• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Well, how it works is: When you're in charge, and things are shit, it's your fault. That's your actual job.

I mean, sure, but just imply everyone who's died was getting fat and it's okay, right?

"Sure, I'm genocidal and hundreds of thousands have died because of my inaction, but let's talk about your weight problems."

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America and Brazil are amazing examples of how incompetence at the top can literally lead to almost a million deaths collectively. So damn sad.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I really hate Bolsonaro and his platform
And I think he completely fucked up the response to the epidemic and is indirectly responsible for thousands upon thousands of deaths

I will also say that the Brazilian people as a whole are also very responsible for the numbers being as fucked up as they are.
The president sets the exemple of ignorance and we fucking follow it to a T.
The same system of ignorance is what enabled him to get elected and would've made the situation bad under any other president, even one who hypothetically, could have actually assisted the Brazilian health system and other gov branches in dealing with the pandemic

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any solid data on reinfections? Last time I searched, numbers seemed very low. This is relevant to me cause I had covid last year.

It depends on what constitutes "solid" data for you.

As I mentioned, I have not seen reinfection data for the P.1 variant based on actual clinically confirmed reinfections (i.e. an individual with two positive tests that were either sequenced as different viruses or were sufficiently far apart). That would be the strongest form of evidence. We know this is possible for non-P.1 variants, just that it seems to occur at very low rates. So in order to conclude that P.1 substantially increases re-infection risk, you would want to see many such examples.

The theory about reinfections in Manaus is based on estimates of earlier infections using antibody tests from blood donors. Using blood donor data, they estimated that 75% of people had been infected. Thus when a large spike of new infections occurred recently, they concluded that the people must have been reinfected. The obvious pitfall with this type of analysis is the assumption that blood donors are a representative sample of the population. If, for some reason, there was a correlation between having an infection and donating blood, then the whole analysis goes out the window.

The other piece of evidence to support the idea of reinfections is that lab tests on cell cultures have shown that P.1 produces a lower antibody response. However that alone is not sufficient evidence, because the similar South African B.1.351 variant does the same thing in lab tests, and also lacks evidence of significant reinfections despite a very high degree of prevalence.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
This seems crazy to me as I have to imagine business is hurting pretty bad in a Brazil thanks to the pandemic raging for a year straight.
In Brazil there's a powerful hatred against the poor, who are seen by the elite as lazy people who could go for a better life if they wanted – which is absolutely bonkers, since there's simply no jobs.

Additionally, in their twisted minds, poor people doesn't invest their money because they "waste" everything in food. They are seen as expenses, as they receive unemployment and retirement benefits. And with a raging mutated virus, who will go protest in the streets?

If I ever survive this ordeal, I will always say that what happened here wasn't a mere virus outbreak: it was a mass killing program sponsored by Bolsonaro cultists. They weaponized the virus, we are being murdered. They will always blame the virus and say it was inevitable to avoid any punishment, but I swear that I won't let this be.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If only we could have predicted that a man that had been a career politic for almost three decades without passing any law to the benefit of anyone and whose platform for election was "being against corruption" (as if anyone is in favour of it) while openly admitting that his former party, and subsequently him had received illegal money from JBS (aka corruption) would make a terrible president, right?

Who could have seen it coming?

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
This seems crazy to me as I have to imagine business is hurting pretty bad in a Brazil thanks to the pandemic raging for a year straight.

they see Bolsonaro as being their guy, fighting against the governors and mayors who implement more restrictive measures which they are against and blame for the economic impact.

also there is a real cult going on, even last year with all the chaos from the pandemic and other constant political dramas Bolsonaro somehow started to recover his approval rating, which still is pretty high, and he enjoys dozens of millions of extremely fanatical supporter,

people spreading BS on whatsapp/youtube has been the key way he managed that so successfully since before the election and it keeps going.

I've never seen anything like it,

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Brazil is a pro hyper capitalist, anti lockdown wet dream.

I don't know how anyone can look at Brazil and still be anti lockdown/anti mask. Unless they think it's all fake news.

BetoJR

Apr 27, 2020
Fortaleza - CE, Brazil
Who could have seen it coming?

Anyone who wasn't a stupid moron, that's who.
But, hey, maybe that's asking too much from the nice people who voted for the guy, just to get rid of the other party, right?

Brazil is a pro hyper capitalist, anti lockdown wet dream.

I don't know how anyone can look at Brazil and still be anti lockdown/anti mask. Unless they think it's all fake news.

I mean, I'm sure some of his supporters do. But they can't ALL think that. I refuse to believe they're all that dumb. They've got to be cannier than that - otherwise their opposition is just way too much worse at this than them. And that's even scarier.