• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Microsoft's mega-deal worries small video game makers

Indie games developers are nervous they will be squeezed out if the big firms' dominance grows.

Interesting article from the indie perspective

When Tanya Short first pitched the idea for Boyfriend Dungeon, a computer game where the player's romantic partners are monster-vanquishing weapons, publishers didn't seem overly interested.
"They all rejected it. They said the name wasn't interesting, or they just didn't understand it," says Ms Short, the director and chief executive of independent game studio, Kitfox Games.
It was only after a growing buzz about the game, and some initial funds, via Kickstarter, that the games platforms changed their tune.
Boyfriend Dungeon is now available on a variety of systems, including PC, Xbox and Nintendo Switch.
But Ms Short worries that quirky games like hers, designed by creatively independent studios, will have an even harder route to market in the future - because the biggest corporate firms in gaming are expanding.

Ms Short is one of a number of indie game developers who have told BBC News they are worried about what the deal could mean for the industry.
Microsoft insists it will continue to cater for small, independent developers. But some of those developers are deeply concerned, for instance, that if the Microsoft-owned, Game Pass subscription service, increasingly becomes the only means through which many people access games, small studios could be left competing for funding and promotion via that platform.
It could be viewed as a video game version of the problem that some artists say they face on music streaming platform, Spotify.
Ms Short also points out that, currently, indie studios already avoid launching their games in the run-up to Christmas, since so many large, or "triple-A" titles are released during that period. Think Call of Duty or FIFA. But with greater consolidation of large developers - and platforms, such as Xbox and Game Pass, calling more of the shots - things could get even trickier.
"This Activision acquisition strikes fear in us because it makes it so much more obvious - maybe they could dominate the rest of the year and then what do we do?" she says.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Not specifically about indies, but I have wondered if there'll be a backlash from third party publishers towards Game Pass. I love Game Pass, but could see how it growing could be severely damaging to third party pubs. I imagine this will also affect indies.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Not specifically about indies, but I have wondered if there'll be a backlash from third party publishers towards Game Pass. I love Game Pass, but could see how it growing could be severely damaging to third party pubs. I imagine this will also affect indies.

The NPD reports consistently show that Gamepass has not had a negative effect on game sales, if anything they increase visibility.

As long as Steam and Nintendo exist it's hard for anyone to corner the market on small, innovative games that no one has tried to do before. By their nature acquisitions are always LTTP transactions.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
User warned: platform warring, drive-by posting
Oh boy, here come the 8-9 usual suspects ready to recycle the same talking points at each other in bad faith until the next one of these threads pops up

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017

I agree. The first party catalog of titles owned by Microsoft now can fulfill the Game Pass catalog on its own. Microsoft has been really supportive of indies in cutting deals for Game Pass, to the extent it's kept a few of them afloat when they may not have had that security otherwise. Will Microsoft be less motivated to continue such deals now that it feasibly doesn't need to anymore?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I agree. The first party catalog of titles owned by Microsoft now can fulfill the Game Pass catalog on its own. Microsoft has been really supportive of indies in cutting deals for Game Pass, to the extent it's kept a few of them afloat when they may not have had that security otherwise. Will Microsoft be less motivated to continue such deals now that it feasibly doesn't need to anymore?

Maybe, but wouldn't that just leave an opening for Sony? I feel like the market for indie titles is pretty well established at this point. MS would just be costing themselves customers who have enjoyed Deaths Door and Outer Wilds and Hades and all the other great indies.

In fact wasn't boyfriend dungeon itself on game pass?

