• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horse

• Assassin’s Creed

Votes: 128 15.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 336 40.9%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 83 10.1%
  • The Witcher 3

Votes: 50 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 17 2.1%
  • MGSV

Votes: 66 8.0%
  • Shadow of the Colossus

Votes: 141 17.2%

• Total voters

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
RH4tfRx.jpg

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think you're right. I'm definitely not as attached to it as I was my horse in RDR2, but I love that no matter where I am, that horse is always 2 seconds away. Sometimes it'll just come out of the stupidest places. I really wish I would have played this game in 2018. It would have pushed God of War and Red Dead 2 down to 2nd and 3rd for me. I gotta learn to stop doubting Ubisoft. They just know how to make fun games.

Oct 27, 2017
The horse in AC is nice because you can just run wherever without any consequences. However the horse, like much of AC, felt meaningless and inconsequential.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
With the sometimes very janky physics and clunky controls, I honestly think RDR2's horse (while convincingly realistic in many ways) is the least fun I've had controlling anything in a game for a long time.

It's definitely not as smooth or easy to use but if you go a little slower and don't expect it to turn on a dime it "feels" much better. Phobos is like driving a remote control car that can climb mountains with ease and never dies. It's just not a horse in ant sense of the word outside of the skin.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe there are so few votes for Argo. He fulfils all the criteria in the OP (apart from the path finding, but whatever) and doesn't control like a hover board.

I mean, you can park Phobos vertical on a wall. Just like a real horse.

It was a convenient mode of transport, nothing more. I appreciated that fact coming from RDR2 where horse riding became a chore, but Argo managed to be both convenient, relatively believable AND more than just a mode of transport. Best horse.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Grew up around horses. RDR2 is the most realistic by far. Whether or not that translates into good gameplay is up to the player.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
And most importantly: when you dive horse-first off a cliff, it will die but only for like two minutes.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Phobos is good for the looting but man they make you look like an ass riding whenever you have to trot in town. They skipped a bit of animation there.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
As Breath of the Wild devs have said, horses don't run into trees. I was disappointed the second my horse smashed into something. BotW wins for me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Huh - i found the horse animation in Odyssey pretty awful, particularly coming off RDR2... just jankiness everywhere

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
As Breath of the Wild devs have said, horses don't run into trees. I was disappointed the second my horse smashed into something. BotW wins for me.
Nothing kills a horse usage to me more than this stupid shit.
Made Witcher 3 a chore to play because of how stupid that horse can be.
Can't even fucking swim, I can understand a horse not wanting to get wet but being literally impossible to enter a puddle of water is ridiculous.

OP
OP
-JD-

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe there are so few votes for Argo. He fulfils all the criteria in the OP (apart from the path finding, but whatever) and doesn't control like a hover board.

It was a convenient mode of transport, nothing more. I appreciated that fact coming from RDR2 where horse riding became a chore, but Argo managed to be both convenient, relatively believable AND more than just a mode of transport. Best horse.

I'll be honest, it's been a long long time since I've played Shadow of the Colossus so I don't particularly remember what it was like to control Agro. That said, I feel like for what that game asks of you, Agro fulfills every necessity. But for the larger requirements of the modern open world title I'd place ACO's horse above it.

And being able to park on a sheer vertical surface is a plus in my book.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Argo was always my go to before MGSV.

D-Horse is on another level compared to all other horses in games.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not as smooth or easy to use but if you go a little slower and don't expect it to turn on a dime it "feels" much better. Phobos is like driving a remote control car that can climb mountains with ease and never dies. It's just not a horse in ant sense of the word outside of the skin.
Yeh I get the appeal, and when they works the horses in RDR2 are are really cool experience.

The problem I have is that RDR2 is still a video game, and has many video game moments where you need to react quickly. Like ambushes. And sometimes the game's weighty controls mixed with physics that can send you flying if you graze a rock are super frustrating.

I understand if you really like managing that kind of mechanic and if you're good at it too, me, I prefer a bit of responsiveness in place of realism.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Poor D-horse.

It's up there with RDR2 for one of the best animated horses in the gaming landscape and the only horse that will distract the enemy for you and sneak through enemy lines with you.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a joke. RDR2 is beyond anything made. It's more then just mechanism for traveling, NPCs comment on your horse, and sometimes steal it. If someone does, you can whistle and your horse will buck the NPC off.

If you fire your noisy gun, your horse starts to get agitated, if there's certain animals around it'll feel uneasy, there's so much to it then any other game, that it feels it has its own personality.

Just look at the kinectic animation, how each leg independently positions itself, its a remarkable achievement that has no equal.

Last edited:

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be honest, it's been a long long time since I've played Shadow of the Colossus so I don't particularly remember what it was like to control Agro. That said, I feel like for what that game asks of you, Agro fulfills every necessity. But for the larger requirements of the modern open world title I'd place ACO's horse above it.

