• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
I bought one of these Gamevice controllers second hand for my iPad and whilst it feels a bit clunky, proper hardwired controls paired with that screen is amazing for something like Sayonara.

I've used my iPad more this week than I have since the first week I got it.

I've got the iPhone version, it's great. Literally the only negative I can think of is the analogue sticks don't click in, so no L3/R3 support in games that make use of it (although as of yet, I haven't come across any!).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why it took me so long to pair my PS4 controller to my phone, but this is awesome. :)

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Been enjoying the hell out of Apple Arcade. Stuff that I've played that's been fun and want to play more of: Sayonara, What the Golf, Oceanhorn, Cat Quest II, Grindstone. And there's a good amount of others I haven't touched yet, but want to. It's very refreshing to load up all of these games and not see a single MTX, or energy bar equivalent, ads, etc. Looks like I've got another subscription in my rotation haha

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played through the entirety of Sayonara Wild Hearts last night on my iPad pro, with DS4 and my headphones. I didn't notice any input lag, both the controller and headphones were bluetooth.

Really incredible game, and I'm glad I shot through it all in one sitting. It does a great job of mixing up the gameplay styles while still building on lessons from previous levels. The soundtrack of course is really great, I'm sure I'll be listening to it a bit before my next playthrough. I did get stuck on a couple minor sections and it is nice that they give you the option to skip if you die too many times, although I never used it.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
Apple TV also sips power for video streaming, if being eco-friendly is something you care about. Like, compared to consoles, it's an absolute lean machine for doing streaming.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV 4K is a great box with a good processor, but feels like we're due for a new one soon-ish? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope so, the older processor works well, but being a couple gens behind really shows when it's the one device that you'd want to see on a massive screen. Hot Lava looked pretty ugly on Apple TV 4K, it's running at a super low res

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you guys mentioned Apple TV 4K as I was planning to buy one when i next get paid. I will likely wait for the next model if its around the corner.

buzzjive

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone noticing any input latency when using a PS4 pad with Apple TV? I'm not 100% sure but sometimes it just doesn't feel quite right.

What model? The HD has Bluetooth 4 and the 4k has Bluetooth 5. I've noticed that the controller being blocked from a direct signal to the Apple TV by anything (under a wooden table for example) gives the HD Bluetooth more problems. I haven't had problems with the 4k but I haven't played much on the 4k yet either.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I tried Sayonara Wild Hearts on the Apple TV 4K with a ps4 controller. I didn't measure input lag specifically but the controls felt far too sluggish for a game that required quick reflexes that I ended up giving up on it.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
What is everyone's set-up? I have an iPhone 7+, iPad(2018) and AppleTV 4K (65"B7A OLED w/surround). All are paired with an xbox one controller. I really like that there are games that I have found are ideal for each option. I also got a controller clip for the phone (SteelSeries smartgrip), which while not perfect for holding an xbox controller (blocks the data port), still manages to do the job of securely holding the phone. Does anyone know of a better clip option for xbox controller?

OP
OP
infiniteloop

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly playing on a 12.9inch iPad Pro with a Nimbus. I bought a DS4 but it didn't come with a charger lol

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, according to the all games section, What The Golf was released today.
What's the point of them putting already released games in that list with faked release dates? Is it to try and look as if new games are being released when they're not?

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Jenny LeClue. It's without a doubt the best adventure game I have played in years, and the best indie since Night in the Woods. Top-notch visuals and writing. The music could have been better. This is a must-play guys if you like narrative-driven games.

pqhMD8X.jpg

bUPwnJj.jpg

igvb5Yc.jpg

buzzjive

Oct 31, 2017
How is the performance with games on an apple TV 4k? I currently have the HD model and performance in games like oceanhorn is rooough.

It's going to be different on a game by game basis, but in general the 4k is 2+ years newer tech than the HD - so 2+ iPhone generations newer (A8 vs A10x). It also has more RAM (3 Gigs vs 2 Gigs) and supports higher resolution. So the chipset plus the resolution will be used by the different games differently.

