Between PlayStation and Xbox, which controller has the better face buttons?

• PlayStation

Votes: 856 63.9%
  • Xbox (エックスボックス)

Votes: 484 36.1%

• Total voters

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really really don't like a lot of the Xbox controller.
I don't care whether sticks are offset or not, they feel fine. The triggers are good too. But I hate the rest of it. The d-pad is garbage, the bumpers have always been shit. And yes, the face buttons are way worse than on other mainstream controllers.
Weird clicky bulbous things. They don't feel right. Keep buttons flat why wouldn't they be flat??

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I like the Xbox buttons more. The Dualshock 4s buttons feels too mushy and it's kinda like you are not completely sure you pressed them. It reminds me off the keyboard Apple decided to go with before this years Macbook. Xbox buttons feels more like a mechanical keyboard, but then again i'm also used to using mechanical keyboards and the Xbox buttons feels more like that. It just feels better pressing the Xbox buttons.

Also as someone who uses the colors, the Playstation colors are just not good compared to the Xbox colors.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
makes zero difference to me since I use both (PS on console, MS on PC) and I don't find the difference so drastic that one is better than the other.

Now when you talk about comfort in my hand... well... that is something else ;)

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
Why the fuck would someone want the playstation's mushy buttons over the snappy feedback of the xbox buttons. Like the DS4 is at least better than the DS3 but still.

Yeah, I much prefer the travel/tactility of the Xbox controller buttons.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's DS4. The XBO controller face buttons are a little too loose and convex for my liking, and the only thing that lets it down. Everything else about it, including the D-Pad I much prefer to the DS4.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox face buttons are in the wrong places. That outweighs pretty much everything else in this discussion, for me.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I prefer the feel of the Xbox face buttons, though I've purchased multiple Xbox One controllers with A buttons that aren't as responsive as they should be. Also, I'm more used to the button labels on the Xbox controllers, as I was a huge Dreamcast fan and also played a lot of games on PC with XInput controllers. The symbols on the PlayStation controllers have never engrained themselves in my memory the way the Xbox button labels have.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
If we are only talking about the controllers that come with the consoles, then I still prefer the buttons Xbox controller, by quite a bit.

The Symbols used on PS (Cross, Triangle, Square, Circle), has always come off as more confusing than it needs to. For example, how would someone know intuitively that square is left and circle is right? The Xbox layout makes intuitive sense. A is home based, B is on the right + cancel. X+Y are a different row, with X on left and Y on right, because we read left to right (in north america). I do prefer the D-Pad on PS4 controllers though.

The Xbox Elite controller blows everything away though. Everything feels rapid and precise.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
PlayStation's are far more iconic, they represent their brand as much as the PS logo or even more at this point.

I also don't confuse them with Nintendo's, which is the main reason I don't like Xbox face buttons.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I do prefer PlayStations buttons.
Know where everything is and I like the symbols instead of ABXY.
Still having a hard time remembering which button is which on Xbox.
Ehh. What the hell. They both good.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'll tell you what everyone's going to vote for:

whatever they grew up with
I grew up on Nintendo consoles and PC and didn't buy a controller for PC until the end of the 360/PS3 era. From playing at friend's houses I heavily favored the PS2 controller over the original Xbox, and the PS3 and Xbox were fairly equal, but I found the Xbox One controller to be notably better, one of the best controllers I've used.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Xbox for sure, that comment about people choosing what they grew up with isn't really it.
Using a playstation controller is like picking up an NES controller again to play games. Xbox just has that perfect roundness for the palms. An the joystick placements make a huge difference.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer my thumb not to be stabbed. DS easily. I remember trying to play dmc 4 on 360. Good lord.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
I really really don't like a lot of the Xbox controller.
I don't care whether sticks are offset or not, they feel fine. The triggers are good too. But I hate the rest of it. The d-pad is garbage, the bumpers have always been shit. And yes, the face buttons are way worse than on other mainstream controllers.
Weird clicky bulbous things. They don't feel right. Keep buttons flat why wouldn't they be flat??
Same. Build quality s great. Triggers re good. Stick placement s fine i can use both. But face buttons, bumpers and d pad re awfull. How can say its goat is beyond me. I just imagine person never used anything else.

May 13, 2018
The only thing I like more about the PS4 controller over the Xbox one controller is the face buttons and the bumpers. I adore the Xbox one controller but having non clicky bumpers and flat buttons would be amazing

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Playstation has the better design for UI, as they're the only platform with unique visual identifiers for the face buttons (they're the only ones that use the shapes), even though cross and X are visually the same across platforms, since you know where the other shapes(square, triangle, circle) are, by elimination you'll remember where X/cross is on playstation. Anything with QTE or a telltale game, I'll always play on playstation because of this.

As for the physical feel, I'd give it to Xbox. The more rounded shape is more pleasant to my....thumb tip. Is a bit loud tho. Not the face buttons but just have to mention that the Xbox triggers are way better too, in every aspect.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I dunno. Both fine. Never really thought about it other than getting x/cross confused.

I will die on the hill for Xbox analogue stick placement though.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I prefer the face buttons of the PS controller because they don't click. Everything else is superior on the Xbox controller, especially the ability to hold in the bumper and trigger with one finger. It also has the best analog stick layout.

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
I don't like how Xbox controllers use hard clear plastic for the buttons instead of the softer plastic on PS controllers. I also don't like how the buttons on Xbox are not on a flat plane, with the B button sitting lower.

afphtiyw2e4_d5959b46-eb0c-4620-b013-c81643acd7c7_1024x.jpg

The B button has gotten sticky on 2 Xbox controllers which I don't know if is due to the offset design.

The new DualSense looks like it has clear plastic for the face buttons and I wonder if they're hard like Xbox buttons.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
PS facebuttons feel nicer.
Also the PS facebuttons just look better imo. I'll take the 4 famous symbols over the generic ABXY

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer flat faced buttons. I also prefer coloured buttons too. Damn shame neither the Elite controller or DualSense have coloured buttons.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox buttons feel way better to my hands, but don't the PlayStation buttons sense how hard you press? I dunno if its ever been used before, but I always thought they did that for some reason.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
PlayStation by far. Flat buttons are so much better.
The 3 things I hate about Xbox controller design are convex buttons, stiff bumpers and fuzzy d-pads.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
PlayStation for me. Xboxes buttons have far too much travel and the shape of the buttons themselves can make extended play uncomfortable. PlayStation buttons are a bit small but besides that they're perfect. I'd also give them the edge with dpad and bumper buttons (L1 & R1).

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
The daul shock by a mile, but who knows about the daul sense. Those glossy clear plastic buttons somehow rub me the wrong way, heres hoping they feel better than they look.

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
Not a fan of the xbox one controller at all. The DS4 face buttons are superior to me. I get better feedback and I detest the texture of the buttons on the One controller.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
PS for me. I like the Xbox pad a little bit more in general; feels heftier and I generally prefer the stick placement. Dpad (on XB1 anyway) still not super great compared to the PS one for me, still, though.

But I like the face buttons of the PS as I prefer the matte finish and easier to press feel.