Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Damn I was sure they'd at least put an M1 in there. So doesn't this basically prove you don't need the M series chips for AI? I barely use my Mini 6 I bought in 2021 so I'll just keep that around. Everything else I have can do AI anyway. Not that I use or will use any of it. Just Siri. Love that animation. lol

Nice that it's still $500. But no new colors? Dammit why can't they just have one color way that goes across the entire generation of all their products for each year. Give us those bright blue iPads. And apply those colors to the MacBooks too. All the consumer devices can have the same colors, all the Pros can have the same colors. And change the colors every year like when y'all did the iPod minis. Man I miss those days.

Weird that they just dropped this out of nowhere. Probably because it's such a small bump. But why not just include it with all the other iPads when you do that event? I mean the mini isn't the only iPad without AI support. You'd think they'd just release them all at once.

The A17 Pro is in the iPhone 15 Pro and has been confirmed for Apple Intelligence from the jump.

8GB RAM is necessary and the A17 Pro has it.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The A17 Pro is in the iPhone 15 Pro and has been confirmed for Apple Intelligence from the jump.

8GB RAM is necessary and the A17 Pro has it.
Oh duh. I forgot iPhones don't have M chips. But that's nice. I have a 15 Pro. So basically the new iPad would be a giant 15 Pro. lol

And I just checked the comparison page and the colors are slightly different now. The purple is now only slightly more purple and less pink, and the blue that looks like green is now actually pink. But that's it.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for the new Mini to replace the chonker 2018 12" Pro I have. A little bummed there's no M1/2, but this will likely be great for what I want to use an iPad for.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
From what I can see on the Apple Canada website it's 829 for that model, and I assume Canadian prices are without tax while European prices are with tax, so the difference might not be as big as you'd think.
Ah, you're right, I didn't realize I was on edu pricing, which is how I always get my stuff lol. Great point about the tax-in price. Europe is far superior that way.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I switched from 12.9 + mini to an 11 when the mini jelly scroll became truly too much for me to deal with. That said, if they have sorted the jelly scroll on this one I could definitely be tempted.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Sad they didn't add M1 but also glad they are still making this form factor. After I heard that pilots use the mini I feel it will stick around but there is always the possibility of Apple killing it.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
To the people whining about ProMotion: keep wishing for a Mini Pro. You're not getting it before that becomes a reality.
I don't think that's fair, both the insult and the expectation that this is a Pro feature. You can buy Android phones at 250 bucks with 120Hz screens at this point.

honestly releasing anything with 60Hz at this price point is taking the piss.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Bro, why not an M1 chip???? How disappointing.
The iPad mini has never had the M-series chip (or the A#X-class chip before that), so I'm not sure why you'd expect this one would?

The real head-scratcher is why the A17 Pro (built on the first-gen, lower-volume, dead-end 3nm process) instead of the A18 (built on the higher-volume, more widely used and potentially cheaper second-gen 3nm process). There's a reason the M4 came out so soon after the M3; the first-gen 3nm process was very much a stopgap and a pilot project.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I don't think that's fair, both the insult and the expectation that this is a Pro feature. You can buy Android phones at 250 bucks with 120Hz screens at this point.

honestly releasing anything with 60Hz at this price point is taking the piss.

I recently bought an Android tablet with an excellent 12" 3k 120fps screen and that cost me a whole £200.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
That scrolling problem was really annoying once you notice it. I doubt that will be fixed, sadly, but there was some rumor that they might change the orientation of screen breakup so it's less noticeable or something.

www.macrumors.com

'Jelly Scrolling' Rumored to Be Reduced on iPad Mini 7 Thanks to Rotated Screen Assembly

The seventh-generation iPad mini's screen assembly will be rotated to reduce the effect of "jelly scrolling" that some users complain...

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird update. A17 Pro instead of A18 is disappointing, and it looks like that's really all they've done to it. Hopefully they fixed the jelly scrolling too at least, and it should have 8 GB of ram which is a big upgrade.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After buying the 13-inch M4 iPad Pro, literally no chance I'm ever going back to non-OLED. Best screen in the game.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really tempted to get this, the 8" screen would be perfect for reading on. If I force myself to think about it rationally for a little while though I realize that between my 6.9" iPhone 16 Pro Max and my 13" iPad Pro M4 I really can't justify a third device (especially when the screen is such a step down from the two devices I do have).

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The iPad mini has never had the M-series chip (or the A#X-class chip before that), so I'm not sure why you'd expect this one would?

The real head-scratcher is why the A17 Pro (built on the first-gen, lower-volume, dead-end 3nm process) instead of the A18 (built on the higher-volume, more widely used and potentially cheaper second-gen 3nm process). There's a reason the M4 came out so soon after the M3; the first-gen 3nm process was very much a stopgap and a pilot project.

I think the answer might be that they're using binned A17 Pros.

This version is a 5 core GPU, and the iPhone 15 Pro had 6 cores.

Since the iPad mini is low volume, maybe they have enough of these chips left over to get through a year or two while still meeting the requirements for Apple intelligence.

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
Given how long the wait was for this one, it's pretty unimpressive. A series instead of M series means no true Stage Manager external monitor support, right? So basically this is for people choosing between the base model and the small option.

Unless they're going to refresh this much sooner next time, 120hz is a long ways down the road. Kinda crazy for a $500 device.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
To the people whining about ProMotion: keep wishing for a Mini Pro. You're not getting it before that becomes a reality.
Sounds like a Windom Earle type cruel remark to me Coop.

That said, the mini has been at a bad spot in the lineup for a really long time for features vs. price, particularly now that the Air is on M chips as well. At this point they might as well just make the mini an 8.3" version of the base ipad and acknowledge it as the afterthought that it seemingly is.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they went with the A17 Pro rather than the A18. I knew they'd be updating it to something that supports Apple Intelligence, but getting last year's iPhone Pro processor is an interesting decision.

Last edited:

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
OLED would be nice, but no 120hz is pretty much a dealbreaker in 2024. Nice about the storage bump, but that should have been the baseline years ago and they should really be looking at 256 as the baseline these days. Still, I'd consider this if it had a solid discount. the ipad mini is my favorite way to read books and comics, and my gen 2 mini chugs so hard even opening the Apple Bookstore that its almost unusable these days.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
OLED would be nice, but no 120hz is pretty much a dealbreaker in 2024. Nice about the storage bump, but that should have been the baseline years ago and they should really be looking at 256 as the baseline these days. Still, I'd consider this if it had a solid discount. the ipad mini is my favorite way to read books and comics, and my gen 2 mini chugs so hard even opening the Apple Bookstore that its almost unusable these days.
Not even having 90Hz is blowing my mind, it feels like this device exists just to recycle some parts.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
The new iPad Airs don't have a 120Hz screen right? Why were so many people expecting the cheaper Mini to have a "iPad Pro" feature?

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the Air also didn't have it up until a few years ago and then they added it. So I think it's not unreasonable to expect Apple to move all non entry level ipads to the m series.

Anyways, that will probably happen in 2026 with the rumored ipad mini with oled and pro motion. This is a stop gap for now.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't upgrade from mini5 to mini6 due to my kids cracking the mini5 screen I'd probably bite. Best form factor, 128GB would be nice, I use the mini a ton — but it does what I need and the 17 pro usage seems suspect at best.

If we get a OLED mini in 2026 great, if not I'll just keep using my current mini6 till the kids get it stuck in Between the couch and break it again.