Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
This is the second piece in Mama Robotnik's Sega Obscura ResetEra Series:

Sega Obscura 1 - The Sega Saturn was the best console EVER for…
Sega Obscura 2 - Sonic 1 (8-bit) is a better game than Sonic 1 (16-bit)
Sega Obscura 3 - The first "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" released hates Sonic, and hates us all
Sega Obscura 4 - The Eleven SEGA "Zeldas"
Sega Obscura 5 - The extraordinary Sega game that played the player
Sega Obscura 6 - The ambitious Sonic game from 2009 that you will never, ever get to play
Sega Obscura 7 - When Sega took on Zelda, they really went for the jugular
Sega Obscura 8 - The most consistent sequence of fuckups in the entirety of the history of video games

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Master System came out five months after the Mega Drive/Genesis original. Developed by The Ancient Corp, the game took inspiration from its 16-bit counterpart but also did a number of things quite differently.

My personal view – The Ancient Corp produced a game that I prefer to the original. I know this is definitely a view not generally accepted. So, I'm going to evidence my reasoning, through the mediums of words and GIFs.

Platforming Paradise

Z0xZY17.gif

Sonic 8-bit is designed differently to its 16-bit equivalent. There's less speed and bouncing through multiple routes, and instead more focus on jumping and platforming. This Mario-like approach really appeals to me – the game demands precision and patience from the player, in a way atypical for the franchise.

Simply put, the gameplay and level design really stands out for me.

Altered Acts

ANmwJV7.gif

Sonic 8-bit is determined to extract the maximum potential from its zones, in a way distinct from the 16-bit game. The second act of Green Hill Zone shakes things up by taking the player into the flooded caverns beneath the green garden. The second act of Jungle Zone is an ascent to the top of a colossal waterfall. The second act of Scrap Brain takes place in a puzzle of teleportation devices. All three acts of the Sky Base have completely different tilesets and approaches.

While the 16-bit game has two really great zones – Green Hill and Star Light – I find the rest meandering compared to the more focussed entries on the Master System.

Brutal Bosses

ULKLBGN.gif

Sonic 8-bit doesn't give you rings for the boss acts. There's no room for error – simply throwing yourself at Doctor Robotnik expecting protection from rings will get you killed.

The player must apply themselves – they must patiently study the boss patterns, and attack at the right moment. This might not appeal to the pace expected by most Sonic fans - but they worked really well for me.

Emerald Exploration

0dk9Joy.gif

Sonic 8-bit does something different with its six Chaos Emeralds. They are hidden in the levels, and sometimes require patient exploration to track down. The game expects you to use those oft-forgotten features - looking up and looking down – to spot these secrets. A few of their hiding places: a low cliff below a bridge, a rocky hole found by navigating backwards through the waters beneath the jungle level, within a spike pit, in a secret chamber in Doctor Robotnik's teleportation maze, and at the bow of a great airship.

Each act also contains a single extra life, also hidden in a tricky place. The game goads you to explore each and every level for secrets, in a way that its 16-bit counterpart does not.

B7POUKX.gif

This focus on exploration finds a place even in the fast and bouncy bonus stages. The player has limited time in this surreal realm, and if they don't get to the end of the area, they lose all that they had gained. Each has a Continue monitor – finding this often takes the player on a diversion away from the goal – forcing risky exploration that Sonic might not return from before the countdown exhuasts itself.

Joined Journey

mifJ3Au.gif

Sonic 8-bit provides a world map, an unexpected feature which contextualises the adventure. Where the 16-bit game provides a selection of disjointed, disconnected zones, the Master System version of the game takes us on a joined journey.

Towards the end of the Green Hill Zone, Sonic ascends a literal hill. From its top, his journey across the great bridges (Bridge Zone) begins. The hedgehog journeys alongside the rapid rivers leading to the great river jungle (Jungle Zone). We then climb a great waterfall with stone blocks, hinting at a structure within the mountain. The top of the waterfall takes us into an ancient ruin (Labyrinth Zone). While the waters within are clear, the flows from above are green and polluted. Breaching the top of the ruins takes us to the lair of the island's defiler, the monstrous Doctor Robotnik and his Scrap Brain Zone,

Which leads us to…

Epic Endgame

Sonic 8-bit tells the complete story of Sonic 1. On the Mega Drive/Genesis, the game ends as Doctor Robotnik is defeated in the Scrap Brain Zone.

4BLl1We.gif

Here, something very different happens. The evil Doctor flees the facility, revealing the means by which he assaulted the island – the formidable Sky Base Zone. The airship is suspended in a storm, protected from infiltration by an enormous electrical array. Behind the lightning field is the vessel itself, a battery of weapons and war. At its heart, the sanctum of the villain, an electrical nightmare chamber.

