• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
One of the rising tweets in Lebanon is #الاعدام_لبدري_ضاهر

Which is basically calling for the execution of the director general of Lebanese customs office, notorious for corruption

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
This does remind me of the Halifax Explosion. Never again store, transport, or handle explosives near city populations.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I've only just heard about this. This is so fucked. I don't know what to say...

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Holy shit. Just saw the big explosion.
Though it was already over and it was still burning.

What did explode though. Was there something explosiv stored.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just catching up on this.

The human loss is absolutely heartbreaking, I hope the casualties don't climb any higher than they have. I'l be pitching in donations to do what I can to help.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

That's legitimately the scariest thing I've read in a long time. Would easily be the biggest non war time explosion outside of nuclear testing that I can think of.

Edit: Could be Jordan misreading something. I'd hope so because that's unimaginable.

Think that was wrong, says tweet deleted.

But yes, this is on the scale of the explosion in Texas City and Halifax. Wierdly enough, both also accidents related to shipping.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
oh my goodness, that's fucking horrible. my heart breaks seeing that. RIP to all the victims. Fucking fuck those poor people =(

The world is with you Lebanon/Beirut.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
God, this is heartbreaking :(
I've been trying to donate for an hour now, hopefully I can get through soon.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
First explosions were related to fireworks, the second (and much larger explosion) is related to ammonium nitrate (used in fertilizer)? Correct?

Horrible tragedy. Those videos are terrifying...

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
UN peacekeepers injured:

UNIFIL statement on the explosion in Beirut

As a result of a huge explosion that rocked Beirut Port this evening, one of the UNIFIL ships of the Maritime Task Force docked in the port was damaged, leaving some UNIFIL naval peacekeepers injured – some of them seriously. UNIFIL is transporting the injured peacekeepers to the nearest...

As a result of a huge explosion that rocked Beirut Port this evening, one of the UNIFIL ships of the Maritime Task Force docked in the port was damaged, leaving some UNIFIL naval peacekeepers injured – some of them seriously.

UNIFIL is transporting the injured peacekeepers to the nearest hospitals for medical treatment.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Absolutely heartbreaking, I don't know what else to say. I hope they get to the bottom of this.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
That is TERRIFYING. Oh my god. RIP to all the poor first responders that were right there trying to put the fire out. Really awful. I hope the death toll doesn't end up being massive. Already pretty bad.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
This is so horrifying.

Tons of Ammonium Nitrate which were set off by a prior smaller explosion.

Ammonium Nitrate is also what caused the industrial accident in the AZF plant in Toulouse, France, in 2001. 2700 injured and 37 people dead.
Maybe some limits to the amount that can be stored at any location should be implemented.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That dashcam footage is terrifying. I couldn't imagine just driving down the road and suddenly there's a mushroom cloud on the horizon, hoping you aren't about to be vaporized.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
My RC donation went through. Still trying to donate to the Beirut disaster relief fund.
So this was pretty much the governments fault for not properly disposing of the explosives right?
I hope they're held accountable for their negligence.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
This fucking year.... so much unnecessary and tragic loss of life.

Those poor souls.

Fuck, this is too much. They were just going about their days, not knowing what was going to occur.

RIP

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Think that was wrong, says tweet deleted.

But yes, this is on the scale of the explosion in Texas City and Halifax. Wierdly enough, both also accidents related to shipping.
Yep.

However now the Guardian are reporting 2,700 tonnes of ammonium nitrate on site. That's 3.5x the amount at Tianjin.

I can only pray for those affected.
Jesus Christ. Something that was completely avoidable.
50 tonnes would be bad. 2,700 explains the sheer volume of explosion we saw.

This is beyond terrifying.

friskybobcat

The Fallen
Nov 28, 2017
I was about 8 km away on my motorcycle when glass shattered from buildings surrounded me. I thought I had just driven by a car explosion.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

However now the Guardian are reporting 2,700 tonnes of ammonium nitrate on site. That's 3.5x the amount at Tianjin.

I can only pray for those affected.

50 tonnes would be bad. 2,700 explains the sheer volume of explosion we saw.

This is beyond terrifying.

yeah this has to be the 2700 tons number i imagine. I would try to look up the energy conversion but I think that search would get me on a list.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
These videos are hard to digest, I cannot imagine witnessing that first hand.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
BBC quoting Lebanese PM saying was 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate left in the warehouse for 6 years, wtf.
As a chemist, I can only say... incredibly careless!

This does remind me of the Halifax Explosion. Never again store, transport, or handle explosives near city populations.
Indeed, loaded with TNT, TNP (trinitrophenol/picric acid) and the flammable solvent benzene (which ignited during collision and lead to the explosion).
---
Will also donate. Damn...

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Horrible, scary and insane. Videos of the explosions look straight up unreal.
I hope the death toll doesn't climb rapidly.