ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Other than the snow deformation looking a bit wonky when the character is still, game looks good to me. I'm sure it'll look even better on PC and not with a compressed to hell video feed.

ACG spitting straight #facts here, I think in response to the reaction to these leaked Valhalla clips?

Why does Spider-Man look weird in that video?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ACG spitting straight #facts here, I think in response to the reaction to these leaked Valhalla clips?

Its in response to...some official and non-official stuff ya. I am just sort of blown away as there is some clear stuff, if you have the paperwork, that people are just not doing and that's from major websites/youtubers.
Can't control people who just get things early of course.
I just don't get it. It's not the first time. I noticed, especially when some testing/previews are done a LOT of seriously flawed discussion happens but a lot of times its based around possible/perceived things. Some of that is the case here. Other parts not.

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the snow deformation looking a bit wonky when the character is still, game looks good to me. I'm sure it'll look even better on PC and not with a compressed to hell video feed.

it's the into the spiderverse suit, mimicking the animation style from the movie

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Last AC I played was Black Flag and before that Part 1! I think I would be fine rolling with Origins or Odyssey at a discount.

Will this game be that much of an improvement?

Oct 25, 2017

It's the Spider-Verse suit which has an ability that turns on a slower fps for the character like in the movie.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I hope the game really looks better when released.
I pretend to play the game one day, so I am not gonna watch the Full beginning of the game.
Well then you are left with a false representation of the game. Like it doesn't make sense to make a purchasing decision based on that gif. Hell it doesn't make sense to make a purchasing decision based on the short video but at least you could have a better idea as to how the game will look.

Oct 31, 2017
Game already looked bad IMO. Didn't get to see the video but saw the pics and gifs of the blatant Atreus rip-off and Aloy rip-off. This game could not look more bland, uninspired, and half-baked. Par for the course for Ubisoft

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Its in response to...some official and non-official stuff ya. I am just sort of blown away as there is some clear stuff, if you have the paperwork, that people are just not doing and that's from major websites/youtubers.
I just don't get it. It's not the first time. I noticed, especially when some testing/previews are done a LOT of seriously flawed discussion happens but a lot of times its based around possible/perceived things. Some of that is the case here. Other parts not.

Really enjoying your latest videos. Keep up the good work.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
People are so quick to give Ubi devs absolute hell for "ugly graphics", "shit animations", etc. Is the game fun? Does it provide the intended experience that's written on the back of the box? Does it perform well?

I don't understand how we can demonize crunch, yet expect absolute perfection with all the bells and whistles running at incredible framerates for $70 USD... I'm not saying crunch is necessary to produce a good game, but as consoles continue to become more powerful, more work is necessary to ensure the software is doing everything possible to be "better" than the developers previous installment.

This negative speech towards leaked footage has to be an absolute kick in the pants for the devs that put their hearts and souls into this. It just makes me feel bad.
I think the problem is that Ubisoft uses their mainstream and uninspiring formula for years now and there's nothing groundbreaking to expect from a narrative and gameplay perspective so people expect, at least from a AAA publisher and dev like Ubisoft, a little bit more bells and whistles on the visual front to have this blockbuster look and feel, which is written all over the series. If anything else isn't already elevated beyond the usual popcorn "I've already seen this" stuff it should at least look fucking amazing. It's not like they had all those years developing it to reinvent the wheel with so many things (at least in the concept and drawing phase) they could have copied over. Now add the next gen on the horizon to that environment and people's expectations are fucking huge.

Personally, from what I've seen from the trailers, I'm okay with what I seen save the facial animations straight from 2015. It's nothing special but it looks good and fun and I do like the setting, especially from the first addon they've teasered.

However, and this is absolutely right, judging from leaked footage with heavy compression artefacts is rarely a good idea. Hell, even watching a 1080p directly captured video looks so bad these days on YouTube because these, what? 12mbit/s is way too low for all the details (and motion) most games have these day. Watching a 4k video vs 1080p on YouTube, even on a 1080p display, is a night and day difference in regards of compression quality.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
This is the one game I was planning on getting for Series X! Perhaps the day 1 patch will improve things.
I moved Dirt 5 over to the PS5 due to the Duelsense haptic support. Otherwise I'll go with COD.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i find the prompt for breaking the boxes a very ugly design choice

Yeah especially when there are a lot of boxes, normally they'd just do the closest, but that doesn't look right. I also find the animation for breaking the boxes way over the top, I guess because tis the same animation for combat, but seems extreme.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I agree with the different versions issue, it's confusing as hell.

