• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I can't speak for Geoff, but from what I gathered/think

It was moved to Thurs (it use to be Fridays) because it was the same weekend as PlayStation Experience, and while Anaheim isn't too far, I imagine a lot of folks inside the industry weren't keen on doing this, the aftershow and then rushing in LA traffic to Anaheim for the next morning so built in a travel day buffer.

It is still relatively early in the day in California and if they wanna make it an awards show that sells tickets to general audience need to do it after work hours to make sure people show up. They could move it to the East Coast, but most of our gaming companies are situated in the West.

They could do weekends, and maybe what they'll try next year, but for the most part people try to be "primetime" and don't think anyone wants to like broadcast at 2pm. We shall see.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
They aren't going to air an awards show during the day, so I don't know what you're expecting.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I thought it's 2:30 am on Saturday but it's actually Friday at night... why?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's impossible to do a show like this at a time that works for everyone and still gets them good viewer numbers

It's based in America anyways so not a surprise that's the priority

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, everyone is excited for the video game awards, its basically becoming a 2nd E3 and Geoff does a wonderful job with hosting it, I'm sure there will be many great surprises.

And that makes me sad, because I can't watch it live. See, the VGA airs around 2:30 midnight in Germany on a working day, meaning there is no way to watch it live. Yes, I can watch it after that of course, but its not the same. There is nothing more magical than watching a video game event live with so many people around the globe and hype up great games announcements on the exact same time.

I know that its an american focused show and has every right to air around that time, but as an European I can't help but to feel really excluded from that event. I mean, Nintendo and Microsoft are hosting their E3 events at much more convenient times as well, so maybe hosting VGA a few hours before would be in the realm of possibility?

What do you think? Are more Europeans here who feel the same way?
It's an American event, hosted by Americans, created by Americans, produced by Americans and happens in America. You shouldn't feel included cuz it's not being made for Europeans. It's being made for Americans.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Either I am going to watch this in the morning or after work on Friday. Skipping 60 % of this show.

It's an American event, hosted by Americans, created by Americans, produced by Americans and happens in America. You shouldn't feel included cuz it's not being made for Europeans. It's being made for Americans.

Thought it was being made for the gamez.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and it's a terrible production so tracks with what you just said.

Well, that's unfair, Geoff Keighley is Canadian.

Oct 28, 2017
i know. when there are events i can't watch i stay media blackout until i can watch them. at least i can pretend i'm watching them live

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully I'll be off work on the 6th and 7th, so staying up late to watch it will be absolutely fine. Hope there's cool new Sony games!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's definitely made for global audience. They even handed out Chinese Fan Game Award last year.
Funny that 90% of the games that will win anything will also be made by American companies.
So far there's been Game of the Year winner from Canada, Japan, US and Poland (different country every year). This time nominees come from Japan, Canada, US and UK. There are nominees in other categories from France, Poland, Australia, Czech and Sweden. In the "content creator" category one of the nominees doesn't even make their content in English.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Consider this: are all ads that will show up be valid for you? Will all brands that are funding the show be relevant to the market where you live? Because i'm sure for me it won't, so its only natural that the hours are not coveneint for me either.

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'll probably be up for the Smash unlock, but yikes at that two hour length, probably won't bother staying up that much.
Also lol sorry muricans for caring about your shows, enjoy your clash of clans ads I guess.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
It is annoying I've never once seen a game awards or a Sony E3. Please put them on a Friday or Saturday. Many of us would stay up to watch

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Nope. If it was during the day I would miss it due to having school, and many others would be at work.

I think they should give US/Canada first priority here, since the this is where the event is held.