• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 396 63.7%
  • iPad

Votes: 450 72.3%
  • iPhone

Votes: 539 86.7%
  • Watch

Votes: 371 59.6%
  • Airpods

Votes: 409 65.8%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 312 50.2%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Is $285 for a good condition iPhone 7 Plus worth it from Apple? Can you get a lot more from other places?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Is $285 for a good condition iPhone 7 Plus worth it from Apple? Can you get a lot more from other places?

I feel like mine is pretty decent, has a few small scuffs and discoloring in the back I'm not even sure if it should trade that in as good and take a chance for the loss, or if I should just skip the trade in and try and sell that elsewhere like swappa.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like mine is pretty decent, has a few small scuffs and discoloring in the back I'm not even sure if it should trade that in as good and take a chance for the loss, or if I should just skip the trade in and try and sell that elsewhere like swappa.

You can trade it in at an Apple store if you have one nearby.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Went to the Apple store to drop off my
MacBook and played with the X. The glass back feels so much better than my 7+ and makes me want to just upgrade to the X, XS would be overkill I think.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
About two weeks after I bought my first MBP, one of the fans started to produce a low-volume buzzing noise. Support suggested I return it and exchange for a new one.

I heard people praised the MBPs for their build quality. I can attest to the build, but I can't say the same for the quality.

Oct 25, 2017
Gruber has spoken:
https://daringfireball.net/2018/09/iphone_xs_xr_series_4_apple_watch_event

I would argue that the landmark iPhone models were the original, the iPhone 4, the iPhone 6, and the iPhone X. It's kind of interesting to me how the Apple Watch's evolution has paralleled the iPhone's. A first-generation model that was like nothing seen before, good enough to change an entire industry but deeply flawed in certain obvious ways. Second and third generation models that simply address those obvious flaws. And then a fourth generation model that takes things to an altogether new level, particularly pertaining to the display and the physical case of the device.
AIRPOWER: I wrote about AirPower's absence earlier this week. What I've heard, third-hand but from multiple little birdies, is that AirPower really is well and truly fucked. Something about the multi-coil design getting too hot — way too hot. There are engineers who looked at AirPower's design and said it could never work, thermally, and now those same engineers have that "told you so" smug look on their faces. Last year Apple was apparently swayed by arguments that they could figure out a way to make it not get hot. They were, clearly, wrong. I think they've either had to go completely back to the drawing board and start over with an entirely different design, or they've decided to give up and they just don't want to say so.

Oct 27, 2017
Stolen from Asymco:

Screen-Shot-2018-09-13-at-8.42.33-AM-768x777.png

I didn't realise this, but it seems like the 128GB Xr is going to be cheaper than my 128GB 6s was when I got that at launch. I'm actually surprised that Apple is "only" charging 50 bucks there on the upsell. I'd really love to see their internal data and how much of a psychological barrier the price points are that made them green light that.

I read somewhere the other day that the 6s (and another model I can't remember right now) was the phone still in use the most, so it wouldn't surprise me for them to strategically price their Xr to people in the same price range they paid for that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
How does the Xr portrait mode work? If it doesn't need that second lens why include it on the Xs.

We'll have to see it in practice, but I imagine the XS portrait mode is going to work better or in more situations than the XR. Machine learning isn't magic.
Stolen from Asymco:

Screen-Shot-2018-09-13-at-8.42.33-AM-768x777.png

I didn't realise this, but it seems like the 128GB Xr is going to be cheaper than my 128GB 6s was when I got that at launch. I'm actually surprised that Apple is "only" charging 50 bucks there on the upsell. I'd really love to see their internal data and how much of a psychological barrier the price points are that made them green light that.

I read somewhere the other day that the 6s (and another model I can't remember right now) was the phone still in use the most, so it wouldn't surprise me for them to strategically price their Xr to people in the same price range they paid for that.

Thanks for the link. It's a more succinct and well-worded explanation for my own thoughts on the matter. Apple is definitely inflating the price a little and offering a higher end tier for goosing ASP, but it's done precisely because they know they can't keep selling most people on phones every year or every two years. That ship has sailed.

