• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Tech Demo

• Astro Boy Playroom

Votes: 201 46.0%
  • Wii Sports

Votes: 236 54.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Justified

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It's Wii Sports hands down.

Like, my grandma and grandpa played Wii Sports. My mom and dad, who were anti video games, played Wii Sports. It was brought into senior centers, rehabs, youth groups, etc . . . All because it was one of the most easy to pick up games of all time and it was a blast to play with others.

I bet that if you broke down the poll results the majority of those picking Astro Boy are <25.

Results are closer than I thought

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
It has to be Wii Sports. That revolutionized gaming. Astro shows off neat things the system can do. Wii Sports WAS the system.

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Poll numbers are mad crazy. Wii sports was huge because it was so accessable i knew really old people who had a Wii just for that game. Heck, my dad even had one. He wouldn't buy a PS5 for astros playroom.

Astros playroom is a fun game, and its use of the haptic feedback and the resistive button stuff is great, but these are advances in hd rumble and the stuff ms put in their controller last gen. (To a point) albiet good examples...

But nobodys dad is rushing out in mass to buy a PS5 cuz they heard astro was a game changer.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
like, enhanced HD rumble, cool..I get it

but the Wii had MOTION CONTROLS.. when you swung the wiimote and moved your tennis racket, bowling ball, baseball bat, whatever, it was just transformative. You think the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles were hard to find? Try finding a Wii when it launched.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
It's Wii Sports hands down.

Like, my grandma and grandpa played Wii Sports. My mom and dad, who were anti video games, played Wii Sports. It was brought into senior centers, rehabs, youth groups, etc . . . All because it was one of the most easy to pick up games of all time and it was a blast to play with others.

I bet that if you broke down the poll results the majority of those picking Astro Boy are <25.

I hate it every time someone makes an age generalization like this. I'm 35, I had a Wii at launch and Astrobot is just a better game. You don't need to go around making up excuses or theories as to why people don't always agree with you.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Astro's Playroom is a phenomenal experience and some of the most fun I've had with the PS5 thus far, but Wii Sports is the clear choice here. Like, I'm not even sure how you could even argue against it.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay wow I actually Ctrl+F'd all the posts in this thread up to this point and:

Astro Boy is the more impressive Tech Demo.
I'd rather play Wii Sports in 2020. It's a really fun game.

You are the only person who posted any sort of reply suggesting it is Astro that does the tech demo thing better, at least as far as I could find. I personally disagree but I can see people being wowed by different things.

Clearly anonymous polls should just not be trusted though.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Wii Sports' controls were far more limited than if they'd just used analog stick input, even dpad controls
The game's jaggy 480p anamorphic widescreen looked like baked ass a year after 360 launched

Wii Sports was a terrible tech demo.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I hate it every time someone makes an age generalization like this. I'm 35, I had a Wii at launch and Astrobot is just a better game. You don't need to go around making up excuses or theories as to why people don't always agree with you.
Meh, of course there will be outliers, but I still think if you had the ages of the respondants the Astrobot voters would skew much younger.

Also while I personally would enjoy sitting down and playing astro bot more, I don't think it's the better game. Wii Sports hit a much broader audience in a way that no game before, nor any game since then, has. It was so well designed that it transcended the typical gaming audience. Just because we as enthusiasts would rather play Astro Bot doesn't discount the fact that Wii Sports being able to resonate with such an incredible breadth of people makes it an absolutely masterfully designed game. In a list of the top games of all time, a case could be made for Wii Sports to appear, but Astro's Playroom wouldn't even remotely be a part of the running.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Poll results show how young this board is. Wii Sports was a full on cultural phenomenon
Seriously! People are just hyped up on the new thing. Wii Sports was a game people were so in love with, they wouldn't buy any other games for the system.

Wii Sports' controls were far more limited than if they'd just used analog stick input, even dpad controls
The game's jaggy 480p anamorphic widescreen looked like baked ass a year after 360 launched

Wii Sports was a terrible tech demo.

I don't even know how to respond to this. Like, motion controls were the tech they were demoing, not HD graphics.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Wii's 'motion control' strength was in pointer/cursor controlled games, not accelerometer stuff.
Seriously! People are just hyped up on the new thing. Wii Sports was a game people were so in love with, they wouldn't buy any other games for the system.

I don't even know how to respond to this. Like, motion controls were the tech they were demoing, not HD graphics.
Wii's accelerometer wasn't able to interpret any respectable nuance of motion, only with Motion Plus added and good software like Skyward Sword did they elevate 3D games beyond analog sticks and buttons.

Wii Sports didn't even have good SD graphics. Any number of PS2, Xbox and GameCube games had better graphics many years earlier.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Wii's 'motion control' strength was in pointer/cursor controlled games, not accelerometer stuff.

Wii's accelerometer wasn't able to interpret any respectable nuance of motion, only with Motion Plus added and good software like Skyward Sword did they elevate 3D games beyond analog sticks and buttons.

