• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Team Are You?

• Team Real

Votes: 871 33.2%
  • Team Fake

Votes: 1,431 54.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 322 12.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What does an app for a game mean anyway? I mean why on the console itself? This doesn't make sense. Such companion apps exist on mobiles to complement the main game. I wonder what a console app will offer.
And from the latest update, it won't offer anythign it seems. So they want to keep the mystery and hide the identity of the game even longer. See how the app isn't on PC or mobile, cus on those platforms it will be insta decoded and datamined.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
there's no reason to believe the app exists. or that anything this guy says is true.

I can also say that I have an app on the ps store. it drops this thursday.
Yeah, but would that get you a feature on PS Blog?
One thing that we can all agree on is that Sony could use with better quality control.
So Hasan is lying even to Sony and Sony verified his account?

I don't think you can do that.
I am 100% convinced this is just a random indie dev who was trying to push his next asset flip app and accidentally created a Silent Hill conspiracy.

BUT the only thing I cannot understand is how he got to be featured on the PS blog. It's not even just a mention in some "indies highlights" post, it's actually a full post about Abandoned with his name as author.

From what I can see only bigger third party publishers or known indie developers have gotten onto the PS blog.

So how the fuck did this guy manage it?

Puzzling.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does an app for a game mean anyway? I mean why on the console itself? This doesn't make sense. Such companion apps exist on mobiles to complement the main game. I wonder what a console app will offer.
And from the latest update, it won't offer anythign it seems. So they want to keep the mystery and hide the identity of the game even longer. See how the app isn't on PC or mobile, cus on those platforms it will be insta decoded and datamined.
Correct me if wrong, but I vaguely recall someone saying that the app was supposed to render the trailers natively on the PS5, basically they'd be like in-game cutscenes.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
The purpose of the app is to render the trailers natively on PS5.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
only killzone 2 had an app used to show off the ingame graphics, it was a trailer where you could move the camera around in realtime, that was a sony 1st party game, so why is this game getting an app? This makes no sense whatsoever

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
The app seems weird for an indie dev to do though. Surely creating it, especially early on in development, takes a bit of work, not to mention optimising it so that it runs well and gives a good impression. I can see a big studio having the resources but this is just extra work that would be better spent on making the game

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if wrong, but I vaguely recall someone saying that the app was supposed to render the trailers natively on the PS5, basically they'd be like in-game cutscenes.

The purpose of the app is to render the trailers natively on PS5.

I know but this still doesn't make any sense even more. Why run the trailers in real time and make the console sweat but you can't interact with them while you could have done it via just a youtube video, unless the trailers themselves are interactive or hide something within their code.

only killzone 2 had an app used to show off the ingame graphics, it was a trailer where you could move the camera around in realtime, that was a sony 1st party game, so why is this game getting an app? This makes no sense whatsoever

Exactly.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Another theory/speculation on the developer that has been registered since 2015 and even had a supposed title in the works that never came out:
The P.T. demo was released in August 2014. What if Blue Box was part of an ARG that was meant to happen back in 2015 as part of another Silent Hills promotion, but never came to fruition, because of what happened between Kojima & Konami meanwhile?

This is super tinfoily, but I like to think that it could have happened like that. :D

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
I know but this still doesn't make any sense even more. Why run the trailers in real time and make the console sweat but you can't interact with them while you could have done it via just a youtube video, unless the trailers themselves are interactive or hide something within their code.
It makes sense from a marketing perspective as it is something that no one does and is consistent with their speech.

"LOOK AT OUR GAME THAT LOOKS NEXT GEN RUNNING IN REAL TIME IN YOUR CONSOLE!"
Anything released on PSN has to go through Sony certification I'm sure.
Nobody has said otherwise, why would an APP like this be denied certification?

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see a kind of early access app that fills this purpose. That said, Hasan might say an app is going up on Friday, but I don't think it will.

Perhaps he really did intend to get an app up on the given date, but I think at this point he took it for granted that Sony would just accept his weird app without much scrutiny. Now he's encountering obstacles in delivering the promised app because it's not as straightforward as he assumed. Understandable, considering he managed to slip an asset flip through the cracks and onto the psblog.

That said, if Sony actually publish this app that has no initial purpose, but will push updates to users (which is something Sony would need to keep a close eye on) - then there is definitely something weird going on. I've been #TeamFake from the start, but if an app is approved by Sony with these vague descriptions and "milestones" and it actually makes it onto the storefront... That would raise a lot of questions.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
It's not just the PS Blog feature that was strange but that the "trailer app" is/was (as of 8 days ago) featured in the "Official News" section of the PS5 console UI. Now that is some exclusive shit lmao. Anyone have a janky shovelware counterexample for that?

edit: In fact, if you're not at your console, you can see it now in that same section of the PS app. This, to me, seems written by Sony themselves, though I could be wrong.

edit 2: Nah, after some searching, Sony explicitly says "official news from developers" in several spots on their site. It's strange but doesn't mean a whole lot.

