Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Nintendo would sell hardware at $400 without it being some kind of bundle.
They've never gone that high. I know inflation and all that but I don't see it happening.
I think either $350 or $300. I'll go with $300 with a price drop on the base model which will be phased out around the end of FY 2021. That's just a guess though going off of how they did with New 3DS

If the power boost is good enough, I could see $350 happening. Anything more than that would be too much IMO.

The sweet spot is of course $300.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Nothing announced this year interests me on Switch. My body is reggie for that to change.

Just give me Metroid HD Trilogy and all is good Nintendo. I won't complain if BOTW 2 comes out too.

Feb 15, 2019
I just hope they're also gonna focus on making games run at 60 FPS more often rather than focusing almost entirely on DLSS 4k. I have no interest in 4K but I sure wish most of the Switch ports didn't have to compromise frame rate to get ported over. Also not likely, especially so with a revision rather than a proper successor but I still wish they'd add a Trophy system.

You really think if you played Red and Blue for the first time as a teen or adult, the game would be hard. Hell, what made the game a bit hard for me at the time was because I did not know English when it first came out.

They never said it was hard, just harder. So no, that person probably does not think if they played Red and Blue for the first time now as a teen or adult that the game would be hard. Because that person already stated the games were never hard. And they're right. Nobody's saying the games were ever actually hard. People just don't want them to be braindead easy as they are now.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I just hope they're also gonna focus on making games run at 60 FPS more often rather than focusing almost entirely on DLSS 4k. I have no interest in 4K but I sure wish most of the Switch ports didn't have to compromise frame rate to get ported over. Also not likely, especially so with a revision rather than a proper successor but I still wish they'd add a Trophy system.

They never said it was hard, just harder. So no, that person probably does not think if they played Red and Blue for the first time now as a teen or adult that the game would be hard. Because that person already stated the games were never hard. And they're right. Nobody's saying the games were ever actually hard. People just don't want them to be braindead easy as they are now.
And my point is that they were never "harder" just that we were way younger.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I doubt Nintendo would sell hardware at $400 without it being some kind of bundle.
They've never gone that high. I know inflation and all that but I don't see it happening.
I think either $350 or $300. I'll go with $300 with a price drop on the base model which will be phased out around the end of FY 2021. That's just a guess though going off of how they did with New 3DS

Yea and like Switch is 4 years old now. I'm sure they are making CRAZY profits from it still being 300$, but they will most likely want to enter the stage where they open up to a audience that is more budgetary, which we already saw the lite is not totally satisfying that crowd. I feel like they could drop the price of the original model this summer or at the same time they announce the revision. They will be aggressive this year i can feel it.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Prioritization of Japanese devs? That's hard to believe. Exact opposite is happening right now, many big Japanese publishers are absent from Switch's 2021 lineup. Namco, previously a huge supporter of Switch, currently has nothing for it. Sega, despite their branch Atlus is 100% behind Switch, seem to have dropped Switch.

I think he's talking about guys like Activision, Ubisoft, EA and Take Two. Take Two is already a huge supporter of Switch so it's no surprise for them. Activision and EA have some solid lineups with Tony Hawk, Diablo, Mass Effect (rumored) and Madden (rumored). But we do wait for Ubisoft's re-prioritization to Switch, their support has been inconsistent so far. Mega franchises like Tom Clancy and Fary Cry hasn't appeared on Switch yet, maybe Ubisfot is making some changes to have that happen.
I think you are vastly oversimplifying things. From the Japanese side Capcom, Marvelous, Koei Tecmo and Konami ate fully in on Switch. Sqaure has a fair few projects coming and right now Sega doesn't have much announced for any console.

The only publisher that seems to be actively turning away from Switch is Namco and we all know why that is.
Nintendo doesn't often delay a game after the date has been announced. Not never, but not very often
They have delayer games that have been given a release year a fair amount on Switch:
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses(twice)
  • Animal Crossing
  • Bravely Default 2
  • Famicom Detective remakes

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
botw 2 60 fps on that switch pro, yooo. Nintendo please.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
Considering it's about to hit an all time record for the currently ending FY I don't really see that as particularly crazy.
Earlier I said it didn't seem surprising for software to go up since hardware would be so much higher, but looking at things more closely, I think you're right that predicting it to go down wouldn't be crazy. Looking at both DS and Wii, it seems like the software and hardware peaks come at almost exactly the same times, even when they've still got tens of millions of hardware units yet to grow. So as long as you think the Switch hardware already peaked, it follows that so would've the software.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier I said it didn't seem surprising for software to go up since hardware would be so much higher, but looking at things more closely, I think you're right that predicting it to go down wouldn't be crazy. Looking at both DS and Wii, it seems like the software and hardware peaks come at almost exactly the same times, even when they've still got tens of millions of hardware units yet to grow. So as long as you think the Switch hardware already peaked, it follows that so would've the software.
No there is a big difference between the current situation and how things were on Wii/DS.

Software sales are normally growing as you enter into the mature phase (so after peak) of your lifecycle. However for Nintendo platforms, it has not been the case since 1st party support in the latter years was weaker to gear up to the successor launch.

