UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This proves my point. You just endlessly defend. Not interesting in hearing anything not aligned to your viewpoint. It is a way of communicating, I admit.

There's nothing necessary to defend when Star Wars films by and large make massive amounts of money.

The fact that only 3/21 Marvel films can make more than a divisive Star Wars entry like The Last Jedi says it all.

The new trilogy is more popular and making more money than the prequels did. I know that chaps the asses of people who desperately want to push the "Star Wars is over after The Last Jedi!!!! They didn't do what I wanted with Lueky! So it's OVER! You hear me Kennedy!" clan but whatever, lol.

I didn't like the prequels and was gutted when they came out, but I was never arrogant enough as some of these fans are today to say dumb shit like "no one likes Star Wars! It's over cuz I don't like it!".

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The movie that really honestly established the defacto Star Wars tone is Empire IMO. That's where a lot of the mythos get cemented, and that tonally is damn sure not a kids movie. The Goonies is a kids movie, and tonally even as a kid I knew there was a massive difference between The Goonies and even Indiana Jones, let alone Empire Strikes Back.
How does that matter at all when the first movie was the most popular movie and resonates with kids?

Sounds more likely you came away with a different interpretation than the creators intent.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good for you, but lol at IW really being "emotional". It's about as contrived as it gets and you know no one important is really going to die in the Marvel universe nor is there going to be any kind of revelation that really startles you.

You say this like death couldn't be more of a passive joke in the star wars universe. Nobody

Story's that last have something to say, that change the way stories are told .. there's nothing in IW or EG as profound as "Do or Do not. There is no try or the basic Yoda-isms.

Ok, now I know you've got to be kidding. There's nothing deep about anything Yoda has to say in those silly sayings. They're the kind of thing you'd roll your eyes at if you got them from a fortune cookie, let alone from someone who is ostensibly supposed to be a great teacher.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does that matter at all when the first movie was the most popular movie and resonates with kids?

Sounds more likely you came away with a different interpretation than the creators intent.

The first movie was a hit, but I think in terms of the Star Wars "universe" and the "franchise" being well a franchise ... that's really on the shoulders of Empire Strikes Back for setting the tone for the rest of the franchise.

Even Lucas has said that Empire had to be successful and establish the rules if it was going to be a series.

Otherwise they could have just made "Star Wars 2" which would've been a nice fun "more adventures of Luke" ... but doing what they did in Empire is what took Star Wars to the level where people still talk about it today.

If they just made a straight forward "Star Wars 2", likely no one really cares about that franchise today. It would be like Aliens or Back to the Future or something else that fizzled out decades ago.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's true. Neither of my teens care for the movies at all, and none of their friends seem to either. I think the big difference is that kids don't care about traditional media as much as we did. They'd much rather watch random crap on youtube than movies or TV shows.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You say this like death couldn't be more of a passive joke in the star wars universe. Nobody

Ok, now I know you've got to be kidding. There's nothing deep about anything Yoda has to say in those silly sayings.

I mean Francis Ford Coppolla literally said to Lucas he should consider making an actual religion out of the Force. And if he had the scary thing is I bet it would have millions of followers today.

It was, whether people like it or not, fairly influential on a lot of people. The themes and characterizations of the OT have stood the test of time, if you want to argue that seriously I mean go ahead, lol, because that person is clearly not living on planet earth.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The first movie was a hit, but I think in terms of the Star Wars "universe" and the "franchise" being well a franchise ... that's really on the shoulders of Empire Strikes Back for setting the tone for the rest of the franchise.

Even Lucas has said that Empire had to be successful and establish the rules if it was going to be a series.

Otherwise they could have just made "Star Wars 2" which would've been a nice fun "more adventures of Luke" ... but doing what they did in Empire is what took Star Wars to the level where people still talk about it today.

If they just made a straight forward "Star Wars 2", likely no one really cares about that franchise today. It would be like Aliens or Back to the Future or something else that fizzled out decades ago.
None of that contradicts the running consistent theme of star wars being primarily for kids or did you completely forget RoTJ and the large portion of time dedicated to ewoks?

Lucas wasn't exactly subtle.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of that contradicts the running consistent theme of star wars being primarily for kids or did you completely forget RoTJ and the large portion of time dedicated to ewoks?

There's nothing about Star Wars that is subtle. The first freaking shot of the movie is 100000 foot space ship running down a tiny cruiser.

