ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This got the loudest applause in the town hall, yet leftists want him to say "defund police" and "ACAB".
Seriously. I facepalmed when people in the debate thread were posting "yikes" at Biden not saying he would call all cops bastards. Trump may as well have had his victory speech right there.

OP
OP
platocplx

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Seriously. I facepalmed when people in the debate thread were posting "yikes" at Biden not saying he would call all cops bastards. Trump may as well have had his victory speech right there.
people really have a bad grasp on this country. A LOT of people are happy being in their caves than really seeing the light, its why you have to transition people into shit. A public/ Private option for health care starts the transition, other things that push people in an orderly manner helps, I do think federally we need accountability laws and have an office thats straight up looks at police issues in states and the govt is able to disband shitty places, but it has to also look at the nature of this country reality and I hate it many people are center with some right and some left. id love a more liberal country but it takes making the center more left.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This got the loudest applause in the town hall, yet leftists want him to say "defund police" and "ACAB".

Is this true? I watched Hasan covering this and he didn't seem bothered by Joe's reluctance to jump on that bandwagon. CTH has called that movement a non-starter because of how vague it is. I don't think any realistic leftists expect Biden to be like that - even Bernie isn't calling to defund the police, but to increase funding.

Addy Edwin

Aug 7, 2018
I'm not a US citizen and have never been to the US but that last answer got to me as well. Even though I find it odd that there are still undecided voters in this race, if I were an undecided voter myself, I'd vote for him in an instant after hearing that last bit

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'm not a US citizen and have never been to the US but that last answer got to me as well. Even though I find it odd that there are still undecided voters in this race, if I were an undecided voter myself, I'd vote for him in an instant after hearing that last bit
in my opinion, most undecideds aren't really 'undecided', they just like being won over and fought for

maybe some people change their mind, but during the election season undecided are always given a huge amount of attention

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

I'd argue that any 'undecideds' are just shy Trump voters. If you can look back at the shitshow of the last 4 years and still be undecided, you've already settled for Trump and probably did long ago.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is October 5th, and these people are still saying they are undecided. How in the fuck
They're either undecided if they want to admit they are Trump supporters or they are undecided as to whether they care enough to vote at all. We've been drowning in this narcissist's presidency for so long, nobody is unsure of whether they would vote for or against. It's just whether they will vote or not.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Whats the difference between it being a law and it having the votes in the Supreme Court? Isnt it the same thing? Sorry for my ignorance on this matter. Just thought that if a law gets the "approval" from a majority of justices, that's the rule of the land.
The Supreme Court interprets the constitution, so if they say the constitution protects a woman's right to choose what to do with her body, then that's the federal law. But that's if there is no crystal clear federal law in the first place; because before Roe v Wade there was a patchwork of differing laws about abortion in every state. All that would be needed to fix the undoing of Roe v Wade would be a federal law passing through congress and signed by the president.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The Supreme Court interprets the constitution, so if they say the constitution protects a woman's right to choose what to do with her body, then that's the federal law. But that's if there is no crystal clear federal law in the first place; because before Roe v Wade there was a patchwork of differing laws about abortion in every state. All that would be needed to fix the undoing of Roe v Wade would be a federal law passing through congress and signed by the president.
Wow if Biden and dems can do that, that would be great. Thanks for the explanation!

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is a depressingly short thread.

I mean, I get that this election is primarily a yes/no on Trump, and most Biden voters are primarily anti-Trump voters, but damn. We should still want to know who we're putting in office.

Biden's answers were excellent. Promoting unity, not of political parties, but of people. HIs answer where he described a divided nation after MLK was killed and contrasted it with swearing in with Obama as the first black president and saying "don't tell me things can't change" was inspiring.

I know around here, the preferred method of fixing the country is to get the Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos-snap all the bad people out of existence, but good luck getting enough voters on board for it to ever happen that way. The reality is closer to what Biden envisions: you populate the government with people who care, and promote policies that enact change; transparency and accountability. You tell the FBI to act on their assessment of white supremacists as the #1 threat.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Some warts and definitely areas to improve upon, but Joseph had some knockout answers. The man is very well suited for town halls.

Please become President.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, this was great! He's not the one I dream of, but as he says himself he will be a great transitional president and will pave the way for a better America.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Man I was on the "Biden is meh" bandwagon but this town hall was great. Top notch.

I mailed my vote yesterday for him of course but this further cements that. Great job. I hope he really pulls through

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was a great town hall and I'm genuinely excited for Biden now.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
Looking back on it Biden and his blind optimism for the country, even being imo inaccurate, is what the country needs right now and he's the perfect contrast to Trumps brand of politics.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His story about an "evil" Republican Colleague who always votes to take things away from people and YET adopted a disabled child shows that deep down they are okay people and you shouldnt judge them, always falls flat to me.

