• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the characters don't feel the frustration though because they aren't completely aware that they are looping at all. You aren't feeling what most of the characters are feeling, which is shock and then confusion on what to do. What the audience is feeling is pure annoyance, which is completely different. If the characters were actively trying to get out of the loop but failing, the desperation factor will likely work. However, that isn't the case.
I mean that's basically every looping story ever isn't it? you don't feel most characters struggle cause usually it's only one person who experience the loop, the difference here is the person who actually experience the loop isn't the POV character, but someone else.

This argument only works with Nagato and I feel they failed still. Ok, they want you to understand what Nagato is feeling. But they didn't. Nagato went through highs and lows in regards to what she saw. You never get to see all the variations that Nagato saw. Instead you hear about them. They never showcase the times when the brigade takes a different job or does not go fishing. They never attempted to capture the full range of events that Nagato truly went through, which is integral to truly giving the whole picture.
The full range is that it was mostly the same with very little variations, that's what the arc basically did, every episode play slightly different with different clothes etc but its practically the same

Let's walk through another example of why this type of pacing is terrible. Imagine a story trying to establish that a character has a monotonous life. They won't show them waking up at 5, getting dressed, working for hours, going home, shitting on the toilet, making himself a sandwich, showering, brushing his teeth, and then going to sleep 7 times so you can really get it through your brain that this person lives a bland life. There's way to give you that information in so much less time. Time is important and there's a reason why films, shows, and books are always trimmed down. Sometimes certain elements aren't needed anymore and only serve to reinforce things that already established; thus, they are extraneous.

Nagato's desire to be human is already hinted at throughout the series. It's not even something that Endless Eight itself really pushed to prominence. It's not her arc. She bares no relevance at the end and her purpose really only serves to funnel information to characters. Nagato is a plot device that is required to give characters a push to do something. Her character is never shown to be cracking or wavering. She is shown to do the same thing 15,000+ times and her expression never wavers. You are reading into things if you think the show is actively trying to tell you she is screaming on the inside. If she was an active force in the story, this logic would work. Also, if a story is also pure setup, it fails as its own narrative.

And if we really needed us to feel pain in order for the payoff in the movie to work, I suggest filling the whole season with Endless Eight. Why not? That way the series will be a brilliant subversion of all that we know and serve as a scathing metacommentary that serves to expose laziness as the root of all evils. The characters' inability to act thinking there will always be more time results in an empty season and all the time being lost that could have been used for more adventures. That would really drive the point home. Brilliant!

Why is it only 8 episodes and not 10? 20? 30? If your logic is the name then you basically admit the arc is all flash and no substance.

That's the thing, we ASSUME that she never felt anything, she is an alien after all who barely shows emotions at all no matter the situation, we assume that she got out without being affected at all, it's not like it was her arc or anything so it most have been another weird thing she had to witness for barely +15000 , you can even think "oh wow we barely endured 8 loops and she endured +15000 no problem, she is amazing!"

As it turns out, it affected her after all, deeply.

saying "if an arc is a setup and don't work on it's own it must be a failure" doesn't make sense to me since you can apply this to most arcs in long running works, hell, even the Disappearance movie doesn't work on it's own either, you have to experience the series, so anything happen at the movie work since it change the status quo and shows us something very different, something that won't work if we didn't know what the status quo actually was, and how characters behaved in series proper, that's why it's so effective in the first place

In the end it was effective and memorable,nobody would care if it was some random episode, but getting to experience a tiny glimpse of the horror of getting caught into haruhi whims was something else, and seeing how many got tired and annoyed of it, i would say it actually succeeded in what it was trying to accomplish .

