DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This thread is the most outoftouchERA thread I've seen in a while.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People mad about SUVs can stay mad. I bought one in April because I regularly travel 1000km round trips to the girlfriend and when I bring my dog I don't want him in the back seat. He's able to have his own space in the back and I still have room for storage. Also, winter's can get down to -40 and below, with lots of ice and snow, so a reliable vehicle that can drive in conditions like that with winter tires is needed. I've been stuck in a ditch before. I know some cars have awd (Subaru's especially), but the extra space the vehicle I bought gives me a lot of freedom. It's not too bad on gas either, although I do wish it was a hybrid.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
People mad about SUVs can stay mad. I bought one in April because I regularly travel 1000km round trips to the girlfriend and when I bring my dog I don't want him in the back seat. He's able to have his own space in the back and I still have room for storage. Also, winter's can get down to -40 and below, with lots of ice and snow, so a reliable vehicle that can drive in conditions like that with winter tires is needed. I've been stuck in a ditch before. I know some cars have awd (Subaru's especially), but the extra space the vehicle I bought gives me a lot of freedom. It's not too bad on gas either, although I do wish it was a hybrid.
Nobody is mad about SUV's. Era is like the twilight zone.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it is extremely odd that there aren't like annual safety inspections for cars.

You shouldn't be able to just slap a 3" spacer lift or wheel offset to make the wheels stock out more on your truck and have no one even check out that it was done correctly.
There are where i live (Italy)

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Get a minivan. Still a better option for yourself and those around you than buying a raised Golf or an overcompensating SUV. Nice try though.

Good idea. Unless of course you care about residual value. Good luck trying to sell that kind of car in the future! Better drive it until someone tells you you're an asshole because you drive an old car which doesn't comply to state of the art emission standards.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well that is one way of somewhat reducing CO2 emissions in cities. Those things usually have bigger engines than the equivalent.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1gttdGT.jpg

Never heard SUV referred to as a 4x4 before. By "tank like 4x4" I thought they meant armoured ATVs or something 🤔

This is nothing. Should see some of the trucks driving around in the US. Now those are tanks and yes I think they should be banned. Not standard SUVs like this Porche though.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Most people don't need them
It's a dumb fucking trend

People don't need a lot of the things they buy. They buy them because they like them. I've never owned an SUV in my life and probably never will, but I don't really care that others buy them. Well, except for the fact that crossovers are killing the market for station wagons and actual 4x4 SUV's.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hi, I live in a city where the roads are so bad, cars bottom out regularly and trash transmissions, oil pans, etc. If you want to bad SUVs on the basis of mpg, I could see that as an argument. I own an SUV in the city for that reason and that I have two kids, a wife and a dog which requires 4+ seats.

All other arguments are bunk I would say.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
ban awd tanks like these
07TUk3edSbek-Kam9ZWZzA.1440x700.jpg

usc90suc043d021001.png

2019-mazda-mazda3-awd-review-6-1500x1000.jpg
Again, the people who said this bann shit don't mean cars with all-wheel-drives but SUVs. Which is still BS because the class of SUV is already watered down with many cross models like the macan, Q3, Q5, T-Cross etc. Many are not even the hight of some family vans like a Touran.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm always weirded out when I see a big full size truck parked on the street in my Seattle neighborhood. The streets are super narrow and most people live in apartments so what are they needing them for?

Shit, whenever I borrow my dad's (who lives in the suburbs) truck for yard work and park it in my driveway I feel like a giant asshole.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love love love love love riding my motorcycles. You know this. But if governments ever got their collective acts together for a blanket ban on all recreational or non essential petrol/diesel burning, I would welcome it. (Provided it's part of an offensive that's based on data and equally impactful for both rich and poor). Not gonna happen though, so I'll just take the big twins for the occasional spin until the whole mess comes tumbling down like a house of cards.

But there's literally no way to reasonably measure whether fuel consumption is essential or not. Unless you wanted to GPS plan your trip and then submit an application which both shows your route and explains why you must drive instead of using some other method, or submitting an explanation as to why the use of a car might be essential or not.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Good idea. Unless of course you care about residual value. Good luck trying to sell that kind of car in the future! Better drive it until someone tells you you're an asshole because you drive an old car which doesn't comply to state of the art emission standards.

Reusing and repairing is a big component of sustainable practices. I can't see a new car bought in the last year or so falling that far outside emissions standards over the next 10 years.