Shinsekai for instance runs at about 720p (not entirely sure, but is sub 1080 for sure) on the HD and gives you the option of 900p or 1080p on the 4k - plus you can set AA on both, but Ambient Occlusion on the 4k only.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Sayonara Wild Hears is amazing. Love the aesthetic, soundtrack and gameplay. Requires a decent reflex, but I find it quite relaxing. Not to say cathartic, lol.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Apple is so good with aesthetics. The Arcade Store is so damn good looking. So slick!

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be different on a game by game basis, but in general the 4k is 2+ years newer tech than the HD - so 2+ iPhone generations newer (A8 vs A10x). It also has more RAM (3 Gigs vs 2 Gigs) and supports higher resolution. So the chipset plus the resolution will be used by the different games differently.

Shinsekai for instance runs at about 720p (not entirely sure, but is sub 1080 for sure) on the HD and gives you the option of 900p or 1080p on the 4k - plus you can set AA on both, but Ambient Occlusion on the 4k only.

I wound us stopping by best buy on the way home and picked up the 4k model. I definitely notice the difference right off the bat with everything. So this will hold me over until I eventually go back to iPhones lol

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
How long is Grindstrone? I'm up to lvl 61 now and it looks like it goes up to at least 90. Huge game.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Apple TV users! Have you noticed input lag with the DS4 gamepad? I had button presses with significant delay in Sonic 1&2 and Shantae.

Otherwise I'm super impressed with gamepad support on the Apple TV. It makes me glad I opted for the larger storage when I bought the Apple TV years ago.

buzzjive

Oct 31, 2017
Apple TV users! Have you noticed input lag with the DS4 gamepad? I had button presses with significant delay in Sonic 1&2 and Shantae.

Otherwise I'm super impressed with gamepad support on the Apple TV. It makes me glad I opted for the larger storage when I bought the Apple TV years ago.

Go back in the thread a little bit. There's another person with issues as well. Here's my response:

What model? The HD has Bluetooth 4 and the 4k has Bluetooth 5. I've noticed that the controller being blocked from a direct signal to the Apple TV by anything (under a wooden table for example) gives the HD Bluetooth more problems. I haven't had problems with the 4k but I haven't played much on the 4k yet either.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Go back in the thread a little bit. There's another person with issues as well. Here's my response:

I have direct line of sight and it's the HD model. Interesting to know that some other folk have no problems at all.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Having a blast with the service on Apple TV 4K. I'm glad Xbox One and PS4 controllers are supported. Everything is so seamless and the games are really fun from the selection of games I've played so far.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Honestly it might be shallow but I won't keep this service if they don't allow me to play my podcast while playing...

Like why can't I listen to a podcast while I play exit the Gungeon or what the golf like come on come on!! I'm playing on an all for one device, hell my Xbox would let me play Spotify during gears if I wanted to. It's just really really annoying and is honestly a deal breaker!

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow

It's the 4K version. GalacticMouse suggested checking if my TV was set to game mode on the Apple TV input - it wasn't. Tried a quick test with it enabled and it seems better. Thanks :)

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly it might be shallow but I won't keep this service if they don't allow me to play my podcast while playing...

Like why can't I listen to a podcast while I play exit the Gungeon or what the golf like come on come on!! I'm playing on an all for one device, hell my Xbox would let me play Spotify during gears if I wanted to. It's just really really annoying and is honestly a deal breaker!
Some games cut off audio but I distinctly know that Patterned & Shinsekai let you play while podcast audio goes.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

That's not an apple thing. It's on the developers to enable/disable that.

Oct 27, 2017

I love Apple Arcade and I will keep it for a good while, but I was shocked when I couldnt podcase while playing grindstone. Its a perfect game to listen to a podcast and knock out some levels.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just realized this was out on Apple TV now thanks to this thread.

What are the must-play gamepad and TV games aside from Sayonara Wild Hearts?

Edit: Also, as someone that plays games elsewhere as well, the value of Apple Arcade is just fucking crazy. I've made it really far into Grindstone and have started What the Golf? and that's it. I would've easily paid $15 for the former and $10 for the latter and it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Definitely subscribing for at least a month.

Last edited: