Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm level 300 and I'm ready to head into Suthsexe as its the region with the lowest level right now and I've been doing them in that order. But it looks like I'll be calling upon my alliances? I want to get the best ending possible. Should I make more alliances first in Northumbria for instance or does it not really matter?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I got this game for free with my MSI motherboard! Though I'm going to wait until I finish Syndicate AND my 1440p monitor arrives before playing it.

Is it relatively bug free? Does it perform well on PC?

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Erm,
There's a very good reason for why they look (and sound) like they do. You probably noticed something with Tyr, draw you conclusions from that.

It will take some time until you get it for Thor, but Loki should be pretty obvious.
I'll be honest,
the Loki thing completely went over my head. I made the connection with Odin and Tyr, but hadn't noticed Loki yet.
:lol

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I finished Oxenfordeshire last. I hear I am like 25% done lol

Went over to Asgard for a bit.

I love the game but I might be getting to the point where I drop it for a bit. These new AC games are not meant to be rushed IMO or the fatigue will set in. I don't think it is a negative point for the game since not rushing something is a perfectly good way to play.

My big complaint about these AC games is that the feel too mechanical and missing a lot of the nuances that make a lot of the aspects of the game better in something like Ghost of Tsushima. I think overall the AC game are better than Ghost but combat, movement, NPCs and such feel more real and alive there. I wish AC games would take that step to be better.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So I'm level 300 and I'm ready to head into Suthsexe as its the region with the lowest level right now and I've been doing them in that order. But it looks like I'll be calling upon my alliances? I want to get the best ending possible. Should I make more alliances first in Northumbria for instance or does it not really matter?

Suthsexe isn't even close to the end lol. Just do suthsexe and knock that part of the story out

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
The Ivarr and Ceobert storyline is the best so far. I'm really liking most of the side characters this time around. Feels like Black Flag in a way.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
You're not at the end yet lmao. I thought the same thing too, but you've still got another three regions to go after that.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck that fucking awful buggy Fenrir fight that I only managed to beat because the boss clipped out of the arena in just the right way (read: into the air, as opposed to under the ground)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that fucking awful buggy Fenrir fight that I only managed to beat because the boss clipped out of the arena in just the right way (read: into the air, as opposed to under the ground)
I had to reload the fight three times because he glitched underground twice in a row. Like, even during normal combat that thing looks glitchy as shit. I encountered more glitches in Jotunheim than anywhere else in the game. I know they were in a rush to release the game in time for Christmas, but any game this big needs a ton of time for bug squashing.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I had to reload the fight three times because he glitched underground twice in a row. Like, even during normal combat that thing looks glitchy as shit.

Right? I locked my FPS to 30 thinking it might be an animation bug, but nope, still the jankiest thing I've seen in 80+ hours of playing this game.

The final binding was funny (and tense) as hell given that I wasn't sure that it'd give me the prompt since he was floating in the air. Even then, it didn't even play the animation, just popped a "quest complete" and sent me onto to Tyr.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Uhh.. so is it bad that I chose to kill
Dag?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Nah. I did too. Fuck that guy. I did let him have his axe, though.

Okay cool. I thought Randvi was gonna get mad at me and abandon me there, but we still seem to be good. Everyone else seems mega pissed though, even though he challenged me in front of everyone lol.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
I'm done with this bullshit mess of a game for a long while.

Loaded up the game and decided to knock out a bunch of the order to get them out of the way. Cleaned up the left vertical column, the revealed big one after that, then the three available on the right vertical column. After those, I started on the left side, fast traveled and my game crashed. Loaded it back up and I'm concerned because it loaded me into Essexe. I recognize the area from the last region quest line I already completed. I'm equipped with different weapons and sure enough, I check the quest log, and it is one of the first quests for that region.

No problem, I'll load the right save manually because clearly the game just chose the wrong one. What's this? The last two autosaves recorded right there, time stamped today? Ok, I'll just scrap my progress from the order kills I did this play session. What's this? The only autosaves available now are from that point in Essexe and earlier? What...the...fuck...

The game overwrote all the progress I had made today, and the last several hours of progress from the last play session. The save I loaded successfully this morning is gone and the only available saves are from 3+ hours of gametime ago. And lets just say the Essexe's arch is not exactly this games finest hour (several hours)...

And to top it off, these Order assassin missions are pure trash. Go here and pick up a "clue", go here for another, mark target on map, walk up to them and click a button. That is not gameplay. No stealth needed. No approach. Nothing clever or requiring any thought. Literally walk up to what is essentially a random NPC and click the kill button. So much of this game is just wasting time. And from what I hear on this forum, you need to do all these assassinations to get the full ending or something? Fuck that.

