• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
That mindset always made my head spin. "So you're only having fun when you're ruining other people's fun, or having your fun ruined?" Multiplayer, to me, is at its best when it's a tug-of-war, a struggle between players of similar skill levels.

That's not it. I love games that feature seemingly out of whack balance not because I enjoy dunking/being dunked on, but because such games tend to create extremely intense moments. A perfectly balanced game, on the other hand, is almost completely predictable and incredibly boring. I want there to be shit guns in Apex Legends. I want to have those moments where I'm shooting a P2020 at someone a million times and they just won't go down but I'm still hoping they're bad enough for me to finish them before their squad mates arrive to save them. That's fun to me.

Anybody know how many different decoy animations there are for mirage?

I know of 3 currently:

He'll crouch walk if you send it out when you're crouching
He'll run unarmed if youre standing still (possibly if youre unarmed as well)
He'll run with with the weapon in hand if you're moving

Pretty sure sliding down a hill also works, IIRC.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they need to tone down the drop rate of Peacemaker or at least some items.

I found a gold helmet or vest when I landed as floor loot. That is way too much unearned power. I also think they should drop the frequency of purple and even blue armour, though this might have a negative effect on the health economy since it would mean most enemies are at 150 HP while some are at 175 or 200, which would be too often.

At the very least, helmets should be harder to find at blue and purple and gold, just because they are permanent and reduce damage significantly in an already spongey game

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard - there's indications that there'll be a ranked mode and Shroud apparently told Respawn to make it skill based over time played based.
Ugh. I hate this. I'd rather have a mixed pool of good and bad players. New and veterans. To me, the randomness of it all is what makes this all good fun. If loot can be random, so can the players.

I like meeting new people, or people WAAAAAY better than me so I can learn from them. I also like getting killed as that is also a learning experience.

No matchmaking please.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I hate this. I'd rather have a mixed pool of good and bad players. New and veterans. To me, the randomness of it all is what makes this all good fun. If loot can be random, so can the players.

I like meeting new people, or people WAAAAAY better than me so I can learn from them. I also like getting killed as that is also a learning experience.

No matchmaking please.

Well, I mean, presumably there'll be two modes. One with SBMM and the one we have now.

I'd rather get matched with people around my skill level and then watch videos of high level play. That's how I learn.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I unlocked Mirage and had no trouble playing with him... until tonight, he is showing as locked. Is this a known bug?
Yup on Xbox here and can confirm this bug. If you wanna pick Mirage or Caustic, just set them as featured in the main menu and when you hop in a game don't pick any character.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
whats the weapon balance looking like?

Im pretty much just picking anything up at this point, I dont know which weapons are worth picking up over others.. lol

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so how are most solo players enjoying this game? i've never played br games because i didn't have the patience for soloing and i never wanted to play team based because i don't like being mic'd up. does the ping system help a lot for silent solo play?

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I feel like they need to tone down the drop rate of Peacemaker or at least some items.

I found a gold helmet or vest when I landed as floor loot. That is way too much unearned power. I also think they should drop the frequency of purple and even blue armour, though this might have a negative effect on the health economy since it would mean most enemies are at 150 HP while some are at 175 or 200, which would be too often.

At the very least, helmets should be harder to find at blue and purple and gold, just because they are permanent and reduce damage significantly in an already spongey game
Um yeah no thanks. Mozambique is everywhere too so is the Wingman, Prowler, Hemlok and many other weapons. You found a gold item? Well that's good and that's how it should be. You won't find a Mastiff or Kraber unless you risked it and went to loot a care package or picked it up from a dead enemy. Many many times I drop in good places and I just find ammo, optics and attachments with no guns at all. High gear isn't always infront of your face whenever you drop or atleast that's what I experienced. Really the game is fine as it is

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Finally starting to calm down in my encounters and place my shots, took me a while to shake those jitters since this is my first real BR but I'm feeling much better about my play.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
so how are most solo players enjoying this game? i've never played br games because i didn't have the patience for soloing and i never wanted to play team based because i don't like being mic'd up. does the ping system help a lot for silent solo play?
This game was made like if it was meant for players with nobody to squad up with. The ping system is simple yet revolutionary! Jump in you'll have a blast!

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mean, presumably there'll be two modes. One with SBMM and the one we have now.

I'd rather get matched with people around my skill level and then watch videos of high level play. That's how I learn.
I dont mind a matchmaking system, but modes will have the issue of being diluted.

Ideally we have Squads, Duos, and Solos to get all the regular modes of BR in. Presumably they add in some fun LTMs but theyd rotate.

I think making a ranked mode a limited time event would be better. Something like 1 weekend out of a month where maybe those with wins can enter only. I know that idea was suggested for Fortnite-- a Winners mode that presumably has players who are somewhat competent at the game.

I think the game is fine without matchmaking because FPS skills are varied enough that players can outplay better players.

