ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I pre-ordered the PS5 version because it was cheaper at the time. Now I'm thinking I should've went with the PS4 one just to send a message to Sony.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
If it works as intended, you should be able to upgrade it for free come launch.
I am still not confident pre ordering the ps4 version tho and upgrading it on launch to ps5.
Feel Sony will somehow screw me over in way still haha
This feeling of yours isn't entirely unwarranted. I was unable to upgrade my copy of Miles Morales despite what Sony promised.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
So I can just grab the PS4 version for $60 and get the PS5 version for free and save the $10?

Kryptonic

Dec 14, 2018
USA
I think I'll wait till the 11th to see if people that preordered the PS4 version are able to preload the PS5 version, if not, I'll probably just grab the PS5 version to not deal with potential day 1 free upgrade issues.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
This thread just illustrates how stupid Sony is with their pricing. If you're offering a free upgrade then why even offer a $70 version and look like total assholea?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If it works as intended, you should be able to upgrade it for free come launch.

This feeling of yours isn't entirely unwarranted. I was unable to upgrade my copy of Miles Morales despite what Sony promised.
Yeah. Guess i will see at launch if it works as promised. Dont mind to download on release day

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I'm hoping this is a game Walmart sells for $49.99 ish on PS4 as they often do lately for certain new games- just buy physical PS4 disc, pop into PS5, and download the free PS5 version.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
If I saved

That's exactly what I'm saying champ, I didn't get a PS5 by not saving $10 bucks here & there.

But I think the point is if you aren't even going to use it for the advantage it has, why not also save 500+tax and not buy the PS5. If you aren't going to use it to play PS5 games you are just wasting money buying it in the first place.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
what a friendly neighborhood troll the OP is, haha. I wont lie, my brain did a little mental gymnastics there for a minute

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
But I think the point is if you aren't even going to use it for the advantage it has, why not also save 500+tax and not buy the PS5. If you aren't going to use it to play PS5 games you are just wasting money buying it in the first place.
first off I live in Oregon, if I had to pay sales tax I would of said fuck it.

I have other PS5 games, Demon Souls.. Returnal.. but neither of those games have a $60 option, so why not save the $10 while I can?

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be buying PS4 version although I've been clowned here for that take before.

+ Free upgrade
+ 2 console versions if someone wants to borrow it
+ $10 cheaper

- "U WANNA INSTALL THE PS4 VERSION THIS TIME MAN"

No brainer.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
There needs to be the biggest PSA of all time when FW launches on this free upgrade. Sony has made it intentionally obscure on the PS store and I've spoken to several people that couldn't really believe that could be the case given the price differential.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
i have no idea why the PS5 version is $10 more since they've announced the free upgrade....i guess just to bamboozle people that don't know better?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I guess this makes sense but presumably the PS5 version would have better re-sale. The other downside is the system is so fucking stupid that it will start to install the PS4 version every single time you boot up the system with the disc in. This still hasn't been patched for Tsushima ~6 months later.

If buying it digitally, you may need to download it and run it to upgrade like the Director's Cut of Tsushima..if that's the case it wouldn't be worth the time imo. If it just gets you the PS5 one as well automatically, then it sounds like a good idea.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
There needs to be the biggest PSA of all time when FW launches on this free upgrade. Sony has made it intentionally obscure on the PS store and I've spoken to several people that couldn't really believe that could be the case given the price differential.
Misinformation gotta be word of the year.

I guess this makes sense but presumably the PS5 version would have better re-sale. The other downside is the system is so fucking stupid that it will start to install the PS4 version every single time you boot up the system with the disc in. This still hasn't been patched for Tsushima ~6 months later.

If buying it digitally, you may need to download it and run it to upgrade like the Director's Cut of Tsushima..if that's the case it wouldn't be worth the time imo. If it just gets you the PS5 one as well automatically, then it sounds like a good idea.
This is super frustrating too, or how it puts the two icons on your dashboard but defaults to the PS4 icon every time. It's honestly like they don't even give a shit & it's just a big inconvenience for them to provide something better… the bare minimum to keep people from complaining too much.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I'm gonna be missing out on much… I'll probably wonder how much faster the loading would be on the 5, that's about it, I'm not a huge graphics buff.

Games not PS5 exclusive & I don't like how Sony is intentionally hiding the PS4 version on the PS5 store console side.

gonna save my $10 & get a nice Italian meal.

edit: please save some money, if you have a PS5 buy the PS4 version on the web store to get both versions. This is the last Sony game without a $10 upgrade.
No way. I preordered the fancy $79.99 deluxe edition because I'm a sucker for first party Sony games.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's pretty weird that even the store page of the PS4 version doesn't mention any upgrade. Still going to do it
What's to stop them from going back on their word besides some negative PR? The only thing I can find on it is a post on PlayStation Blog. Does anyone (who doesn't post on message boards) in 2022 read PS Blog? I didn't even know that was still a thing.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's to stop them from going back on their word besides some negative PR? The only thing I can find on it is a post on PlayStation Blog. Does anyone (who doesn't post on message boards) in 2022 read PS Blog?
Yeah, I don't think there's anything to stop them. Though at worst they'll ask for the $10 upgrade and then I'll decide if I refund or go for it

Oct 25, 2017
What's to stop them from going back on their word besides some negative PR? The only thing I can find on it is a post on PlayStation Blog. Does anyone (who doesn't post on message boards) in 2022 read PS Blog? I didn't even know that was still a thing.
Sony are the people who say "up to 60fps"
when they mean it's basically locked 60fps just to avoid any claims of misrepresentation. They aren't going to do something other than what they said they would explicitly do on their blog.

Aug 23, 2018
No, I just bought the PS4 version online through the site for the free upgrade.

I do think them hiding it (the PS4 version) on the PS5 store is scummy though when you can just grab it on the app/site store.

Also no nice Italian meal is $10 lol

Ohhh, so that's why I couldn't find the PS4 version on my PS5. That is scummy as fuck. You can buy the PS4 title on the website store though?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Sony are the people who say "up to 60fps"
when they mean it's basically locked 60fps just to avoid any claims of misrepresentation. They aren't going to do something other than what they said they would explicitly do on their blog.
So what is this then? They contradict themselves in the same blog post.

For players looking to have access to both the PS4 & PS5 versions of Horizon Forbidden West, please purchase the Digital Deluxe, Collector's, or Regalla Editions. Dual entitlement does not apply to the standard and Special Editions.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Wait, the PS5 upgrade is free even if you buy the digital PS4 version?

Why is the PS5 version more expensive if that's the case? That's straight up scummy since some people just wouldn't know about the free upgrade.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Wait, the PS5 upgrade is free even if you buy the digital PS4 version?

Why is the PS5 version more expensive if that's the case? That's straight up scummy since some people just wouldn't know about the free upgrade.
Yes, from what we're told.

Sony treats them as two separate SKUs. PlayStation exclusives have increased in price, and the PS5 version is the ceiling of what they're currently charging.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I dont see why someone would buy the ps5 verison over the ps4 verison unless they dont know about the price diff

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Confused also...I dont see the PS4 version on the PS5 store...only the 89 bucs version(CAD)...but I still have my PS4 hooked up and eveything so I need to buy it there at 79 then boot up the PS5 and upgrade it there...?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The German digital PS4 version doesn't mention anything about the free upgrade on the store page... The way they've handled free upgrades in the past (technical issues that prevented you from upgrading on day one, R rated games requiring a €1 paid "free" upgrade, etc...) scares me...