That's a stylistic choice ... that worked.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I think, like a lot of Hollywood movies these days it lacks iconic moments, boring story and none of it stands out. It has unmemorable characters and scenes and music just like many other movies today. It has no real artistic or striking vision just a long rollercoaster of a ride with no substance but lots of special effects to appeal to the mass market and ditch everything else that made it good.

Like if you ask me a single sequence or scenario in any of the new Star Wars movies I would genuinely have a hard time remembering anything that really stood out that was really cool. Or a sequence of events that will be forever be remembered unlike the older movies.

Say what you want about George Lucas's writing skills but the guy is a genuine visionary and it really showed in his Star Wars films. From the iconic Darth Maul fight with that music, to the scene with Palpatine and Anakin in that theatre talking about midichlorians and bringing the dead back to life. To Luke meeting Yoda in Dagobah, the Pod race, the dramatic battle with Sidious in Jedi, the tense moment where Luke realises the truth about Darth Vader in Empire....there were so many. It was all very memorable and really well made and put together. The characters were cool too. Count Dooku, the Emperor, Yoda, Jabba etc. Even Darth Maul who never even said a single word had a huge amount of presence. None of the characters in the new ones stick out and I don't wanna root for any of them. Why is that?

The new Star Wars films have none of above. They have bad writers and directors being passed willy nilly because Disney don't know what to do with the story and who to give it to it lacked any focus. JJ Abrams hasn't made anything that great in the past why was he picked? Like I don't think of JJ and think omg he would be amazing for Star Wars. Just because he's the only sci fi writer out there? He's never been that great?

In the end the new Star Wars sequels are just Hollywood movies with big budget special effects and no substance. That's what Disney has turned them into. They are terrible Star Wars films but on their own they are ok films for the majority of the masses I suppose who will eat up anything that's marketed.

It's a shadow of its former self and just a badly mishandled IP they've run into the ground with crap decisions and no direction.

Last edited:

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know you think the prequels feel more like SW compared to the new trilogy. I feel the exact opposite. If you put all 3 trilogies together it's pretty obvious which one is not like the others. And I like the prequels as crap as they are.

I like that the prequel trilogy actually shows new things, a new setting. All the books about this time period are really good.
The new episodes just feel like rehashes of episodes 4 and 5 though. There is nothing new, despite them taking place afterwards.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ewoks is the first time in Star Wars actually I felt like there was an element of the films that were shoe horned in "just for the kiddies". I felt that way even as a kid, kids aren't that stupid they know when they're being talked down to.

Unfortunately the Ewoks were basically a harbringer of what Lucas would do in the prequels.

Jedi delivers the goods mostly because of fucking phenomenal third act where Palpatine takes over and shows you Darth Vader is a teddy bear compared to real evil but man, did Lucas ever start to flirt with disaster there.

Dec 12, 2017

Nope, he wasn't.

I'm just gonna leave this right here:

"One thing he said to me was, 'Remember, Jon, the real audience for all stories and all myths is the kids that are coming of age.'" Favreau recalled. "We enjoy the stories as adults, but really, storytelling is about imparting the wisdom of the previous generations on to the children who are becoming adults, and giving them a context for how to behave and how to learn the lessons of the past without making the mistakes on their own. "

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
There's nothing about Star Wars that is subtle. The first freaking shot of the movie is 100000 foot space ship running down a tiny cruiser.

That's a stylistic choice ... that worked.
Exactly and George Lucas had one thought when making the franchise and that was selling stuff to kids. That's why he kept the toy rights, that's he made the clone wars (which was a ridiculously expensive cartoon), that's why ewoks exist, that's why EP 1 anakin is a kid. It's always been about selling shit to kids.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I think, like a lot of Hollywood movies these days it lacks iconic moments, boring story and none of it stands out. It has unmemorable characters and scenes and music just like many other movies today. It has no real artistic or striking vision just a long rollercoaster of a ride with no substance but lots of special effects to appeal to the mass market and ditch everything else that made it good,

Like if you ask me a single sequence or scenario in any of the new Star Wars movies I would genuinely have a hard time remembering anything that really stood out that was really cool or a sequence of events that will be forever remembered unlike the older movies,

Say what you want about George Lucas's writing skills but the guy is a genuine visionary and it really showed in his Star Wars films. From the iconic Darth Mail fight with that music, to the scene with Palpatine and Anakin in that theatre talking about midichlorians and bringing the dead back to life. To Luke meeting Yoda in Dagobah, the dramatic battle with the Sidious in Jedi, the tense moment Luke realises the truth about Darth Vader in Empire....there were so many. It was all very memorable and really well made and put together. The characters were cool too. Count Dooku, the emperor, Yoda, Janna etc. Nike of the characters in the new ones stick out and I don't wanna root for any of them. Why is that?