I would have liked matchmaking in Fortnite just because the building mechanics were so stupidly impossible to learn in a match. If you got someone who was good, you just almost never had a chance to get as good, outside of spamming like hell and hoping u got lucky.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Um yeah no thanks. Mozambique is everywhere too so is the Wingman, Prowler, Hemlok and many other weapons. You found a gold item? Well that's good and that's how it should be. You won't find a Mastiff or Kraber unless you risked it and went to loot a care package or picked it up from a dead enemy. Many many times I drop in good places and I just find ammo, optics and attachments with no guns at all. High gear isn't always infront of your face whenever you drop or atleast that's what I experienced. Really the game is fine as it is

I shouldnt be able to find a gold item so easily IMO. The gold items allow me to heal super fast and stuff like that feels way too good of an advantage early game. I think all gold items should be a air drop and somewhat earned/risked for.

And regarding weapons, I think the game needs better weapon spawns as finding a bunch of ammo and attachments and no weapons happens too often. I think opening a crate and finding 3 helmets is just annoying. Unlike other BR games, I find myself running without weapons more frequently at the start in this game.

I think Fortnite did it right by having chests be RNG, but always guaranteeing a weapon, no matter how crappy it is.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A slightly off shot or a distant shot with the 'bique will only give 10-20 hit points. Considering the dynamics of fights in this game, you're bound to miss one shot.

One fudged punch is guaranteed 30 hit points.

I don't know what Respawn were thinking when they made that gun. It's like they wanted it to be a meme within its game.

Deleted member 10063

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about the cheating in this game. Came across several people using aimbots in the past week. Saw a clip posted on reddit of a streamer using an aimbot. Thought I was crazy at first.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind a matchmaking system, but modes will have the issue of being diluted.

Ideally we have Squads, Duos, and Solos to get all the regular modes of BR in. Presumably they add in some fun LTMs but theyd rotate.

I think making a ranked mode a limited time event would be better. Something like 1 weekend out of a month where maybe those with wins can enter only. I know that idea was suggested for Fortnite-- a Winners mode that presumably has players who are somewhat competent at the game.

I think the game is fine without matchmaking because FPS skills are varied enough that players can outplay better players.

I would have liked matchmaking in Fortnite just because the building mechanics were so stupidly impossible to learn in a match. If you got someone who was good, you just almost never had a chance to get as good, outside of spamming like hell and hoping u got lucky.

It's true that once there's more modes, there can't be more than one of each.

I think either making solo, duos, squads ranked and then have the fun modes be unranked would be how I'd prefer it.

If not that, then I'd prefer squads and maybe duos stay ranked with solos being unranked.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This game is a million times better when you de-train the part of your mind that wants it to be Titanfall BR for no reason instead of realizing Respawn just launched a new IP that's basically their take on Overwatch in BR format. Their only misstep was pitching it as a Titanfall game via having it set in the same universe. Based on what I've played so far I'm confused as to why it couldn't be a completely new IP. But it's still fantastic when judged on its own merits and delivers some of the best gameplay you could want from a team based and/or BR shooter.

And if this does well enough to get development rolling on another Titanfall, it seems unlikely it won't have a BR mode as well.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
This game is a million times better when you de-train the part of your mind that wants it to be Titanfall BR for no reason instead of realizing Respawn just launched a new IP that's basically their take on Overwatch in BR format. Their only misstep was pitching it as a Titanfall game via having it set in the same universe. Based on what I've played so far I'm confused as to why it couldn't be a completely new IP. But it's still fantastic when judged on its own merits and delivers some of the best gameplay you could want from a team based and/or BR shooter.

And if this does well enough to get development rolling on another Titanfall, it seems unlikely it won't have a BR mode as well.
I don't think it was a misstep at all to set it in the TF universe. People got over the fact that it wasn't straight Titanfall pretty quickly and it benefits from the guns, sliding system, and general aesthetic of that universe.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone explain health/damage numbers to me? I assumed people have 100 health, so if you shoot them and white damage comes up - you should down them once you do 100 or more damage? I did around 150 white damage on someone in 3 shots and they were still alive.

What am I missing? Their armour was broken as well.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Can anyone explain health/damage numbers to me? I assumed people have 100 health, so if you shoot them and white damage comes up - you should down them once you do 100 or more damage? I did around 150 white damage on someone in 3 shots and they were still alive.

White damage is shield damage iirc

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
No way. You can run SBMM on low player pools just fine. Plus, Titanfall had a lot of players for at least a year, more than 10k active on PS4.

People make out that Titanfall 2 bombed, this isn't true. It might not have met expectations, but millions were playing the game, with tens of thousands of concurrent players.

Even old Call of Duty games, with less than 5k players, still run effectively with skill based matchmaking.

It's a perfectly viable design decision not to include skill based matchmaking. A lot of people hate it. It's like the level scaling in Oblivion, you get better at the game, but it doesn't feel like it because you're facing better players. It can contribute to players burning out.

I think the best compromise is ranked mode, with SBMM, casual mode, with no or only light SBMM (Rainbow Six Siege and Uncharted 4 have this).
Titanfall 2 didn't bomb, but it didn't hold a large playerbase, and it tapered off fairly quickly after the first year.

