• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord

Eel_SLiXgAkwZE6

Holy shit.

Unreal.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If they knew that was stored there why didnt they order an evacuation warning soon as the first fire hit, don't even get me started on fucking fireworks being next to that. What fucking incompetence all around.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Prayers to all down there, cannot imagine the amount of fear and dread going on in the streets at the moment.

If these reports are accurate about fireworks/seized chemicals, for over a year, the outrage throughout the populace as these details are uncovered will be severe.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If they knew that was stored there why didnt they order an evacuation warning soon as the first fire hit, don't even get me started on fucking fireworks being next to that. What fucking incompetence all around.
Spoken as a Lebanese-American myself who's lived there plenty, Lebanon's infrastructure and economy is in shambles, currency is freefalling, COVID's spiking back up. There's been electricity problems for decades with daily power outages for the longest time in a lot of different areas. Politicians are mostly inept and greedy. Shit never gets done.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That area is gonna descend into chaos after having their port destroyed and already everyone is hungry and broke. Whey they gonna get food now?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Prayers to all down there, cannot imagine the amount of fear and dread going on in the streets at the moment.

If these reports are accurate about fireworks/seized chemicals, for over a year, the outrage throughout the populace as these details are uncovered will be severe.

Out of curiosity why did they just store it instead of immediately process it and get it out of there!

Having it anywhere near a Fireworks factory on top of that....

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I pray for everyone right now. That aftermath photo is so sad to see.

From Al Jazeera

Local currency has lost it's value 10x over. COVID. Foreign minister just resigned, general local government problems.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just keep going over it in my head. How do you store fireworks in the same warehouse where you store highly explosive confiscated materials? Better yet how do you store those things within throwing distance of a densely populated area?

I don't understand.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I just keep going over it in my head. How do you store fireworks in the same warehouse where you store highly explosive confiscated materials? Better yet how do you store those things within throwing distance of a densely populated area?

I don't understand.

May not have been the same warehouse, as opposed to next one over. Earlier in the thread someone shows that, going over footage frame by frame, it's a building previously separate of the fire that's at the core of the blast.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Spoken as a Lebanese-American myself who's lived there plenty, Lebanon's infrastructure and economy is in shambles, currency is freefalling, COVID's spiking back up. There's been electricity problems for decades with daily power outages for the longest time in a lot of different areas. Politicians are mostly inept and greedy. Shit never gets done.
Thanks for this info, stuff like this always pisses me off and it sucks that people tend to just have to deal with it.

Shady

Oct 28, 2017
In shock. 4AM here in Australia and cannot sleep.

My extended family in Lebanon lives on the other side of the country but there will be some who work in Beirut. Fingers crossed they're all safe :(

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck! I was in Beirut 2 years ago, such a lovely place with people so friendly and helping. Wish they can recover :(

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Explosion happen around 400m in front of me, I was in a cab getting back from work, my co worker with me, our road home takes us past Port of Beirut into Downtown and upwards.

When we reached the fire brigade 400m before the port we saw a huge black plume coming out from the port, then a massive shockwave and explosion. Two cars in front of us were smashed by the wave, we got out and ran back.

Less than a minute later, smashed cars, bloodied people, babies. We walked back home through Gemayze which is near the port, it's a freaking war zone.

I lived through two Israeli wars and no airstrike does this amount of damage, the whole of Beirut is ruined.

This is 30 minutes after the explosion, the epicenter at the port.

Last edited:

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Wow that's terrifying. I can't imagine seeing a shockwave like that lifting the ground and buildings right in front of you. What a tragedy.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

People here aren't familiar with Middle Eastern outlets. I clicked his profile, googled for MEE, their history and notable events and concluded that they are probably trustworthy. But I doubt every viewer here did the same and as the first and almost only lead on an explanation it would help to have their outlet's veracity accompany the info.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've always heard about the power issues but didn't know it went that far back. Seems terrifying to not have power during a situation like this. Not being able to contact loved ones around there to find out if they are safe would be horrible for people who have loved ones there.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Local reporter, says 50 tons of Nitrate were offloaded 10 years ago from a ship that needed repairs, the ship never came back for the Nitrate.

These materials should've been disposed off, but our country is wracked with corruption and incompetence.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Explosion happen around 400m in front of me, I was in a cab getting back from work, my co worker with me, our road home takes us past Port of Beirut into Downtown and upwards.

When we reached the fire brigade 400m before the port we saw a huge black plume coming out from the port, then a massive shockwave and explosive. Two cars in front of us were smashed by the wave, we got out and ran back.

Less than a minute later, smashed cars, bloodied people, babies. We walked back home through Gemayze which is near the port, it's a freaking war zone.

I lived through two Israeli wars and no airstrike does this amount of damage, the whole of Beirut is ruined.

This is after the explosion in 30 minutes, the epicenter at the port.

Fuck, stay safe and best of luck.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

When we reached the fire brigade 400m before the port we saw a huge black plume coming out from the port, then a massive shockwave and explosive. Two cars in front of us were smashed by the wave, we got out and ran back.

glad you are safe.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017

Glad you are safe.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017

When we reached the fire brigade 400m before the port we saw a huge black plume coming out from the port, then a massive shockwave and explosion. Two cars in front of us were smashed by the wave, we got out and ran back.

Jesus. Glad you're safe.

What a nightmare.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

Thankfully you are aafe.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I think all the time about how much I would love to be walking through Achrafieh again, I hope you guys are okay and that no one you know is hurt

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Well silos can store hundreds to thousands of tons, so 50 tons aren't really a lot, amount wise. Why they stored explosive Ammonium Nitrate near populated areas is the problem.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands

:O !
Glad your alive stay safe!
And thank you for your write up.

More videos coming from the aftermath :(