• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand, i just checked the psn store and the ps5 is 10 bucks more expensive than the ps4 and you guys are saying if you buy the ps4 one you get the ps5 as well? That doesn't make sensr

What happened was the PS4 version was supposed to be $10 cheaper without a path to upgrade to the PS5 version. There was a ton of backlash because Sony originally said that there would be a free upgrade path to cross generation launch window titles. Sony responded to the backlash by allowing a free upgrade path but never changed the pricing of the two different versions in the process.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Can someone answer my dumb question?
If I buy the PS4 version and upgrade to the PS5 version can I still play the PS4 version AND the PS5 version without buying addiotnal items?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
$10 for a nice Italian deal. I wonder if OP considers Little Ceaser's Italian or something. I can't imagine what place he's talking about for that cheap. I don't even think Olive Garden meals are that cheap nowadays

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Yep, gonna get PS4 ver and get the free PS5 upgrade and yes it's scummy from Sony to hide the PS4 version from the PS5 store or even mention the free upgrade.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Can someone answer my dumb question?
If I buy the PS4 version and upgrade to the PS5 version can I still play the PS4 version AND the PS5 version without buying addiotnal items?
If you buy physical PS4 disc, then maybe.

If you buy the digital $60 PS4 version, then no. Upgrading the digital PS4 version to PS5 does NOT entitle you to both versions. You will lose the digital PS4 and only be entitled to the PS5 version.

If you want to be entitled to both PS4 and PS5 versions digitally, you will need to buy the $80 digital deluxe.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Honestly, this whole shindig is a big reason I'm going to wait for it to drop in price or a game of the year edition if it gets DLC.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why this is even a thing digitally. If you can simply buy the PS4 version for $10 less, yet get the exact same benefits as buying the PS5 version digitally, why are they charging $10 more for the PS5 version? Is the upgrade not a day one release? Preloading tax?

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Wait, what? Seriously? Receipts?

Based on their FAQ, dual entitlement does not apply to standard and special edition.

Can I upgrade my Horizon Forbidden West PS4 version to the PS5 version?

To access both the PS4 and PS5 versions of Horizon Forbidden West, you need to purchase the Digital Deluxe, Collector's, or Regalla Editions. Dual entitlement does not apply to the Standard and Special Editions.

Horizon Forbidden West support

Find out about the different Horizon Forbidden West editions, the game's supported languages and how to access your pre-order bonuses.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The fact that the PS5 version is still €10 more expensive and Sony said nothing else except a short statement months ago, makes me believe there's some fuckery going to happen, like we're sorry to inform you the update is going to be delayed by two weeks because of bugs or something. So I'm not going to get either version day and date, until DigitalFoundry has confirmed.

Upgrade has been canceled for the standard edition by Sony.

Last edited:

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
10 bucks is not an amount worth giving any thought about. I want the PS5 version in a PS5 case, so PS5 version it is.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Based on their FAQ, dual entitlement does not apply to standard and special edition.

Find out about the different Horizon Forbidden West editions, the game's supported languages and how to access your pre-order bonuses.

I think that's outdated and incorrect. The update FAQ makes no mention of losing access to your PS4 version:

Upgrade an eligible PlayStation®4 game to the digital PlayStation®5 version

Certain PS4™ games can be upgraded to the digital PS5™ version of the game on a PS5 console. Find out how to upgrade eligible PS4 games on the PS5 console.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

It is for the digital, Sony never updated the store info and wants to hide this fact to make people waste $10. But the announcement was very clear that any PS4 version will be upgraded to PS5 version after they got allot of backlash.
Seems to be only partly true.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why this is even a thing digitally. If you can simply buy the PS4 version for $10 less, yet get the exact same benefits as buying the PS5 version digitally, why are they charging $10 more for the PS5 version? Is the upgrade not a day one release? Preloading tax?

There is no reason for it whatsoever outside of Sony trying to get people to buy it for $70 without realizing it. I guess they don't want to outright make Horizon $60 as it puts more questions on why another crossgen game like God of War is $70, they're trying to get PS5 users normalized on that pricing.

The PS5 store DOES NOT show the PS4 version so at a glance there is no way to know anything like this is even possible.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be only partly true.
That FAQ was never updated after their announcement to purposefully steer people to the Ps5 version to waste their customers money. All that info is what caused the controversy in the first place, then days later Sony apologized in a blog and said all PS4 will be updated to PS5 version but never changed anything on their store or website.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That FAQ was never updated after their announcement to purposefully steer people to the Ps5 version to waste their customers money. All that info is what caused the controversy in the first place, then days later Sony apologized in a blog and said all PS4 will be updated to PS5 version but never changed anything on their store or website.
Hmm, I'm still sceptical until someone really got the upgrade for the standard digital version.

Nevertheless this is a mess.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'm still sceptical until someone really got the upgrade for the standard digital version.

