• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I really, really hope it's true that PS1 and 2 games are coming to PS4/5. It's hard to believe, but I really do want to believe it. I also want to believe the games would actually be downloadable and playable natively, and not just streaming, something that all the rumors seemingly stop short of outright confirming, which is a bit concerning. As for the service itself, we'll see. I'm not necessarily super interested in another subscription service unless it's the only way to play the PS1/2 games.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how they view it vs GP, but that phrasing doesn't reveal much. The question was "How will you respond to MS GP?", not "Are you planning a service that will directly compete with GP?"
You're saying that Sony's stated response to Game Pass isn't meant to be a competitor to Game Pass? Then how is it a response to Game Pass?

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I really REALLY want disc BC.

But I know that there isn't going to be Disc based BC. I know it I can feel it in my bones.

Konami, Square Enix and Sega/Atlus are never playing ball on streaming their PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP titles, and honestly most of those is what I would want to play on a streaming based BC.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
You're saying that Sony's stated response to Game Pass isn't meant to be a competitor to Game Pass? Then how is it a response to Game Pass?

You linked a quote by Jim Ryan responding to the question: "How will you respond to MS GP?" where Jim said they have something to show at a latter date. My only point was - and it's incredibly pedantic - that his reply doesn't stipulate it as a direct competitor i.e., feature parity, at least according to the definition many posters here have in this very thread. "Responding" to something can take many forms without being directly analogous, as ultimately the end-goal in the platform gaming context is engagement time & the associated monetization method.

It's a moot point either way, as per Schreier's article, they do view it as a GP competitor internally. For the record, I disagree with the definition that it needs to have day one 1st party titles for it to be a "competitor" to GP that many here have.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
interested in the details. if it's awesome, that might push me to play the 'keep a close eye on restock' game again

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
This will absolutley be a competitor to Game Pass.

A gaming subscription service is absolutely competing against another gaming subscription service.

Consumers only have so much time to play games in a day.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
If they give a concrete timeframe for when their first party games will come to the service the PS5 will become a lot more attractive to me.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of "how do we make more people want our failing PS Now service? Maybe have a tier where it's bundled with PS+?" Is just so funny to me. Like, how about making it a better service instead.

I truly hope in reality that it's a better service than both PS Now and PS+. Simply combining the two wouldn't cut it.

Southport

Nov 1, 2017
Whatever it is, hopefully it's close to being announced. Just get it out there good or bad. (Please by some miracle let it be native emulation of our existing PS digital purchases)

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I truly hope in reality that it's a better service than both PS Now and PS+. Simply combining the two wouldn't cut it.
I agree, but also combining the two was necessary. PS Now was one of worst marketed products in gaming I can think of. Even years later you still had people assuming you had to stream the games.

Oct 25, 2017

It's a subscription service were you get access to games every month PS+ and PS Now on their own are already a competitors to Game Pass, so Spartacus definitely will be since it's even more similar.

People get hung up on it not having Day 1 games so it won't ever be as integral as Game Pass is to Xbox or have the same expectations of growth either.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
PS+ and PS Now never interested me so i guess this will not be for me. If the subscription offered indie games day one (like Gamepass), i would be all over it but it seems this will not be the case here?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
If legacy Playstation content isn't included in this service then I don't give a damn.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a subscription service were you get access to games every month PS+ and PS Now on their own are already a competitors to Game Pass, so Spartacus definitely will be since it's even more similar.

People get hung up on it not having Day 1 games so it won't ever be as integral as Game Pass is to Xbox or have the same expectations of growth either.

Yeah. I see this service as something Sony is using to increase the MMR from PlayStation Plus subscribers rather than the fundamental shift in consumption which Microsoft intends Game Pass to be.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
They don't really have any reason to put first party games day and date on a subscription service, so they won't. Maybe that changes some day, but not any time soon.
No reason? The point of a subscription service is to have as many subs as possible, having day one games there would increase it substantially. People wouldn't stop buying the games either, so "they don't have to since the games sell so well" don't really make sense.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
All I really care about is the retro library of games. I would love to jump back in some good PS1 classics. I also hope it's fairly priced, too, but I'm somewhat skeptical whether Sony could execute that well.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If they have the nerve to charge more than Game Pass...

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course they will. And they'll have people here lining up to defend it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So it doesn't really do anything new it just combines 2 services that already exist

If you already subbed to both services you aren't gaining any new games
The initial report stated that they would also try to increase the quality of the games added to 'now'.