Also yeah they should have actually made +15000 episodes so we get the TRUE and authentic experience of E8, but the world is not ready for it yet.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
[Haruhi Suzumiya / Endless Eight]
People argue its suppose to make you feel what Nagato is feeling but I don't buy it. Nagato is an emotional husk this entire arc. The only way this argument makes sense is through HEAVY inference and the movie to back it up. If they wanted to accomplish this then they should have shifted the story to focus on her partway through. We should have seen her start to crack slowly. The ending of the entire arc barely even touched on Nagato either so are we really saying that this whole repeat business was done to set up a future arc? If so, it still fails for being its own thing. And if we really are getting into this argument then I have to wonder why they have to show 8 loops and not 3 or 5 outside of the fact that it lines up with the cool title. Is 7 loops really more meaningful than 6? 5 more so than 4? Would it not be more impactful if we saw variations of the same loop then? Then we will understand to the full extent what Nagato really went through. Seeing how some loops were different which gave her hope that they may escape only for failure and a fallback onto a similar loop would be more crushing.
You watched this on Funimation, right? Then you can't really imagine the reality of watching Endless Eight as it aired. You can't understand what would it be like to tune in every week to see basically the same epiosde...for weeks and week and weeks. Think how many days, how many hours, that was for people watching the show. Never knowing when it would end. Hoping (and dreaming) that next time, it would be over. But it wasn't. It just...kept going. The internet lost its fucking mind.

If you're watching the series in 2020 then you've probably already heard about this arc because its so infamous. If view it online via a streaming service you can see where it beings, where it ends, how many episodes it covers. Basically all the impact of this arc is lost when you separate it from the context of how it was originally presented. Crucially, you cannot replicate the experience first time viewers had. Those people where experiencing the hell of being stuck in a time loop. And it was incredibly effective.

To clarify, as this arc aired no one knew when it was going to end. You just don't understand what that was like. I mean, surely it can't be three episdoes long. Okay okay, but it would be four episodes? Five? WILL IT EVER STOP

Last edited:

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I mean that's basically every looping story ever isn't it? you don't feel most characters struggle cause usually it's only one person who experience the loop, the difference here is the person who actually experience the loop isn't the POV character, but someone else.
This idea that the show is trying to make you understand what Kyon is feeling is misplaced because he and most of the group are mostly indifferent to what is going on until the end. The emotions building for our characters are vastly different from the ones that are building for the audience. In time loop stories, we usually have at least one character to latch onto. We sympathize with their struggle and root for them to get out. There is no character here that accomplishes this and thus that emotional attachment is gone. If this character is suppose to be Nagato then the arc fails since she isn't the POV character. We don't empathize with her because she herself is not expressing anything; thus, there is no shared connection.
The full range is that it was mostly the same with very little variations, that's what the arc basically did, every episode play slightly different with different clothes etc but its practically the same
If it was the same then what was the harm in showing the audience those loops with more drastic variations? It would have gotten the same point across while keeping things fresh. Nagato mentions how there were times where one of the central events did not occur. In order to really understand the full extent of what she went through, these more distinct loops are needed or else we are only given a snapshot of her experiences. A strong sense of progression where we start at the first loop followed by the 100th, 1000th, 5000th, etc. would have added to the hopelessness of the situation. Instead skipping immediately to the final few loops makes things feel pointless because you are missing much needed context. A loop suddenly diverging with the gang visiting a different place can instill false hope only to crush it by making the next loop the same as the one before. Would that not be more meaningful? That the show baits you and then tricks you? Instead it's a one trick pony.
As it turns out, it affected her after all, deeply.
There's nothing in the actual Endless Eight arc that suggested this. The argument that this arc is integral to Nagato's character is derived from the movie and how she yearned to know what it felt like to be alive. Exclusively singling out the Endless Eight arc as what justifies what happens in the movie is weird to me because this struggle found within Nagato is explored throughout the series. In the episode where the group duels the computer club, she is shown to have actual interests of her own. The island arc shows her developing a sense of humor. She is shown to save Kyon when her counterpart goes haywire, which is something she was NOT programmed to do.

This idea that this arc is necessary for Nagato's actions would make a lot more sense if the timeloop is the impetus that drives Nagato towards making the decision that she does in the movie. It isn't though. Time passes and chronologically speaking things like her bonding with Haruhi or learning she has an interest in gaming occur that get the point across that there is something different about her now compared to before. My point is Endless Eight does not do ANYTHING for Nagato. The same guiding character development is found if you remove the arc and in this arc she is nothing but a background character. She is a dull, emotional void and does not do anything for over 500 years. There is nothing to empathize with because the arc doesn't make her out to be anything in this arc. She acts like she does in other points in the anime where she is a blank slate.

