• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
As a game, it certainly wasn't particulary fun to play, that's how I felt as well.
I mean, did the actual gameplay have anything that made it stand out? Not just compared to the other Bioshock games, but compared to any other shooter?

Correct me where I'm wrong here, but this is how I remember it, from my only playthrough.

The levels were linear.
There were no alternative routes.
The corridor you moved in weren't particulary large.
There was no hub area.
There were no vehicles.
There were not standout physics.
There were no destructible enviroments.
There were no real standout weapons, as far as I remember.
It did the same mistake as so many other FPS where it hid ammo, energy and similiar stuff wherever possible, which made you run around and hit the button to pickup more then anything else.
The enemies were bullet sponges.
The enemies seemed to be able to hit you from wherever they were, and never miss.
It repeated the same encounters over and over again.
It repeated the worst boss fights.
The heavy hitters enemies were a disappointment.

So as a shooter, it was really really boring and unremarkable. The feeling after playing it was that I could just as well just have watched a playthrough on youtube, and not really have missed anything.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as an FPS campaign it's woefully underrated. i played through it like 5 times, first shooter i willingly played on highest difficulty (hard and 1999 is where it really shines). which i usually do to just put a notch on my belt

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's on par with the first one, I think. The first one felt like a brand new thing, it was innovative at the time, but I find the gameplay of Infinite to be better. The world of each one are beautifully crafted, among the best I've ever seen.
Bioshock 2, though... It's rough. Fun gameplay, story sucks.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Feels kinda like I didn't play the same game that many here did. Twice.

Cod with powers is the most ridiculous thing I would ever say to describe this game.

if this is the worstBioshock game, then it goes like this for me:

BS1 - 9.5
BS2 - 9.1
BSI - 9.099

everything, save for a couple areas, was amazing in this game for me. To each their own.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
Honestly the characters and setting are more memorable to me than bioshock.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A FPS game with horrible shooting. Probably the worst feeling FPS game I've ever bought. Made it a few hours in, terrible guns, bullet sponge enemies, etc. Can't believe people are willing to slog through that. Maybe the story really is that good but I have zero interest in ever finding out.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I disagree it's great, I thoroughly enjoyed all BioShock games to be fair and don't have a least favourite, they're great in different ways.

It's like comparing Curry, Spaghetti Bolognese and Double Fudge Chocolate Cake with Ice Cream.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'd need to replay the game to form a coherent opinion on it, but as it stands it's probably the worst Bioshock game, but still pretty memorable thanks to the setting and Elizabeth.

Last edited:

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed it more than the first one which i played late. The gameplay was legitimately terrible in 1.

JohnF

Jan 19, 2019
Bioshock 2 was my favorite in the series because it was the only one that wasn't spectacularly pretentious with its storytelling. I guess I just don't like Ken Levine's storytelling? But admittedly, I don't even remember the games anymore. I just remember the lame plot twist in the original and the eye-rolling plot twist in Infinite.

Nov 1, 2017
While the setting is more original than BioShock 2, almost everything else felt inferior. Levine and the team might have initially been more ambitious with BioShock Infinite, but the cutbacks can be felt throughout. I felt so underwhelmed at the end of it.

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
I personally think it's the best Bioshock game period, and one of the best games that came out last generation. Loved the story, the art style, the characters, and the DLC for it was extremely good.

Combat felt better and more responsive than the first two Bioshocks as well. I would say the only thing I can think of is the use of eniviroments as a weapon was definitely lacking.

Oct 27, 2017
2 is better mechanically tho. I'd rather play 2 over Infinite.

2 is better narratively too.

2 is also more consistent narratively and thematically than 1.

Infinite is a mishmash of ideas that make kind of an idiotic script. The story purports to tackle all of these deep themes but does it either poorly or in such a half assed way that it ends up becoming some unrelated bad sci-fi story that really is just kind of meandering. And yes, I understand what it's about. No, it's not that deep. It's just bad.

There's no way to say this without being insulting to people that actually think it's narratively strong, but it reminds me of what a dumb person would think a smart person sounds like.

Levine is clearly a smart guy, but Infinite is a poor showing of his writing ability.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Note, this game was VERY heavily advertised as a game where your small decisions could have major impacts on the gameplay experience.

Ofc this demo was smoke and mirrors. But even close to release they were talking about how the game would respond to your choices.

It hurts to watch this video because it actually took me back to 2013 and got me hyped about the game again.
I will never get over the fact that this is not the final game we got. It's so goddamn good.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
What a brave and controversial opinion. Almost entire of Era agrees with that. I enjoyed that "bioshock 2 is actually good" thread compared to this because it actually has an opinion that goes against the grain

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly going back to them, I think all three are pretty much on par with one another. Neither 2 nor Infinite are drastically different from the original which in itself is a rather shallow game with many flaws in both game play and story. Arkane's Prey puts the entire trilogy and it's DLC to shame, but as far as shallow experiences go, the Bioshock games are completely fine and all have wonderful atmosphere and art. Solid games but none of them really belong on a pedestal, especially when comparing them to each other.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
They took the concept of BioShock and made it into an action movie. I liked it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Bioshock 2's mp was quite fun. Love using plasmids on people and getting progressively uglier as I leveled up.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
yeah i agree. loved first and second. but this is soo flawed. hated the combat and all the bullet spong enemies

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
2 is better narratively too.

2 is also more consistent narratively and thematically than 1.

Infinite is a mishmash of ideas that make kind of an idiotic script. The story purports to tackle all of these deep themes but does it either poorly or in such a half assed way that it ends up becoming some unrelated bad sci-fi story that really is just kind of meandering. And yes, I understand what it's about. No, it's not that deep. It's just bad.

There's no way to say this without being insulting to people that actually think it's narratively strong, but it reminds me of what a dumb person would think a smart person sounds like.

Levine is clearly a smart guy, but Infinite is a poor showing of his writing ability.
Yeah i posted that in one of my replies as well. 2 is actually a better story. Its at least makes sense is written well even if it was a bit predictable. Infinite's story really makes no sense when you actually think about it. Its like a bad sci fyi novel you see in the grocery store.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I strongly agree. This game is very very not good. I also think Bioshock 2 is the most consistently great in the series and Minerva's Den is probably the best Bioshock content.

I like Burial at Sea though.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
That Lady Comstock ghost boss fight can go fuck itself. Otherwise, it's a game I enjoyed a lot, it's sad that a lot of the more interesting stuff was cut from the game.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just couldn't understand why everyone hated this game when it came out -- I think there was controversy regarding it not being as impressive in scope as the trailers led on ? Anyway, I fucked loved this game. Top 10 the previous gen for sure for me.