Even paying $1000 for an XS is going to work out to be less than what I paid for a 64GB iPhone 6 amortized over time, given that I can expect to use it longer than four years (and honestly if it weren't for the huge camera advantages I don't think my 6 feels all that slow, and I don't feel the crunch of 1GB of RAM all that much either.)

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with buying an iPhone at launch is that the case selection isn't what it will be in a month or two.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for iOS 13 to bring a dark mode at last and improve the OLED iPhones battery.

With any luck it would come already in 12. something.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
How do I remove these extra Apple TVs from my Airplay list?

The first "Living Room" is my 4K one. The "Apple TV" entry is my older gen that I had disabled, reset, and sold off. And then the last one, I don't know why it's there.

2G6rYX7.png

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
How do I remove these extra Apple TVs from my Airplay list?

The first "Living Room" is my 4K one. The "Apple TV" entry is my older gen that I had disabled, reset, and sold off. And then the last one, I don't know why it's there.

2G6rYX7.png
That's weird, doesn't it scan for AirPlay targets? Mine doesn't even show up when my TV area is off. Tried rebooting your phone/router and have checked if there a ghost entries in your router for any AppleTV devices?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
That's weird, doesn't it scan for AirPlay targets? Mine doesn't even show up when my TV area is off. Tried rebooting your phone/router and have checked if there a ghost entries in your router for any AppleTV devices?
It's been like this for months actually... so it's gone through reboots, iOS upgrades, etc.

I'll check my router entries though.
And yeah, I figured it would just scan what's available.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just got whatever review sites said were good in the minus 20 pound range. The price Apple try to charge for their rubber bands in particular is comical.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this article has been posted or not, but Steven Levy has published a great article containing quotes from people who are working at Apple or ex-Apple employees on their experiences at working at Infinite Loop.

Here is the link: https://www.wired.com/story/apple-infinite-loop-oral-history/
This is a fascinating article, thanks for posting it!

Only when displaying a lot of pitch black pixels (not just dark colors), so it really depends on the use case.
There's actually been significant progress made by Samsung to get power consumption down to better-than-LCD levels. DisplayMate has this to say about modern OLED panels:

As the result of their very versatile power management capabilities, OLEDs are not only more power efficient than LCDs for most image content, but they now deliver much higher peak Brightness than LCDs because the maximum power can be delivered to just the sub-pixels that are needed for producing the current image. However, for mostly all white screen content LCDs are likely to remain brighter and more power efficient for a while.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So do we have any idea of what's coming with this year's iMacs, assuming they get a 2018 refresh?

I've mentioned this a few times in this thread, but I'd really like to move my parents off their almost decade-old Acer PC and onto a 21.5" iMac. I went back and forth on whether I was gonna go for a Fusion drive or go whole-hog on a SSD and I figured I'd just splurge on the SSD, as it would likely lengthen the life of the computer in the end anyway.

My parents are both in their 70s so I'm thinking a retina display would make reading things easier on their eyes, so I'm probably going with that as well over the standard 1080p model unless I can find a crazy deal on the 1080p model.

I went over the various resellers and this is what I came up with:

21.5-inch iMac / 3.0Ghz i5 / 256GB SSD / 8GB RAM
Apple (Refurb) $1269.00 ($1385.75 after tax)
B&H $1399.00 (No tax)
Adorama (New) $1479.00 (No tax)
Macmall $1499.00 (No tax)
Apple (New) $1499.00 ($1646.91 after tax)
Best Buy [Not Available]

sQP9P8El.png

It's looking like Apple's refurbished price is my best bet. It's not in-stock as of this post but it was definitely there on Friday afternoon, so it's something that comes in and out of stock. So this prompts four questions:

1) Does anyone think that that a hypothetical 2018 iMac would introduce any major changes or revisions that's worth waiting it out and paying full MSRP for?

2) I can answer this one myself, but does anyone think that the cost of SSD upgrades for the iMac are going to come down in price? Alternatively, does anyone think that by some minor miracle that the SSD drive will become standard across the line?

3) Do the prices on previous model refurbished units drop when new computers are released? I noticed that the Series 1 refurbished Apple Watch went down from $209 to $169, so I assume the iMac models would do the same. If so, I can just wait for the 2018 announcements and hopefully grab the 2017 model for a bit cheaper than its current $1269 price, but I risk missing out on it completely if it sells out and doesn't get replenished.

