• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Marvel Entertainment, acquired three years earlier, had rolled out a series of interrelated movies with characters who went on to join up in the blockbuster "Avengers" movie, then Disney's most successful ever. The films are supposed to combine with TV projects and the theme parks to create a virtuous cycle, where fans get excited for each new iteration and can immerse themselves in the world of their heroes.

There was every reason to believe "Star Wars" would have a similar path, with its endearing droids, otherworldly life-forms and minor characters like Lando Calrissian and Boba Fett who inspired their own cult followings.

Instead, some of the franchise's most dedicated fans have been sniping at the way Disney has handled their favorite characters from the old movies. And the new trilogy's heroes, like Rey and Poe Dameron, just haven't inspired the same fervor among young people, with toy sales falling flataround each new installment. The Disneyland attraction, along with a Star Wars land opening at Disney World in Florida this year, are designed as much for older dudes as they are for tykes, with a Millennium Falcon-themed ride and a cantina where you can debate whether Greedo shot first over vodka cocktails called Bloody Rancors.

Iger has attributed disappointing box-office figures to "Star Wars fatigue," and he's pledged to slow down the tempo of releases. But that doesn't square with the success of Marvel, which reliably churns out a blockbuster every four to six months.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Seems obvious. New generations will be more interested in new media and don't have the attachment older generations have to older media.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
gotta hit the subcultures

add influencer droids

more furries other than chewy

planet run by cats

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Go back to the power level nonsense and "badass" lightsaber fights of the prequels. That would help.

It'd also help if Star Wars still had a gaming presence. Disney and EA are truly, utterly dropping the ball there.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Nothing substantive in there, although I don't doubt that kids are moving away from Star Wars. Shit is old.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Marvel lends itself better to having a bunch of movies per year since there's a wealth of characters, it's more like a collection of franchises that play in the same pool.
Whereas Star Wars has to focus on the same few characters and events and feels way more limited in comparison, they have yet to justify expanding the universe in a meaningful way, imo.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's true from my experience. My son and his friends sort of like Star Wars, but not on the same level of MCU. Most of the kids I know like the prequels the best.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The new movies, as much as I like them, rely too much on nostalgia to capture the attention of kids.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
maybe make something different than avengers with a lightsaber and kids might be interested

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as I have my 4k De-Specialized versions and the Sequel trilogy ends as well as the first two parts, I'll die a happy man.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see if the newer movies catch on with kids starting the series now, my teen (after episode 3) was obsessed for years thanks to the shows and Legos but hasnt really cared for the newer ones

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
What? You mean the sci-fi rehash of Flash Gordon, WWII dogfights, and Kurosawa films aren't resonating with the kids today?!

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah. It's old as balls. There are better things out there.

Do kids even care about outer space nowadays? Like, do they find it as wondrous as older people did when they were kids?

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Prequels tried to do it's thing, despite how bad they were. New planets, new politics, new world-building fascinated me and other kids at the time. It also spawned various incarnations of the Clone Wars.

The Sequels tried a rethread and yeah, I was bored. It forgot what made the original and prequels were all about: new and interesting locales in favor of Skywalker drama.

I feel like the OT were more about the new places where we could go, and the main characters were just our avatars and a way to show us this galaxy teeming with life. Sequel unfortunately thought we care more about the characters than the world itself.

I feel the same way about Avatar: the world was the biggest draw, not the characters.

Last edited:

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The prequels, even though they sucked, are better than the new movies. They at least "feel" like Star Wars

I also put Solo in the prequel camp, btw.
I don't know you think the prequels feel more like SW compared to the new trilogy. I feel the exact opposite. If you put all 3 trilogies together it's pretty obvious which one is not like the others. And I like the prequels as crap as they are.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
There's not a lot of new world building in the recent trilogy compared to the older ones. Mostly just rehashing the same planets and creatures. Relies a lotttt on nostalgia.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You mean something that's coming out every few months and all over TV through different characters and stories is doing a better job at catching kid's eyes than something that isn't doing that right now?

I'm shocked.

Oct 27, 2017
The Jedi are boring. Marvel has a ton of different heroes with different powers all. Star Wars has Jedi, and if you've seen one Jedi you've seen damn near all of them.

Star Wars needs to introduce characters than can whip Jedi. Jedi all the time every movie is boring.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The prequels were like comic book movies themselves. Larger than life characters and locations. These new movies are a lot grittier and way more grounded.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knew that rebooting a series with a film based completely off of Ep4 Nostalgia would have trouble reaching kids unfamiliar with the original?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's something for everyone with the marvel movies

there's not much for everyone with the star wars movies

simple

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The stories are all rehashed plot lines from the original movies or heavily involve old characters/lore.

Honestly the most exciting Star Wars material since the OT are both of the Clone Wars cartoons.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Man I wish they weren't so sure about this "Star Wars fatigue" thing. I was overjoyed when we were starting to get a Star Wars movie a year. Then again, I'm a huge fan so yeah.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not shocked tbh. Saw the last Jedi with my little brother, I marveled at the visuals my little brother could cared less. He never talked about it after we saw it.

There's not a lot of new world building in the recent trilogy compared to the older ones. Mostly just rehashing the same planets and creatures. Relies a lotttt on nostalgia.

Yeah I want to like the new movies but you're right the world building sucked in force awakens and last Jedi.
Let's explore newer worlds species pleas.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
It would help if they'd actually make good movies.Both TFA and TLJ were mediocre/bad.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish they were so sure about this "Star Wars fatigue" thing. I was overjoyed when we were starting to get a Star Wars movie a year. Then again, I'm a huge fan so yeah.
they just want to throw blame on the audience rather than their poor decisions. their movies just aren't that interesting