Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
There's precedent for it both ways. The New 3DS models replaced the original 3DS models at the same price points, but the DSi models were more expensive than the DS Lite.

My gut says that they will keep the regular Switch at $299 and sell the "Pro" models at a higher price. The current Switch is selling very well at $299; there's really no need to give that model an upgrade or a price cut in the foreseeable future (they're actually likely to be more worried about just meeting the existing demand for it).
There was a rumour recently saying that production for the current Switch chip is ending this year - if this pans out, then Pro will probably be replacing the OG Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pro will most likely be treated similar like "New 3DS" revision, so it could be said that New 3DS is successor to OG 3DS but its not next gen or different platform.
The differences are gonna be way more pronounced on the pro. There weren't any subnative games on the 3ds. And with every game being bespoke for it (save for games that ended up on the vita as well), there wasn't much desire to push effects.

The switch is a wholey different beast as we have cut down ports for higher specced systems, native games that are 25% of native, and modes that have different play feels thanks to disparate frame rates. If Nintendo just wanted to smooth over those issues, they would have gone for a different design than some rumors suggest.

Oct 27, 2017
Pro will most likely be treated similar like "New 3DS" revision, so it could be said that New 3DS is successor to OG 3DS but its not next gen or different platform.
People keep bringing up the GBC like that wasn't over 20 years ago. People have much higher expectations for new gaming systems now. It's not just enough to be stronger, they have to offer new features, look different to some degree, and the eventual expectation is entirely exclusive games that can't be played on the predecessor.

Not to mention IIRC the GBC sold incredibly poorly compared to the GB and the GBA

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
The differences are gonna be way more pronounced on the pro. There weren't any subnative games on the 3ds. And with every game being bespoke for it (save for games that ended up on the vita as well), there wasn't much desire to push effects.

The switch is a wholey different beast as we have cut down ports for higher specced systems, native games that are 25% of native, and modes that have different play feels thanks to disparate frame rates. If Nintendo just wanted to smooth over those issues, they would have gone for a different design than some rumors suggest.

Yes, games will more take advantage of stronger hardware than New 3DS did,
but point is would be same, so stronger revision thats part of current platform and huge majority of games running of all versions.

People keep bringing up the GBC like that wasn't over 20 years ago. People have much higher expectations for new gaming systems now. It's not just enough to be stronger, they have to offer new features, look different to some degree, and the eventual expectation is entirely exclusive games that can't be played on the predecessor.

Not to mention IIRC the GBC sold incredibly poorly compared to the GB and the GBA

I was talking about "New 3DS" type of revision not GBC, and New 3DS had plenty improvements compared to OG 3DS, better 3D, better battery life, 2nd analog stick...stronger hardware (much stronger CPU, better GPU, more RAM..), same like some exclusives (most noticeable is Minecraft that works only on "New" 3DS revisions).

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I still find the idea of releasing a revision and then a switch 2 even 2 years later funny. Realistically if it's marketed as a revision then it will be the only Nintendo console for another 3-4 years after. If it's marketed as switch 2 then...yeah. But for people waiting for a switch 2....I think you'll be waiting for a while if this isn't it. Even new 3ds to switch, and xbox one x to series x, or ps4 pro to ps5 was 3-4 years.

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still find the idea of releasing a revision and then a switch 2 even 2 years later funny. Realistically if it's marketed as a revision then it will be the only Nintendo console for another 3-4 years after. If it's marketed as switch 2 then...yeah. But for people waiting for a switch 2....I think you'll be waiting for a while if this isn't it. Even new 3ds to switch, and xbox one x to series x, or ps4 pro to ps4 was 3-4 years.
Yeah, I think Furukawa stating that the switch is only halfway through its lifecycle indicates to me we aren't getting a Switch 2 till 2024 earliest

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I think Furukawa stating that the switch is only halfway through its lifecycle indicates to me we aren't getting a Switch 2 till 2024 earliest

I think the launch of the Pro is +/- 6 months dead center of the life cycle. If the Pro launches in Nov, that's 56 months. So "NSW 2" will launch 50-60 months following that - late 2025 early 2026, alongside next era of Zelda.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I think we could easily have Switch 2 launch around 2-3 years after Switch "Pro" launch,
people should have on mind that this is revision of current platform not new platform.

So late 2023. or early 2024. are possible for Switch 2 launch in any case.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I think we could easily have Switch 2 launch around 2-3 years after Switch "Pro" launch,
people should have on mind that this is revision of current platform not new platform.

So late 2023. or early 2024. are possible for Switch 2 launch in any case.

Nooooo!!! 2025 spring/fall....! 2023/2024 so early. Just look at possible sales figures for 2021/2022and then tell me Nintendo that unified there console/handheld gonna release

Pessimistic Prediction

2021: 22mil (101mil ltd)
2022: 14mil (115mil ltd)
2023: 8mil (123mil ltd) —> NSW2 releases
2024: 3mil (126mil ltd)

you cray cray 😉

Remember this is with Pokémon Legends/Splat3 coming in 2022 and don't forget we need Pokémon Gen 9 which will be a 2023 NSW game (MHRG I think was rumored to launch in 2023)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nooooo!!! 2025 spring/fall....! 2023/2024 so early. Just look at possible sales figures for 2021/2022and then tell me Nintendo that unified there console/handheld gonna release

Pessimistic Prediction

2021: 22mil (101mil ltd)
2022: 14mil (115mil ltd)
2023: 8mil (123mil ltd) —> NSW2 releases
2024: 3mil (126mil ltd)

you cray cray 😉
Heh, hello pot! 😉

But you're wrong imo. I think a 2025 release date is looking like quite a reasonable target year, especially if the Switch Pro is powerful enough that it can get downgraded gen 9 ports to a decent degree, in which case Nintendo won't be in a rush to refresh the hardware with a new gen system as the third parties would probably use the Pro by 2023-2024 once gen 8 development has fully ceased, and so they can support the OG Seitch with many indies, lower graphical third parties and their own first party until this new system comes in 2025.

The big question would be what they do when this big 2025 device comes: do they phase out Switch and Switch Pro authentieke same time (what PS5 did to PS4 and PS4PRO) or do they make Switch Pro the new baseline? Both approaches have their merit, as we might imagine. Interesting times ahead for the Switch platform.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Heh, hello pot! 😉

But you're wrong imo. I think a 2025 release date is looking like quite a reasonable target year, especially if the Switch Pro is powerful enough that it can get downgraded gen 9 ports to a decent degree, in which case Nintendo won't be in a rush to refresh the hardware with a new gen system as the third parties would probably use the Pro by 2023-2024 once gen 8 development has fully ceased, and so they can support the OG Seitch with many indies, lower graphical third parties and their own first party until this new system comes in 2025.

The big question would be what they do when this big 2025 device comes: do they phase out Switch and Switch Pro authentieke same time (what PS5 did to PS4 and PS4PRO) or do they make Switch Pro the new baseline? Both approaches have their merit, as we might imagine. Interesting times ahead for the Switch platform.

bro I've been saying 2025 for well over a year now. My prediction I just came with was on the spot for the user I quoted !!