4) What's Apple price policy and does it apply to refurbished hardware? If I grab the refurb 2017 model at $1269 and it goes down in price, would Apple refund me the difference?

Just thought I'd pick a few brains before I made any decisions on the matter. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fascinating article, thanks for posting it!

There's actually been significant progress made by Samsung to get power consumption down to better-than-LCD levels. DisplayMate has this to say about modern OLED panels:

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

And if more apps/Apple offers a dark mode, there's instant power savings that won't be there with LCD. I'm hedging my bets that will be the case.

So do we have any idea of what's coming with this year's iMacs, assuming they get a 2018 refresh?

I've mentioned this a few times in this thread, but I'd really like to move my parents off their almost decade-old Acer PC and onto a 21.5" iMac. I went back and forth on whether I was gonna go for a Fusion drive or go whole-hog on a SSD and I figured I'd just splurge on the SSD, as it would likely lengthen the life of the computer in the end anyway.

My parents are both in their 70s so I'm thinking a retina display would make reading things easier on their eyes, so I'm probably going with that as well over the standard 1080p model unless I can find a crazy deal on the 1080p model.

I went over the various resellers and this is what I came up with:

21.5-inch iMac / 3.0Ghz i5 / 256GB SSD / 8GB RAM
Apple (Refurb) $1269.00 ($1385.75 after tax)
B&H $1399.00 (No tax)
Adorama (New) $1479.00 (No tax)
Macmall $1499.00 (No tax)
Apple (New) $1499.00 ($1646.91 after tax)
Best Buy [Not Available]

sQP9P8El.png

It's looking like Apple's refurbished price is my best bet. It's not in-stock as of this post but it was definitely there on Friday afternoon, so it's something that comes in and out of stock. So this prompts four questions:

1) Does anyone think that that a hypothetical 2018 iMac would introduce any major changes or revisions that's worth waiting it out and paying full MSRP for?

2) I can answer this one myself, but does anyone think that the cost of SSD upgrades for the iMac are going to come down in price? Alternatively, does anyone think that by some minor miracle that the SSD drive will become standard across the line?

3) Do the prices on previous model refurbished units drop when new computers are released? I noticed that the Series 1 refurbished Apple Watch went down from $209 to $169, so I assume the iMac models would do the same. If so, I can just wait for the 2018 announcements and hopefully grab the 2017 model for a bit cheaper than its current $1269 price, but I risk missing out on it completely if it sells out and doesn't get replenished.

4) What's Apple price policy and does it apply to refurbished hardware? If I grab the refurb 2017 model at $1269 and it goes down in price, would Apple refund me the difference?

Just thought I'd pick a few brains before I made any decisions on the matter. Thanks.

It's hard to say exactly what will happen with the new iMacs, but similarly to the MBP I imagine a lot of models are going to get core bumps. Probably doesn't matter for your parents though, and any GPU gains likewise won't compare to the dGPU in that model anyhow. Since the screens are already P3 I can't imagine the next one will be substantially better.

Unless Apple goes with SATAIII SSDs, I don't see them doing the right thing and just making flash standard, let alone fusion. This is something they should have done three years ago by now, but c'est la vie.

Old models do get a markdown when the new ones come out (I picked up my 2014 MBP after the 2015 models to save a bit more) but the window is small and as always constrained by whatever is available in the refurb section.

No idea about the price saving; gut reaction is that they wouldn't but who knows.

Last edited:

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Has Apple given any indication or is anyone familiar with how these things usually work as to when the new lineup will be in store to demo? The XR is the closest thing to my desired specs and price, but I really want to try it in-hand before making any decisions because I really haven't liked huge phones in the past. I've had a Nexus 6P before and while I liked the phone I really grew to dislike the form factor. I'm hoping it won't be as annoying with the XR though, because it is a little smaller and the 6P felt really top heavy, where as the Plus iPhones have traditionally felt much more distributed with the weight. And of course iOS in general has favored UI and navigation elements on the bottom or with gestures rather than in the top corners, along with the reachability feature.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has Apple given any indication or is anyone familiar with how these things usually work as to when the new lineup will be in store to demo? The XR is the closest thing to my desired specs and price, but I really want to try it in-hand before making any decisions because I really haven't liked huge phones in the past. I've had a Nexus 6P before and while I liked the phone I really grew to dislike the form factor. I'm hoping it won't be as annoying with the XR though, because it is a little smaller and the 6P felt really top heavy, where as the Plus iPhones have traditionally felt much more distributed with the weight. And of course iOS in general has favored UI and navigation elements on the bottom or with gestures rather than in the top corners, along with the reachability feature.