Last edited:

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Anything released on PSN has to go through Sony certification I'm sure.

With the whole Cyberpunk viasco I think we learned anything that doesn't brick your console will pass certification. It's more of a technical checklist I think, so an app that that plays trailers is probably very easy to get certified.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't game on PC very much outside of racing/driving games, but the Epic Games actually seems to be doing a good job of this. This is from the perspective of someone who doesn't use it, though.

This isn't the greatest comparison, you're looking at EGS, a storefront that's been operating since a few years vs Steam, a platform that's been growing just shy of a couple decades. I don't agree with the notion that titles need to meet a certain quality barrier to be allowed onto a specific storefront. The actual consumers of the content will decide if its worth buying and that will also be reflected in the user reviews which will inform the larger potential userbase. I don't think a digital storefront should be limited by strict curation, though it's ultimately up to the platform holder to make that decision. EGS imo doesn't deserve any credit for "intentional" curation as they're already in such a limited spot wrt their history for being in this space to begin with. I say that as someone that's been redeeming all their free games and purchasing various timed exclusives since the initial EGS launch.

Apr 20, 2021
b1x9avV.jpg

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Vagrant Story and Lone Echo 2 have both done this. It's rare but not unheard of.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
It's not just the PS Blog feature that was strange but that the "trailer app" is/was (as of 8 days ago) featured in the "Official News" section of the PS5 console UI. Now that is some exclusive shit lmao. Anyone have a janky shovelware counterexample for that?

edit: In fact, if you're not at your console, you can see it now in that same section of the PS app. This, to me, seems written by Sony themselves, though I could be wrong.

edit 2: Nah, after some searching, Sony explicitly says "official news from developers" in several spots on their site. It's strange but doesn't mean a whole lot.
Yeah I don't see it on the PS app's official need section…unless I have to scroll down to April news.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
This isn't the greatest comparison, you're looking at EGS, a storefront that's been operating since a few years vs Steam, a platform that's been growing just shy of a couple decades. I don't agree with the notion that titles need to meet a certain quality barrier to be allowed onto a specific storefront. The actual consumers of the content will decide if its worth buying and that will also be reflected in the user reviews which will inform the larger potential userbase. I don't think a digital storefront should be limited by strict curation, though it's ultimately up to the platform holder to make that decision. EGS imo doesn't deserve any credit for "intentional" curation as they're already in such a limited spot wrt their history for being in this space to begin with. I say that as someone that's been redeeming all their free games and purchasing various timed exclusives since the initial EGS launch.
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but one I disagree with.

If a store is too messy or filled with asset flips and broken games I feel less inclined to browse it, and thus purchase something from it. It has been shown that giving customers too many options can lead to less satisfaction and sales, which I believe is one of the factors in stuff like people's preference for Apple's crafted ecosystem or console gaming over PC.

There should obviously be a space where all kinds of games get a shot, but I don't really think consoles are it. That isn't to say that games of a lower budget and production values shouldn't be welcomed, only that having stuff like The Life of Black Tiger, Joe's Diner, Orc Slayer, Skylight Freerange 2, the Gilson B Pontes games, or Hasan's previous efforts being allowed on the PS store only signals they don't really care. Specially when PS's refund policy is so strict.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but one I disagree with.

If a store is too messy or filled with asset flips and broken games I feel less inclined to browse it, and thus purchase something from it. It has been shown that giving customers too many options can lead to less satisfaction and sales, which I believe is one of the factors in stuff like people's preference for Apple's crafted ecosystem or console gaming over PC.

There should obviously be a space where all kinds of games get a shot, but I don't really think consoles are it. That isn't to say that games of a lower budget and production values shouldn't be welcomed, only that having stuff like The Life of Black Tiger, Joe's Diner, Orc Slayer, Skylight Freerange 2, the Gilson B Pontes games, or Hasan's previous efforts being allowed on the PS store only signals they don't really care. Specially when PS's refund policy is so strict.