And being able to park on a sheer vertical surface is a plus in my book.
Yeah, playing ACO was like a breath of fresh air. It's as if the devs travelled back in time, played RDR2 and said 'fuck that realistic nonsense' and did the exact opposite of everything Rockstar did.

I'd have given up on ACO if it had RDR2's horses.

I did feel a greater sense of attachment to my horse in RDR2, though.

There must be a middle ground...
Argo was always my go to before MGSV.

D-Horse is on another level compared to all other horses in games.
...maybe that's it? I'll be honest, I've not played enough of MGSV to comment. Sounds like a stand-up horse though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
aesthetically, i appreciate the chocobo horse from origins due to the sheer absurdity of it.

7tc2gjsh56501.jpg

control-wise i'd go with mount&blade. it's got the best horsefeel in the biz. it's the only game where I get a feeling for the horse i'm using and prefer one over another.

Scrolling down the image and at first being "that's a chocobo", then seeing the legs...

giphy.gif

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
If the horse is nothing more than a faster sprint, why even bother.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and Shadow of The Colossus reign supreme.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I just love the horse controls in the game, best in the game. Its just lame that your horse speed depends on where you are. I did like how Zelda rewards you for exploring and discovering, though. Explore and you can discover different types of mounts.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
The horse in BotW is the best. Assisted in combat while riding and not. Matched pace with you while running to get away. D-horse is second since you can do a bunch of stealth functions. I loved my horse in RDR2 but he was just an ok horse. Everytime I called him I expected him to act like in BotW.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That horse is shit. It's horseshit. I see you love it because it's super convenient and doesn't bother you with anything like variety or learning curve.

The game where you can jump from a cliff and survive because it's just easier. The game where you can hold x and smash straight through a town up walls and everything.

Not my style.

The best horses are a tie between Zelda and mgs5. They sort of show two sides of it; wild and pet horses that you negotiate with, and a highly trained military service horse. They're a tie but I gave my vote to mgs5.

Yes, you have to mind your horse. And you have to learn how to control the horse. And there's pros and cons to traveling with the horse. It's challenging with a good payoff and it has some depth.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ubi have gotten good at finding a balance between realism and what's most fun for the player in terms of animation.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I thought the AC Odyssey horse (Phobos) was super convenient & arcadey but I felt more attached to RDR2's horses because they were more vulnerable, had needs, and could be named. Those details made me care more about the RDR2 horses while Phobos was just a thing that I would occasionally use to ride places.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I have only played Odyssey from that list, so hard to say which horse is best.

Phobos was good, but ultimately held back by the weird speed limits enforced by the game. Inside the cities they are fine, but I don't need my horse to slow down 50 meters away from the city walls. This mechanic meshes especially poorly with cities that have major roads running next to their walls, such as Athens and Megara. It also feels arbitrary because there are small villages with relatively many people in them that can be galloped through at full speed. What makes the vicinity of places like Athens and Megara so special that you have to slow down?

In Oddysey I never even used the horse because it was so slow and I was faster just running over things. That alone makes it the worst in any game I've played.
Following the roads through the wilderness with your horse is much faster than running through woods and scaling every hill and mountain you come across.

Inside cities is a different story of course, though I don't think the devs intended you to ride your horse there in the first place.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
What's the point of riding a horse if it doesn't even run headlong at breakneck speed right into a tree?

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I've spent a lot of my life around horses and RDR2 has to be the closest I've ever seen in a video game.

Remember that scene where the dude got kicked in the head? I've seen that shit in person so many times. Horses are brutal man, they can fuck you up. Video games needs to show how violent they can be.

Jan 29, 2018
I liked how in Darksiders you'd summon the horse and it'd just emerge from the ground beneath you and you'd be riding it.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I can't really vote since I haven't played all of these games, but looking at the ones I have played...

It definitely is not BotW or SotC. They are far too awkward. I honestly can only really remember Horizon's and the original RDR's being all right to control. Maybe some of the Assassin's Creeds too (not 3).

Oct 29, 2017
dunno, phobos runs away from me trying to mount it for a few seconds every bloody time i call it

For the longest time this was happening to me until I read a tooltip that said if you keep running in a straight line while calling Phobos, the horse will catch up with you and you'll automatically mount it.

if you hold the mount button you don't even have to stop running to mount him

You don't even have to hold the button, just keep running in a straight line

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Most functional horse and that's what I want from a horse in a game that I play for 70-100 hours. I wouldn't want any of that simulation, realistic crap when my only purpose is to travel from point A and B conveniently without fighting my horse.

The only thing I wish it did was have the ability to sprint or trot inside city, a lot of times you want to get away from alerted enemies but the horse wouldn't go any faster and you can go faster than it by just running on your own. I guess inside the city you can just climb a building but when you are on the outskirts it still counts as "inside the city" and your horse speed is limited still. This is where I'd want the ability for the horse to go faster.