Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
BW at the minimum need to fix 2 things for the open demo.
  1. The obvious 95% loading bug.
  2. Overall platform optimization but at the very least they need to have the consoles run more than mid 20's fps.
If they let any of the above issues continue to linger into the open demo, this demo campaign will pretty much be a right off.
Yeah, the 95% loading bug is the most and main issue they need to address.

People can be tolerant against bugs and performance issues, but not being able to play is a massive turn off.

Oct 27, 2017
Just the potential for another rough weekend on the demo with bugs and performance issues. And it sounding like the loading bug may not get fixed by the weekend.
If the loading bug isn't fixed by Friday and they still release the demo to everyone, they deserve every negative word that will be said about them. That would be the most clueless thing I've ever seen a developer do. At least last week they didn't know the bug existed, and it was bad they didnt patch it before the demo was over but it would be monumentally worse if they released a second demo that they knew exhibited the same behavior.

Oct 27, 2017
I had the loading bug every couple of attempts on Friday and Saturday. By the time Sunday rolled around, I was getting it every single time I tried to play. This was on PS4 Pro, btw.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
there's no way they don't fix the 95% bug and have an open beta. The negative word of mouth would exponentially spread.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Nope, I had no issues on Sunday either, though I did on Friday and Saturday.
Yeah, it was definitely much better on Sunday for me too. I managed to load into free roam and stronghold without the 95% loading bug that day. Perhaps people are already fed up with it and left the demo so the server was less stressed compared to Friday and Saturday, or Bioware have fixed the issue somewhat, or the combination of both.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was definitely much better on Sunday for me too. I managed to load into free roam and stronghold without the 95% loading bug that day. Perhaps people are already fed up with it and left the demo so the server was less stressed compared to Friday and Saturday, or Bioware have fixed the issue somewhat, or the combination of both.

What were you playing on, out of interest? I was on X1.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna criticize any side of the arguments here, but It has to be clear that "Just cosmetics" doesnt really apply to Looter Shooters, because the cosmetics are the main drive of the game. Also, if you take in consideration that you cannot usually get pieces of armor from enemy drops, save for some story related (That everyone will get eventually), the "Fashion Game" is the main drive for games like Warframe and Destiny and Division.

This.
People are getting crazy when they saw the tweet with the legendary drop but that piece of gear is just stats and buffs, it's the same icon in your inventory and won't even show up on your character. Essentially, there's no way to tell a high level player from a scrub.
I know some people like it this way but I'm pretty sure it will also turn off plenty of people from the game. I sure hope they consider other options for cosmetic changes.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This.
People are getting crazy when they saw the tweet with the legendary drop but that piece of gear is just stats and buffs, it's the same icon in your inventory and won't even show up on your character. Essentially, there's no way to tell a high level player from a scrub.
I know some people like it this way but I'm pretty sure it will also turn off plenty of people from the game. I sure hope they consider other options for cosmetic changes.
Wait... you don't see new equipment on your character ?

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes from what I understand you have changing gear (in the demo there were chest, helmet, arms and leg pieces that you could get with coins for the Ranger class for example) but I'm mostly refering to this :
Dx_fdQWUcAEgL9t.jpg

Notice this Epic Storm looking like a common Storm. Yeah you can look cool from level 1 to 30 but from what I've seen so far the gear doesn't reflect your progess into the game.
Once again some people are for it but I prefer games where you see a graphical change when it comes to progression. The Division will never cater to a certain fringe of players for that same reason. (and that game has the added issue that they cannot get creative with gear looks since it's still somewhat based on a realistic setting).

Diablo has it right imo.

Last edited:

SofaJockey

Nov 19, 2017
UK

Correct. Your 'look' and your 'equipment loadout' are two separate things.
This does mean that uber-players will need to impress by actually playing impressively rather than simply walking out covered in ten tons of crap. ;-)

You can equip different armor pieces, but again, that's a personalization 'look' not customization 'gear'. (though a higher tiered player may well have more of them)

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Correct. Your 'look' and your 'equipment loadout' are two separate things.
This does mean that uber-players will need to impress by actually playing impressively rather than simply walking out covered in ten tons of crap. ;-)

You can equip different armor pieces, but again, that's a personalization 'look' not customization 'gear'. (though a higher tiered player may well have more of them)
This. However, I believe there will be high-tier armor pieces that you can only get on harder content. That said, if every armor piece is purchasable with premium currency, the idea of 'wearing high level armor set' would fall apart. I hope there will be such armor sets in the full game which can only be obtained by beating the content.