This feels like the bombastic endgame that the 16-bit game lacks. The final levels are exciting, with new dangers, peril and all the while supported with spectacular, spectacular music. Sonic 8-bit ends by throwing the best the game has to offer at us.

Resounding Restoration

Sonic 8-bit gives us something lacking on the Mega Drive/Genesis – an actual meaningful ending.

uPAFRZg.gif

With the six Chaos Emeralds collected, Sonic releases them into the skies. The artifacts spin around the island, their mysterious powers cleansing the place of Robotnik's evil taint. His factory is erased and the pollutants cleansed. The world map – our companion between every level – is employed to show the value of our victory.

Never again was Sonic able to so totally eradicate Robotnik's evil.

Forgotten Forefather

Sonic 8-bit is often overlooked for the impact it had on the franchise. The game gave us much:

-The airship trope

-Access to the chaos emeralds through secrets within levels

-Zones connected by a loose narrative

-Distinct visual and gameplay differences between act 1/act 2

Conclusion

I love Sonic 8-bit. The game has always been in the shadow of its more popular, more recognisable 16-bit brother. But it absolutely deserves its moment in the spotlight, for being an exciting and very well-designed platformer. I prefer it to the Mega Drive/Genesis version, and while most might disagree, I hope the above illustrates just where I'm coming from.

What a great game!

Acknowledgements

The GIFs use footage from these videos: 1, 2, and 3.

Last edited:

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I seem to remember UK magazine Sega Pro claiming they preferred the Master System version of Sonic to the Mega Drive version at the time.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
At last, someone else who supports my long held belief!

I think the thing is for me, is that Sonic 1 Mega Drive swiftly turns into a slow paced platformer the moment you leave Green Hill Zone which is when Sonic 1 MS can swoop in and reveal its more pleasing character control for that focus and often having better platforming challenges to boot.
Throw in that Koshiro OST and you got a stew going.

The autoscroller bridge stage still feels more speedy than all of marble zone, damn does marble zone suck.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Having not played the Game Gear game enough to beat it, I gotta say you make some fair points OP.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually find the arguments about the joined map compelling, as well as the stronger ending to the story in StH 8-Bit.

I don't think I agree because what I like about Sonic (low-middle-high exploration in a level and branching paths that create level replayability) is missing in StH 8-Bit, and the platforming that replaces it isn't very fun because typical platforming isn't fun with Sonic's jump physics. The thing that makes Sonic's physics work is that you're having to control him coming off lips and shooting up ramps. When you're just making regular-ass jumps like in Mario, the physics make it less fun.

But I do see where you're coming from, OP.

EDIT: I also LOVE Sonic 1's Special Zones. The swinging perspective and having to control Sonic within that moving maze was really fun to me. I don't think that replacing them by scattering the chaos emeralds within the level and then having a different special level with a continue monitor in it is, for me, a great exchange.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8-bit Sonic doesn't have the signature Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic physics that are a big part of what makes those games so amazing.

That said, 8-bit Sonic 1 is still massively underrated (as Master System and Game Gear classics usually are). It's one of the better 8-bit platformers and holds up really well today.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I fully agree. I have many fond memories of Master System Sonic but not so much the Mega Drive one.
Just looking at those gifs: <3
I always found the levels of the 16 bit Sonics too cluttered.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I never even knew this 8bit version of Sonic existed.

Damn, now I need to try it.

Edit: I did play Sonic 2 on Game Gear though (complete with all the hang-gliding), so I guess this is similar?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I definitely don't agree, but you make a damn good argument. Part of my disgreement also comes from only having played the game gear version, so I only had enough battery life for 1-2 zones.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I preferred the Game Gear version to the Genesis version, but I only owned a GG. Only played the Genesis version at a friend's place, but I did like the extra focus on platforming more on the GG.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I kinda feel like the 8-Bit version is an infinitely better paced game with a more sensible difficulty curve. And unlike the following Game Gear titles that try to ape the Genesis physics and fail to various degrees*, Sonic 1 stays in it's lane and remains a no frills platformer through and through.

Also, Sky Base > Genesis Scrap Brain. The latter has way too many "GOTCHA BITCH" traps for my liking.