And finally I ask the question... what is this arc about then? People who defend this arc like to point out how deeply it fleshes Nagato's character. That's it. Their praise is that it set-ups a future arc well. It doesn't tell a well put together story on its own. It's an argument made in hindsight and the point being made is that this arc does not work if the movie is not watched afterwards because nothing about this storyline tells a compelling story on its own. It's like arguing Thor 2 is this remarkable piece of work because it set the stage for Thor's arc in Avengers Endgame.

Why do they need to make audiences relive the same thing? That's my question. They could have made the audience feel exasperated and lost in a more efficient way. Does that not feel cheap? Their only way of getting this idea across is just by showing you the same thing over and over instead of capturing that same feeling in a shorter amount of time and with carefully laid out events. Many stories do not need to hammer home the point a million times for you to get something. They don't. Once again, why 8 instead of 10? If you really are arguing artistic merit than the whole season should have been Endless Eight. Why the fuck not? This would make the arc lead right into Disappearance.

No one is talking about the payoff either. Spoilers I guess?

They fucking do homework. After all this build up, the entire storyline whimpers to the finish line. If this was the ending to a 2-3 episode arc, I would not have minded. However, this was the finale to the longest arc in the series. Yes, the intent was that Haruhi wanted the whole group to do something together or that she just wanted to do something Kyon wanted. That doesn't mean what they end up doing had to be so dull that there is no moment of catharsis. Imagine if the Melancholy arc ended with Kyon telling a joke, which prompts the two of them returning. It still gets the point across that they have a bond together but it lacks an explosive punch and feeling of satisfaction.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Endless Eight is beautiful. Different camera angles, small changes here and there. The increased desperation of Kyon's monologue as the episodes go by. The whole scenario going BEYOND where the book ended it faking even more people out.

It's my favorite experience in anime.

Feb 12, 2019
Endless Eight should be lauded for the raw audacity of fully reanimating the same episode eight times in a row with minor changes, but I've always preferred the (probably untrue) conspiracy theory that it was self-sabotage to the "it's supposed to make the audience feel just as trapped as Nagato" interpretation. Either way, those sure are 3 1/2 hours of my life I'm never going to get back. You'd better believe I'm gonna skip most of it if I ever rewatch the series. I did my penance. I don't need to suffer it again.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
[Haruhi Suzumiya / Endless Eight]

You watched this on Funimation, right? Then you can't really imagine the reality of watching Endless Eight as it aired. You can't understand what would it be like to tune in every week to see basically the same epiosde...for weeks and week and weeks. Think how many days, how many hours, that was for people watching the show. Never knowing when it would end. Hoping (and dreaming) that next time, it would be over. But it wasn't. It just...kept going. The internet lost its fucking mind.

If you're watching the series in 2020 then you've probably already heard about this arc because its so infamous. If view it online via a streaming service you can see where it beings, where it ends, how many episodes it covers. Basically all the impact of this arc is lost when you separate it from the context of how it was originally presented. Crucially, you cannot replicate the experience first time viewers had. Those people where experiencing the hell of being stuck in a time loop. And it was incredibly effective.

To clarify, as this arc aired no one knew when it was going to end. You just don't understand what that was like. I mean, surely it can't be three episdoes long. Okay okay, but it would be four episodes? Five? WILL IT EVER STOP

I was relatively sure at the time that they were going to do eight, based on the name.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I would have ruled of 3'd it myself but i'm a huge coward

from a storytelling perspective yeah i think it blows

from an audacity of the artform perspective? Hands down one of the most amazingly stupid achievements in anime history. they may as well have shovelled money into a furnace.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
iilvn52u91h21.png

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Endless Eight should be lauded for the raw audacity of fully reanimating the same episode eight times in a row with minor changes, but I've always preferred the (probably untrue) conspiracy theory that it was self-sabotage to the "it's supposed to make the audience feel just as trapped as Nagato" interpretation. Either way, those sure are 3 1/2 hours of my life I'm never going to get back. You'd better believe I'm gonna skip most of it if I ever rewatch the series. I did my penance. I don't need to suffer it again.
I've always assumed you are supposed to get the sense of being trapped like Nagato. The problem with that is that it's not an enjoyable feeling and there are better ways to do it than almost the same thing 6 times in a row.