The new Star Wars films have none of above. They have bad writers and directors being passed willy nilly because Disney don't know what to do with the story and who to give it to it lacked any focus. JJ Abrams hasn't made anything that great in the past why was he picked? Like I don't think of JJ and think omg he would be amazing for Star Wars. Just because he's the only sci fo writer out there? He's never been that great.

In the end the new Star Wars sequels are just Hollywood movies with big budget special effects and no substance. That's what Disney has turned them into. They are terrible Star Wars films but on their own they are ok films for the majority of the masses I suppose who will eat up anything that's marketed.
Agreed. The only thing that stands out and being memorable from Disney Star Wars so far is Rogue One suicide mission. Everything else just feels indeed like a "long but pretty rollercoaster with no substance".

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly and George Lucas had one thought when making the franchise and that was selling stuff to kids. That's why he kept the toy rights, that's he made the clone wards, that's why ewoks exist. It's always been about selling shit to kids.

His intentions in a way are secondary to the art produced though. It doesn't matter if a director is making a movie for money to buy a house, blow, hookers, whatever.

Whatever the reasoning is, he still made Star Wars and contributed to Empire, which had a certain established tone that the Ewoks kinda didn't really fit into.

I mean really at this point I think a large part of Star Wars after researching how they were made/written was a fluke.

It was a fucking fluke. They caught lightning in a bottle and something that maybe should've been a silly Flash Gordon knock off organically somehow turned into something brilliant.

But it wasn't by some master design. Shit just came together, and then Lucas couldn't replicate that in the prequels because he didn't really understand himself what the hell he had made the first time out which also was beholden to several other collaborators including two other directors full stop.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I think managing the Star Wars license, as old as it is, would require only the very best in talented fans to curate the franchise - basically it needed its own Kevin Feige to make sure the magic of the OT remained in the new films while still avoiding the repetition we've seen. Disney/Lucasfilm should have sat on the franchise until they had their 'dream team' to properly manage the property, but I'm guessing George putting Kathleen Kennedy in charge of Lucasfilm meant there had to be a push to prove themselves when the acquisition happened.

Such a shame. Kids, just like everyone else, resonate with well-written characters and IMO the new films just don't have that. They focus too much on the flimsy retreaded stories and don't give us enough time to get to know the characters. Compare the introductions of Luke in the original and Rey in TFA.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think managing the Star Wars license, as old as it is, would require only the very best in talented fans to curate the franchise - basically it needed its own Kevin Feige to make sure the magic of the OT remained in the new films while still avoiding the repetition we've seen. Disney/Lucasfilm should have sat on the franchise until they had their 'dream team' to properly manage the property, but I'm guessing George putting Kathleen Kennedy in charge of Lucasfilm meant there had to be a push to prove themselves when the acquisition happened.

Such a shame. Kids, just like everyone else, resonate with well-written characters and IMO the new films just don't have that. They focus too much on the flimsy retreaded stories and don't give us enough time to get to know the characters. Compare the introductions of Luke in the original and Rey in TFA.

It's harder to manage Star Wars because you actually have to create the stories and characters on the fly.

Marvel, Tolkien, Game of Thrones, DC, Harry Potter, are always going to be an easier job to manage, if you ever get stuck you just go to a comic book shop and your ideas are all there already test run on your target base anyway.

Saying "well just make a resonant character like Han Solo" is not that easy. You don't just snap your finger and pull a character like that outta your ass.

I think the new Game of Thrones spin-off show on HBO is gonna have that same problem ... good luck making new characters that compare to the ones GRRM made and built up over 20 years.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
His intentions in a way are secondary to the art produced though. It doesn't matter if a director is making a movie for money to buy a house, blow, hookers, whatever.

Whatever the reasoning is, he still made Star Wars and contributed to Empire, which had a certain established tone that the Ewoks kinda didn't really fit into.

I mean really at this point I think a large part of Star Wars after researching how they were made/written was a fluke.

