• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
A small reminder, this studio (Game Kitchen) has made a haunting 8/16bit point'n'click : The Last Door. It's a long and neat patchwork of occult and horror stories from the 18th and 19th century, two seasons of 6 episodes, also available on the three consoles. I have completed a lot of (indie) horror games but this one has done something special on me.

Thanks for flagging this - looks thoroughly my jam.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I just myself looked this up as I had the same question and it looks like it is running well after a some what rough launch.

There is a bug if you put the Switch to sleep while the game is running, when you return to the game there will be dips in FPS.

There is a demo by the way.
Oh, good to know there's a demo, i was on the fence after Ori which i didn't enjoy, so i can try it and then buy on psn now that's on sale

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got the update? Are the improvements to the map, or visibility?

When i finished it last holidays, i was missing one of those caged angel-things ... but without exaggerating, i would've gone mad if i had to roam through the whole game world just once more again.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Tried out the update and got absolutely obliterated by the first boss. Seems like it'll be horrendously challenging.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
The update doesn't bring much new to the ones that have finished the game multiple times... I found the new bosses to be kinda lazy in design and patterns. It does improve the game a lot though especially the new traveling points so for someone that hasn't played this fantactic game right now its the right time.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So miffed I missed the last sale on eshop by literal seconds. Had it in my cart, clicked to complete purchase and got the "price has changed" message. :/.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I should get back into this. I dropped it when I got stuck in a boss room and the fix for the Switch version took a month to be available.
Now I'm afraid I'll be lost and enemies will destroy me.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, level with me, how grosteque is this game?
I've legit been put off by the imagery in trailers as, I dunno, it came of as a bit try hard.

Thanks

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
This game was badass! I really enjoyed the parry system. Surprisingly, I didn't really struggle on many bosses, except the last one. For some reason I was getting some really crazy shit spammed at me that I never saw happen in other videos I watched.

Either way, fantastic game and this sounds like a great expansion.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A small reminder, this studio (Game Kitchen) has made a haunting 8/16bit point'n'click : The Last Door. It's a long and neat patchwork of occult and horror stories from the 18th and 19th century, two seasons of 6 episodes, also available on the three consoles. I have completed a lot of (indie) horror games but this one has done something special on me.

wishlisted on GOG. Thank you.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it but did they change how charge moves work? It always bugged that you had to perform a normal weapon attack animation before the charge move would register.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
first thing I'm noticing is my fervor is increasing noticeably faster when hitting enemies or objects, which is a very good thing

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
This game was badass! I really enjoyed the parry system. Surprisingly, I didn't really struggle on many bosses, except the last one. For some reason I was getting some really crazy shit spammed at me that I never saw happen in other videos I watched.

Either way, fantastic game and this sounds like a great expansion.

Felt the same. Really enjoyed this game tremendously, but left off at the last boss, which I never defeated. Not out of giving up, but another major game release arrived and stole me away from before I could wrap this one.

But I'll dive back in now and see if through alongside checking out the new stuff.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Quick impressions:

- The new map is good. Thank goodness that we can put different pins on it, although i would change the button, because as it is right now (same button as accept), i keep putting angelic pins all over the place without wanting to.
- Some backgrounds have been improved greatly, and there are some new dialogues and animations.
- The controls don't work sometimes (there was a moment when i couldn't cure myself or evade).
- The platforming has been improved (feels snappier), but the combat is the same unresponsive mess (imo), which is disappointing.
- The dlc is tied to the added ng+ and once you upgrade to True Torment here is no turning back, so i'm going to keep completing my old save (went from 79% to 86% this afternoon) and maybe play the ng+ in the future.
- The update did reset the progress of some of my quests.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
there are apparently rewards in some shape or form for completing the game with them active. other than that, no idea.
Thanks. That cool. I chose no penitence because those things looked too hard, hehe, especially the "True Penitence" one, or whats it called. But i like when games given some extra insentives to do so. Like i did the no bonfire rest challenge in Dark Souls 2, and it gives a special ring.

Last edited:

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Damn this was on sale on the Switch recently... I should have bought it :(

By the way the voices are all awesome. Great choice of actors

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I dropped the game after an hour, not because it was bad but it just seemed a little unpolished and had other stuff to play, sounds like this might've improved things a good deal?

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

I played the first season last year and was sadly kinda bored and underwhelmed by the end. Didn't bother with season 2 as a result.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017

I played through this earlier this year and had a shockingly good time with it. the atmosphere and sense of dread are ridiculously effective considering how low-fi the visuals are, the story is continually inventive and intriguing and the gameplay manages to deliver old-school inventory-based puzzles without ever getting as frustrating or obtuse as the vintage games that inspired it.

absolute must-play for people who are into all three of these things: Lovecraft, Poe and point-and-click adventures.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it because of this update and because it's 50% off. I love pretty much everything about this game so far, I love metroidvanias and Souls-like storytelling, and its christian-like imagery really speaks to me as someone who was brought up in catholic faith and who always felt this religion's fixation on pain and suffering was weird.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Bought it because of this update and because it's 50% off. I love pretty much everything about this game so far, I love metroidvanias and Souls-like storytelling, and its christian-like imagery really speaks to me as someone who was brought up in catholic faith and who always felt this religion's fixation on pain and suffering was weird.

Same, loving it so far - some impressive animation work and nice level design. Pacing is exactly my jam.

I also bought The Last Door from the same deveoper and am really enjoying that too.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I asked in another thread and got no response, but, how does this run on Switch?

It's on sale and I've been meaning to pick it up, and this is as good a time as any, but I'll wait for a better sale on PC if the Switch performance isn't up to scratch.

Finished it couple months ago was running great (portable mode only)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Asking again: is the new content integrated with the base game? In other words, am I better off starting a new game? Or is it meant to be endgame/NG+ stuff and I should finish the base game first?

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Asking again: is the new content integrated with the base game? In other words, am I better off starting a new game? Or is it meant to be endgame/NG+ stuff and I should finish the base game first?

The new bosses/quest are NG+ only. There are improvements to the base game, but 99% of the new content is NG+ only.

Oct 26, 2017
Some of it is, like the character who improves your bile flasks but the actual new bosses are NG+ content (as far as I know)