Mar 19, 2021
So I just took a quick look at PS5 games releasing on April 5th (first Tuesday of the month, which is when new PS+ and Now games are added to the services) and one of them is MLB The Show 22. I wonder if that's just a coincidence or if Sony is planning on launching Spartacus that day with MLB being part of the line-up. It would definitely be a good way to show how serious they're taking this if they add such a game to the service on its launch.

It's also day one on Game Pass though so won't make much of an impact.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I already pay for PS+ that I barely use so I am not expecting this to move the needle for me personally, but who knows maybe Sony has an ace or two up their sleeves...

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a pretty disappointing service and pretty much useless for me.

Feels like something they should've released 5 years ago and not in a post gamepass world

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited by the potential legacy games we get from this, hopefully it's substantial.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds amazing will go in at the highest available tier.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Pass if it doesn't have day 1 first party releases. Had PS Now for a year and once the nostalgia wears off it gets old fast.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
If they put any of Sackboy, Returnal, Demons Souls, Ratchet at launch it could be really worthwhile

Jabroni Chief

Oct 28, 2017
Fresno CA
I can't see the negativity to start on this especially if you already pay for PS+ anyways. Based on the rumored upgrade pricing, it'll be a no brainer for myself. PS1 games, Free to Start Demos & curated indies would definitely catch my eye, along with some sort of Crunchyroll addition as well. How many people out there just have regular Game Pass? It will be the same with this if it is enticing enough...

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I checked and MGS4 (streaming) and MGSV yes. But the ones on PSOne and PS2 no, doesn't seem the collection is here.
Odd. I know for a fact that the HD collection games (MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walker) were all on there at one point. I know this because I was looking up if PS Now could be an option to play MGS3 or PW if my PS3 died. That's when I learned that playing MGS3 on PS Now is a sub-par experience because analog face buttons are used in that game to perform key actions and the PS4/PS5 controllers don't have analog face buttons.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
So I just took a quick look at PS5 games releasing on April 5th (first Tuesday of the month, which is when new PS+ and Now games are added to the services) and one of them is MLB The Show 22. I wonder if that's just a coincidence or if Sony is planning on launching Spartacus that day with MLB being part of the line-up. It would definitely be a good way to show how serious they're taking this if they add such a game to the service on its launch.
If they are smart they will. It's launching on game pass - the amount of bad press they'll get if their new service doesn't have it will be large. Probably torpedo any good will from launching a new service.

For that reason I'm almost 100% sure they will - even if no other games are day one moving forward.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Thank you. No interest in the NSO approach. Sorta gross to gate classics exclusively behind a paywall. By their nature they're things you'll want to revisit for years to come. Let me own them.
Unless classics are also added to the PS Store as standalone purchases, the value proposition of retro games on the PlayStation platform will be terrible to me. I'm not especially keen to want to pay a service charge any time I get the itch to play one of my favorite classics.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's good that everyone starts out disappointed. There's no way Sony can afford to bleed cash like Ms to prop up a Gp style subscription model.

Thing is, they need to be smart in positioning this and that's what I'm concerned with (for good reasons).

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not worried that games won't be day 1, luckily I've held off on buying any first party Sony games this gen anticipating this service was coming

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

I think both are quite obvious. There's absolutely no reason to announce the changes to their subscriptions weeks or even months in advance, and they're obviously not going to get rid of the PlayStation Plus branding since it already has 48 million subscribers and is a very well known name. The only question is what the names will be for the 2nd and 3rd Tiers.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Odd. I know for a fact that the HD collection games (MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walker) were all on there at one point. I know this because I was looking up if PS Now could be an option to play MGS3 or PW if my PS3 died. That's when I learned that playing MGS3 on PS Now is a sub-par experience because analog face buttons are used in that game to perform key actions and the PS4/PS5 controllers don't have analog face buttons.
Konami delisted all versions of MGS2 and 3 some time ago because the rights to archival footage expired, maybe that's why?

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Given how stingy and money hungry Sony has been this generation, I really doubt they are going to give people much credit for their already purchased PS+ and PSNow memberships. I'd guess the conversion ratios are going to be terrible to the new Spartacus tiers.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
PS Plus Bronze
PS Plus Gold
PS Plus Platinum / Diamond

They'll probably keep the PS Plus name and just add some tier terms to it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that everyone starts out disappointed. There's no way Sony can afford to bleed cash like Ms to prop up a Gp style subscription model.

Thing is, they need to be smart in positioning this and that's what I'm concerned with (for good reasons).

I'm not expecting too much, but GamePass isn't even a factor there. I'm personally way more interested in PS1 and PS2 games than in day 1 Sony games anyway.

The thing is, the possibility of convoluted, poorly structured, luxuriously priced tiers + some compromised element to the (re)introduction of classic games and whatnot has me suppressing my excitement. The rumors pretty much line up with my interests. The execution? We'll see.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft isn't bleeding cash. Xbox is making a profit. Sony can afford a Game Pass style subscription model but it goes against their business philosophy and that's why this thread is so pessimistic about what they'll offer.

