the best sitcom of the 90's?

• Seinfeld

• Friends

• Other (mention below)

• Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Results are only viewable after voting.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Between the two, Seinfeld is the obvious answer IMO. Funny is subjective, but the writing was just so much more... intricate than Friends.

That said, Friends is right up there with it in terms of how much I enjoy it. I'll never know if it's entirely based on the shows merits, or my personal circumstances of where I was in life when it happened to air, i.e. my mid-to-late 20s, hanging out and often watching the show with my own beloved friends.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Friends is pretty entertaining and has some solid emotional beats but I don't really care much for most of the characters and the humor is fairly one note. Seinfeld is a tour de force where I come back to it and appreciate new things every time.

This thread is making me really contend with the question of Seinfeld vs The Simpsons for the first time and honestly I don't know.

Years ago, the younger me would have said The Simpsons, hands down. But the older I get, the more I grow to appreciate Seinfeld. The Simpsons has better gags but Seinfeld really speaks to certain truths of 30-something life that I was previously unable to understand.
I love Seinfeld but classic Simpsons is the best American TV show of all time. It's everything, it's smart, it's hilarious, it's heartfelt, but what Simpsons also does is build an amazingly fun world of Springfield where you just feel at home watching it, knowing it so well. They're very different shows but classic Simpsons is peerless as far as I'm concerned.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's Seinfeld. It's timeless. I can watch an episode now and connect with it just like I did back them. Whereas Friends seems like it's only relevant to the time it was created.

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
I really need to sit down and watch Seinfeld with it being on Netflix, always meant to give it a go.

I'd agree Friends doesn't really hold up well nowadays and thinking about on the bits I remember from watching it, there were a lot of cringeworthy moments. It's still decent background worthy TV but if I had to choose a sitcom to actively watch, put me in team Frasier. Didn't care for it growing up as a kid but as an adult I love it. I can happily watch through the whole thing and then start over from the beginning instantly.

3rd Rock From The Sun will always have a special place in my heart as I watched it a lot growing up. "Hated" John Lithgow growing up because of the Harry and the Hendersons movie (the ending always made me cry as a kid) and from being the bad corporate guy from Santa Claus: The Movie but he's a phenomenal actor in this (and everything) and really elevated that show, hamming it up throughout (the bit where he dyes his hair early on or the tissue box as examples off the top of my head).

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI
p184023_b_v9_ab.jpg

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
early simpsons, fresh prince, frasier and seinfeld are the top tier. good reason why they're still dependable syndication staples. rewatchable forever

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seinfield is one of the most overrated shows ever. Friends is the obvious answer.