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
The lowering barrier of entry and ease of making games is probably hurting small developers more. Pretty easy to drown in a sea of shit when a million games come out each week. I don't know if microsoft owning more developers will make them pickier with allowing games onto xbox. Seems like a fairly random leap.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
"deeply concerned, for instance, that if the Microsoft-owned, Game Pass subscription service, increasingly becomes the only means through which many people access games"

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Ms Short also points out that, currently, indie studios already avoid launching their games in the run-up to Christmas, since so many large, or "triple-A" titles are released during that period. Think Call of Duty or FIFA. But with greater consolidation of large developers - and platforms, such as Xbox and Game Pass, calling more of the shots - things could get even trickier.
"This Activision acquisition strikes fear in us because it makes it so much more obvious - maybe they could dominate the rest of the year and then what do we do?" she says.
This is already happening with or without MS buying publishers. Indies have been pushed aside by AAA games for like the past 20 years.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Does she mean that Microsoft might spread out their increased newly purchased IPs through out the year, instead of their usual release windows, just to fill out Game Pass?

Yeah that can happen.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
The problem I found in this narrative is they seems to think the business somewhat dictates how consumer behaves, not the other way around. if a scenario of subscription service increasingly becomes the only means through which many people access games become reality, then that's only because the customer believe that is the better way for them, they have multiple options to consume the content and they collectively choose one of which, what's wrong with that?

Oct 25, 2017

At the very least Xbox can't cut deals for every indie game and if Game Pass grows to the point it's the main way most people play games like Netflix, an indie game isn't going to sell if it's not part it or another service.

The video game industry doesn't have theatrical runs to build hype, everything is essentially straight to video, and I don't get the impression that a lot of people are buying / renting indie movies all that much compared to if the same movie was put on Netflix. There also isn't a influential video game award show that's gone out of it's way to highlight indie games as the best of the year. So I definitely get the concern if you're an indie dev, you basically live and die by getting a pitch meeting with one of these store front's to get marketing.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I think there's some valid concern, I would've never tried Boyfriend Dungeon if not for Gamepass. But it also leads me to tunnel vision, only focusing on games on the service and perhaps missing standard release titles.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen arguments that Game Pass actually helps those small studios, but the main point of the article seems to be about funding which while MS is not directly involved they have been funding multiple games from all sizes (like Tell Me Why and As Dusk Falls) so if something Game Pass should actually make Xbox fund all kind of games despite their first party studios.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Even with ID@Xbox and similar initiatives reaching out to small creators all around the globe, it's going to be inevitably difficult to be in a Netflix-style environment where you're competing for the publics attention in addition to making sure you're making a living. This has always been a cause for concern before Game Pass came to fruition. But now a whole other conversation is emerging because it genuinely looks like the industry is going to wholly embrace subscription-based gaming distribution.

Nov 2, 2019
The odd thing is, at least to me, is that I had never heard of Boyfriend Dungeon until it appeared on Game Pass and then downloaded, played it, and enjoyed it. If anything, the mega corporate structure of Xbox, Microsoft, and their billions in acquisitions of AAA games, allows MS to cut checks to smaller developers to diversify their offerings and give the more quirky games an audience and marketing on Game Pass that they would have never received otherwise.

Game Pass isn't also the be all and end all of small indie games being successful. It's just one of many. AAA games have been around forever and there's indies that outsell AAA games easily. Not every AAA game is a success and not indie is a success. Their premise is slightly confusing me. Unless I'm reading this wrong.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I'm honestly a bit puzzled by some of the responses in this article. I'm just not sure how Microsoft purchasing ABK moves this particular needle on its own. Call of Duty and other AAA games have always been holiday behemoths. That wouldn't have changed had ABK not been purchased.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's been noted that having your game on GamePass is an absolute boon for both sales and growing an audience base.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
But some of those developers are deeply concerned, for instance, that if the Microsoft-owned, Game Pass subscription service, increasingly becomes the only means through which many people access games, small studios could be left competing for funding and promotion via that platform.

