Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda tempted to get one as my "travel computer" (since in no way am I bringing my actual work laptop on a plane), though i used my last ipad so little, I have to think about other use cases.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 120hz being locked to Pro models is such a weird decision for something that is sold as a high end product. 90hz should be base for anything Apple really, especially how stupidly expensive they are compared to Android.
Between what looks like repurposing a bunch of iPad mini 6 and iPhone 15 Pro parts, this feels like just a recycling project.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda tempted to get one as my "travel computer" (since in no way am I bringing my actual work laptop on a plane), though i used my last ipad so little, I have to think about other use cases.

It's def the perfect device to do everything you wouldn't on a work computer, during work Travel. Also yes great as a mini mini computer, and with a small BT keyboard and mouse and remote connection via google Remote Desktop or something you can even pretend it's your work PC for limited sessions.

The main differentiator vs regular iPads is that it stands up well to prolonged single hand usage — if you limit it to household use it's basically a true phablet that you can use like a phone.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
It's def the perfect device to do everything you wouldn't on a work computer, during work Travel. Also yes great as a mini mini computer, and with a small BT keyboard and mouse and remote connection via google Remote Desktop or something you can even pretend it's your work PC for limited sessions.

The main differentiator vs regular iPads is that it stands up well to prolonged single hand usage — if you limit it to household use it's basically a true phablet that you can use like a phone.

The second use case I might use it for is for putting sheet music on so that I don't have to print out all my music all the time, but I think I'd need at least the 11" air for that.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Use my Mini 6 all the time, but this is not enough of an improvement for me to bother upgrading which is a shame since I had in my mind that I was definitely going to pick a new version up when it arrived.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well, the Air also didn't have it up until a few years ago and then they added it. So I think it's not unreasonable to expect Apple to move all non entry level ipads to the m series.

Some iPad Airs did have the A#X-series processors, though, which are essentially what the M-series was before the M1. The iPad Air 2 had an A8X, and its successor, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro (which essentially replaced the iPad Air until Apple resurrected the iPad Air brand a few years later after the iPad Pro went further upmarket) had an A9X. The iPad mini has never had the larger processor.

The whole switch from A#X nomenclature to M-series nomenclature is basically a marketing move; it's easier to sell an iPad powered by a Mac processor than a Mac powered by an iPad processor. The M1 is essentially an A14X.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like they're using a binned A17 Pro - the 15 Pro has a 6 core GPU and the Mini 7 has a 5 core GPU.
Apple watchers said Apple was keen to get off the TSMC N3B process, which I think is only used for the A17 Pro and M3 chips. But using a binned A17 Pro makes sense considering the number of iPhone Pros vs iPad Minis Apple expects to sell.

Hopefully this means iPad 11th gen gets an A18 chip.

rama_

Jul 30, 2024
I got one to replace my Mini 6.

The lack of any killer feature is disappointing but I really only use mine for book reading and game streaming, and the 6 is so old at this point that even a spec upgrade to A17 Pro/8GB RAM/128GB base storage is pretty significant.