secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
None at all. 60FPS benefits just about every game I've played. I would take a higher framerate over nicer graphics any day.

It's also jarring when console Overwatch (in the menus) go from 60FPS to 30FPS and the exact opposite for Horizon Zero Dawn.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
So many of this gen's best games would be completely gimped if they were designed with 60 FPS in mind for consoles. Open world games in specific would be completely different.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Very, very few.

Honestly, when people were griping about Xbox One and Wii U graphics early in the gen, and a good chunk of BOTH Microsoft's and Nintendo's lineup was 60 fps, I was in hog heaven.

Admittedly, Halo 5 on base XB1 is the only title that immediately came to mind as one I could appreciate the trade-off going down to 30. Part of that's because the series up to that point had already been excellent at 30 fps.

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
I'm going to cheat a little bit and say that I would rather have a current gen FIFA running at 30fps on Switch, than the 1080p60 we got right now with FIFA legacy (that uses a souped-up last-gen engine).

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Nope. We play games in motion, and a more fluid motion actually makes games look and feel better.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Just give people fancy photomodes with extra eyecandy + supersampling, because I mean, that's literally all the extra eye candy is useful for at 30fps.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take 30fps with better visuals and effects any day of the week.

30fps is great on consoles, people who say it's unplayable are mostly PC gamers because 30fps is indeed shitty on PC unless you tinker with 3rd party programs. I can say this because I have both.

It'll be even a more obvious choice next gen with RTX on at 30fps vs no RTX at 60fps.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I'll take 30fps with better visuals and effects any day of the week.

30fps is great on consoles, people who say it's unplayable are mostly PC gamers because 30fps is indeed shitty on PC unless you tinker with 3rd party programs. I can say this because I have both.

It'll be even a more obvious choice next gen with RTX on at 30fps vs no RTX at 60fps.
This is very true. You can definitely feel the lack of frames on a mouse and keyboard versus on a controller 30 is for the most part fine. Destiny is one of the best feeling shooters on console, arguably better than Doom and CoD and it runs at 30.

Fire Emblem Warriors has this option.
I alternate between the two settings - it really just depends on what I feel like that day.

Also - some older games - Gameboy, NES, etc. - probably wouldn't matter.
Older turn-based RPGs really have no need for 60fps.

On that note, I have absolutely no clue what the FPS of any game before the 3D era actually is.

Oh, and I don't notice what the framerate is on 90% of the games I play. On many games, I don't particularly care, and I don't care to care.
I feel so free and it's wonderful.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Games should generally be pushing more towards higher framerates, not lower ones. If the game is running at 60fps, then lowering that to try and improve the graphics a bit just isn't going to be worth the trade-off the vast majority of the time.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Can i say i would be ok with a downgrade of uncharted 4 graphically so i can play it at 60fps. i played multiplayer then play the main campaign and man was that a disappointing transition.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The character just feels really twitchy like they have no weight. Can't stand it
You're obviously free to your opinion but playing a game should have instant response from the controls, there should be as little input lag as possible. There is a reason why Nintendo even with the weakest hardware wants 60fps on games like Mario Odyssey. Some games will naturally be less of an issue with 30 but I don't see how any game would be the preferred way to play from it if there was a 60fps option other than it could improve visual effects.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics often look dated before a single generation is even over.
Frame rate is timeless.

It's never worth sacrificing good performance for graphics.

The character just feels really twitchy like they have no weight. Can't stand it
Switch your TV to movie mode instead of game mode if you like input lag - though I can't understand why that would be.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say MGS3 would be a good one. It ran at 30fps, rather than the 60fps of MGS2, but the improvements to gameplay in terms of area size and complexity were definitely worth the trade off. The jungle environment was great.
Your entirely reasonable post will not be tolerated in this thread of people shouting oh hell no, no exceptions.

as always, developers choice - they know best, not me.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Graphics often look dated before a single generation is even over.
Frame rate is timeless.

It's never worth sacrificing good performance for graphics.

Switch your TV to movie mode instead of game mode if you like input lag - though I can't understand why that would be.
I don't like input lag.

I like to feel like I'm controlling a character of the size that they are. Sure a child can be snappy but an adult wearing armour and carrying loads of gear should be more sluggish.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like input lag.

I like to feel like I'm controlling a character of the size that they are. Sure a child can be snappy but an adult wearing armour and carrying loads of gear should be more sluggish.
If it's not input lag, then what you describe has nothing to do with frame rate.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
A better question would be which 30fps console games would you like to see pared back to hit 60? I'm guessing a lot think they do until they see what it looks like.
Every single one.

So my answer to the thread is: None. Framerate affects gameplay and gameplay is the single most important thing in a game.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Framerate is part of graphics and it is actually very important to gameplay, although for some reason the majority of people here tend to think it is not.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I respect that you had the audacity of making such a thread on ResetEra OP, props to you, it takes some courage :p