• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif
Nah. Would be bad. I don't want some mess of bullshit with different launchers.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Uff forgot about infinity blade... one of the only games that make me feel like wanting access to an iphone etc. (Along with rayman mini recently)
Hoped that would have been ported to android but guess that hope has been lost for a long time now.

Whatever if it affects just epic stuff, hope devs that use UE are still fine.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Sweeney is such a buffoon. There's no more perfect word for it.

Anyone viewing these antics and thinking that Epic is somehow in the midst of some giant chess game - literally has the mentality of a child.

This is like if someone stuck a gun in their waistband, blew off their own balls, got admitted to the hospital-and then someone else claimed it was all a long game to expose how expensive medical bills are.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sweeney at least is consistent, he's cling to the narrative no matter what.
It won't stick in court, tho.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

I just do not understand their "we're so innocent and naive" act. They knew exactly what they were doing every step of the way. They kept playing games by submitting builds they knew would be rejected. They are choosing to use their customers as pawns in a long game that I'm seriously not convinced they have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. It feels so personal at this point, like it's just Sweeney's very own axe to grind more than any other reason.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Then why file the TRO regarding Fortnite being taken off the store? I really doubt this is somehow still part of Epic's big 4D chess plan.
? Why would they not? Part of it got granted and the whole goal is to appeal every step of the way to legal systems until one agrees Apple needs to be regulated. Apple is already in hot water for antitrust stuff. Epic isn't crazy, they want to seal the deal that's already in the cards.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And that's why they are taking them to court for.
Why is it so hard to understand that this is exactly what they were expecting?

You can't break the terms of the contract and complain that you're suffering the effects of that breach because the terms themselves are unfair while the lawsuit is going on, that's not how this works.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Sony and Microsoft use a healthy chunk of their 30% cut to fund AAA game development. If we are going to reduce them to box makers, the costs of consoles is going to go up and they will have no incentive to invest in AAA.
Oh, it's pretty obvious consoles go away if this happens to them.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm sorry, but how was this considering platform warring and specially... how did it warrant a 1 month ban? People say the same things about EGS and Epic all the time here without any consequences. This place is getting really weird lately.
Seems pretty clear cut to me and did you actually real the entire message about why they were modded? Best to msg a mod and not discuss it here regardless.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
It's only a matter of time before app store monopolies are dismantled with enormous fines from the EU. Apple would be smart to get ahead of that instead of doing what they're presently doing.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Sweeney is such a buffoon. There's no more perfect word for it.

Anyone viewing these antics and thinking that Epic is somehow in the midst of some giant chess game - literally has the mentality of a child.

This is like if someone stuck a gun in their waistband, blew off their own balls, got admitted to the hospital-and then someone else claimed it was all a long game to expose how expensive medical bills are.

This is such an amazing & awesome analogy.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I don't know about "chess game", but Epic absolutely violated Apple's in-app purchases rule knowing it was extremely likely that Apple would respond the way they did - specifically BECAUSE they wanted to take this to court with standing, and hopefully get a watershed ruling that allows Epic to make a ton more money off of mobile games.

As for Sweeney, I suspect he's just blathering about it all on Twitter because he's Tim Sweeney, and that's what Tim does. He's clearly making a ham fisted effort to try and mobilize the fanbase of Fortnite against Apple, to try and force them to acquiesce.

I don't know why anyone is rooting for either side. Epic's motives may be transparently cynical, but Apple aren't the good guys here. I'd welcome a ruling that loosens their iron fisted control over the iOS marketplace, and it's hilarious that users of RESETERA, of all places, are saying "that's what you get when you break the rules, Epic!"

I'm old enough to remember a time when Apple would have criticized a tech company doing what modern Apple does. Especially in the late 90s and early 00s, in the heyday of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish"-era Microsoft.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about "chess game", but Epic absolutely violated Apple's in-app purchases rule knowing it was extremely likely that Apple would respond the way they did - specifically BECAUSE they wanted to take this to court with standing, and hopefully get a watershed ruling that allows Epic to make a ton more money off of mobile games.

As for Sweeney, I suspect he's just blathering about it all on Twitter because he's Tim Sweeney, and that's what Tim does. He's clearly making a ham fisted effort to try and mobilize the fanbase of Fortnite against Apple, to try and force them to acquiesce.

I don't know why anyone is rooting for either side. Epic's motives may be transparently cynical, but Apple aren't the good guys here. I'd welcome a ruling that loosens their iron fisted control over the iOS marketplace, and it's hilarious that users of RESETERA, of all places, are saying "that's what you get when you break the rules, Epic!"

I'm old enough to remember a time when Apple would have criticized a tech company doing what modern Apple does. Especially in the late 90s and early 00s, in the heyday of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish"-era Microsoft.

Both companies are so obscenely rich that I don't care who gets hurt monetarily-but any company that signs a contract, fragrantly breaks the contract, brags about it in public and then cries when they have to face consequences will never receive any pity or support from me.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Both companies are so obscenely rich that I don't care who gets hurt monetarily-but any company that signs a contract, fragrantly breaks the contract, brags about it in public and then cries when they have to face consequences will never receive any pity or support from me.

These are basically my exact sentiments.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So was there anything lost that still pulled significant revenue for Epic?
Infinity Blade is long gone and can't recall anything else.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I'm curious as to whether they are just locked out or whether their account has been deleted. The latter might mean even if they are allowed back on the store that it would be on a fresh account and all previous installs of their games are orphaned and can't be updated. You can transfer apps to new accounts but Apple would have to facilitate that in this case.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can we hope this lawsuit bleeds epics coffers enough so that can't afford to steal more games away from the superior store front Steam?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Could Tencent be the one actually « pulling the strings » and pushing Epic to go against Apple ?

I wondered this at first-like it was a ploy to install their spyware ridden software outside the scope of the App Store-but seeing Sweeney's original emails and his subsequent Twitter followups make me think he's the "mastermind" of this operation-and I use that term ironically. So if that's true-I really wonder what Tencent feels about Sweeney considered he just torpedoed a major revenue stream for them permanently by going off book-and consistently tarnishing the company's image daily.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Facebook also isn't very keen on Apple's policies:

www.macrumors.com

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg: Apple's App Store Blocks Innovation and Competition

In a company-wide meeting, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Thursday referred to Apple's App Store as monopolistic and harmful to customers. Apple...

I'll be sure to let Facebook know when I'm interested in their opinions on the ethics involved in a global company's vast overreach.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at Sweeney's comment. They chose to terminate their account based on their own terms and conditions that Epic has agreed to and more importantly a judge has made a specific order till the trial is carried out.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017