Feb 16, 2022
PlayStation Plus Alpha
Playstation... PLUS ULTRA!!!

310613.jpg

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at future classic titles, i just wonder if Ape Escape 3 will ever be available or if the different localizations make it difficult and a remaster would make it easier to get out. My enthusiasm will remain low if all classic titles will be PSNow things, in that case i will continue to sleep.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like we have been hearing the announcement is close for over a year now. Just get it over with already.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Microsoft isn't bleeding cash. Xbox is making a profit. Sony can afford a Game Pass style subscription model but it goes against their business philosophy and that's why this thread is so pessimistic about what they'll offer.

The xbox side of things might be profitable but they are clearly losing money on gamepass. They are spending shitloads bringing games to that service. Even Tom Warren who is as pro xbox as they come has said that. Ultimately though it doesn't matter, its about making a lot of money long term and bringing players to that ecosystem. Netflix didn't make any money for ages.

If gamepass was profitable, the richest company on the planet wouldn't be the only one doing it.

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo can get away with $50/yr on barely functional online multiplayer and a paltry dripfeed of games from their back catalog, then Sony will probably do just fine with whatever this is.

I hope it's worth the drawn out rumor cycle and actually shows some respect to the PS back catalogue but I'm not holding my breath. Basically in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
this is where I hope there's a $1 upgrade ala Xbox (though I doubt it) so I can keep my PS+ through 2025 at the best tier, lol.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I haven't read that. It could be an answer for GP, but not a direct competition. It just doesn't make business sense for them. Unless this big games just crash on sales.
I don't think it's so much an answer to game pass as it is an answer to gold and gamepass becoming one thing on the Microsoft side. It makes sense to consolidate the services of Plus and Now just like it made sense for Microsoft to merge since they go hand in hand with online titles.

Glace

Banned
Dec 8, 2021
I don't think it's so much an answer to game pass as it is an answer to gold and gamepass becoming one thing on the Microsoft side. It makes sense to consolidate the services of Plus and Now just like it made sense for Microsoft to merge since they go hand in hand with online titles.
From what the OP is saying it seems that it's not really an answer to the competition,much more of a being unsatisfied with Now's growth.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
From what the OP is saying it seems that it's not really an answer to the competition,much more of a being unsatisfied with Now's growth.

i think that is it really. Playstation Now has a negative connotation attached to it as being not great quality. Os instead, merge it with playstation plus introduce tiers, done. I do think people are looking too much into it, probably because of that gamepass comparison made in the original article. It is entirely possible Sony doesn't really see it as a competitor at all, in the traditional sense.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not expecting too much, but GamePass isn't even a factor there. I'm personally way more interested in PS1 and PS2 games than in day 1 Sony games anyway.

The thing is, the possibility of convoluted, poorly structured, luxuriously priced tiers + some compromised element to the (re)introduction of classic games and whatnot has me suppressing my excitement. The rumors pretty much line up with my interests. The execution? We'll see.

Personally I'm more interested in getting their GaaS games day one, especially Faction, Bungie's third-person action game and whatever Haven is making. But I agree with you, there's potential in this but it depends heavily on the execution i.e. they need to balance sustainability/profitability against making an appealing product and that necessitates a very focused product.

I do hope they have done their market research thoroughly, and found the target audience to make this work.

The 'to prop up a GP style subscription model' was the important bit of that sentence.

Thanks for answering on my behalf. Cheers.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
The 'to prop up a GP style subscription model' was the important bit of that sentence.
The xbox side of things might be profitable but they are clearly losing money on gamepass. They are spending shitloads bringing games to that service. Even Tom Warren who is as pro xbox as they come has said that. Ultimately though it doesn't matter, its about making a lot of money long term and bringing players to that ecosystem. Netflix didn't make any money for ages.

If gamepass was profitable, the richest company on the planet wouldn't be the only one doing it.
Microsoft isn't bleeding cash to prop up Game Pass or otherwise.
www.gamespot.com

Phil Spencer Says Game Pass Is Sustainable, Not Burning Cash

"No. Game Pass is very, very sustainable right now."
He said Game Pass is a "real differentiator" for Xbox in the competitive landscape. Still, some people wonder about the economic realities of the service and if it is really a sustainable business and one that is an overall positive for gaming. After all, there have been plenty of high-profile gaming executives who have expressed their worries and concerns about subscription-based models.

But Spencer doesn't agree. "It's not the only thing that's growing in Xbox. It's not the only focus of the organization, and it, as a standalone thing, is very sustainable as it sits today, just like today. It's sustainable," Spencer said. "I know there are a lot of people that like to write, 'We're burning cash right now for some future pot of gold at the end.' No. Game Pass is very, very sustainable right now as it sits and continues to grow."