Taking away a million peoples access to healthcare isn't somehow made even because you saved a litter of puppies from the pouring rain last weekend.

You can still be a "piece of shit" and do something nice for someone. Doesnt make you any less of a piece of shit.

Oct 26, 2017
His story on how far things had come in 40 years was definitely moving. While some of his responses seemed naive (dont question motives, debate the issues) his compassion always shines through. From the stories of being bullied to sharing insight into his family and how he had "been there," he's just insanely relatable. Its refreshing to see a candidate allow himself to appear human and vulnerable, and a stark contrast to how Trump carries himself.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017

yeah he knows what he's doing. Defund needs to be a local issue. Feds need to just push for accountability.

👆👆👆👆👆

Exactly. Policing reform and funding is on us, we have to do it at the local level.

We have to be involved locally, every election, if we ever want to purge the Republican minority rule over this country.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Could they pre-empt the supreme court ruling ahead of time and make it a law before they have the chance to over turn it?

OP
OP
platocplx

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
👆👆👆👆👆

Exactly. Policing reform and funding is on us, we have to do it at the local level.

We have to be involved locally, every election, if we ever want to purge the Republican minority rule over this country.
yup we need local actions to push reforms. Feds need to just give oversight and not exacerbate issues and do just what Biden says bring everyone to the table.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Could they pre-empt the supreme court ruling ahead of time and make it a law before they have the chance to over turn it?
Yes, they can do that too. Historically, Democrats had enough defectors that this wasn't possible, but now it should pass a democratic house easily. Very likely it would be challenged by a state and go to the supreme court again, but it would be unlikely to be overturned.

You have to realize that a lot of these things "decided" by the supreme court (ACA, gay marriage, Roe) weren't decided by congress because reps/senators are more interested in being re-elected than governing. If you are constantly running for election, it's a detriment to have your name signed to a bill that's controversial. That's why these things keep being decided by the supreme court.

Hopefully that will change next January and we can actually have a governing body in congress again.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
In case anyone is curious, NBC's Town Hall with Joe Biden last night drew about the same numbers as Donald Trump's Town Hall that aired on ABC last month:

-September 15, Donald Trump Town Hall (ABC): 0.6 in the 18-49 demographic, 3.967 total million viewers
-October 5, Joe Biden Town Hall (NBC): 0.5 in the 18-49 demographic, 3.799 total million viewers

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-monday-network-scorecard-10-5-2020.html

What does this mean for the election? Nothing really. Football was on last night and attracted the most viewers (as it tends to do).

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
His story about an "evil" Republican Colleague who always votes to take things away from people and YET adopted a disabled child shows that deep down they are okay people and you shouldnt judge them, always falls flat to me.

Taking away a million peoples access to healthcare isn't somehow made even because you saved a litter of puppies from the pouring rain last weekend.

You can still be a "piece of shit" and do something nice for someone. Doesnt make you any less of a piece of shit.

these people don't think they are evil.

he's speaking to them, directly, signaling he doesn't think they are monsters in the hopes down the line they may be willing to walk the line his way every now and then.

it's a different kind of politics but it's not a bad move as someone whose running on "building the biggest tent"

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
these people don't think they are evil.

he's speaking to them, directly, signaling he doesn't think they are monsters in the hopes down the line they may be willing to walk the line his way every now and then.

it's a different kind of politics but it's not a bad move as someone whose running on "building the biggest tent"

yeah I know. I hear him say "I can bring dems and reps together" I just hope that after the last 12 years he knows it's bullshit

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
it's a goddam shame that fucking Trump rolling around farting out bullshit eats up the media airwaves to the extent that the presumptive 46th president's event is barely a blip

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Well, this is a depressingly short thread.

I mean, I get that this election is primarily a yes/no on Trump, and most Biden voters are primarily anti-Trump voters, but damn. We should still want to know who we're putting in office.

Biden's answers were excellent. Promoting unity, not of political parties, but of people. HIs answer where he described a divided nation after MLK was killed and contrasted it with swearing in with Obama as the first black president and saying "don't tell me things can't change" was inspiring.

I know around here, the preferred method of fixing the country is to get the Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos-snap all the bad people out of existence, but good luck getting enough voters on board for it to ever happen that way. The reality is closer to what Biden envisions: you populate the government with people who care, and promote policies that enact change; transparency and accountability. You tell the FBI to act on their assessment of white supremacists as the #1 threat.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
the amount of people bemoaning at Biden for hitting back at trump during the debate tells you all you need to know about what most people consider proper.