I expect it to essentially be similar to gamepass except it won't feature day 1 first to party games day 1 (but probably after a year or something). It will feature the odd 3rd party game day 1 (like plus does) and have the option to include a list of old gen games too on the highest tier.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh I don't know how they can beat Game Pass, unless various 3rd parties do not have exclusive agreements with Microsoft and will be able to make their games also available on Spartacus. There's SO MUCH STUFF in GP there's like nothing left for Sony if there's an exclusive agreement.

But I just hope they will have some cool indie games, even more so than triple A's. There are so many indies releasing every year it's really hard to keep track and Game Pass helped me discover many gems.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This will absolutley be a competitor to Game Pass.

A gaming subscription service is absolutely competing against another gaming subscription service.

Consumers only have so much time to play games in a day.
Well by extension it's a competitor to all entertainment, even Netflix. Consumers only have so much time to do anything in a day. And not limitless money to spend on subscriptions.

But Spartacus won't be available on Xbox or PC, whilst Game Pass isn't available on PlayStation. So whilst they're directly competing services in a sense, they're also operating in separate ecosystems as it stands. Where they're on the same battlefield is in the cloud space, but I'd imagine that's still pretty small fry at this stage.

Game Pass has been a pretty nice way to attract new users to the Xbox ecosystem though. I wonder if Spartacus will at least be as generous as Game Pass with the day one indies and third parties, even if they're not going to have first party games day one. That's the more exciting part of Game Pass for me anyway, just recently the likes of FAR and Tunic, would be cool if I can enjoy even more day one indies via Spartacus too.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep saying this because I want to dream it into reality: Factions 2 will be day-1 on Spartacus and will be the service first breakout hit

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The idea of "how do we make more people want our failing PS Now service? Maybe have a tier where it's bundled with PS+?" Is just so funny to me. Like, how about making it a better service instead.

You would have to want to stream games for PSNow to be of value. I don't think there's anything wrong with PSNow's offering, but most people aren't interested in streaming or have tried it and don't like the experience they had. There's not much they can do either than to bundle it with something else people do want.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I hope they nail the AA and indie releases on the service and grab some quality 3P AAA recent/old titles as part of a "vault".
That would be enough to make me happy for US100/year.
Also Factions day one :p

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt it will disappoint those looking for PlayStation's own Game Pass, but I think it will be a good service.

There's gonna be a genuine sticking point though. I'm thinking price or availablility of legacy software.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like people are going to be massively disappointed with it, it's important to adjust expectations.

I wish PS3 compatibility was possible without streaming but I don't expect it based on rumors. Resistance 1-3 are never going to be remastered so they deserve it. Hopefully the PSP titles have Retribution.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
They better have good number of indie games launching day 1. Otherwise this service will be disappointing for me.
Currently PS+ is meh. For PS Now barely anyone cares about.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
If I can buy cloud versions of PS3 games without having to subscribe to any service that'd be pretty cool too.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
PS+ and PS Now never interested me so i guess this will not be for me. If the subscription offered indie games day one (like Gamepass), i would be all over it but it seems this will not be the case here?
Technically, PS+ and PS Now have had Day One releases already. PS+ even had a PS Studios day one release!

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I really, really hope it's true that PS1 and 2 games are coming to PS4/5. It's hard to believe, but I really do want to believe it. I also want to believe the games would actually be downloadable and playable natively, and not just streaming, something that all the rumors seemingly stop short of outright confirming, which is a bit concerning. As for the service itself, we'll see. I'm not necessarily super interested in another subscription service unless it's the only way to play the PS1/2 games.
This! I really hope we see all of the PlayStation 1-2 Classics that were on the PlayStation 3 Store end up on there.

Shameless plug: I hope it eventually gets Silent Hill (PlayStation 1), the PlayStation 2 versions of Silent Hill 2-3 (replacing the HD Collection), the PlayStation 1 Resident Evil games, Forbidden Siren 2, the PlayStation 2 versions of Grand Theft Auto, the Fatal Frame series, and the Dead Space games.

So it's just PSNOW combined with PS+? That's pretty boring
I think this is meant to expand into being the PlayStation equivalent of Game Pass and it's supposed to include Crunchy Roll/Funimation as well.

Jun 6, 2018
I've barely touched my ps5 since launch so any reason to use it beyond it being my plex and Netflix box would be great but if this service doesn't come close to offering the value in gamepass and resembles another NSO then I'm out. At least NSO can be had for cheap on a family plan.