And this game has high-mid 80s on opencritic? Not only do I not believe 90%+ of reviewers played through enough to see the ending(s), the majority of reviews are simply not critical of the game, and if something is criticized, it is a bullet point at best. The sound mix is the worst I've heard in a 'AAA' game. The cutscene direction is at best C tier. The bloat with regards to content is comical. The generic order assassination missions are lazy at best and an insult to the franchise.

The save loss is the straw for me. I want to finish the game because I bought the damn thing and hear some cool stuff happens in modern day, but this is the first purchase in a long time I truly am regretting. /rant
This exact same save bug happened to me! I was going to play and my autosaves and manual saves were from like 10 hours earlier. Basically I'm done and not replaying all of that game play. Super frustrating!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't played this yet, and currently don't plan on buying it anytime soon, but I wanted to drop in and say that the music is fucking amazing. :O

Been listening on spotify for awhile now and it's just so good.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, I finished the 'main?' story, but only part 1 of the side area, and I haven't done the last territory in England yet.

I've heard people say that last territory is dumb/disappointing. Should I bother doing it? Is the rest of the side-area story worth doing?

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Suthsexe isn't even close to the end lol. Just do suthsexe and knock that part of the story out
I just finished that part last night, and then two more regions opened up, Glowecestrescire and Eurviscire. I thought those regions would build upon what happened in Suthsexe but no,
your blacksmith is looking for love, and another war in the north.
WTF? Way to lose the momentum.

Still can't pledge to Hamtunscire, I'm hoping the main quest there will wrap things up.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I just finished that part last night, and then two more regions opened up, Glowecestrescire and Eurviscire. I thought those regions would build upon what happened in Suthsexe but no,

Still can't pledge to Hamtunscire, I'm hoping the main quest there will wrap things up.

Yea very strange how they pivot the storyline. I am enjoying it though, not sure if I'm going to be able to beat it before cyberpunk

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle

I honestly found that quest and halloween super super fun tbh

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Finished this game yesterday. I really enjoyed it. The variation in the different region missions was well done. To me, this game feels like what a modern Ultima could have been. I get some Ultima VII vibes from the environments, the decisionmaking, and the janky bugs (all traits of the Ultima series). I wish there was more of a difference in picking different traits and gear, and maybe that will get tweaked later on, but overall a great experience. I personally liked how long of a game it was. Can't wait to hopefully travel to France in dlc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Enjoying the game, but I feel like the sound design and combat audio is poorly mixed and balanced. Coming off of Demon's Souls and Miles Morales, comparatively speaking in Valhalla the slashes, blows, parries and hits just don't sound nearly as impactful, consistent or visceral.

It's almost like sometimes the sound effects don't always register properly, or don't sound loud enough vs other sound effects or something.

I also feel that attacks in general sometimes don't register properly when you're breaking crates, pots, pans etc. There are times you can be slashing something directly In-front of your character, but it will simply refuse to break or register contact.

Anyone else get these issues?

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though the Order of the Ancients feel kind of tacked on in this game and just seem to be...there for the most part, I do like how each member has a little cutscene when you assassinate them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Though the Order of the Ancients feel kind of tacked on in this game and just seem to be...there for the most part
I feel the same way about the parkour, viewpoints, and the assassinations themselves in this case. This just feels like an open-world game where they slapped a few extra trappings on so they could call it an Assassin's Creed game.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Though the Order of the Ancients feel kind of tacked on in this game and just seem to be...there for the most part, I do like how each member has a little cutscene when you assassinate them.

It was tacked in......till I realized if you complete that after finishing the main game. You get the closure of the final area......it's a very very bad design decision.

I just did it. Vinland was cool and tied into another AC game.....you'll find out real fast which one.

So in order to fully close the door on the story you basically have to 100% all 3 storylines.

mythical, order and Eivors

Casual players may finish Eivors story but if they don't finish the order they are going to feel real salty how pacifying England feels.

it makes A LOT more sense now that I finished the order

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Enjoying the game, but I feel like the sound design and combat audio is poorly mixed and balanced. Coming off of Demon's Souls and Miles Morales, comparatively speaking in Valhalla the slashes, blows, parries and hits just don't sound nearly as impactful, consistent or visceral.

It's almost like sometimes the sound effects don't always register properly, or don't sound loud enough vs other sound effects or something.

I also feel that attacks in general sometimes don't register properly when you're breaking crates, pots, pans etc. There are times you can be slashing something directly In-front of your character, but it will simply refuse to break or register contact.

Anyone else get these issues?

Been mentioned several times. Sound design is terrible and and sample quality is massively compressed too.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way about the parkour, viewpoints, and the assassinations themselves in this case. This just feels like an open-world game where they slapped a few extra trappings on so they could call it an Assassin's Creed game.
The viewpoints are the same old same old and the assassinations are whatever, but the parkour definitely feels like a big step backwards and sometimes it's just not fun trying to move through these environments with Eivor.