It won't happen this time because of more flexible dev tools (cross gen games here we go) and Nintendo only having one platform to support.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
And I played Silver a few years ago and Ruby a year ago and they were easy but still harder than Sword and Shield.
I beat the final boss of Silver (Red), whose team is all around level 80, with a team around lv 45. That would NEVER be possible in a modern Pokémon game. Gen 1 and 2 are piss easy

Feb 15, 2019
I beat the final boss of Silver (Red), whose team is all around level 80, with a team around lv 45. That would NEVER be possible in a modern Pokémon game. Gen 1 and 2 are piss easy

What? There's a ton of meme videos of beating Leon with like Level 1 Pokemon. Beating all the pokemon final bosses with max lv 45 Pokemon is possible in all of them.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
The boss design of USUM (and SM) is better than most games in the series. Totems have real strategies with boosted stats and 2v1 battles, and boss trainers have fully EV/IV'd Pokémon. People struggle with Guzma, UB Lusamine, Totems Lurantis, Marowak...

Things like vastly expanded movesets and the special/physical split make the games easier to play. Ruby is easy game, but a variety of Pokémon are made useless because of how moves were handled. Likewise, my last playthrough of GSC (up to Lance) had the team at low to mid 30s, which is inconvievable for most Pokémon Leagues; the difficulty, where it came up, largely was the result of shit learnsets. Plus the one solid Miltank fight.

Also: Leon is far better champion than most, and certainly much tougher than any final boss across the first three gens. SwSh's biggest problem as far as difficulty goes is (a) not enough fully trained Pokémon and (b) way too easy to overlevel. The actual team line-ups are great. Kabu is only the third gym leader and he uses a team full of fully evolved mons.

edit: Err, yeah, this is pretty off-topic. I'll cut this here.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
What? There's a ton of meme videos of beating Leon with like Level 1 Pokemon. Beating all the pokemon final bosses with max lv 45 Pokemon is possible in all of them.
Using level 1 Pokémon to beat high level ones just uses cheese strategies, beating them with a standard team with standard moves is a different thing

this is pretty off topic tho

Feb 15, 2019
The boss design of USUM (and SM) is better than most games in the series. Totems have real strategies with boosted stats and 2v1 battles, and boss trainers have fully EV/IV'd Pokémon. People struggle with Guzma, UB Lusamine, Totems Lurantis, Marowak...

Things like vastly expanded movesets and the special/physical split make the games easier to play. Ruby is easy game, but a variety of Pokémon are made useless because of how moves were handled. Likewise, my last playthrough of GSC (up to Lance) had the team at low to mid 30s, which is inconvievable for most Pokémon Leagues; the difficulty, where it came up, largely was the result of shit learnsets. Plus the one solid Miltank fight.

Also: Leon is far better champion than most, and certainly much tougher than any final boss across the first three gens. SwSh's biggest problem as far as difficulty goes is (a) not enough fully trained Pokémon and (b) way too easy to overlevel. The actual team line-ups are great. Kabu is only the third gym leader and he uses a team full of fully evolved mons.

I agree that Leon was actually a better champion than the vast majority of Pokemon games.

Shitty movesets alongside worse moves, HM slaves, not getting healed every minute and less EXP are very much part of why older games are harder. Whether people want to chalk it up to more tedious or not doesn't change the fact that it also affects the difficulty.

Using level 1 Pokémon to beat high level ones just uses cheese strategies, beating them with a standard team with standard moves is a different thing

And yet it's still very much possible to beat Leon with level 45 Pokemon considering his pokemon don't even reach lv70. The only issue here is that it's pretty hard to actually get there and be level 45 or lower in a normal playthrough because of all the EXP the game dumps on you.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
The aula rumor still can happen where Nintendo does a new Switch with a 4K upscaler dock. This reports reads like that and I think it makes sense for Nintendo to offer a different premium version of the Switch with even more enhancements at a higher price.
If they were to do something, it would be like nearest neighbor or something so they can technically output at 4k.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
They have delayer games that have been given a release year a fair amount on Switch:
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses(twice)
  • Animal Crossing
  • Bravely Default 2
  • Famicom Detective remakes
Pretty sure they mean an actual release date. Not just some vague time window.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
My lite will be getting dusty

>.> unless they unlock the lite clocks i'm okay with battery draining quicker

OldSkOoL

Jan 28, 2020
I hate when people say this. Pokémon games were never hard, but they were definitely harder. And I'm not even talking about battles. Look at dungeon design then vs. now and it'll be clear as day. The modern games are little more than railroaded hallways

I was 11 when red and blue came out. The hardest part of that game I remember was I did the Rock cave completely in the dark, just walked around till I hit a wall then would go in another direction (had no idea about the Flash HM). It took me forever to get out of there.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not really thinking about it in terms of how their past consoles performed, and more in terms of how this past year saw a pretty unusually high software bump due to a global pandemic. It's really not surprising or confusing at all why many analysts would be thinking software is likely going to be down. Especially considering the currently known lineup.

