• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, everyone is excited for the video game awards, its basically becoming a 2nd E3 and Geoff does a wonderful job with hosting it, I'm sure there will be many great surprises.

And that makes me sad, because I can't watch it live. See, the VGA airs around 2:30 midnight in Germany on a working day, meaning there is no way to watch it live. Yes, I can watch it after that of course, but its not the same. There is nothing more magical than watching a video game event live with so many people around the globe and hype up great games announcements on the exact same time.

I know that its an american focused show and has every right to air around that time, but as an European I can't help but to feel really excluded from that event. I mean, Nintendo and Microsoft are hosting their E3 events at much more convenient times as well, so maybe hosting VGA a few hours before would be in the realm of possibility?

What do you think? Are more Europeans here who feel the same way?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How I feel everytime Sony does their show at E3. It's fucking late.

But I get to sleep next year thankfully. I've watched every Sony E3 live since they started streaming.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You could easily just wake up for two hours and watch live. Try living in Australia where nothing works for us time wise.

VilleEricson

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Yeah same here. I live in Sweden and gotta work ob friday so I'll miss it too!

Good thing that Kinda Funny Showcase in on saturday and a much better starting time!

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
It has been like that for over 10 years with it even when it was spike show.

Its a giant commercial rapped in a awards show.
Just watch the highlights in the morning.

We are not the main target audience for the ads so that is why.
USA and China are the main target.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I always end up booking the day off work after to watch it, but working all day then staying up that late is still a struggle.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watch the trailers/reveals that show up almost immediately after.

There's no value in the actual 'awards.'

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Thank god Nintendo, Microsoft and Ubisoft don't air their conferences at awful times.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can't please everyone. Screwing with my sleep was easier thus far than watching while doing something else for me

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
And that makes me sad, because I can't watch it live. See, the VGA airs around 2:30 midnight in Germany on a working day, meaning there is no way to watch it live. Yes, I can watch it after that of course, but its not the same. There is nothing more magical than watching a video game event live with so many people around the globe and hype up great games announcements on the exact same time.

just go to sleep early and watch it if you must. i do that several times a month to catch an nba game. no biggie.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
game awards are always boring, i'll wait to see the trailers when i wake up

if it was a N-direct i would have staid awake though (or just go to sleep really early to wake up in time) even when working the same day (i'm in switzerland so it's the same time as you)

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I agree OP. When I open any website or even YT I'll be instantly spoiled by all the bs clickbait thumbnails

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love gaming events being late at night honestly. It's more atmospheric when you're the only person who's awake in the house and sat in complete darkness apart from the glow of a screen. Much more fun than when they're on at like 6pm.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks, but it is what it is.

Sony, TGA, and Beth were always at awful times.

TGA starts here at 3:30 AM and it ends at around 6.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here we go again. It's an American awards show. This is not E3 with multiple shows. It should be held in the evening time for America. It is what it is. You can please the entire world. And Geoff might have obligations to do it on a Thursday too.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind having to stay up for a couple of hours for these events, but I do mind if it's during a week day. Why isn't this on a Friday/Saturday evening, instead it's in Friday at something like 3A.M.

Here we go again. It's an American awards show. This is not E3 with multiple shows. It should be held in the evening time for America. It is what it is. You can please the entire world. And Geoff might have obligations to do it on a Thursday too.
And yet, Keighley is boasting about the biggest simultaneous audience and range ever possible. I love the guy, but this time and day is terrible.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Same here too, but DMC V and Obsidian are there, i have to resist.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Ouch, it's gonna be at 2:30?
Well, I'm self-employed and an insomniac so I might still watch it or at least the opening bits but it's gonna be rough, haha. Gonna have to buy some energy drinks.

I watched the whole thing last year for sure but I was working nights back then.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
You can't handle sleeping two hours less on a work day...? In other European countries, people party on Thursdays and get to work on Friday without having slept at all!

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Yeah I usually have the same problem since I live in Czech Republic, but this year I work night shift when VGA airs, so I'm pretty sure I catch the whole thing live.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Try watching Sony's E3 while in eastern Europe. Thank god they cancelled, so I will not have to sit till 6 in the morning each year.

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
Most of E3 conferences are happening at night.. no?
Now my job is basically to watch em so I have no problem with it but before, I had to discover all the announces in the morning. That's not remotely as magical, of course, but it also has its charm.
On topic: I agree with you but Geoff has to find the better time on location, and there will always be parts of the world where the time is inconvenient, that's the way it is. If the Earth is round, that is. Heh.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It's a jerk-off of the US gaming industry with a few interesting announcements sometimes. I prefer reading the news the morning after or watching the trailers.

And E3 is becoming more and more the same.

I'm 32 and I've done all-nighters for full sets of conferences when I worked for a gaming site but even as the biggest videogame fanatic I think my time for this is over.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Living in Europe and being a huge fan of the NHL, I can relate.

However if I really want to see a game, a show or something I make sure it work out.

Going to sleep early and wake up, or take a day off after if I can, or make other adjustments to make sure I can see it.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work that day

why can't they have it on friday like every decent awards show, why thursday? :(

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care at all. I find the event itself to be a slog to get through and all the interesting bits (new game reveals) will be online immediately or shortly after. I much prefer getting all the important information in a condensed manner without having to sit through the boring stuff.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Yeah... In my case I don't work the day after so I will watch it after waking up and without having checked any internet before that.

Good thing is I can pass when I'm not interested.

It would be great they would do that on a Saturday, yes. Things like the Oscars with a Sunday are the same.
I have two gaming channels were I like to watch them follow E3 and stuff, but every year they put the showen games in the headline of the video. Drives me crazy.

Well for VGA I asked for a later shift on Friday. Will try to go to sleep early and watch it live. Worked for Sony during E3 as well. But I've seen that last year's show was 3 hours long. May be a bit too much; maybe I go to sleep after the DMC5 stuff.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, working irregular hours and days saved me a couple of times but not this year. But i'll just be offline till the end of the workday and then watch it.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
You could easily just wake up for two hours and watch live. Try living in Australia where nothing works for us time wise.

This so much. Almost every sport event ever, football, nba, world cup, champions league, E3. It's all out of wack.

Even getting to a convention is difficult - i would love to go to TGS, gen con, essen, E3, real PAX, but every single one is travelling halfway round the world.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, what can you do.

The earth is a ball and we have timezones. Some things happen to some groups at unconvenient times. Time good for US, bad for europe good for japan. Time good for europe bad for US bad for japan or whatever.

Europe bitches that sony´s E3 conference is at 2 am while saying nintendo/ms times are great. Then US people are bitching about nintendo times because they´re at work at the time.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah he really choosed a very terrible time.

Should always be on a Friday and 3-4 hours ealier so that it works better out for europeans

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People will get disappointed. Every year this show is hyped up and especially this year. It wont be able to meet expectations.

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
No. Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft, EA... all of them are between 18 and 24 or so. Only Sony is really late in Europe.

Right, but you're forgetting Bethesda, Devolver and the PC Gaming Show, which account with PlayStation for nearly half of the event (4 out of 10 conferences). That's not "most of it" as I said, nor the most anticipated conferences, but I guess I tried to say that we europeans are used to watch E3 at night, or to miss a part of it.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
I've got the day off this Friday so I lucked out this year, but usually, yeah it kinda sucks. It is what it is though, not the end of the world.