Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine reading that email from Tim Sweeney and still thinking that he won't attempt to do the same with consoles lol

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
An email so correct it shows Apple is the one that actually controls Android customers choice of app store and payment processing system.

There were 2 emails before they were kicked out. One asking for a special deal and another telling Apple they willingly broke the agreement.

Edit: Second email when they broke the agreement:

unknown.png

Lol, this is satirical reality at its best.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ah ok see this is why I hesitated to pass judgment so quickly. This isn't as pathetic as the thread title suggests. Apple's legal team working in tandem with the PR department i see
This. None of these emails constitute a "special deal" for Epic. They are all framed in the same way as the suit and public positioning against Apple's restrictions on app installation and payment processing on iOS.
The email specifically asks about opening another store to devs or sending Epic a specific side agreement outside the standard App Store terms. He absolutely was saying he was interested in a deal that would just satisfy Epic.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
But Tim says in the e-mail he hopes Apple rolls the feature to all developers. He was seeking a deal, sure, but Apple is really framing this situation in a way that doesn't exactly describe what happened.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
And people thought he was doing it for the benefit of all app makers?

He is exploting his army of kids to get a special deal.

This is so embarassing for Epic....what a joke they are

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

Since when did Apple ever support "building open platforms"? Since their conception, they have been a purposefully closed ecosystem - both software and hardware - both as PC and Phone. It's pretty obvious that they won't change that, and any side-deal here wouldn't be in alignment with their long-term view around their business. Not sure what Epic or tim thought would happen here... Not a fan of Apple at all (All hail Amiga!!) - but creating a separate paywall within Apple's was bound to fail.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
People defending Epic trying to get a special deal?

Lots of misunderstanding in here, this is literally the relief stated in the suit. Of course epic went to apple first before seeking legal action
Ah ok see this is why I hesitated to pass judgment so quickly. This isn't as pathetic as the thread title suggests. Apple's legal team working in tandem with the PR department i see
They got a "no", went rogue and Apple did what they had to do: enforce the terms Epic agreed to.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It specifies opening Epic own store to other devs. Not opening the loophole to other devs. Epic asked for an exeption to be made for them.

"Epic is requesting that Apple agree in principle to permit Epic to roll out these options for the benfit of all iOS customers. We hope that Apple will also make these options equally available to all IOS developers."

I feel like this line is important here, as Sweeney likes to weasel his words all the time. This is pretty specific and pointed though which I is on purpose.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Since when did Apple ever support "building open platforms"? Since their conception, they have been a purposefully closed ecosystem - both software and hardware - both as PC and Phone. It's pretty obvious that they won't change that, and any side-deal here wouldn't be in alignment with their long-term view around their business. Not sure what Epic or tim thought would happen here... Not a fan of Apple at all (All hail Amiga!!) - but creating a separate paywall within Apple's was bound to fail.
Taking into account that the first email has an errata were it says Apple controls Android (last paragraph), I must bet on these emails being copy pasted to both Google and Apple.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
But Tim says in the e-mail he hopes Apple rolls the feature to all developers. He was seeking a deal, sure, but Apple is really framing this situation in a way that doesn't exactly describe what happened.
What's incorrect here? He clearly says Epic would take a special deal and set of agreements for themselves to end this. He was not fighting for all devs initially and offered to take special terms for Epic.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
"Epic is requesting that Apple agree in principle to permit Epic to roll out these options for the benfit of all iOS customers. We hope that Apple will also make these options equally available to all IOS developers."

I feel like this line is important here, as Sweeney likes to weasel his words all the time. This is pretty specific and pointed though which I is on purpose.
The email read to me that they want to get a special deal first and foremost and then he gave himself a little loophole of "oh yeah, them too." Both companies are just beating their chest at his point and trying to see who backs down first.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
What's incorrect here? He clearly says Epic would take a special deal and set of agreements for themselves to end this. He was not fighting for all devs initially and offered to take special terms for Epic.

"On June 30, 2020, Epic's CEO Tim Sweeney wrote my colleagues and me an email asking for a 'side letter' from Apple that would create a special deal for only Epic that would fundamentally change the way in which Epic offers apps on Apple's iOS platform," former Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller wrote in a declaration. Schiller, whose title is now Fellow, runs Apple's App Store.

While I agree Tim was looking for a deal, he states in the e-mail that he hopes Apple "makes these options equally available to all iOS developers", not only to Epic as Phil Schiller said there.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
He wants Apple to open up the option to give Indie Devs the ability to use their own payment processor (they don't have one) and side load their own App Store (they don't have one). Totally Epic fighting for the little guy!
That seems to be a bit of a bitch eating cracker statement. They want the walled garden down for everyone

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That seems to be a bit of a bitch eating cracker statement. They want the walled garden down for everyone

Epic wants the walled garden down enough where they benefit. They want indie devs on their iOS App Store using their payment processor.

The "little guy" gets nothing from Apple dropping the walled garden.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Seems you didn't. They offer the same lies said to justify EGS. Still waiting for those supposed lower prices, 60 bucks games say hi.
?? This makes no sense. I didn't read the letter because EGS didn't lower their games from 60 bucks. Right. The savings they are talking about in this letter already happened btw, the microtransactions were 20% off.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This has nothing to do with the fact he said he would like a deal for just Epic and would like a side letter to allow special permissions for Epic. He was never originally setting terms to fight for all devs. His original terms were in acceptance of allowing Epic a special set of agreements and use of hosting on the App Store without charge.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Read the letter again.

FynYF20.png

He's using Epic in Name because it's his company and obviously he can't speak in name of others when setting demands. He's asking for options for _all_ ios developers. Very clearly so.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
LUvTmmgY_o.jpeg

the Apple letter also points out (a bit further down from the screenshot) that this would impact microsoft, Sony and Nintendo as well

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Epic wants the walled garden down enough where they benefit. They want indie devs on their iOS App Store using their payment processor.

The "little guy" gets nothing from Apple dropping the walled garden.
This has been said before insinuated before but if a developer doesn't have to adhere to Apple's currently strict rules and % cut, how do they genuinely not benefit from that?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Lol? Really?

Android allowed to sideload the game just fine before it was on the Play Store. They also sued Google for taking them down after breaking the Google Play Developer agreement they AGREED to.

And lol, claiming they want the walled garden down when they are creating their own walled garden in PC with exclusives and uh, the lack of even playing with Steam copies on PC until recently?

Bruh, let go of the Epic Kool aid.