XR won't be in store until launch, October 26

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, did they bump the Apple Care prices for Watch just this year or was it already with series 3? It's now 100€... I paid 60 or 70€ for my coverage in early 2017.
Yuck

E: Seems like it was this year with the Series 4.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
How long does it take Twelve South usually to offer cases for new iPhones? I know they are dealing with the hurricane right now.

Do they usually take weeks or months? I want to try out a bookbook for my new XS Max.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I might buy a Peel case soon, they're cheaper than Silicone cases I think and I like them. However, mine went to shit after one little drop so I have to think about it.

XS is exactly the same size as X right?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For Apple Watch Series 4 - will EKG be disabled outside of the US, or it'll let you do them but they aren't certified for doctor use?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's hard to say exactly what will happen with the new iMacs, but similarly to the MBP I imagine a lot of models are going to get core bumps. Probably doesn't matter for your parents though, and any GPU gains likewise won't compare to the dGPU in that model anyhow. Since the screens are already P3 I can't imagine the next one will be substantially better.

Unless Apple goes with SATAIII SSDs, I don't see them doing the right thing and just making flash standard, let alone fusion. This is something they should have done three years ago by now, but c'est la vie.

Old models do get a markdown when the new ones come out (I picked up my 2014 MBP after the 2015 models to save a bit more) but the window is small and as always constrained by whatever is available in the refurb section.

No idea about the price saving; gut reaction is that they wouldn't but who knows.

Half of my brain is just telling me to pick up the 256GB SSD model (when it pops back up in the refurb store) and be done with it, but the other half of my brain is telling me to wait it out in case that same model's refurb offering gets a small price cut.

I'm not quite as concerned about the 2018 model at this point. I doubt there's much they could add to make paying full price worth it, and refurbs for the 2018 models wouldn't pop up into well into 2019.

I just want a 256GB SSD 21'.5" Retina iMac for the best possible price.

Oct 25, 2017
Half of my brain is just telling me to pick up the 256GB SSD model (when it pops back up in the refurb store) and be done with it, but the other half of my brain is telling me to wait it out in case that same model's refurb offering gets a small price cut.

I'm not quite as concerned about the 2018 model at this point. I doubt there's much they could add to make paying full price worth it, and refurbs for the 2018 models wouldn't pop up into well into 2019.

Only possible benefit of waiting for the 2018 refurbs is if price differences mean there will be more offerings with SSDs. But I'm generally of the mind that you buy what you need when you need it (save for "two weeks before Apple is most likely going to release new stuff.")

Speaking of cases and screen protectors—anyone have any knowledge or experience with stuff like this: https://www.spigen.com/collections/iphone-x/products/screen-protector-glas-tr-nano-liquid (basically an appliqué to the screen versus a thicker tempered glass screen protector?)

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like my 7+ dies pretty quickly, and I think it's saying my Skype app is being used in the background a lot -_-.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Now that there is a podcasts complication, I gave it a spin.

So... Apple podcasts app is really not very good. Somehow I have over 100 episodes of the Bombcast in my list, and there's no apparent way to delete a bunch of them at once. Plus, for some reason they appear in a list with the oldest at the top on the watch. The app doesn't offer a way to, say, just keep the most recent 5 podcasts at all times.

I guess I'm sticking with overcast. My only real issue with overcast is it doesn't let you adjust the volume from the watch.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that there is a podcasts complication, I gave it a spin.

So... Apple podcasts app is really not very good. Somehow I have over 100 episodes of the Bombcast in my list, and there's no apparent way to delete a bunch of them at once. Plus, for some reason they appear in a list with the oldest at the top on the watch. The app doesn't offer a way to, say, just keep the most recent 5 podcasts at all times.

I guess I'm sticking with overcast. My only real issue with overcast is it doesn't let you adjust the volume from the watch.

watchOS 5 lets Overcast do that now