There would be so much of a shit storm if they removed your access to the PS4 version when you upgraded to the PS5 version. They're not going to take that digitally away from your library.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

Yes it's a mess. I think they are doing this because Sony is trying to normalize $70 pricing for cross-gen games which is crazy IMO. Gotta try to sell GT7 and GoW: Ragnarok for $70 even though they were developed with the limitations of last gen consoles in mind, doesn't matter that their main competitor Microsoft is selling their cross-gen titles for $60. If you are going digital, just don't pre-order if you want to be absolutely safe. But it would be really crappy for Sony to outright lie after stating in their blog that clearly PS4 version of HFW will be updated to PS5, nothing was specified requiring a physical copy. If they even attempt to not give free digital upgrades, it will be even more of a shit-storm than the initial blow-back and they will have to rectify the situation.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone buying digital who doesn't take advantage of the PS4 version + free upgrade is a crazy person

My personal feeling but then also I can't really call anyone crazy considering Sony don't tell you about this upgrade and they they don't even offer the PS4 version for sale on the PS5.

Like, people are gonna buy the one version that is offered them and waste $10 and that's not on them. Sony are effectively hiding the upgrade and cheating everyone out of $10 and it sucks.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My personal feeling but then also I can't really call anyone crazy considering Sony don't tell you about this upgrade and they they don't even offer the PS4 version for sale on the PS5.

Like, people are gonna buy the one version that is offered them and waste $10 and that's not on them. Sony are effectively hiding the upgrade and cheating everyone out of $10 and it sucks.

I'd say it goes even farther than them not telling you about the upgrade.

When I went to preorder the PS4 version, realized it wasn't on the PS5 store, and used the app I was even more confused.

OtKK44e.jpg

Sl64b9u.jpg

Meanwhile on the PS4/PS5 standard:

It not being updated makes the listings wrong, and the digital deluxe version is trying to still use it as a value addon.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Whoosh

When I went to preorder the PS4 version, realized it wasn't on the PS5 store, and used the app I was even more confused.

It not being updated makes the listings wrong, and the digital deluxe version is trying to still use it as a value addon.
Links not working?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Its 100% intentional. They begrudgingly gave PS4 owners a free upgrade to save face when everyone was criticising it when they announced pre-orders but they really don't want anybody knowing about it. How much effort does it take to update the descriptions on store listings?

It's really shitty.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That is not what I said? I'm sceptical that the PS4 digital standard can be upgraded at no cost.

You have to understand you were replying to a series of posts that started with the concept that if you upgrade the PS4 version to the PS5 version that you'll lose access to the PS4 version. Also in that line of posts replying, there's a link to the FAQ for how upgrades work which explicitly states you can upgrade the digital PS4 version to the PS5 version at no cost so that's not at all in dispute.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This whole bullshit is why I'm going to hold off on playing this game until it's nice and cheap. You can save more than $10 USD that way.

Killua96

Apr 21, 2021
Yeah, pre-ordered at 69,99€ with 20€ PSN Card included, i've given FFVIIR Ps5 for another 32€ off.
The +10€ for the Ps5 version imho are not worth, if you wanted to sell it in the future you'll have also more customer Ps4+Ps5 instead of Ps5-only.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, i will buy the PS5 version cause i don't want to Load the whole game everytime. Also the PS5 box is nicer and since i'll go physical i'll get it cheaper anyways

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You have to understand you were replying to a series of posts that started with the concept that if you upgrade the PS4 version to the PS5 version that you'll lose access to the PS4 version. Also in that line of posts replying, there's a link to the FAQ for how upgrades work which explicitly states you can upgrade the digital PS4 version to the PS5 version at no cost so that's not at all in dispute.
Are you mixing things up? I can't find something in the posts I quoted about losing access. Also the FAQ does not contain the info about the standard digital being getting a free upgrade and that is what I was talking about.

Sorry if any of this is confusing.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, so if the upgrade is free why would the charge you 10 dollars more for the PS5 version? This thread is confusing me.
Yeah, the fact they're still selling the PS4 and PS5 version separate is just stupid. They should sell a PS4+PS5 bundle and that's it. Give people both versions like on Xbox. Nice and simple for everyone.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the PS5 version is still €10 more expensive and Sony said nothing else except a short statement months ago, makes me believe there's some fuckery going to happen, like we're sorry to inform you the update is going to be delayed by two weeks because of bugs or something. So I'm not going to get either version day and date, until DigitalFoundry has confirmed.

Upgrade has been canceled for the standard edition by Sony.

is this really true? They did another 180?

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Just the fact, PS4 version of FW does not shows up on PS5, says a lot lol. Almost makes me want to cancel my physical pre-order and not support them day 1.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Yeah, the fact they're still selling the PS4 and PS5 version separate is just stupid. They should sell a PS4+PS5 bundle and that's it. Give people both versions like on Xbox. Nice and simple for everyone.

Seriously, the way Sony has handled cross gen purchases is just embarrassing.