Also, I believe weapons look aren't customizable. So unique weapons would be visible by other players.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This. However, I believe there will be high-tier armor pieces that you can only get on harder content. That said, if every armor piece is purchasable with premium currency, the idea of 'wearing high level armor set' would fall apart. I hope there will be such armor sets in the full game which can only be obtained by beating the content.

Also, I believe weapons look aren't customizable. So unique weapons would be visible by other players.
Honestly if the game turns out to be pay to win (i.e. high end gear being purchasable), it will simply lose any meaning to "look cool".
And if that's the case, EA are shooting themselves in the foot with this game.

Some cosmetics are alright, but EA must really be extremely careful with how they use MTX in a game like this. It could completely kill the playerbase in a matter of weeks.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Honestly if the game turns out to be pay to win (i.e. high end gear being purchasable), it will simply lose any meaning to "look cool".
And if that's the case, EA are shooting themselves in the foot with this game.

Some cosmetics are alright, but EA must really be extremely careful with how they use MTX in a game like this. It could completely kill the playerbase in a matter of weeks.
I'm not talking about gears that affect your stats. I'm only talking about armor parts which you can apply to your Javelin to look different.

In the demo, we've had an armor pack for each javelin that we can unlock with in-game or premium currency.

Here's the default Ranger armor parts.
9WknSSr.png

And here's the unlockable parts.
zdOAn7O.png

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can I buy 1 month of EA Access and I'll be able to play the 10hour trial? That would be a perfect way to test the game(Servers), and if I decide to buy it I still get a small discount.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Can I buy 1 month of EA Access and I'll be able to play the 10hour trial? That would be a perfect way to test the game(Servers), and if I decide to buy it I still get a small discount.
Yes. But I still wouldn't recommend subbing before or at launch (15 Feb). If the server issues still persist, your 10 hour trial will be gone before you realize it.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is the open demo using the same client as the VIP demo or so I need to download something new?

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I'm not talking about gears that affect your stats. I'm only talking about armor parts which you can apply to your Javelin to look different.

In the demo, we've had an armor pack for each javelin that we can unlock with in-game or premium currency.

Here's the default Ranger armor parts.
9WknSSr.png

And here's the unlockable parts.
zdOAn7O.png
This guy went from Ranger to Xur real quick

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Did they always say at launch it will be cosmetics only? Seems like things could change after launch.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
OMG I feel so stupid. I didn't realise it's still 31st January and not 1st Feb yet.
But it still sucks to look at a damn connecting to services screen.
May as well put 'Demo starting in X hours'

Sorry guys :(
Ban this one!!! /jk.

Easy mistake to make. Hopefully it launches with no issues so we can all jump in.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Ban this one!!! /jk.

Easy mistake to make. Hopefully it launches with no issues so we can all jump in.
Yeah sorry mate. I know there is a VIP demo out and another demo unlocks on Feb 1st so I dunno I got confused and I lost track of time thinking demo should be out and I am based in NZ so things generally launch here first.
Anyhow apologies for the mistake. I will try the demo after work tomorrow and over the weekend.
:)

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sorry mate. I know there is a VIP demo out and another demo unlocks on Feb 1st so I dunno I got confused and I lost track of time thinking demo should be out and I am based in NZ so things generally launch here first.
Anyhow apologies for the mistake. I will try the demo after work tomorrow and over the weekend.
:)
Remember that the demo will start at a specific time, not when your calendar say it's Feb 1st.

FDmgH5L.jpg

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta call Bullshit on this. Everyone should have experienced the infinite loading loop. It was a standard bug for everyone with the vip demo.
I had every issue over the weekend but the game played flawlessly for me on Sunday on ps4(concerning bugs not framerate). I posted about it at the time.

It's what turned me around on it, the game is hella fun

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I gotta call Bullshit on this. Everyone should have experienced the infinite loading loop. It was a standard bug for everyone with the vip demo.
Outside of a single crash I haven't had an issue with the VIP demo.
unless you count the very start of it where the servers were overloaded and I couldn't log in but that's not really an "issue with the demo"

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
i mean when they haven´t fixed it now for the open demo they have another 14 days, if it is still isn´t fixed then... it will be very bad

i think this issue will cost them many sales if it is still there tomorrow

As I understand it the game was forked into 'live' and 'demo' branches quite a long time ago. That post is from someone working on the demo branch.

So I wouldn't assume this has anything to do with the live branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.