Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell no, 30fps is such a massive detriment to image quality in comparison to the additional bling at 30fps, who would do this to themselves.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Never have I ever.

I wish Rocket League had a complex plot and emotion driven characters

I know that I am often super grateful that modern fighting games have those deep, cinematic narratives, because a lack of them is exactly what I knew made those games sorely lacking when I started playing SF2, Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter in the early 90s! Lord knows how those games ever survived without them.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Not a comparison but if Uncharted 4 were to look as its multiplayer I would vastly prefer 30fps but I guess multiplayer costs its visuals not just because of 60fps but because of more players.

Oct 30, 2017
halo 5 on base xb1 is the closest i've ever got to thinking this, since it looked super unimpressive and the dynamic resolution was rough.

but even then it was the right choice. can't compare it to a hypothetically better-looking halo game at any framerate — the tradeoff was what it was and the priority was the correct one.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I would never trade steady 60fps for prettier graphics. I would gladly let some games take a hit to graphics to up performance though

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
There's strong selection bias in this premise. Most games at 60fps belong to genres that strongly benefit from it, like shooters and racers.

Though 60fps is always overwhelmingly superior to 30 no matter the genre, even the argument of "well I prefer the cinematic experience" fails to qualify in most examples, because pretty much any cinematic-adjacent title is already 30fps.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I'm the strange person who legit prefers 30fps 3D Mario games and would've absolutely have made Odyssey 30fps for better graphics. Because honestly Odyssey is shockingly rough around the edges in parts. Some pretty low-res textures and some geometry is very questionable. I even saw some polygon gaps in places (think it was a rock in the Feudal Japan area, really surprised me). And obviously Metro Kingdom is rough with how the people really lose detail and animation frames at only a small distance away.

That's just me, but you did ask! :P

I'm not sure if I'd sacrifice framerate, but I do agree odyssey generally looked fine, but I think once they try for 'lesser cartoony' visuals the limits popup.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been PC gaming for years. I've only ever chosen to settle for 30fps when my machine simply couldn't run the same game at 60fps even with settings lowered to the minimum.

Framerate is way more important to me than most other elements of a game's performance and presentation.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I cant really think of any. Maybe Halo 5 but campaign only? That game had a pretty wonky 60fps anyway with enemies moving at 30 when at a decent distance.
Halo 5 at launch. Some of the assets and art were pretty ugly in the push for 60fps.
Halo 5 was the first thing that came to my mind as well. After the graphical triumph that was Halo 4, I just hoped for a prettier campaign. And with their enhanced BC, it would have held up better since the One X or XSX could run it at the full 60 anyway. Multiplayer 60 fps is a must though

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
halo 5 on base xb1 is the closest i've ever got to thinking this, since it looked super unimpressive and the dynamic resolution was rough.

but even then it was the right choice. can't compare it to a hypothetically better-looking halo game at any framerate — the tradeoff was what it was and the priority was the correct one.
You can compare Halo 5 to the shockingly good looking 30fps cutscenes. But then again theyre cutscenes, those always look better than gameplay even if theyre both the same framerate.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Can't that be solved with freesync (or similar tech)?

Yeah, VRR would help as well. But I feel adoption of such technologies is going to be so slow, that most people would still have a poor experience.

I guess if someone really wanted to make a game really cinematic, they could go for that, but for the most part I'd prefer higher frame rates, not lower.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
60 fps > locked 30 fps (with good framepacing) > inconsistent 60 (so ranging from 40 to 60)

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'll have to turn in my gamer badge and gun after saying this, but the huge leap in graphical quality going from Yakuza Kiwami to Kiwami 2 made me think the drop to 30fps was worth it. My jaw dropped when I first saw Kamurocho.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
FH4 has a 1080p60 and a 4k30 mode.
The 1080p60 mode disables/lowers a bunch of graphical effects on top of massively reducing the resolution compared to 4k30.
But.... I still chose to play in that mode. It's just better. And motion clarity of 1080p60 is still better than 4k30, and especially in a driving game, that is king.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. As good as the RE2 and 3 remakes go, I'm certain they would've looked a lot better if they weren't aiming for 60 on base consoles.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
60 fps > locked 30 fps (with good framepacing) > inconsistent 60 (so ranging from 40 to 60)
Most of the time, sure, I'd go with this. There are exceptions though

Like, with God of War on PS4 Pro.

The Performance mode hits 60fps surprisingly often, but it isn't perfect, and often fluctuates between 40-60fps, averaging around 50fps.

Despite that, the game is noticeably more responsive in Performance mode. The game simply plays better in Performance mode, despite the judder, and the difference is very noticible. Your inputs translate to on-screen actions with more immediacy, and you generally feel more capable during moment-to-moment gameplay.

I started God of War on PS4 Pro in Quality mode, which targets 30fps at a higher resolution, and sure, the game looks a bit better that way... but after less than an hour of playing around with Performance mode, I couldn't go back.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I think devs usually make the right choice. The games that prioritize 60 usually need to be 60. The games that prioritize visuals and aim for 30 usually don't need higher frame rates to be enjoyable.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say MGS3 would be a good one. It ran at 30fps, rather than the 60fps of MGS2, but the improvements to gameplay in terms of area size and complexity were definitely worth the trade off. The jungle environment was great.

Feb 6, 2019
I am very curious to see what GT Sport would look like with a 30fps mode, considering it is the best looking racer at 60fps, I wonder how pretty it'd be with a 30fps option.

Oct 25, 2017
Journey looks better on PS3 than PC or PS4, to the point where I prefer that version. But 99% sure it wasn't the frame rate but just sub-optimal port job.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nope, I do wish for the opposite on consoles though.