• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just joshing...I think these threads are kinda ridiculous. Dunno why capitalist giants fighting is this interesting.
Well on a primarily gaming forum really there's only one way the convo is going to go which is thinly veiled Tim Sweeney and epic insults while apple is somehow the good guys. I mean tim apple deserves it for once no one gives him enough credit.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Epic biting off *way* more than he can chew. I don't see how he thought he had any semblance of a case, when his entire strategy was contractually sharting himself with all the leverage of a doorstopper. The contract was initially stipulated, Tim bypassed it, broke the contract, and thought he had the moral high ground. It's not going to work out well for him.

Unlike a big chunk of his audience, slipping the judge a few free games and $10 coupons won't sway her opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Epic is now reaching panel #3 in this comic...
z4X18UI.jpg

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
people defending apple here really makes me sick

they're trying to lay claim on purchases done outside of their systems, handled off their servers, delivered and distributed off their servers.

they are crying that epic is "stealing" just because the game is running on an apple device. that's it. Apple is not a party to the financial transaction, nor should they be. They're just angry that the store owner is trying to stop the mob from getting their cut. Epic would prefer to use another storefront... but they can't. Hell, the App Store wasn't even the first store on iOS. It was Cydia. So after they started to find great success, Apple turned around and now forced themselves to be the only option under the cloak of "security".

Stop defending Apple.

They need to be forced to offer competing storefronts. It's been anti-competitive from the very start.

Yes, Epic violated the terms of service. But Apple is guilty of a far more insidious crime.
Except Epic actively circumvented Apple. Epic was supposed to allow the same purchasing options in-app as they do off app. They removed in app to circumvent Apple. Apple isn't saying Epic owes them for off app sales, they're saying Epic breached their contract to not have to pay Apple.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Stealing definitely doesn't sound like the right word to use. Epic didn't even make more money off of each transaction because they lowered their prices accordingly.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Other than 'yikes', 'monopoly' must be the most misused word on Era.

People don't seem to understand that monopoly is a technical term, and it doesn't just mean a giant corporation you dislike.

The actually be ruled in court as a monopoly is incredibly rare -- and there's no way that Apple is a monopoly in the traditionally understood sense.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stealing definitely doesn't sound like the right word to use. Epic didn't even make more money off of each transaction because they lowered their prices accordingly.
The more appropriate word is 'conversion'. Per their contract, Apple was due 30% of IAPs -- and since Epic enabled non-Apple IAPs in Fortnite iOS, Epic 'converted' money that was due to be Apple's into theirs by not using Apple IAP.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017

CNN used the word stealing. Apple is seeking damages. It's not about Epic not making more, but Epic breaking the contract they have with Apple.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Apple charges 30%. Epic sold for 20% off. Credit card fees are ~3%.

Where did the other 7% go? Into Epic's pockets. Just like the extra 27% went to Epic on PC before they pulled this stunt.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
While I also hate the 30% cut (few digital storefronts actually earn it and Apple isn't one of them IMO), fuck them both for this shitshow.

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017
Apple gains nothing if they allow that. Epic risks less exposure, but what does Apple care to gain? If Epic wants to circumvent app and google store fees, the only way is to come out with an Epic phone which they need to spend millions to RnD, market, provide hardware support, OS support, and manufacturing agreements themselves.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, that would be my ideal scenario. Not the ideal scenario for any one of Apple, Epic or users.

In that scenario, Apple doesn't gain anything compared to a world where Fortnite is in the App Store and all payments go through Apple, but IMO they don't lose a whole lot. Maybe they lose out of on some Fortnite revenue, but that's not worse than the current situation where Fortnite is banned, and it's clear that Apple is willing to forgo that revenue to enforce their terms. I suspect if the side loading process isn't simple (i.e. requires syncing from a computer to side load), Epic might have a version of the game on the App Store and most people will end up using the App Store version of the game anyway. IMO it's a win for Epic since they have options now, it's a win for the consumer since we have options now, and it's arguably a win for Apple if Epic decides to create an App Store compliant version of Fortnite vs having no Fortnite at all.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no skin in the fight, but this dragged out cat fight just underlines day after day just how greedy those corporations can be.
Fuck them both.

Jun 20, 2019
Haven't watched Hoeg (I will tonight) but I assume this is Apple's strategy for arguing that the 30% commission isn't an "Apple Pay transaction fee", it's the cost of doing business on the App Store.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say some semblance of curation (though no-one seems to do that except EGS I think?), storefront tools, guidance/help for devs, etc. I go back and forth on whether or not Steam earns it.

