• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I was already hyped over Obsidian doing a Skyrim-style game, but doing it in the PoE universe is icing on the cake.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Given the trailer and narration, I will make an educated guess and say this will be a prequel set in Aedyr in which the first animancy experiments spiral out of control, creating the undead shown in the trailer.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally! At least I don't have to feel like shit after TES VI turns out to be even further washed out and streamlined with writing straight from the hands of a 13-years old boy.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Really really pumped to see Obsidian take a crack at this style of RPG with real AAA funding behind their back via Microsoft.

New Vegas was great but obviously suffered from technical issues and Outer Worlds really showed it's smaller budget.

It being set in the Pillars universe which is already pretty rich is just icing on the cake.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm sorry to see Pillars proper isometric probably go to the wayside, but so glad the world and setting are living on.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Obsidian was a great get! Looks really promising, and good to know about a next-gen exclusive game. Guess it is at least 2 years away

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Really enjoyed the way they presented the magic in this trailer - I hope the gameplay keeps not only the sigil/rune work but that shweeeeeeet fuckin flame effect must be in this game. So gud...

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the game IS being pitched as cross-gen, I'd like to take the time to remind everyone how Cross-gen worked last generation. For example:

Titanfall: Respawn made the XBO version, and contracted Bluepoint to figure out a way to make it work on X360.

Forza Horizon 2: Playground made the game, and contracted Sumo Digital to find a way to make it work on X360.

Shadow of Mordor: The game came out a month and a half later on last-gen, and when it did, it launched without the Nemesis system, because Monolith realized they couldn't make their vision for the game work on last-gen.

Dying Light: WB eventually canceled the 360 and PS3 versions when they realized it couldn't work on last gen. The developers will make their games the way they want to make them, with Series X/S in mind, and THEN some poor soul of a development studio will find a way to get it on last gen, even if it looks a little bit like trash.

Even if a game is targeting cross-gen, everything we learned from last generation says that it won't be the Series X version that gets compromised, it'll be the Xbox One version, if it comes out at all. There is little to no evidence to suggest that the next gen versions of these games will look worse or be reduced in scope just because they want the game to also exist on last-gen hardware.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
This looks cool. I'm here for it. This and Stalker 2 were the high points of the show for me. And Fable could be cool when we see anything.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly curious to see what Obsidian can do with Microsoft's money. Pillars and The Outer Worlds were fine but felt rushed and incomplete. Especially Pillars 2, the main story was basically an after thought.

Can't say I care much about the lore of Pillars of Eternity. I played both games to completion and can barely remember a thing about the world and story.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Is Avowed a 1st-person dungeon crawler RPG?

Looks like a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld. Not many 1st-person dungeon crawlers made like Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which is a great thing to see.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Is Avowed a 1st-person dungeon crawler RPG?

Looks like a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld. Not many 1st-person dungeon crawlers made like Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which is a great thing to see.

That'd be sweet as hell, but I think it's best to assume it's going to be more of an Elder Scrolls style game.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
I'm super excited for this. I really hope this is the huge success that Obsidian deserves. Too bad its a ways off though.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sawyer confirmed to not be working on the game:

Unfortunate, but understandable. Sawyer gave a lot of years to Pillars already and got close to burning out it seems. He's a really creative guy so let him work on some smaller passion projects for a time. He had more than a few really cool ideas he's talked about before.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
So is it AAA or triple AAA like their fallout killer? If so, thats more AA. Except for the cinema trailer, I need to see more.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the trailer and narration, I will make an educated guess and say this will be a prequel set in Aedyr in which the first animancy experiments spiral out of control, creating the undead shown in the trailer.

Oh shit, that's a really good guess. I'm usually not a fan of prequels, but the PoE lore is so interesting that it bypasses my prequel qualms.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I guess that's their take on Elder Scrolls the same way Outer Worlds was their take on Fallout? All indications are that they'll be more ambitious than they were with Outer Worlds thanks to the MS backing, but I'm cautiously optimistic until we see gameplay or hear more specifics. Still at least it's a setting and style that interests me

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Hype is definitely deflated a bit if this is cross gen. Was looking forward to Obsidian really being able to flex their systems/reactivity chops with the new CPU & SSD.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda weird to me that people take threads like these as opportunity to air the good old "Morrowind was the last good TES game" which I've seen repeated for the sake of it for well over a decade.

I'm just glad we get another high profile game in this genre.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
It's kinda weird to me that people take threads like these as opportunity to air the good old "Morrowind was the last good TES game" which I've seen repeated for the sake of it for well over a decade.

It really is just stupid, we've seen essentially nothing and after Outer Worlds I don't exactly have an abundance of confidence in Obsidian to pull off something as ambitious as a TES game. I really wouldn't mind if this were some sort of dungeon crawler actually.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

That's the really baffling thing to me. TES is such a popular IP ... but no one even dares trying to copy it? Like why?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Just a heads up, while I liked both of them the first one is the weaker of the two, so if you ain't liking the first one skip it and go to the second. It's superior in every way IMO.
Understood!

You're in for a treat, they're fantastic games with an amazing world. Just take your time and really immerse yourself in the world and characters.
That was my plan! I've read lots of reviews about the first two games and everyone always praised the world and setting as extremely interesting. So I plan to take it slow and go through and take everything in.

same

Nov 2, 2019
I am 100% behind Obsidian becoming Xbox's own Bethesda Game Studio. One, they don't take a fucking decade+ to make a game, plus they're better written and have less bugs.

It still baffles me that Skyrim will be 10 years old next year and the next Elder Scrolls game, Bethesda's flagship series, will still be years away.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At most, he probably gave them the equivalent to the setting Bible, as well as telling them stuff about it and whether it fits within his established canon, or if he cares if they deviate a little from it.

As the design director for the studio I assume he's happy to give feedback or help with lore where needed. He's invested in the game being as good as it can be, and that includes making sure it won't throw us lore nerds into a tizzy.