It was a fucking fluke. They caught lightning in a bottle and something that maybe should've been a silly Flash Gordon knock off organically somehow turned into something brilliant.

But it wasn't by some master design. Shit just came together, and then Lucas couldn't replicate that in the prequels because he didn't really understand himself what the hell he had made the first time out which also was beholden to several other collaborators including two other directors full stop.
It's not secondary though the majority of the content was tailored towards kids with some extra stuff adults would appreciate to add grounding and widen the audience like Disney movies. That was his goal guide and aim that's why the prequel trilogy is the way it is, that's why the majority of the OT is the way it is.

Star Wars was the first live action block buster. If he tried to tailor it more to adults it wouldn't be star wars because that film was one of it's kind at the time.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not secondary though the majority of the content was tailored towards kids with some extra stuff adults would appreciate to add grounding and widen the audience like Disney movies. That was his goal guide and aim that's why the prequel trilogy is the way it is, that's why the majority of the OT is the way it is.

Star Wars was the first live action block buster. If he tried to tailor it more to adults it wouldn't be star wars because that film was one of it's kind at the time.

Tonally the OT and PT to me are miles (miiiiiiles apart). I felt even The Mummy in 1999 felt more like Star Wars than The Phantom Menace did.

There's no real scenes in ANH or ESB that are purely just "lets stop the plot here and put some shit in just for 6 year olds" the way the Ewoks felt or the entirity of The Phantom Menace minus the political scenes (lol, great mix there George, everyone knows the kiddies love CSPAN).

The Disney films at least to me feel like the same universe, similar tone to ANH/Empire. Are they as well executed? No of course not, but that's a tall order.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
It's harder to manage Star Wars because you actually have to create the stories and characters on the fly.

Marvel, Tolkien, Game of Thrones, DC, Harry Potter, are always going to be an easier job to manage, if you ever get stuck you just go to a comic book shop and your ideas are all there already test run on your target base anyway.

Saying "well just make a resonant character like Han Solo" is not that easy. You don't just snap your finger and pull a character like that outta your ass.

Talon Karrde from the Star Wars Expanded Universe? Disney could get Hollywood screenwriters to tweak and improve EU characters and stories for their movies.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Seems obvious. New generations will be more interested in new media and don't have the attachment older generations have to older media.
I don't agree. There are plenty of franchises that have stood the test of time, but only because they have radically changed with the times. Sherlock Holmes, James Bond... Hell, even Star Trek when you look at how they pulled in new fans with TNG. the problem with Star Wars is the fact is relies heavily of nostalgia at the moment.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Tonally the OT and PT to me are miles (miiiiiiles apart). I felt even The Mummy in 1999 felt more like Star Wars than The Phantom Menace did.

There's no real scenes in ANH or ESB that are purely just "lets stop the plot here and put some shit in just for 6 year olds" the way the Ewoks felt or the entirity of The Phantom Menace minus the political scenes (lol, great mix there George, everyone knows the kiddies love CSPAN).
That's because the plot itself was for 6 years olds and up, Lucas says this. That's your disconnect.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree. There are plenty of franchises that have stood the test of time, but only because they have radically changed with the times. Sherlock Holmes, James Bond... Hell, even Star Trek when you look at how they pulled in new fans with TNG. the problem with Star Wars is the fact is relies heavily of nostalgia at the moment.

I mean Sherlock Holmes has had some very mixed results. That leaves James Bond (which really is a much more simplistic series ... Bond just has to be likable and cool and you're 80% of the way home).

Star Trek: The Next Generation is the only real example of that and it had a lot more room to grow into its own because the 60s TV series was really cheesy at times. Once TNG found its groove with more serious storytelling it became very apparent overall than it was beyond TOS in many respects.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Definitely has to do with the lack of world building, imagination, and original story telling in the sequel trilogy.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's because the plot itself was for 6 years olds and up, Lucas says this. That's your disconnect.

I like kids movies. TPM was a god awful kids movie. If you want to make a kids movie, fine, great. I love to watch E.T. or animated Disney movies to this day. No problem.

The prequels problems in part are tonally there's no consistency at all. TPM is a kids movie ... mixed with a very boring political movie ... uh these two go together ... how?

AOTC as the name would suggest is supposed to be a homage to cheesy B-movies. OK, fine ... make that movie. Except it's also supposed to be a Shakespearian epic romance across the stars that you have to invest in like Titanic. Errr ... what?