Also, I'm searching for it right now, but I recall Respawn's reps explicitly stating one of the key reasons for the lack of SBMM was because of the lower playerbase. When PS4 had a playerbase of 10k-ish, PC was looking at around 2500, and dropping fast.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather get matched with people around my skill level
Wouldn't it make more sense that you'd want to be matched with people NOT around your skill level?

I'd much rather I get the chance to run into shroud than never meeting him due to matchmaking saying " nah, you're not even close to his level". I'd want to be killed by him. If that makes sense.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Are the new Nvidia drivers causing this game to crash for anyone else? I keep getting errors with "Createtexture2d failed" and others that are throwing me out of games now.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

I don't think anyone cares about wall running or Titans missing in this. And the best overall feature of Titanfall was the snappy shooting mechanics which this 100% has. I don't miss wall running or double jump at all and I'm a big Titanfall fan.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

The color of the damage reflects the level of shielding. Red damage is unshielded, White T1 shield, Blue T2, etc...

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I don't think it was a misstep at all to set it in the TF universe. People got over the fact that it wasn't straight Titanfall pretty quickly and it benefits from the guns, sliding system, and general aesthetic of that universe.

It was a misstep in the sense that it took a minute for Titanfall fans to be ok with that, and the "Titanfall with no titans" perception is still something AL has to fight against even now to some extent. It'll boil over because the game is just that good, but I still haven't seen a compelling reason for why it needs to be set in the same universe instead of tailoring a unique sci-fi premise around its gameplay. Maybe the story in the next Titanfall game will address this though.

I don't think anyone cares about wall running or Titans missing in this. And the best overall feature of Titanfall was the snappy shooting mechanics which this 100% has. I don't miss wall running or double jump at all and I'm a big Titanfall fan.

Not so sure about nobody caring about that (there was definitely some uproar on this board alone until everyone started playing it) and I'm gonna have to disagree that wall runnning/platforming and titans aren't just as important to that series as its responsive controls and classy shooting mechanics. But again, the fact that there's very little negative feedback in reaction to the game AL actually is speaks volumes about its quality at the end of the day.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
IMO, Respawn should change nothing.

Stick to one mode of play. Just add new weapons/items/chars, and from time to time maybe make changes to the map.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
IMO, Respawn should change nothing.

Just add new weapons/items/charachters, and from time to time, make changes to the map.
This is how I feel. I think the squad format is perfect, and I don't mind if that means some bad games here and there. The great games make up for that and more, and I've had some absolutely brilliant games with pure random with no mics.

Just give me more content, keep everything else about the structure of the game the same.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Wouldn't it make more sense that you'd want to be matched with people NOT around your skill level?

I'd much rather I get the chance to run into shroud than never meeting him due to matchmaking saying " nah, you're not even close to his level". I'd want to be killed by him. If that makes sense.
Plus all the top guys ranked at the top would literally go up against each other game after game.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Man, no luck today with drops. Every round has been the same, I land and the only guns I encounter for the first 5 minutes are the p2020 and the Mozambique...these are not effective when it feels like everyone else grabs an r301 or spitfire

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
1st match of the day got the dub. My 10yo had 8 kills 12yo had 5 kills over 1500 damage each. I had 124 damage no kills lmao. Died twice and spectate for last circle haha. Man I suck.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017

100 base HP. A white armor bumps them up to 150, blue to 175 and purple to the full 200.

Each "pip" of armor is 25 hp. So you need to do a minimum of 150 to knock someone who has white armor on. One HP less and they get away.

When their armor breaks it makes a sound and visual effect. After that your hit markers are red meaning they have no protection and you're drilling into the final 100 hp.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

For those once in a chance moments, I don't think it's worth it when a lot of my matches end up with my team being killed by people clearly way more skilled than we are and so we never had a real chance in the first place. People with 1 kill get matched with people with 500 kills. It just doesn't make it fun. I've had friends ask for a skill based matchmaking because there would be times the game would just seem really unbalanced with who it put us up against and it seemed more like a waste of time for them.

And in those moments, I can usually get to the top 5 squads from the get-go, but the people left have gotten there from getting kills while my team scavenged and waited and only fought if we were forced to. I think we'd be more willing to get into firefights if it were more fair with its matchmaking.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I just don't see why they'd add matchmaking when none of the other battle royale games have it. You'd probably alienate a lot of people in adding it, since a lot of people like the fact that anything can happen. I feel like Fortnite's solution of having more casual modes and occasional ranked/tournament modes is better to solve the problems of the game being difficult to get into and people wanting a bit more of a higher level experience.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I just don't see why they'd add matchmaking when none of the other battle royale games have it. You'd probably alienate a lot of people in adding it, since a lot of people like the fact that anything can happen. I feel like Fortnite's solution of having more casual modes and occasional ranked/tournament modes is better to solve the problems of the game being difficult to get into and people wanting a bit more of a higher level experience.

In this thread and from searching a bit online, it seems like PUBG uses a form of skill based matchmaking. It's just hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.