Also check out:

www.polygon.com

Does Valve deserve Steam’s 30 percent cut? Many developers say no

The platform wars are heating up on PC

Apple has editor's picks on App Store so it's clearly curated. Also personalization to the user as evidenced by their keynote speeches. There was also an article a few years back about how they combat fraud to manipulate search results. They provide developer tools, they have developed a language (swift) for people to build applications easily, they have metal for running games with GPU-like processing. If you follow their WWDC conferences (as I do, being a developer) they talk about all the tools they build for developers and a lot of platform features.

7YXqQEfX_o.png

Last edited:

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say some semblance of curation (though no-one seems to do that except EGS I think?), storefront tools, guidance/help for devs, etc.
This is straight up not true, what do you think WWDC is for? there are hundreds of hours of developer sessions going through how to utilize their APIs in addition to documentation. There's definitely curation going on as well (where do you think the game and app of the day come from?).

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
Apple has editor's picks on App Store so it's clearly curated.
There's definitely curation going on as well (where do you think the game and app of the day come from?).

There are on average over 1,000 apps released every day on the App Store. Am handful of picks or an app of the day isn't nearly enough.

www.statista.com

Number of monthly iOS app releases worldwide 2024 | Statista

In February 2024, approximately 37 thousand mobile apps were released through the Apple App Store.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Point of Comparison
People who cheer for apple in this are like poor people voting for Republicans. Whatever you think of epic, apple and co's control over these markets is anti competitive and unreasonable.

Jun 20, 2019
Apple does say in the complaint that Epic's actions are basically theft. Yes, they use the word "theft".

Apple also argues that Epic's claim, if successful, would undermine the entire walled garden business model and that the consequence of that wouldn't be limited to just phones; in other words, they say that the business model of building an integrated hardware/software operating environment and then selling access is an extremely common model and that the judge would upend a huge portion of the digital economy by agreeing with Epic's claims.

In other words, they are indirectly saying Epic's claims would kill consoles.

Jun 20, 2019
People who cheer for apple in this are like poor people voting for Republicans. Whatever you think of epic, apple and co's control over these markets is anti competitive and unreasonable.
Apple states in their counterclaim that Epic offers Fortnite on six different digital platforms. What control, exactly, does Apple have over Epic beyond normal business dealings?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Point of Comparison

Bernie bros for trickle down Applenomics is a popular combo here.

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
What do you suggest they should to do instead?

Not allow crappy apps they don't want. It's their storefront that they built, they can choose what goes on the digital shelf. Issue is you can miss out on a lot of money doing so, so I understand why they have an "open the floodgates" approach.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Apple does say in the complaint that Epic's actions are basically theft. Yes, they use the word "theft".

Apple also argues that Epic's claim, if successful, would undermine the entire walled garden business model and that the consequence of that wouldn't be limited to just phones; in other words, they say that the business model of building an integrated hardware/software operating environment and then selling access is an extremely common model and that the judge would upend a huge portion of the digital economy by agreeing with Epic's claims.

In other words, they are indirectly saying Epic's claims would kill consoles.

Of course apple would equate an essential service like internet and phone access to video game consoles.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
They will die together this way. But this is the true sequel to Alien vs. Predator. It doesn't matter who wins, we have already lost.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping Sweeney has to eat some humble pie for his stupid PR stunt.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019
Of course apple would equate an essential service like internet and phone access to video game consoles.
Their point is the law makes no distinction between a phone and a console.

Oh and, by the way, one of the chief arguments for home brew is that it allows a console to be used as a general-purpose computing device, which is artificially restricted by the manufacturer's grip on approving signed software.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Their point is the law makes no distinction between a phone and a console.

Oh and, by the way, one of the chief arguments for home brew is that it allows a console to be used as a general-purpose computing device, which is artificially restricted by the manufacturer's grip on approving signed software.

There are millions of people that only have voice and data on their phone. It's an essential device. Going out of your way to to take a relatively niche product and make it into general purpose, well then I don't see the issue, it's rooted so you can do anything. The console firmware is not essential. That would be like Apple getting angry that someone is using Linux on an ipad instead of buying the same app in the apple store.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
what epic is arguing is that they do not need to pay rent to a building that apple built and services and that apple is not allowed to evict epic when they willfully breach contract by sub renting its apartment, and then argue that apple should allow epic to hijack the building to do its own renting business without them having to pay apple anything for use of the building.

This is not about apples evil, nor its about epics "goodness" its about that specific case and you can totally agree that apple has a foot to stand on in this fight, while still think they are a shitty company.