• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Wrong. If you watch the different possibilities you can see where they all converge, but the animation is different and the game clearly acknowledges that Booker is refusing to throw the ball.

I stand corrected. And I made sure not to throw the ball last playthrough.

I still don't like the whole setup of the scene though.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really loved this game from beginning to the end, except 1 or 2 sections.
All BioShock games are amazing in my opinion and it's not that easy for me to select the best one.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Great art and world design, dogshit story, dogshit gameplay. Just a miserable game to actually play, but I do love looking at it.
Bioshock has had more misses than hits imo, a thoroughly overrated series.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Great art and world design, dogshit story, dogshit gameplay. Just a miserable game to actually play, but I do love looking at it.
Bioshock has had more misses than hits imo, a thoroughly overrated series.
The story in this game was one of the rare stories that ever made me feel something... wether I liked what it was telling me or not. And for that it ranks as one of the best games of all time to me. It made me want to finish the game (that ended abruptly 😒) but I felt I couldn't leave the game until it was finished.

The world was believable and immersive.The stages being connected by rollercoasters was something out of a dream and fun as hell to use in combat. Gorgeous art style and scale.

You know.. scale in video games is very under appreciated when done right. Only a few has done it well and Bioshock infinite was one of them.
I dunno, I love the game and glad it was made.

My most wanted game ever is Infinite in VR. That would be something to behold.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
My most wanted game ever is Infinite in VR. That would be something to behold.

possible with 3rd party software, if you're really interested and want to tinker a bit.

but a shame there's no official VR version, as the ps3 move controls can be easily adapted. and the game is old enough to adapt to suitable VR framerate without any/much graphical sacrifice

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Unequivocally. I would never go so far as to call it bad, but it's not especially good and is certainly the worst of the trilogy by a significant margin. I really hope the next game gets back to basics.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
possible with 3rd party software, if you're really interested and want to tinker a bit.

but a shame there's no official VR version, as the ps3 move controls can be easily adapted. and the game is old enough to adapt to suitable VR framerate without any/much graphical sacrifice
Yea.. I don't understand why this isn't a thing, officially for console. One day when I get a pc I'll definitely give it a go, if it's possible.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I wasn't big on it either, gameplay or story wise. I don't remember the story of BS2 much either but I remember actually enjoying playing it.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn;t great but at least i remember it.
2 was super forgettable.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hated both the story and the gameplay. That horribly forced singing scene where Elizabeth gives an apple to a child who randomly spawns underneath a staircase makes my skin crawl a bit. That Ghost boss may stand out as one of the worst of the previous decade.

An absolute waste of the brilliant setting.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I got it free with PS PLUS and liked it enough to buy the other games in the series. Quality game.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Nah mate.
Bioshock Infinite is fucking great.
Loved the characters, the story, the use of music as a storytelling decive...
Gameplay was fun, and as the witcher, it may not be the best aspect of the game, but all the other stuff is so good i really dont give a fuck.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this, I dropped Infinite halfway through, I was interested in the world and story but I genuinely wished the game would have been just a walking-simulator without any combat. The combat was just annoying to no end.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much the only things I remember from it were the ending and the Will the Circle be Unbroken rendition they recorded for the game.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I liked it a lot, although it admittedly held up less well the second time I played it. That was quickly after my first playthrough, though, so maybe I was simply burned out on the game at that point.

But I have always been weird about Bioshock. Hated the first, liked the second and loved the third. It's not an opinion many people share with me. That said, I haven't played any of them in years. Maybe I should get the Collection bundle and see how I feel about the games now.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Never forget that bullsh*t 2011 gameplay video. Just for that blatant lie alone, Infinite deserved all the flak it got.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Never forget that bullsh*t 2011 gameplay video. Just for that blatant lie alone, Infinite deserved all the flak it got.

I think the super tired last gen consoles deserve some of the blame for how Infinite turned out. They clearly held Infinite back. I still enjoyed the game for the sumptuous art direction and cool setting, but the squandered potential stings.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Yeah, I agree. The gunplay was kind of mediocre and the story was total shit. Really fuckin' pretty though. Maybe worth a playthrough for the artstyle alone.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time with the game. Thought the political themes were interesting and relevant and the shooting was pretty good.

Fuck me, but 23 yo me was an idiot.

I don't have the raging hate-boner some people have for the game, but it was truly a poor followup to the excellent 2.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I played Minerva's Den, but never finished Bioshock 2 proper. I think I have a copy lying around, might finally see what the fuss is about.

Deleted member 59562

Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
It's not such a great game in general. Its fundamental accomplishments were done with the first Bioshock, where you are the double of the villain, experiencing violent collapse in first person, your culpability and complicity are well engineered, and the exploration of a psychotic's philosophy like objectivism feels meaningful in a story about one man, duplicated and unable to recognize or identify humanity anymore. In Infinite, you have the same ingredients, mixed poorly. The psychotic, self defeating philosophy is Imperialism-as-life, or more simply, being American.

Infinite's story starts off with a bit of promise of being a mold-breaking shooter, and then it completely falls apart as you start questioning, why am I shooting, why is the game just this weak ass shooter. Its story, which is nominally about violence as an inescapable cycle born from choices you can't ever truly make (your choices are always shoot or shoot more, your backstory choice, which isn't a choice since both are made, encountered, and experienced, is being George Crooney with a gun, or Moses, sky captain of Manifest Destiny: The Blimp), falls apart under scrutiny, and it appears to actually be pro-imperialist and pro-psychotic violence. It's a strange game to have received universal critical acclaim, it makes me think that most games critics and gamers aren't capable of critical thought.

The game has so many gaping holes as a shooter, and the story has no weight or punch to it, because it's part of a competent-at-best shooter. Why is violence a predestined outcome? Why is the baptism a murder? How is this story an eternal archetype, the story of a white guy on some gnostic journey to massacre-town? What foundational myth is that, and why not engage it through player action? Why is none of this questioned, and rendered into something meaningful to the player? You're on rails, and the idea of quantum mechanics (indeterminacy, stochastics, probability, forking worlds) is meaningless in a story about the world being a cycle of fated, though convoluted, outcomes. The outcome is always a massacre. And it's always a massacre if you're an immortal man with as unlimited bullets that the superwoman maid (and she is a maid, she's a servant in terms of game mechanics) by you can scrounge up. Why is this even a real game? How much money got spent on this stupid script?

The outcome of the story is defeatist, nihilistic, incoherent, and stupid. If the outcome of living in this world is always massacres, in all, infinite realities, it's not even really a game, it's just someone taking your money and giving you a picture of a mutant getting shot. It can't be critical or respond to its own story besides by eliminating the player for nonsensical sins (you can't sin in a world with no choice). It's not justice, it's not anything other than a moral shrug, saying, the sins will be passed on, in eternal recursion, until nothing exists.

Anyway, launch Ken Levine into the sun, this is both his idea of justice and a funny use of rocketry.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really liked it, but then again i'm a sucker for quantum mechanics and multidimensional plot points.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bad thing in a series that was focused on choice, exploration, variety and survival. It went from Bioshock to Call of Duty with powers.

This is about what I got out of it as well. It just seemed like every encounter was a shooting gallery, and not only did the shooting itself not feel that great, the powers were ho-hum for large scale fights too. Also, while it looked nice enough, a) it wasn't the game that was being advertised until a little ways prior to release (that game looked fucking awesome) and b) I greatly prefer the atmosphere of Rapture.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
1>3>2 IMO

I really enjoyed 3 but found it really easy once i got the handcannon and pretty much breezed through the game.