Right, if you're looking at this strictly through the lens of a console user that expects to not see janky, early access tier titles (which are a thing now on consoles) on your platform of choice I get that, yet as someone that's been using these storefronts for awhile there are systems in place to show you the top rated or currently trending titles just the same. The odds of you accidentally purchasing an asset flip vaporware tier title are pretty slim. We also have the refund option in place, 2 hours playtime vs 14 days since purchase. I think that's more than enough leeway to avoiding being screwed over by a "scam" game.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Right, if you're looking at this strictly through the lens of a console user that expects to not see janky, early access tier titles (which are a thing now on consoles) on your platform of choice I get that, yet as someone that's been using these storefronts for awhile there are systems in place to show you the top rated or currently trending titles just the same. The odds of you accidentally purchasing an asset flip vaporware tier title are pretty slim. We also have the refund option in place, 2 hours playtime vs 14 days since purchase. I think that's more than enough leeway to avoiding being screwed over by a "scam" game.
It's not about accidental purchase as much as burying legitimately good games under the pile of… let's call them not-so-good ones. If you filter the PS5 store by anything other than top selling/downloaded titles, the sheer amount of stuff on there is discouraging to search through for anyone that wants to find quality indies among the big titles that grab your attention and the sheer volume of other releases.

The collections thing they have is a good step in the right direction, but because no human can keep track of every single title that gets released on the store, a lot of the better smaller games struggle to get attention.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Another theory/speculation on the developer that has been registered since 2015 and even had a supposed title in the works that never came out:
The P.T. demo was released in August 2014. What if Blue Box was part of an ARG that was meant to happen back in 2015 as part of another Silent Hills promotion, but never came to fruition, because of what happened between Kojima & Konami meanwhile?

This is super tinfoily, but I like to think that it could have happened like that. :D

PT was "from" "7780s Studio".
Silent Hills, Del Toro and Kojima were named in the "credits" of PT.
I don't see how a Blue Box Games Studio would have taken the stage.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
lol they are really smart kept silent until now which lead to more people to know them

They've had this on their website since mid-April.

Our response to the Hideo Kojima Rumors
We received several emails regarding the Hideo Kojima rumor. We have no association with Hideo Kojima nor do we claim to have any association nor was it our intention to claim such a statement. We are a small group of developers working on a passionate title we wanted to work on for a long time. We have been assisting other studios in the past with their projects and we wanted to work on our very first big project. While it is true that we've been working on small projects in the past, we certainly didn't use that for marketing purposes. We hope this has clarified this matter and hope to see you all in our very first gameplay reveal of Abandoned.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
With the whole Cyberpunk viasco I think we learned anything that doesn't brick your console will pass certification. It's more of a technical checklist I think, so an app that that plays trailers is probably very easy to get certified.

Nobody has said otherwise, why would an APP like this be denied certification?

If it failed any of the tests Sony do for certification. That's even simple stuff like not using the right icons for the buttons etc.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I really think if this ""app"" is real, it'll just be uploaded as a "demo" on the games hub, not as what we would traditionally call an app. Just a demo, which is what they are billing it as. Something any dev can do.

If I were on the Real team I wouldn't cling to this so-called app as evidence.

Message from OP- Thank you!
OP
OP
joshcam19

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Just wanted to say no matter what happens (things look like they may be leaning towards Team Fake as of the most recent updates). Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for making my first thread a memorable one. I don't typically do a ton of interactions on social media or messaging boards because I get social anxiety but even if this turns out to be nothing but a hoax it was still a fun ride and I appreciate everyone contributing to this. Hope everyone has a fantastic week!

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to say no matter what happens (things look like they may be leaning towards Team Fake as of the most recent updates). Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for making my first thread a memorable one. I don't typically do a ton of interactions on social media or messaging boards because I get social anxiety but even if this turns out to be nothing but a hoax it was still a fun ride and I appreciate everyone contributing to this. Hope everyone has a fantastic week!

No matter what happens you've made my imagination go wild which I appreciate

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
Well the theory that Konami is a part of this was always a flimsy one, so it doesn't do much to dissuade me; It wasn't really compatible with the theory that this is Kojima. At this point, there's also basically nothing that Blue Box can say to convince me to join #teamfake. I'll wait for an official statement from Sony / Kojimaproductions or the app/trailer.

Last edited:

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for making this thread, it's been the most fun I've had involving Kojima and video game internet nonsense in a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm switching to Team Fake lol

Just gonna work with the expectation of this being an asset-flipped horror game that will never be fully complete, Bloober Team will make a bad Silent Hill game, and Kojima will make another great, weird project for Xbox.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I am 100% convinced this is just a random indie dev who was trying to push his next asset flip app and accidentally created a Silent Hill conspiracy.

BUT the only thing I cannot understand is how he got to be featured on the PS blog. It's not even just a mention in some "indies highlights" post, it's actually a full post about Abandoned with his name as author.

From what I can see only bigger third party publishers or known indie developers have gotten onto the PS blog.

So how the fuck did this guy manage it?

Puzzling.
Sometimes the grift is so strong that it can fool unsuspecting people.

Status
Not open for further replies.