• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Apple on Tuesday counter-sued Epic Games, accusing the maker of the popular online video game Fortnite of stealing the 30% commissions the iPhone maker takes from app developers.

In a court filing, Apple accused Epic of "self-help and subterfuge" as it embarked on a plan of alleged "commission-theft" by including a workaround in Fortnite that gave players a discount on in-game currency if they paid Epic directly.

Apple is seeking a judgment from Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers finding that Epic breached its developer contract with Apple, as well as monetary damages.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Epic definitely breached the contract and Epic's only foot to stand on is "they shouldn't be charging 30% we should get more money"

Don't see how a judge rules in Epic's favor on this counter-sue...it's pretty open and shut (not a lawyer)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Apple would do this if they didn't think they had a hell of a leg to stand on. They know that they're under scrutiny with the App Store.

Epic's position is "well, you shouldn't get to take such a big cut!" and Apple's is "well, that's the agreement you signed." One of those will probably do better in court.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Epic breached the contract they willingly went into. Epic probably expected/gambled on bigger social media pressure to be on their side.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is going to have to prove people would have made the same transactions if there was a 30% surcharge which is going to be tough.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
the back and forth in this is interesting to see.
Sounds like if anything Epic and Apple has soured their relationship on anything for a while

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
x1080

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Will watch this case as well but as I said when Epic sued. I really don't care about a pissing match between two large megacorporation's.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no lawyer but this sounds like a stretch. Breach of contract is obvious but theft is a bit much.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Yay for our corporate overlords throwing a hissy fit.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
breached the contract

no lies detected

I still don't like it, but epic signed the damn ToS in the first place.....Tim is a fucking moron

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to wager this countersuit will be thrown out. It seems utterly ridiculous.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
man, when you put it like that...

was Tim secretly stupid all along?
The problem is they probably didn't physically sign anything, it was just a virtual checkbox on the terms. Unless it's different for these big companies. I'm sure most people don't really take those terms seriously. Not that they shouldn't, but they probably don't view as as "legally binding" or whatever.

I'm no lawyer but this sounds like a stretch. Breach of contract is obvious but theft is a bit much.
I think it's "stealing" because they actively tried to circumvent paying Apple and have the money "re-rerouted". It would probably just be a breach of contact if paying Apple their 30% wasn't part of the original transaction and they never wrote Apple their check.

But I'm no lawyer as well so wtf do I know.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Apple is going to have to prove people would have made the same transactions if there was a 30% surcharge which is going to be tough.
I was gonna say... This seems a little silly since they'd have to prove that the 20% sale was what made people buy the vbucks to begin with little to no other factors playing in.