• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking more of a $25-$50 charge for a far less extravagant event to make it work. $1500 is fantasyland of the 1%.

Right. That's not an insane amount, but it still really only works for a small local wedding when nobody is traveling to attend. For example, if I'm paying $300 to fly to your wedding and even more than that for a hotel room, my presence is your wedding present.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My ex's family offered to contribute $3,000. So our request for $1,500 for all other guests was not f***ing out of the ordinary. Like, we made it clear. If you couldn't contribute, you weren't invited to our exclusive wedding. It's a once and a lifetime [sic] party."
Hahahahahah oh I'm sure they did.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weddings are the biggest scam. From engagement rings to insanely overpriced ceremonies to insanely overpriced photographers. And there is so much pressure put on women to have their dream wedding to the point where the fact they're getting married (and all of the huge life changes that come with it) is secondary to having the grandest, most Instagrammable ceremony as possible.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the title said 150 which was reasonable (although still weird to ask for your guests to pay). Then I saw 1500?? Is she crazy lol I ain't going to no wedding where I have to pay 1500$

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
It sounds fake. No one can think this is a thing. You are either rich and can afford that price tag or you don't have the funds and you don't get what you can't afford.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
This is crazy but I believe it. People are out of control with weddings these days and get caught up in it. I'd rather go to a funeral than a wedding at this point.

It was absurd. TBF, I am including my drive time in that, which was about 3 hours total. Wedding "started" at noon according to the invite at a church 30 minutes away. Turns out noon was doors (this shit ain't a concert, wtf), so I get there at 11:45 AM and chill for over an hour before it actually starts at 1. The church service (they're Catholic) took almost two hours since it was basically mass combined with a long-ass lecture from the priest about the importance of having babies. Sweet. Reception starts at 4 PM at a hotel that's another thirty minutes away. Cool. Get there at 4, and great, it's actually a cocktail hour that lasts two-hours. Again, I also knew like 3 people here, so this was boring and awkward. Finally at 6 PM they open up the doors to the ballroom for dinner and the actual reception. We find our seats aaaannd, we wait until 7 before we actually get any food. It sucks, great. Around 7:30-8ish people start giving speeches and toasts. This takes forever. Then, oh boy, the bride prepared a fucking choreographed dance routine with the wedding party. Neat, never seen that before. Finally around 9 they open up the dance floor, and I think this was the first time all day I started to have some semblance of enjoyment. Too bad I was already fucking exhausted by this point. Around 10:30 or so things are winding down (a lot of parents with kids were in attendance) so the bride and groom come up to us and are like "Alright guys, time for the after party! Woooo!". Internally I'm screaming fuck that, but whatever, my day is already gone and it's their wedding day so I'll appease them for a little bit. We drive over to another venue (a bar) where they've got this upstairs room rented out. I stay for like half an hour (I have to be sober enough to drive anyway) before I'm like, cool it's been great, congratulations, I'm leaving, and then I drive over an hour to get home. It was past midnight when I walked in the door.

People, don't make your weddings like this. No one enjoys it except you and maybe your mom.

Oct 25, 2017
Relationship with her bf ends, blames everyone else on top of demanding "only" $1500. Even a Vegas wedding sounds too good for her.

Also "..a once and a lifetime party."

Lol.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I am confused. I thought with destination weddings, people paid their own way there? If the $1500 included hotel and airfare isn't that a bit reasonable? Her reactions haven't been but I am ignorant about destination weddings. Someone earlier said that they have been to ones where the hotel and flight were paid for by the bride and groom and another poster said they are paying the lodging but no airfare. What is the norm for destination weddings?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate wedding goers who drop $20 and then eat a bunch of food and drink a lot. Minimum $ gift is $100 unless they specifically say zero gifts or monetary donations.

Mistress 9

Aug 24, 2018
Seattle, WA
This sounds like it belongs on r/ThatHappened.

