rude

Oct 25, 2017
Is the ICONIC Annie next y'all?

annie1.jpg

The character may not be outright racist, but you KNOW there's a hint of mammy here too. I'm gonna miss her.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
yeah but it doesn't come in a bottle that you can microwave, so take that

Sure it does. Usually sold in a glass or plastic bottle. Do they sell it in aluminum cans or something where you are from?

My father-in-law has his own sugar shack but real maple syrup is so boring. It's basically brown sugar water. Give me my corn syrup and fenugreek thank you very much.

Sorry to break it to you but your father-in-law is obviously doing something wrong if it tastes like sugar water.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Can't wait to see lots of "ruined childhood" post by Karens everywhere that they can't buy products with racist caricatures anymore.

What other products exist out there that desperately need a rebrand? Obviously in sports the Cleverland Indians and the Washington football team need a name change badly.

Tons of high school and college teams, mascots, and logos.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Time to rebrand Aunt Jemima to Madame J, an activist/abolitionist who runs a food truck and DJ's on the side.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Holy crap, it never occurred to me that a product people are talking fondly about could be some corn syrup stuff. Genuinely surprised tbh, but I'm pretty ignorant, I was also blown away when someone mentioned "real honey", and I had to learn about fake honey.

Last time I went to Texas, I went to a restaurant before going to the airport to go back home and thought I'd try the famous pancakes. Like stacks like in the movies. So they arrived, I was extremely happy. Then I realized they gave me corn syrup. It's a new normal even here in Canada, some cheap ass restaurants do that. But when you ask for maple syrup they bring it to you. My waitress argued that it was maple syrup :(

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Never gave much thought to it when I was a kid, but I've been using maple syrup for a few years now, and I buy the store brand pancake mix.

I don't think they should try to rebrand the character or shorten it or anything like that, just remake the whole brand from scratch. Keep the same recipes, of course, just under a completely new name. Their marketing people will have to figure out how to make the transition for people that don't read the news.

As for the people who will inevitably flip their shit... well, it'll be a fun show, I guess.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that would seem extremely counter productive.

"No black woman with a southern accent can represent our brand"
Agreed, it needs to be judged on a case by case basis like the Land o' Lakes native, you can't just axe all the minorities who worked to find their place in the white man's world.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Huh, I never knew about the racist origins of this brand growing up.

I guess it makes sense, though, since her design changed a few years before I was born to look more contemporary.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Real maple syrup only. The "Table syrup" people here need to ditch that stuff from their life. No need for a bottle of HFCS water.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Didn't know the history of it myself, went and looked on Wikipedia. One sentence in under "History" and that was enough.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So I looked this brand up on Wikipedia, since this was the first time I heard about them and ...

JemimasWeddingDay.jpg

this fucking racist caricature served as the inspiration for this branding? No one in the 131 years between then thought that maybe they should retire the name and never speak about it again?

Sheesh, America. TIL that even a fucking syrup bottle can be monstrously racist in the US.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why people buy pancake syrup instead of real Maple syrup. It's cheaper and you might just prefer it.

But I don't understand buying pancake mix. It's literally just flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. It takes literally no time to measure out that stuff yourself and it tends to taste better.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hell kind of syrup are you buying? Is it imported from the moon or something? Yeah, it's more expensive, but by a percentage. The bottles I buy are maybe three or four dollars each.
Costco syrup is solid and cheapish. You get a quart for like $12. I don't know what size syrup you're getting for $4 but it's probably small or you're in Vermont.

Oct 27, 2017
I understand why people buy pancake syrup instead of real Maple syrup. It's cheaper and you might just prefer it.

But I don't understand buying pancake mix. It's literally just flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. It takes literally no time to measure out that stuff yourself and it tends to taste better.
i mean, it's purely about simplicity, even if it's a simplification of something already simple. people love having things combined and premeasured and premixed for themselves. and i can guarantee you quite a few people out there don't know that they can easily make it otherwise.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

I mean... it isn't literally zero time so it shouldn't be hard to understand. Some people don't care about a dip in quality if you streamline the process and take out multiple steps.

Oct 27, 2017
The hell kind of syrup are you buying? Is it imported from the moon or something? Yeah, it's more expensive, but by a percentage. The bottles I buy are maybe three or four dollars each.
Here, a 24 fl. oz. bottle of Aunt Jemima is $3.49 at Fred Meyer, while a 32 fl. oz bottle of Spring Tree Pure Maple is $18.99. The cheapest bottle of the real stuff is a store brand that's $8.99 for a 12.5 fl. oz. bottle.
It's an order of magnitude more expensive.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
First the leftists came for the lawn ornaments,
but I did not speak out
because I am not a lawn ornament

Then the leftists came for the confederate statues
but I did not speak out
because I am not a confederate statue

Then the leftists came for the pancake syrup mascots
but I did not speak out
because I am not a pancake syrup mascot

And then the leftists came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
I hope they make it obvious to whatever it's changed too in case I miss the re-branding I love that pancake mix and syrup it's so good.
Love that pancake mix as well, and agreed about the rebranding. At the very minimum, they should keep the color of the box/label red. They could rename it to be whatever, but as long as the box/label is red, most people probably wouldn't have a problem finding the mix and/or syrup.

Maybe they could change it to "Mrs.J" or Ms. J, and obviously change the look of her to be a non caricature look.
I'd be fine with that.