ROTS is the only prequel were Lucas actively actually understood it's a dark operatic tragedy, and there's even literal scene at the opera in it, lol.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I get it, man. SW is your god king and as such renders you unable to be objective.

Excuse me for butting in, but why can't the poster have that opinion without the fact they like SW being used as a means to undermine it?

I know plenty of people that agree with him/her. Just because you're a fan of something, it doesn't necessarily mean you can't critique things.

They prefer SW to MCU, you prefer MCU to SW. That's fine, it's subjective.

As for the subject at hand, I'd probably agree that given the amount of competition there is out there, the SW franchise isn't going to have the same impact it did in its hay day. This shouldn't be breaking news though, as it happens to every franchise.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Last Jedi and Solo sucked, and Rogue One was a dreary war film. Why would kids be into this franchise in 2019?

Dec 12, 2017
Excuse me for butting in, but why can't the poster have that opinion without the fact they like SW being used as a means to undermine it?

I know plenty of people that agree with him/her. Just because you're a fan of something, it doesn't necessarily mean you can't critique things.

They prefer SW to MCU, you prefer MCU to SW. That's fine, it's subjective.

That's just it. I said the poster didn't have the ability to be objective. I have no issue with their subjective opinion because it is just that--subjective.

I love SW but I can critique it objectively. It was once great but not infallible. Based on our limited interactions, it appeared the poster could not offer up any such critique.

And please, butt in. This is a conversation open to any and all. 🙂

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If quality of the most recent film was a barometer of Star Wars' relevance, then the franchise should've died about 20 years ago in 1999 and this thread shouldn't exist.
I would argue that the prequels DID start us down this path. I think Episodes 3 and 7 did some fine work to course correct, but I think we are now in territory where the quality is heavily diminished, and the understanding that these are films for kids is completely gone.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's just it. I said the poster didn't have the ability to be objective. I have no issue with their subjective opinion because it is just that--subjective.

I love SW but I can critique it objectively. It was once great but not infallible. Based on our limited interactions, it appeared the poster could not offer up any such critique.

lol, please find where I ever said Star Wars was "infallible". In fact I've said on this board many times there hasn't been a great Star Wars movie probably in 38 years.

The Disney movies are alright, better than the prequels, and that's basically all I expected. The fact that they still make the kind of money they do is a testament though to the brand's power.

You tell me if Marvel made three consecutive shit Avengers films that they'd be able to fart out a 4th one and have it make $2+ billion at the box office the next time out or even $1.3 billion after a decade hiatus. I very much doubt it.

The fact that Star Wars can do that shows how powerful the brand is.

There hasn't been what I would label a AAA Star Wars movie since 1983 at best (and that's being generous to ROTJ probably) ... and yet the only franchise property in existence today almost 40 years later that can beat a mainline Star Wars film is Avengers ... NOT Marvel, a general Marvel film even cannot get that job done. It takes the Avengers (which is basically an All-Star collection of all the heroes rolled into one film) and only a branded Avengers movie to do it.

What does that say? Irrelevant brand my ass.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I liked The Phantom Menace a lot when I was a kid. To some degree I feel I was, massive quotes, "indoctrinated" into hating it as I grew older. I've reevaluated it and now I find it tolerable, but I do think a ton of people's opinions are influenced by groupthink. That's true of all the prequels for me, although I still really dislike Attack of the Clones.

The Last Jedi and Solo sucked, and Rogue One was a dreary war film. Why would kids be into this franchise in 2019?

I mean, most people liked TLJ so that's a weird metric, ha ha.

Dec 12, 2017
lol, please find where I ever said Star Wars was "infallible". In fact I've said on this board many times there hasn't been a great Star Wars movie probably in 38 years.

The Disney movies are alright, better than the prequels, and that's basically all I expected. The fact that they still make the kind of money they do is a testament though to the brand's power.

You tell me if Marvel made three consecutive shit Avengers films that they'd be able to fart out a 4th one and have it make $2+ billion at the box office the next time out or even $1.3 billion after a decade hiatus. I very much doubt it.

The fact that Star Wars can do that shows how powerful the brand is.

There hasn't been what I would label a AAA Star Wars movie since 1983 at best (and that's being generous to ROTJ probably) ... and yet the only franchise property in existence today almost 40 years later that can beat a mainline Star Wars film is Avengers ... NOT Marvel, a general Marvel film even cannot get that job done. It takes the Avengers (which is basically an All-Star collection of all the heroes rolled into one film) and only a branded Avengers movie to do it.