If this is the actual premise, then I don't think they need to be concerned. MS is not even close to being the market leader, let alone "The only means throiugh which many people access games". Mobile is 100x the market size of Game Pass. Maybe 300x. Maybe if Microsfot buys Apple and Google, I'll be ready to entertain that kind of argument, but I don't see this being a concern in my lifetime.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I understand the concern. I personally don't think it'll impact indie games of that scale much either way to be honest - but I'm also not an indie game developer, so it doesn't much matter what I think about it suppose.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
But some of those developers are deeply concerned, for instance, that if the Microsoft-owned, Game Pass subscription service, increasingly becomes the only means through which many people access games, small studios could be left competing for funding and promotion via that platform.

If this is the actual premise, then I don't think they need to be concerned. MS is not even close to being the market leader, let alone "The only means throiugh which many people access games". Mobile is 100x the market size of Game Pass. Maybe 300x. Maybe if Microsfot buys Apple and Google, I'll be ready to entertain that kind of argument, but I don't see this being a concern in my lifetime.

This doesn't help if these devs aren't making mobile games though

But I think that while Steam exists people will be buying small games

That's an interesting point. Just on Era there's a number of comments saying "I'll wait until it hits Game Pass" whenever a new indie game is revealed. I know this is a bubble, but that attitude isn't very beneficial for developers.

Exactly. I get people love the service but indies deserve more than "I'll maybe give it a chance if it's free"

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
But this also makes some people ignore games not on GP, which is not healthy for the industry
Conversely, it encourages people to try indie games they might not that are on GP (thus them becoming a buyer of that studios' future games), but also allows them to spend the money they are saving with GP on other games.

I've actually spent more money on games (mostly indie titles), that I saved from not having to buy MS first party titles. Certainly, some people won't buy any additional games, but there is a strong likelihood those people weren't buying additional games outside of a main franchise anyway.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
somewhere on era someone says "ill wait for it to hit gamepass" as the devs concerns are dismissed

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
It's surprising how many people think MS will automatically becoming No. 1 now, it still has a long way to go before Xbox and Game Pass are the dominant platform.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I mean, is that attitude much different then saying "I'll wait for a sale"?
Yeah, that's just the nature of consumers expecting indies to be inherently cheap despite them often not being cheap to produce. It would be commercially unviable to sell an indie game for over $30, even if that offers developers a higher ratio of revenue. It's a tricky situation, but paradigmatic shifts in the industry are not without consequence. Also for Game Pass, you don't need to spend money on the game to play it, whereas sales are at least an individual transaction. Indies just have to hope Microsoft or Sony or Epic gives them a good paycheck to have it on their services for free and even that sometimes isn't enough. Game dev is expensive.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This doesn't help if these devs aren't making mobile games though

But I think that while Steam exists people will be buying small games

People buy tons of indie games on XBOX, PS5, and Switch as well. Death's Door did very well on XBOX, is my understanding, and then they also put it on Game Pass 6 months later. I know I bought it on there. There is never going to be a situation in which Game Pass is your only means for accessing games on XBOX or any other platform.
Regardless...Game Pass is only on the lowest selling console and PC (essentially). It's not even in the ballpark of being the only place that people can get games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's surprising how many people think MS will automatically becoming No. 1 now, it still has a long way to go before Xbox and Game Pass are the dominant platform.

What do you mean by becoming n 1? I don't think MS goal is to win a console war, but have a service everyone wants to use on devices they already have (phones, laptops, TVs...)

Sony and Nintendo aren't trying this at the moment

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Does she mean that Microsoft might spread out their increased newly purchased IPs through out the year, instead of their usual release windows, just to fill out Game Pass?

Yeah that can happen.
Yeah, that belief is confirmed in a later quote:

It makes sense, but it's not JUST about filling Game Pass. If MS has potentially, idk, 8 big releases in a year, they're going to want to space them out so they don't compete with each other. So Indies, even outside of Gamepass could be competing with large titles throughout the year. But, who knows, maybe that then makes the holiday season less competitive too. It's hard to tell what's going to happen, but I understand their unease about the situation.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm have bad news for them so, they definitely want to have the entire year full of releases. Although I don't think that's big problem because I think indies have the appeal of being indies. People don't need a drought of AAA games to buy and play indies.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
At the very least Xbox can't cut deals for every indie game and if Game Pass grows to the point it's the main way most people play games like Netflix, an indie game isn't going to sell if it's not part it or another service.