If it is real, she is nuts though. But that is coming from someone who believes weddings in general are fiscally irresponsible. (not trying to shame people for having weddings at all)

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was absurd. TBF, I am including my drive time in that, which was about 3 hours total. Wedding "started" at noon according to the invite at a church 30 minutes away. Turns out noon was doors (this shit ain't a concert, wtf), so I get there at 11:45 AM and chill for over an hour before it actually starts at 1. The church service (they're Catholic) took almost two hours since it was basically mass combined with a long-ass lecture from the priest about the importance of having babies. Sweet. Reception starts at 4 PM at a hotel that's another thirty minutes away. Cool. Get there at 4, and great, it's actually a cocktail hour that lasts two-hours. Again, I also knew like 3 people here, so this was boring and awkward. Finally at 6 PM they open up the doors to the ballroom for dinner and the actual reception. We find our seats aaaannd, we wait until 7 before we actually get any food. It sucks, great. Around 7:30-8ish people start giving speeches and toasts. This takes forever. Then, oh boy, the bride prepared a fucking choreographed dance routine with the wedding party. Neat, never seen that before. Finally around 9 they open up the dance floor, and I think this was the first time all day I started to have some semblance of enjoyment. Too bad I was already fucking exhausted by this point. Around 10:30 or so things are winding down (a lot of parents with kids were in attendance) so the bride and groom come up to us and are like "Alright guys, time for the after party! Woooo!". Internally I'm screaming fuck that, but whatever, my day is already gone and it's their wedding day so I'll appease them for a little bit. We drive over to another venue (a bar) where they've got this upstairs room rented out. I stay for like half an hour (I have to be sober enough to drive anyway) before I'm like, cool it's been great, congratulations, I'm leaving, and then I drive over an hour to get home. It was past midnight when I walked in the door.

People, don't make your weddings like this. No one enjoys it except you and maybe your mom.
Maybe socialize a bit more? You don't seem fun at weddings.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her maid of honor is too good for their friendship. You got a friend willing to drop 5 grand of her own money on top of planning your event?
czBcyaE.jpg

Lol.

the world is full of fucking loonies..

Would you say the world is full of zanies and fools who don't believe in sensible rules?

Last edited:

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, expensive weddings...

At the very least afford it yourself you idiots. Or budget it down. Or something. Jeez.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of one person in my life I'd pay $1500 to watch get married -- especially as part of some weird Kardashian fantasy.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I mean, weddings are already very expensive to attend by themselves. I have one this weekend and between hotel, travel (not too far, thankfully) and present it's going to be at least $1000. If you get invited to a few weddings in a year, good luck saving some money or days off for vacations (assuming you don't have bigger problems). That being said, that woman is insane, too bad they didn't make a reality show out of it.

Edit: my wife and I had a little wedding in the woods, less than 20 people, then went out to dinner with everyone at a great local restaurant, told people presents not mandatory, couldn't be happier about our decision. No months of stress, save money for trips and future plans and everyone had a good time. That's the way to go, people. Plus, it's much more romantic.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Cost our guests $1300 to attend ours. They got a week in Mexico out of it though. Felt bad about that even

This women is crazy.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are institutions that need to go out of style, Alex?

I believe there's a few studies out there that link cost of wedding with likelihood of divorce, and found a correlation (as cost goes up so does rate of divorce).

Anecdotally, my wife and I got married at the court house and skipped the wedding part and we're still together 8 years later. Sooo...

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone who thinks "What is $1000? What is $1500? Clearly not a lot" but has to ask for that money because she doesn't have it herself got some really, really weird perspective.
Also if I had a relationship since 14 I wouldn't give a fuck where I married them. Like holy shit, the way she reacted tot hat vegas proposal. He's your one and only, why does it matter so much? And then she goes full crazy because people don't want to spend 1500 bucks each on her entitled ass.

She clearly has some issues.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another one falls to the never-ending cycle of stake-raising peer-pressure induced by massive exposure to social media and marketing, resulting from a lack of self-identity and aging hysteria.

Me-too-ism (not the sexual assault kind) at its finest. In their minds it's like the Cold War out there, where every action must be calculated to receive the maximum amount of awe and praise from peers.

No wonder house prices are so high.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe there's a few studies out there that link cost of wedding with likelihood of divorce, and found a correlation (as cost goes up so does rate of divorce).

Anecdotally, my wife and I got married at the court house and skipped the wedding part and we're still together 8 years later. Sooo...
That's due to poverty. If you have an expensuve wedding like 100k but 100k is peanuts to you then it won't matter. If your combined income is 90k and you have a 70k weddding then it becomes a bigger issue.

Expensive isn't bad. Don't get anything you can't comfortably afford.

Oct 25, 2017
If you got to the part with the Psychic and didn't think it was fake, then I dunno guys. There is a pretty obvious trend of fake (usually sexist) stories like this that get shared around that are written in a way that literally anyone would find the subject annoying, entitled, terrible etc.

It's fake as fuck people

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
We felt like we splurged and our wedding cost us $4000? It would have been $3000, but we had a vendor cancel at the last minute and hired a taco truck to cater our wedding instead, which cost a bit more. Best weekend of my life.