What does that say? Irrelevant brand my ass.
Which SW movies are releasing in the next 2 years for that powerful brand?

Can you link me?

They gonna announce the 2020 and 2021 movies at D23?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which SW movies are releasing in the next 2 years for that powerful brand?

Can you link me?

They gonna announce the 2020 and 2021 movies at D23?

What difference does it make? Facts are facts? Star Wars isn't a property that should have a yearly film anyway, there's not many franchises where you could make a new one every year.

The fact is the fact ... Star Wars hasn't had really any great films in almost 35+ years and yet the only entertainment brand that can beat it at the box office is Avengers (not Marvel ... Avengers branded films only).

That's impressive whether you want to admit it or not.

Dec 12, 2017
A Tallon Karrde film would be what? A

What difference does it make? Facts are facts? Star Wars isn't a property that should have a yearly film anyway, there's not many franchises where you could make a new one every year.

The fact is the fact ... Star Wars hasn't had really any great films in almost 35+ years and yet the only entertainment brand that can beat it at the box office is Avengers (not Marvel ... Avengers branded films only).

That's impressive whether you want to admit it or not.
So no link? K thanks.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So no link? K thanks.

I can link you to Box office Mojo. Please do list all the numerous franchises that are making more money than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

I'll save you the time because there's only 1, period.

Star Wars today is more like a current LeBron than a 40 year old Jordan. In their prime? No. Showing some age? Definitely. Washed up and has been? Now you're smoking some crack.

Dec 12, 2017
Not any as far as I know, following the only Star Wars film bomb the series has experienced to date that is not about droids, Ewoks, or Jabba's son.
Could you imagine Disney completely shelving Marvel for 24 months?

I find it fascinating that they literally don't see a value add to having SW in the release slate for 24 months.

I never would have thought but here we are.

Oct 25, 2017
Could you imagine Disney completely shelving Marvel for 24 months?

I find it fascinating that they literally don't see a value add to having them in the release slate for 24 months.

I never would have thought but here we are.

It evidently wasn't a good idea to approach it in the same way that Marvel approached it, so they stopped trying to make a bad idea work. Instead, they're trying to approach it in a way that will produce better movies that more people will be interested in.

There's more ways to be successful than being a cinematic universe.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does that have the release dates I asked about?

Stay on target.

Star Wars has never been released yearly, why exactly did you think that would work now? Because general audiences are going to give a fuck about Talon Kardde? What exactly is there that can carry a movie? What's the compelling character trait? Who's the villain? What are the stakes?

The point is there's no entertainment property on planet earth that can reliably beat Star Wars even a Star Wars that isn't really in its prime except Avengers and Avengers only. Nothing else.

You can't refute that. And for the record Disney has like what? 4 Star Wars movies in active development? There's the Game of Thrones guys working on a trilogy, then you have Rian Johnson getting apparently at least one film, and a TV series. So what if they're dated or not.

Dec 12, 2017
It evidently wasn't a good idea to approach it in the same way that Marvel approached it, so they stopped trying to make a bad idea work. Instead, they're trying to approach it in a way that will produce better movies that more people will be interested in.

There's more ways to be successful than being a cinematic universe.
When was LFL ever approaching filmmaking like the MCU?

I don't follow here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Francis Ford Coppolla literally said to Lucas he should consider making an actual religion out of the Force. And if he had the scary thing is I bet it would have millions of followers today.

It was, whether people like it or not, fairly influential on a lot of people. The themes and characterizations of the OT have stood the test of time, if you want to argue that seriously I mean go ahead, lol, because that person is clearly not living on planet earth.

If people are stupid enough to earnestly have followed Yoda's "teachings" as a religion, that speaks more to how foolish they are than anything. That you can sucker some people in to things doesn't make it good or worthwhile knowledge.

It was influential on a lot of people because it was a big thing while they were children. Star wars isn't unique on that front either, the same happened with Harry potter and is happening right now with the MCU. It just happens to be the big thing at the time a certain group were young and easily influenced.

Star Wars has never been released yearly, why exactly did you think that would work now?

what the? It had films every year from 2015 through to this year.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
The conditions that made Star Wars popular decades ago no longer exist today. There is no reason for new people to care about a franchise they didn't grow up with. All the things the series can offer have already been done through other movies, tv, and video games.