Frankly if you're buying a car for how much it'll be worth later you're doing it wrong. Best way to become a millionaire in the car market is to go in a billionaire.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most people don't need their cars either, but most people would agree that it would be unreasonable to ask them to forgo them in place of motorcycles. Just let people buy the cars they want. Assuming they're roadworthy and compliant, I don't see the issue if you're buying a car regardless.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Just get a station wagon or hatchback people, are you really going to fill 7 seats? And if you are how often will that be, like five times in a year? It's like a suburban dick measuring contest
To have the smallest dick? We're talking about a compact SUV here. Its a "tall" hatchback that is still shorter than almost all adults. Jesus, how hard it to form a slightly informed opinion before posting.

illrated

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Era, you need to get out more. Take a trip out to the country and see how other people live.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads a good precursor for the inevitable bans in the future from the government in a futile attempt to stop global warming. I read somewhere about rationing fuel by dividing between public and private business within the next 20 years, that'll be a good thread.

Also strangely have a better understanding of gun advocates.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
SUVs and pickups are too much car for most people who drive them. That said, pickups make sense as a work vehicle at least, and are seldom seen in most dense cities anyway. SUVs just seem like bigger minivans to me.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Each passing day on the road makes me feel that I need to also get an SUV so I can see past three selfish entitled SUV drivers around me. It's fucking annoying seeing these idiots driving just themselves or their partner to work or whatever in these oversized vehicles.

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps this will lead us to the promised utopia wherein the wagon ascends to its rightful place as king of the automotive world. Anything a SUV can do, a properly sorted wagon can do better.

Except off-roading, which is a moot point anyways since 99.8% of SUV drivers never see anything more intense then a gravel driveway.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Each passing day on the road makes me feel that I need to also get an SUV so I can see past three selfish entitled SUV drivers around me. It's fucking annoying seeing these idiots driving just themselves or their partner to work or whatever in these oversized vehicles.

This is so fuckling dumb. People can have an SUV and use it as it is intended and also use it to carry one person. Like what sort of entitlement do you have getting mad at people for driving a vehicle? I swear, some people here want everyone in a one seater.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Threads a good precursor for the inevitable bans in the future from the government in a futile attempt to stop global warming. I read somewhere about rationing fuel by dividing between public and private business within the next 20 years, that'll be a good thread.

Go on...what have you learned about gun advocates from this thread?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
That trend keeps you awfully busy on the Internet.

How so? Are you extrapolating opinions in this thread into such gems as "SUVs don't kill people, bad people with SUVs kill people? "? Maybe "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a truck is a good guy with a truck"? That people are indifferent to all the school massacres committed with SUVs?

Please, don't leave us hanging in anticipation.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
That a restriction that seems sensible, in this case restricting over-sized vehicles from city centers, to some people can feel like a threat to their way of life.

The Macan is what this thread was about. A Macan. Here is another study. Semis kill pedestrian at a higher percentage than SUVs. Ban shipping? Have everything shipped in small hatches?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
That a restriction that seems sensible, in this case restricting over-sized vehicles from city centers, to some people can feel like a threat to their way of life.

I drive a crossover, which I don't consider to be an SUV, and it's larger than the vehicle in the OP.

I'm for banning all but a limited style of guns and of those they all have to be IDed, chipped, everything.

I really don't think these issues are related. There aren't mass SUV accidents. Teens aren't driving SUVs into schools or malls. I'm not aware of any peer reviewed scientific research in SUVs plowing into people as an epidemic. If it's a city with tiny roads, yes a ban makes sense.

I'm also environmentally active. I was in an environmentalist club in high school. I drove a civic until recently but life stuff makes a crossover make more sense - Moving elderly parents and having kids. Pilot gets ~20mpg average and for other stuff we use my wife's sonata at 30+mpg. I pay for 100% renewable electricity and avoid air travel, but I don't aggressively flaunt it as some have in this thread. My concern is that people have polarized and conflated viewpoints into 2 buckets, don't understand or tolerate different life situations. It's not constructive, but anyway that's my 2 cents.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Also I just checked and the Macan, the "SUV" tank is lighter than the Panamera, the sensible station wagon from Porshe.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I don't understand what I'm reading here

You guys want to ban SUVs and anything bigger than SUVs?

Cars are dying, manufacturers are discontinuing the traditional cars, 2/4D sedans. SUVs are best seller seller vehicles as of late.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to live in a city that has banned personal automobiles and utilizes 100% public transportation and/or walking.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so fuckling dumb. People can have an SUV and use it as it is intended and also use it to carry one person. Like what sort of entitlement do you have getting mad at people for driving a vehicle? I swear, some people here want everyone in a one seater.

How about driving something that's more economical (the majority of all SUVs aren't electric or hybrids), more environmentally friendly, and not a goddamn inconvenience and danger to others around you.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
How about driving something that's more economical (the majority of all SUVs aren't electric or hybrids), more environmentally friendly, and not a goddamn inconvenience and danger to others around you.
How is it an inconvenience to others? Car makers are not selling cars anymore because cars are not seen as you useful to the market.