Between PlayStation and Xbox, which controller has the better face buttons?

• PlayStation

Votes: 856 63.9%
  • Xbox (エックスボックス)

Votes: 484 36.1%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Clearly Playstation, Xbox is just iterative of everything else. Even if you like the Xbox controller more, which is fine, Playstation is clearly more iconic. Without a doubt.
I mean playstation controller is clearly based on the snes controller. Everything builds on top of what came before it.

Xbox controller did arrive at optimal ergonomics before anyone else with the 360 controller. You can see how the others are all converging on that design now.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The real answer is the Switch Pro Controller. BIG, WIDE, LUSCIOUS face buttons. SUCCULENT. Every press a feast for the thumbs. Impossible to go back. Literally every other controller is 100% unusable.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
playstation face buttons win in every category for me.

symbols are cooler than abxy.

face button color scheme is almost the same, but with a pink button on playstation and a yellow for xbox. i'll take pink over yellow. it's not hard for me to tell the different between pink and red.

does microsoft still use bubble buttons? i can't stand how those feel.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
I actually prefer the Xbox buttons because they flex less. Been using them for years on my pc.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Xbox is better simply because they are colored. My cousin had a hard time with the dancing minigame in GTA San Andreas on PS2, and I had a breeze with it on Xbox. I then tried to help him on his PS2 and it was so much harder.

Barring color blindness, humans are much faster/better at recognizing matching colors than matching shapes.

Yes, the symbols themselves are colored on Playstation but the entire button is colored on Xbox which makes all the difference in the world.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I prefer PlayStation, but mostly because I grew up on Nintendo systems and with the Xbox Controller I have to keep reminding myself they switched A & B and X & Y around >_<

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Probably Xbox because they are the most logical to me although the PlayStation symbols are cool. Only issue with Xbox is going back and forth between it and Nintendo's backwards layout.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
ABXY is no mistake since 2001 .

Also, left analogic stick is positionned symmetrically with these ABYX button cuz they are main controlls , right analogic stick and Dpad are secondary actions.

main action : L stick----------buttons
secondary action : dpad menu -------- R stick camera

easy !

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've had Xbox buttons get stuck in the controller, so on the usability front I prefer the PS buttons. But on the joystick, if it's a shooter or a racing game there's no question I'm going Xbox

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Dualshock controllers has the best face buttons for long gameplay sessions. OG Xbox controller had the worst ones, the X360 controller are much better but the more curvy and hard plastic still make my thumb sore if i play too long.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
I mean playstation controller is clearly based on the snes controller. Everything builds on top of what came before it.

Xbox controller did arrive at optimal ergonomics before anyone else with the 360 controller. You can see how the others are all converging on that design now.
The PlayStation controller is like the SNES controller in that they both have buttons. Also no the DualShock came long before the 360 controller and has remained a similar size and shape throughout. So 360 did not event the 'optimal' ergonomics.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sega_Dreamcast_Controller_%28PAL%29.png

You can blame the Dreamcast for that one.

This thing will forever have a soft spot in my heart even with its dreadful when new face buttons.
This is probably one of the only modern-ish controller that actually got better to use after some time (Dirt on the triggers not withstanding).

As an accused XBOT. Ill say the PS face button work really well for me in pretty much any game where im using the face buttons more often than not id prefer to use that style.

Conversely and maybe even controversially.....the Xbox face buttons work brilliantly for Soul Calibur slide inputs....even if the controller overall is a worse experience for fighting games.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I like the playstation buttons, aesthetically.

But the Xbox 360/One controllers are still the best out there for usability.

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
The PlayStation controller is like the SNES controller in that they both have buttons. Also no the DualShock came long before the 360 controller and has remained a similar size and shape throughout. So 360 did not event the 'optimal' ergonomics.
Dualshock had terrible ergonomics...which is why they keep changing it.

And playstation controller obviously got its inspiration from snes. Four face buttons, shoulder buttons. You're just being a disingenuous console warrior.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Dualshock had terrible ergonomics...which is why they keep changing it.

And playstation controller obviously got its inspiration from snes. Four face buttons, shoulder buttons. You're just being a disingenuous console warrior.
Of course the PlayStation 1 controller took inspiration from other controllers that have buttons don't be stupid. But if you've held either controller, you know the SNES and PS1 controllers are almost nothing alike. Hell there is some other controllers that PS1 took inspiration from especially the DualShock like the Saturn round controller. And the ergonomics on all controllers get updated, even Xbox, but the basic outline has remained the same up until dualsense. Also this thread was about fucking face buttons so thank you for baiting me into your dumb argument.

The fact you even try to accuse me of console war bullshit shows your true intentions. I'm talking about face buttons. Good job on your childish comeback because you lost an argument, showing your lack of knowledge on the history of controllers.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One has the overall better controller, but if we are just talking face buttons, then it's PlayStation

Oct 28, 2017
Of course the PlayStation 1 controller took inspiration from other controllers that have buttons don't be stupid. But if you've held either controller, you know the SNES and PS1 controllers are almost nothing alike. Hell there is some other controllers that PS1 took inspiration from especially the DualShock like the Saturn round controller. And the ergonomics on all controllers get updated, even Xbox, but the basic outline has remained the same up until dualsense. Also this thread was about fucking face buttons so thank you for baiting me into your dumb argument.

The fact you even try to accuse me of console war bullshit shows your true intentions. I'm talking about face buttons. Good job on your childish comeback because you lost an argument, showing your lack of knowledge on the history of controllers.
I have no console bias so I can tell an angry fanboy rant when I see one. Good day.