Now obviously I don't really agree completely with them, I think the COVID bump will continue a lot longer than most people thought, and I think Nintendo has quite a lot of unannounced software for the FY. Plus I think we're going to see a lot of good third party support which will generate sales. Things like MHR, Fall Guys, Resident Evil Outrage.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

edit: Err, yeah, this is pretty off-topic. I'll cut this here.
Honestly, I made the decision of having a rotating team of like, 12 instead of the usual 6 (since there's a lot of good designs in SwSh and also portable Box) and that made SwSh easily the hardest Pokemon game I've played. I actually had to use strategy for the final tournament since I was like 10 levels behind (and then I just cheesed Leon with Eternatus because that fight is pretty damn hard when you're 10 levels behind).

So difficulty was never really one of my personal complaints against SwSh. I have many, but that's not one.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all think BotW2 will run bad on regular Switch? I'm not gonna be able to upgrade anytime soon unfortunately

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Do you all think BotW2 will run bad on regular Switch? I'm not gonna be able to upgrade anytime soon unfortunately
I'm sure it will run fine. Maybe some things will be scaled back, or the res won't be as high, but it will probably run similarly to BotW 1. (Presumably the same engine with similar ambition.)

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It is unprecedented but I think we also need to factor in that an truly unprecedented global pandemic has happened which does heavily benefit video game sales (kids stuck at home all day, desperate parents needing something to occupy time with, not being able to travel, etc. etc.).

This is most disruptive global event to happen probably really since the end of World War II.

The Switch also benefitted most from this because it's still in the peak point of its product cycle, Sony/MS got the COVID boost during the end term of the PS4/XB1 and then into the launch period for the new consoles but those are heavily supply constrained.

Switch basically I think got a year of super high sales added onto its product cycle and they really did not have to use any of their big guns for software releases during that year either outside of Animal Crossing which was going to come out at that time either way. But they basically got to move BOTW2 into 2021 and not need a traditionally strong holiday 2020 lineup without consequence.

COVID basically gifted Nintendo a free peak year in a lot of ways where they didn't really have to sweat too much with software output. This generation for Nintendo is unlike any other as a result.

Yeah, Covid gave boost in sales, but even before Covid, Switch was selling every year better than previous one,
for instance sales in January-February 2020. (so before Covid and Animal Crossing) were stronger than January-February 2019.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
We all know the shadow drop of Metroid 5 will spur on these record sales.

Nothing else to see or discuss here, except maybe Metroid Prime 4K releasing alongside Switch Pro!

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
We all know the shadow drop of Metroid 5 will spur on these record sales.

Nothing else to see or discuss here, except maybe Metroid Prime 4K releasing alongside Switch Pro!
Joking aside I think it's a good thing the Trilogy and that rumored 2D Metroid have not been released yet. They have a better chance to take advantage of the dlss stuff of the Pro.
Obviously not 4K but maybe 1440p and some AA could help a ton in docked mode and steady 720p in handheld.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Joking aside I think it's a good thing the Trilogy and that rumored 2D Metroid have not been released yet. They have a better chance to take advantage of the dlss stuff of the Pro.
Obviously not 4K but maybe 1440p and some AA could help a ton in docked mode and steady 720p in handheld.
Yep no need for 4K but I definitely need and want 60FPS for the Prime games. The OG trilogy...surely they could get those games to 1080p and 60FPS. The OG Prime is nearly 20 years old!

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
They could give the user 2 DLSS profiles to chose from. 1440p/60, 4k30. or 1080p60/1440p30. However, if that's possible gonna be highly dependant on the game itself.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
Pretty interested on what this revision is gonna be and the price point, might finally pick up a switch if I feel like it's a good deal

Feb 9, 2018
If software sales are going to be way up in FY 2021-22 then there needs to be some absolutely huge titles on the horizon. They must have some other potential unannounced top-tier franchise titles besides just BotW2 and the Pokemon D&P remake, and possibly Splatoon 2 if it releases in Q1 2022. Probably the only other huge things they could release would be Mario Kart 9 or a new Super Mario game (which we haven't had a new, original one since Odyssey).

As for hardware, unless it's a significant upgrade I'm not expecting a huge boost from the "Pro" model, or at least not a long-lived one. Except for the 360S, hardware revisions released this late in a console's life cycle have had short-lived impacts on sales.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If software sales are going to be way up in FY 2021-22 then there needs to be some absolutely huge titles on the horizon. They must have some other potential unannounced top-tier franchise titles besides just BotW2 and the Pokemon D&P remake, and possibly Splatoon 2 if it releases in Q1 2022. Probably the only other huge things they could release would be Mario Kart 9 or a new Super Mario game (which we haven't had a new, original one since Odyssey).

As for hardware, unless it's a significant upgrade I'm not expecting a huge boost from the "Pro" model, or at least not a long-lived one. Except for the 360S, hardware revisions released this late in a console's life cycle have had short-lived impacts on sales.
The DSi sold 40m units after launch. There have been several instances of successful late revision (Gameboy Color is a special one too).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still wondering how people think a 4K dock is technically feasible. Do you expect a custom port that the system uses to interface with the dock?