....but the overall angry voice response over the video, nah, getting too old for this shit I suppose. :)

If the games are being sent out for reviews and reviewers/streamers are not following the embargo, yeah that's unfortunate, but Day 1 patches (or the Smart delivery updating the game to be better on next gen), I'm afraid that's on games companies. Nothing stops them from getting the patches online early, especially if they are sending copies out, they know what's going to happen (people will upload material). If the patches are not ready, well yes we are obviously coming in hot, and if the patches are not there, I'm afraid they get what they get.

Personally I think it's interesting to see what difference these day 1 patches are going to make to some of these issues people are raising with these games. They are not going to fix fundamental issues or clunky things.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't that. The swinging animation looks like it is operating at half-refresh rate or something.
Yes, it's that suits modifier. It animates Spidey like the movie did, so he animates on 2s, which is something like 12FPS, while the world is running at 60. It looks super weird, there's a video on it on the PS and Marvel YouTube channels.

s y

Nov 8, 2017

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
People are so quick to give Ubi devs absolute hell for "ugly graphics", "shit animations", etc. Is the game fun? Does it provide the intended experience that's written on the back of the box? Does it perform well?

I don't understand how we can demonize crunch, yet expect absolute perfection with all the bells and whistles running at incredible framerates for $70 USD... I'm not saying crunch is necessary to produce a good game, but as consoles continue to become more powerful, more work is necessary to ensure the software is doing everything possible to be "better" than the developers previous installment.

This negative speech towards leaked footage has to be an absolute kick in the pants for the devs that put their hearts and souls into this. It just makes me feel bad.
Nice post. Well said.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
After watching that ACG video I'm defintely taking a wait and see approach. Some stuff doesn't add up with what has been previously shown with the visuals.

And especially from some youtubers who will do anything for clicks. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Xbox One version of the game being played on a Series X console. So "technically" they can say it's Series X gameplay.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think this is a little bit of an extreme take.... and yes some people overdo the moaning about graphics, resolution and frame rate, but $70 is a lot of money...and some of the criticisms are perfectly valid. Thats like saying no one should criticise the shonky animations or face stuff in the Fallout games... because they worked hard on it. Its a perfectly valid comment, they need to replace/improve the engine. Ubisoft imho have had some of the best franchises over the last 10 years, but they've definitely gone stale and just rinse/repeat their games in the last four years. They've fallen into the same traps that other developers were called out on when Ubisoft started making amazing open world games.

I'm looking forward to AC, but it wouldn't surprise me if it falls into the same traps that the other AC games have of late (the last one I really enjoyed was BlackFlag).

Of course saying something looks rubbish on a poor low res stream, yeah that's probably a bit early... but moaning about functional things, perfectly reasonable.

Oct 31, 2017
Yikes. Looks rough.

Nothing next gen looking about this especially the fire. I'll be skipping AC this year and waiting for a price drop.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
As soon as people react with "it will look better uncompressed" you know a game looks just not good.

Valhalla looked bad back in the summer "leaks" and looks bad now, it is not even about the graphics themselves, animations from yesteryear (2018) because mostly straight up lifted from Odyssey, running looks like the character needs to hurry to a toilet, the UI is ugly and so on.
sure crossgen but this is the same as the last two games, now in 60fps, that was it.

ever since Division 2 Ubisoft is on a constant downward trend. the engines and animation tech are dated and the UbiMagic™ evaporated at this point. this game is the same game for the third time which is ironic since the franchise was rebooted due to franchise fatigue, they reached that point again by now.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
Why pick HZD? When the open world benchmark is RDR2? And at least that is on the Xbox platform lol.

Regardless of the quality of this game, can we please stop comparing every open world game to RDR2? It's beyond absurd to make comparisons to a game that was in development for 8 freaking years, crunching their employees to the bone for a pretty good chunk of that. The fidelity and graphical detail of that game was not worth the human cost.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't look terrible on its own or anything, but from a franchise that had games like Unity which looked amazing years ago... it just looks a bit rough. The animation especially looks a bit rough around the edges and this is a game that's releasing as cross gen so it's pretty disappointing.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
First of all thanks. I don't always agree with all your reviews but I love your honesty and your passion. Keep it up, I'm staying subbed and love what your doing. I've been surprised at how loose "journalists" are playing with the facts. Keep em honest.