*I will defend Triple Trouble to the death, though

I usually find posts like this kinda assholish, but fuck if this didn't get a chuckle out of me.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I would probably agree. I honestly hate Sonic 1 while loving 2, 3, and knuckles so it wouldn't surprise me if the first 8-bit game was better. I've played through the first few levels of it but never tried to go farther.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes, OP, I feel you're right. At first I thought it was nostalgia goggles speaking, since I played the SMS version way more when I was young, but nope. After replaying both, I also feel the SMS version is the better one.

It's strange, but the console limitations ended being a good thing in some ways - the exploration is way better - but also, I feel the level design is way, way better in most cases, and the level/world quality is way more even than on the Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog.

Virtua King

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Nah, I think at best Sonic 1 MS is an ok experience while the real Sonic 1 is one of the best platformers ever made. I do like Bridge Zone's theme though.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I actively hated Sonic 1 on Game Gear.

Largely in part because we never had a Mega Drive and therefore couldn't play THE REAL PROPER FULL-FAT NON-POVERTY Sonic 1.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
It's a very good game and a technical marvel for the Master System, but...

The first Mega Drive game is a masterpiece with few rivals in all of platforming imo.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Is it better than Sonic 2 Game Gear? Because that game frustrated me to no end.

OPfyOPq.gif

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming the Master System version is better due to screen resolution?
There are a number of level design/item differences between the two but I doubt they would heavily sway someone in one direction or another. I prefer the SMS version due to being able to see more of the screen. And GG Sonic 1's character design looks off.

Is it better than Sonic 2 Game Gear? Because that game frustrated me to no end.

OPfyOPq.gif

GG Sonic 2 suffers a lot from screen cropping. SMS Sonic 2 lets you see more of what's going on so it feels more fair. Sonic 1's less frustrating either way.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I disagree with the idea that it's better than Sonic 1 16-bit, but it's a fine game in its own right and has aged surprisingly well. I think it's better than its own sequel, for starters.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
^ ooooh, nice pyro

---

Sonic 2 MS/GG is TRASH, even beyond the screen issues of the GG version turning the first boss into a complete nightmare.
You got them hang gliders, you got that spikes galore and you got TUUUUUUBES.

Sonic 1 MS is a much grander product in every possible way.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I love the MS Sonic 1, especially the music. But you keep talking about pace, speed, no patience etc of 'Sonic fans' and 'of Sonic 1 on Genesis'.. but that isn't the case at all? It's every bit a slow paced, intricate platformer as the MS title is..

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I played the Game Gear one all the time. Didn't play the first one until the collection on the GameCube.

I liked it myself. It's different which makes me want to play it again. Too bad our gamegear got stolen back in 2000 in a move (That Sonic was inside it...). I did find a baseball gamegear game when I moved 3 years back lol.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's quite underappreciated, but I think it's not better than the game it's based on.

Also, if you know what you're doing, Marble is actually a pretty breezy stage, just one that ups the risks for making mistakes in the process a lot over the level preceding it. I actually think Spring Yard is a much rougher and slower stage despite being built a lot more around Sonic's specific behavior and controls.

Oct 25, 2017
You keep talking about pace, speed, no patience etc of 'Sonic fans' and 'of Sonic 1 on Genesis'.. but that isn't the case at all? It's every bit a slow paced, intricate platformer as the MS title is..

I think (and to be fair, I haven't played 8-bit nearly as recently as I've played 16-bit because I bought 16-bit on Switch a few weeks ago), Sonic 1 has speed-based ramps, loops, and lips, and 8-bit doesn't really do that much, if at all. HOWEVER, I do also think that people overstate how much of Sonic's 16-bit games in general are just speed, speed, speed. In Sonic 1 (and 2), the games are very deliberate about forcing you to slow down and pick your way through an area via platforming or finding the right paths to stay above water or spikes. Sometimes, the games even just stuck you in a small space where you had limited movement and forced you to cope with dodging enemies or projectiles.

The straightaways that were there were a) a reward for getting through the slower, stickier bits, and b) a way to induce platforming by launching you into the air and having you suddenly see platforms or monitors or ledges way high up in the air and forcing you to adjust your arc on the fly to land on them. They're the most exhilarating part of the game, so I feel like we have an outsized memory of them when we talk about those gammes.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Also worth pointing out, lots of the stages (including the world map itself) and the credits music, with sonic leading a band, probably come from the fact that sonic 1 SMS was based off of the design documents and initial plans for Sonic 1 rather than attempting to emulate 1:1 the Mega Drive/Genesis game. From that perspective, it becomes a very interesting piece of history.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The MS/GG games are underappreciated I'll give you that, and the soundtrack of S1 is great in its own right, but no it isn't better. The physics alone are so far behind the Mega Drive games without considering the slowdown and level design that forces blind jumps of faith.