Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
This is literally the same argument people over on the gaming side make. "This game is not for you."

It's a dumb way to minimize any kind of criticism.

AbkjURN.gif

What? The "This game is not for you" may be a bit overused but it is valid and there doesn't need to be any criticism, you just move on. There are lots of games I don't play or watch movies because I know it isn't for me (i.e. any sports game or musicals).

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now that Spiderverses social media embargo got lifted. It's interesting to compare spiderverse early response to Aquamans

In brief, Spidey has a lot more mentions of "Best" over aquaman's "Fun", Spiderverse is getting it's reviews today so we'll see how that pans out. When does Aquaman reviews drop again?

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
So state of DCU

Good:

Aquaman solo
Wonderwoman solo
Man of Steel solo

Meh/Bad:

Justice League
Batman vs Superman

Atrocious:

Suicide Squad

There's gotta be a way to crawl back from this. You can't have good WW and Aquaman solo flicks and then blow it up. Smartest thing now I think would be to recast if you can't get Henry and Ben back and pretend nothing happened, and work on putting out strong new solo Batman and Superman flicks. Flat out recast bad roles ( Lex, Joker) and just let the audience be smart enough to know something wasn't working so it got changed.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
AbkjURN.gif

What? The "This game is not for you" may be a bit overused but it is valid and there doesn't need to be any criticism, you just move on. There are lots of games I don't play or watch movies because I know it isn't for me (i.e. any sports game or musicals).
There are 2 ways to really take it, which is why it can be a both valid and invalid statement.

"This game is not for you because you have differing tastes that are inherent to the genre at play. The same thing you list as being things that make it unpleasant for you are exactly the things that make it pleasant for me." For me, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a good example of this. I think if I enjoyed westerns, I'd be ecstatic about the game and have it be a must play. But I don't like westerns in general. I'm still curious to try it because I heard so many good things about the craft of the game, but I'm fine waiting for when it makes it's way to PC at a heavily discounted price before playing it.

vs

"Oh, that complaint you made about that perfectly sensible feature that could let you play it the way you enjoy but wouldn't be a detriment to anyone else? That's not a real flaw, it's just not for you, so just drop the game and stop talking about. " For me, this is just a nice way of saying "Shut the fuck up and get the fuck out." It's often used as a lazy way to invalidate criticism and try to keep a fanbase exclusive so as to not risk change.

And the "It's not made for critics, its made for fans" line, it's totally the latter argument. Critics are fans and fans are critics. The only actual difference between them is that critics are fans who are known personalities and publish their thoughts on a platform. It's a meaningless line whose only purpose is to try and deflect criticism.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Well now. I still don't like what I've seen of Momoa's Aquaman, but I'll trust James Wan. I love Aquaman, he's one of my favorite DC characters, so I really hope I'll enjoy this.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol if that collider dude was critical of any movie he wouldn't be able to do his shitty awkward interviews anymore.

I'll wait for some real criritc impressions.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
So basically sounds like a generic superhero film with a predictable plot with decent third act.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Never got the hate for the trailers I always thought this looks really fun. And I dont care about Aquaman at all.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything about the villain? And I don't mean Black Manta or Khal Drogo's brother, I mean the inevitable 'true villain' that will show up at the end of the movie to surprise of no one. Probably Willem Defoe's character.
For all the good Wonder Woman has done, the only serviceable villains in the current DCEU were Zod and Lex, and that's not exactly a high bar.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Anything about the villain? And I don't mean Black Manta or Khal Drogo's brother, I mean the inevitable 'true villain' that will show up at the end of the movie to surprise of no one. Probably Willem Defoe's character.
For all the good Wonder Woman has done, the only serviceable villains in the current DCEU were Zod and Lex, and that's not exactly a high bar.
Why wouldn't be those enough villains? I bet Dafoe even dies in this movie.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So state of DCU

Good:

Aquaman solo
Wonderwoman solo
Man of Steel solo

Meh/Bad:

Justice League
Batman vs Superman

Atrocious:

Suicide Squad

There's gotta be a way to crawl back from this. You can't have good WW and Aquaman solo flicks and then blow it up. Smartest thing now I think would be to recast if you can't get Henry and Ben back and pretend nothing happened, and work on putting out strong new solo Batman and Superman flicks. Flat out recast bad roles ( Lex, Joker) and just let the audience be smart enough to know something wasn't working so it got changed.

Wasn't Man of Steel critically panned?

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Wasn't Man of Steel critically panned?
Critically, reviews of Man of Steel were split right down the middle. 56% on RT and a 55% on Metacritic. The movie was the definition of "divisive."

Lots of the general audience liked the movie too, but like with critic reviews, there were just as many people who didn't like it. And the people who didn't like it REALLY didn't like and would not shut up about how much they didn't like it.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Everything about this Fishman nonsense sounds ridiculous. No interest at all..... But if people are starting to say it's great, then fuck it, I'll give it a go if they made it work.