The video game industry doesn't have theatrical runs to build hype, everything is essentially straight to video, and I don't get the impression that a lot of people are buying / renting indie movies all that much compared to if the same movie was put on Netflix. There also isn't a influential video game award show that's gone out of it's way to highlight indie games as the best of the year. So I definitely get the concern if you're an indie dev, you basically live and die by getting a pitch meeting with one of these store front's to get marketing.

Great summary.

I'd also mention that at a certain point, things will flip from "MS needs your game on GP!" to "You need MS to let your game on GP!" and that is way easier for a big game dev/pub to deal with than a crowdfunded indie title. Reminds me of (kinda like you said) movies and music- at a certain point things flipped heavily towards digital and the benefits didn't exactly pour all over artists, it just added convenience for the consumer, who were blind to any of the downsides to artists.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
What do you mean by becoming n 1? I don't think MS goal is to win a console war, but have a service everyone wants to use on devices they already have (phones, laptops, TVs...)

Sony and Nintendo aren't trying this at the moment

Not No. 1 in hardware sales but the go to platform for gaming. So everyone gets their games through Game Pass.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Having a hard time wrapping my head around these concerns tbqgth
If most people only consumed games via GP, then it seems natural that devs and games would just follow suit?

Jan 29, 2018
The problem I found in this narrative is they seems to think the business somewhat dictates how consumer behaves, not the other way around. if a scenario of subscription service increasingly becomes the only means through which many people access games become reality, then that's only because the customer believe that is the better way for them, they have multiple options to consume the content and they collectively choose one of which, what's wrong with that?

I do think that businesses can influence consumer behavior though. Especially if the strategy right now is to keep the cost of Gamepass so low right now that it hardly makes sense from a consumer perspective to not subscribe, only to increase the price to profitable levels after games-by-subscription feels like the new normal.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting point. Just on Era there's a number of comments saying "I'll wait until it hits Game Pass" whenever a new indie game is revealed. I know this is a bubble, but that attitude isn't very beneficial for developers.

Honestly for me, that's because of the absolute flood of shovelware that comes out weekly from the indie scene. Boyfriend Dungeon was great, but if it wasn't on GP, I'm pretty sure I never would've touched it. Steam has a billion games with titles like that that are shit. The market is buried with that stuff.

I don't hear much criticism of these "games" from the people making the good ones, but maybe I'm also not looking in the right place for them

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Having a hard time wrapping my head around these concerns tbqgth
If most people only consumed games via GP, then it seems natural that devs and games would just follow suit?

And how a single company controlling this isn't concerning? lol

Indies are indies because they don't depend on big corps

Honestly for me, that's because of the absolute flood of shovelware that comes out weekly from the indie scene. Boyfriend Dungeon was great, but if it wasn't on GP, I'm pretty sure I never would've touched it. Steam has a billion games with titles like that that are shit. The market is buried with that stuff.

I don't hear much criticism of these "games" from the people making the good ones, but maybe I'm also not looking in the right place for them

That's why Steam reviews are great, traditional media doesn't cover indies unless they blow up like Undertale but every Steam game has reviews unless it's a very, very obscure title

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
If Game Pass is the only way people play games almost nothing will change for indie games.

Thousands of indie games come out every year and 99% of them dont recieve any media attention or promotion from platforms. This bleak landscape they are talking about is already happening but they dont care because they are in the 1% that is getting media attention and platform deals at this time.

Look at the games nominated for best indie at this years TGAs. 3 of them are published by the billion dollar company Devolver, one is publisher by Annapurna a media company that's makes hundreds of millions and the last nominee got platform deals and marketing from Sony and Epic.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I could see us getting to a point where and he does get a pittance per download. It might happen, it might not, but it's easy enough to imagine.