hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I don't understand all the complaining. The main aim of the rebrand was to get rid of all the potentially problematic elements that's why "Aunt", "Jemima" and the picture of the black woman all had to go. Replacing the black woman with another "mascot" could also have been seen as problematic.

The new names aims to keep the old-timely branding without resorting to racist imagery and has actual ties to the company history. Seems fine to me.

Aya

Pearl Milling Company Pancake Syrup sounds like something you'd buy by mail-order catalog in 1911 or some shit.

That's because: "Pearl Milling Company was founded in 1888 in St. Joseph, Missouri and it created the self-rising pancake mix that became known as AJ."

So they reverted to the original company name. Not a glamorous name, sounds a tad industrial. Yummy

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a name that was heavily put through market research and lawyers to come up with a name that would not cause trouble. At least you can still tell what it is due to the color scheme.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I can't shake how reminiscent this is of Into The Spider-Verse and other sci-fi stories about alternate realities where all the brands you know exist but with like 1 noteworthy difference to them such as the name or mascot. Like they they are even using the same font for the new brand name. Everything about this feels way too safe, like they are ultra pranoid about losing any business due to the branding change. They even keep the old logo right on the front to let people know it's still Aunt Jemima. Would have applauded a bolder more inspired redesign.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
We had this candy called N*****s Kiss, and basically all liquorice candy was branded like this. We also used to have a childrens game at gym class in elementary school called "who's afraid of the black man" where one was black, and everybody was supposed to run away from him/her, and if you were caught, you turned black too.

These were re-branded years ago, but still people use these as examples of "SJW-bullshit"

Very very fucked up.

4790ddfc5891f1d91fb3d595bbce64bf--haku.jpg

C3hqKxhWEAAFm35.jpg
Yeah, we used to have this kinda stuff in Denmark too. Luckily I don't hear a lot of people complaining about the name being gone anymore. Though we did just have some people being upset that Eskimo icecream is getting renamed.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
That's an awesome name. Wtf are you all complaining about? It's old timey as shit and it makes me think damn this goes back so this shit must be good

Aunt jemima makes me think some dumbass white person really slapped a black person as a logo to make me think it's good

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Pearl's Pancakes sounds pretty good and rolls out the tongue easily, they couldnt think of a name like that?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't understand all the complaining. The main aim of the rebrand was to get rid of all the potentially problematic elements that's why "Aunt", "Jemima" and the picture of the black woman all had to go. Replacing the black woman with another "mascot" could also have been seen as problematic.

The new names aims to keep the old-timely branding without resorting to racist imagery and has actual ties to the company history. Seems fine to me.

they have to remove the 'tastes like the aunt jemima' bit tho... but rascism wasn't built in a day.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Wow, right wing t-shirts ads on the front page of this forum. How interesting, Google or whomever is responsible.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
General Mills used be called the Minneapolis Milling Company before they were acquired and went through phases. Which one rolls off the tongue more and is easier to market? This branding is just confusing and then they put they go and put a building on the front as a logo? Because that's what I want to think of when I'm eating my pancakes: industrialized labor of the 1800s-1900s. Pearl Mills Pancake Syrup. Boom. It's simple. You're done.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Rebrand looks like it's not gonna go well

they fucked up

make a new mascot or something

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The team for the rebranding really just did the least amount of work possible here. Might as well just called it "pancake mix" and be done with it

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bad rebrand but they're lucky that the packaging colour scheme and bottle shape are iconic enough that it may not impact anything. It's good they didn't pull a tropicana and replace everything, Just went from one name to this awful one.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Why would any of you care about how marketable this is? Are we all share holders in here?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Their website is still there and nothing looks rebranded? I don't buy juice anymore so this is news to me.

It's one of the more widely-known rebranding failures.
They went from the classic design with color-coded caps to a generic design with 3D orange caps and a colored label.
less-is-more-images-tsdjtp.jpg

8f0506fa-fad6-4797-bdwpkmz.jpg

They did a complete 180° on the rebrand after losing ~$33M in two months.
I should add that my posts are not a comment on this re-brand, just that focus-tested rebrandings are not always successful, as implied by DeathbyVolcano.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why buy GME stonks when the easiest way to make money is to start a shitty rebranding company.

Bengraven