I would hope that the next game has more refinement to it with a lot of its gameplay systems and mechanics, but I doubt anything major will happen.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

I noticed something similar when I found Excalibur. So much of this game is basically just The Viking Experience that it's kind of a "oh shit... right" moment when you suddenly come upon an Isu ruin under Stonehenge.

It's funny because they were all over the place in Origins and Odyssey; here, it's practically an easter egg in an otherwise straight-laced (barring all the goofy world events) dramatization of the time period.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The viewpoints are the same old same old and the assassinations are whatever, but the parkour definitely feels like a big step backwards and sometimes it's just not fun trying to move through these environments with Eivor.
The parkour especially seems a lot more finicky than it used to be. And not just with getting stuck on environmental objects. I can't even tell you the number of times that Eivor would climb around the window instead of through it, especially the narrow ones. And then all the other times she was climbing all over the place except where I wanted her to go.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I've been enjoying the heck out of this for about 60 hours now. But I'll be damned if that good ole fatigue isn't starting to set in. I like it but I don't know if I'll ever be able to stomach playing it again. I can take a Miles Morales break, and maybe finish up the end of Pillars of Eternity 2 or something.

like goddamn this is a lot of game.

Edit: 60 hours and doofus who needs rescued only just got that way. *sigh*

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed something similar when I found Excalibur. So much of this game is basically just The Viking Experience that it's kind of a "oh shit... right" moment when you suddenly come upon an Isu ruin under Stonehenge.

It's funny because they were all over the place in Origins and Odyssey; here, it's practically an easter egg in an otherwise straight-laced (barring all the goofy world events) dramatization of the time period.

I mean the more focused story wasn't a bad thing. This is the first assassins creed game I've truly finished since black flag. That says a lot.

But it's definitely not without its problems. All in all it's my favorite of the 3 Bloat Creeds

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I still have (on England), Lincolnscire, Suthsexe, Eurwicscire, and all the western counties. I've cleared Asgard and Jotunheim, obtained Thor's helmet and Excalibur, and killed most of the Order. How much do I have left?

Please tell me I'm at least halfway.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the modern day story, I think. Did I fuck up somehow and get a bad ending? Don't click because this is legit way endgame stuff.

Uh, Basim got resurrected and now he's in the animus for some reason? Did I fuck up by not finishing other stuff first? I became the yarl because I didn't screw up any of the major decisions but goddamn.

Is this because I didn't finish the dreams/visions questline? Or the order? Fffffffffffffff

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Finished the modern day story, I think. Did I fuck up somehow and get a bad ending? Don't click because this is legit way endgame stuff.

Uh, Basim got resurrected and now he's in the animus for some reason? Did I fuck up by not finishing other stuff first? I became the yarl because I didn't screw up any of the major decisions but goddamn.

Is this because I didn't finish the dreams/visions questline? Or the order? Fffffffffffffff

Nope, you are good. The good/bad ending differences are small and based on your decisions like did you give Dag his axe etc. and are just dialogue during the ending cutscenes

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
You have about 40-50 hours left if you bee line it.
I sure as hell ain't gonna beeline anything. I've been clearing out regions one at a time, doing every mystery and looting every artifact and item of wealth as they appear.

I might take a break from Valhalla to play other stuff, and come back to it another time. Completing individual regions staves off burnout, but the stories of individual locales range from "seriously great" to "bored out of my mind". Frankly, the story pacing in this game is so terrible that I've actually found more enjoyment in just cleaning every location out completely.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
I sure as hell ain't gonna beeline anything. I've been clearing out regions one at a time, doing every mystery and looting every artifact and item of wealth as they appear.

I might take a break from Valhalla to play other stuff, and come back to it another time. Completing individual regions staves off burnout, but the stories of individual locales range from "seriously great" to "bored out of my mind". Frankly, the story pacing in this game is so terrible that I've actually found more enjoyment in just cleaning every location out completely.

Just to save you from some insanity, there are a handful of treasures that are locked behind story areas but still show up on the map before you can reach them. If you are clearing the regions as you play through the region arch and immediately after before moving on, this should not be an issue. But if you were jumping around, it might.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Just to save you from some insanity, there are a handful of treasures that are locked behind story areas but still show up on the map before you can reach them. If you are clearing the regions as you play through the region arch and immediately after before moving on, this should not be an issue. But if you were jumping around, it might.
I tend to clear anything between me and my objective in a region, and when the region's story wraps up, I do a cleanup run to get that sweet, sweet gold border.

Sep 24, 2020
Pretty funny starting the Asgard arc (only did the intro quest beforehand) when I've got the full Thor armour set, Mjolnir and Gungnir lol.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
So I finally got the game (for free, thanks MSI Motherboard) and I can run it at 1080p ultra at around 70fps.

I have a quick question. Should I match the refresh rate with my monitor - 144hz - and enable vsync or limit the frame rate to 60fps to perhaps get a smoother experience? Or maybe do both? I'm not sure.