Wii Sports didn't even have good SD graphics. Any number of PS2, Xbox and GameCube games had better graphics many years earlier.
But as a functional showcase for motion controls, it was a great tech demo.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If you mean "Which one best demonstrates what the technology can do?", then it's probably got to be Wii Sports, right? Nintendo sold an insane number of consoles on the strength of that game.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
wii sports is the correct answer it sold an idea to a whole new audience. You do not get your grandma to play astro boy.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
I had more fun with Astro's Playroom. The only game I liked in Wii Sports was the bowling one.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Wii Sports sold the entire platform. Like, it's the reason the Wii became the juggernaut that it was.

If we're talking "Which one best demonstrates the appeal of the system's unique controller" it's unquestionably Wii Sports. Literally anyone could pick up Wii Sports and immediately understand the appeal.

The same cannot be said of Astro, as neat of a game as it is.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I haven't played Astro Bot, but Wii Sports is legendary.

It has reached a status few games ever have or will. And I think people often forget how fun it was.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Wii Sports. It very quickly got you into the Wii's main hook and sold countless Wiis. Endless replayability in spite of the limitations of the tech.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Wii Sports sold consoles to people who never really owned one in their life.

Why the fuck is this even close?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Astro is way more enjoyable and actually the sole reason I bought a ps5 at launch.

Overall it will 'sell' more as like playroom it will be on every ps5 whereas wii sports stopped being packed in after a year or so.

However impact wise you can't argue with wii sports it was the grandma game. Heck my dad bought a wii for it and never bought another game and he's hated games since broken sword 2

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Man I love Astro. It does some really dope shit and though I haven't finished it yet it is an amazing product. Polished to a mirror shine, great variety and it's beautiful on top of that. But I have to roll with Wii Sports. That shit had everybody hooked and it was because of how they sold their tech in an easy to understand package. Buy this, it comes with this, swing your arm like this and...look at that, you're bowling. People were fucking floored by it. It was basically magic for a lot of folks.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, of course there will be outliers, but I still think if you had the ages of the respondants the Astrobot voters would skew much younger.

Also while I personally would enjoy sitting down and playing astro bot more, I don't think it's the better game. Wii Sports hit a much broader audience in a way that no game before, nor any game since then, has. It was so well designed that it transcended the typical gaming audience. Just because we as enthusiasts would rather play Astro Bot doesn't discount the fact that Wii Sports being able to resonate with such an incredible breadth of people makes it an absolutely masterfully designed game. In a list of the top games of all time, a case could be made for Wii Sports to appear, but Astro's Playroom wouldn't even remotely be a part of the running.

'Design, had next to nothing to do with the appeal it had to nongamers. It was all about the way it aped things they were already familiar with both in terms of the activities available and the way you used the controller to perform them. It didnt hurt that the wii was a very cheap box that everyone and their dog could afford to pick up without feeling too guilty.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even a huge fan of Wii Sports, but c'mon, it's debatably the game of the 2000s decade and maybe the most accessible game ever made to that point while inspiring numerous knock offs.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wii Sports got so many people into playing games that would normally have no interest. The Wii Remote was intuitive for many people, especially with tennis, bowling etc and was unlike all the fiddly controllers that were on previous consoles.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Wii sports sold consoles alone, many people just owned that game on the wii and never bought anything else... People arent going to go out of their way to get the PS5 over Astro Boy Playroom and never buy anything else for the system.

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Console warring, multiple prior bans for console warring
The fact that this is even being asked, let alone seeing Astro Bot being so close to Wii Sports in this poll is the ultimate proof of how ridiculously Sony slanted this forum is.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Astro bot is a fun little tech demo that you play while waiting for Spider-Man or Demon's Souls to install. It's full of charm, and there are some very cool effects with the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, but the game itself is very short with very little reason to return to it. Astro Bot is a cool bonus you get with your PS5 not the main course.

Whereas Wii Sports was an international phenomenon that was all over the news, being used in retirement homes, appealed to non-gamers, and really overall instantly sold the vision of the system Nintendo was making. The Wii was such a huge success in large part due to Wii Sports.

Wii Sports is the better tech demo by a long shot.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Wii Sports was like The shit in 2007 even tho i didnt really like It. It was on stuff like The Tonight Show, Morning shows etc. Also the poll really shows how much the forum reaaaally favors Sony, like damn. I am sure i would personally favor Astrobot as a game but it's not even close when it come to mindshare and so on.

Last edited:

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Best quality game? Astro.
Most impact/ influence? Wii Sports.

It's a weird comparison to make, honestly, because it's almost like Wii Sports went viral. It was the right environment and market at the time for it to explode.

As for which game debuted the featureset of the console better. I have to give it to Astro because it the features it promotes are varied and far more difficult to convey. Not to mention, the more I played it, the more features I realised it highlighted. Cards, tips, speed run notifications. This in addition to the suite of dual sense features. It's an incredibly tightly crafted game.