Keep in mind, yes they were 3.5 hours of your life, but for those of us that watched it when it came out it was 2 months of hoping for something better :/

we knew going in there was 14 (I think it was) new episodes of Haruhi coming after so many years, and then over half of them were wasted on endless eight :(

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
This idea that the show is trying to make you understand what Kyon is feeling is misplaced because he and most of the group are mostly indifferent to what is going on until the end. The emotions building for our characters are vastly different from the ones that are building for the audience. In time loop stories, we usually have at least one character to latch onto. We sympathize with their struggle and root for them to get out. There is no character here that accomplishes this and thus that emotional attachment is gone. If this character is suppose to be Nagato then the arc fails since she isn't the POV character. We don't empathize with her because she herself is not expressing anything; thus, there is no shared connection.
And yet almost everyone who watched it still feel the frustration without even needing a character to exhibit said frustration, cause the experience is indeed annoying, that's the shared connection right there.

If it was the same then what was the harm in showing the audience those loops with more drastic variations? It would have gotten the same point across while keeping things fresh. Nagato mentions how there were times where one of the central events did not occur. In order to really understand the full extent of what she went through, these more distinct loops are needed or else we are only given a snapshot of her experiences. A strong sense of progression where we start at the first loop followed by the 100th, 1000th, 5000th, etc. would have added to the hopelessness of the situation. Instead skipping immediately to the final few loops makes things feel pointless because you are missing much needed context. A loop suddenly diverging with the gang visiting a different place can instill false hope only to crush it by making the next loop the same as the one before. Would that not be more meaningful? That the show baits you and then tricks you? Instead it's a one trick pony.
Didn't the 7th or 6th episode did something similar? even if it was a very small thing, but anyway the end result would still be the same and feelings of annoyance for this arc won't change, if anything the baiting would be more cruel.

There's nothing in the actual Endless Eight arc that suggested this. The argument that this arc is integral to Nagato's character is derived from the movie and how she yearned to know what it felt like to be alive. Exclusively singling out the Endless Eight arc as what justifies what happens in the movie is weird to me because this struggle found within Nagato is explored throughout the series. In the episode where the group duels the computer club, she is shown to have actual interests of her own. The island arc shows her developing a sense of humor. She is shown to save Kyon when her counterpart goes haywire, which is something she was NOT programmed to do.

This idea that this arc is necessary for Nagato's actions would make a lot more sense if the timeloop is the impetus that drives Nagato towards making the decision that she does in the movie. It isn't though. Time passes and chronologically speaking things like her bonding with Haruhi or learning she has an interest in gaming occur that get the point across that there is something different about her now compared to before. My point is Endless Eight does not do ANYTHING for Nagato. The same guiding character development is found if you remove the arc and in this arc she is nothing but a background character. She is a dull, emotional void and does not do anything for over 500 years. There is nothing to empathize with because the arc doesn't make her out to be anything in this arc. She acts like she does in other points in the anime where she is a blank slate.

And finally I ask the question... what is this arc about then? People who defend this arc like to point out how deeply it fleshes Nagato's character. That's it. Their praise is that it set-ups a future arc well. It doesn't tell a well put together story on its own. It's an argument made in hindsight and the point being made is that this arc does not work if the movie is not watched afterwards because nothing about this storyline tells a compelling story on its own. It's like arguing Thor 2 is this remarkable piece of work because it set the stage for Thor's arc in Avengers Endgame.

Why do they need to make audiences relive the same thing? That's my question. They could have made the audience feel exasperated and lost in a more efficient way. Does that not feel cheap? Their only way of getting this idea across is just by showing you the same thing over and over instead of capturing that same feeling in a shorter amount of time and with carefully laid out events. Many stories do not need to hammer home the point a million times for you to get something. They don't. Once again, why 8 instead of 10? If you really are arguing artistic merit than the whole season should have been Endless Eight. Why the fuck not? This would make the arc lead right into Disappearance.
Sure Nagito had developed over the whole series to do what she did in the movie, not something exclusively to this arc, but it sure contributed a lot to it.
The fact that time passed after it before we reach the movie doesn't mean the arc didn't still affect it, Some things don't need to happen immediately to be considered the cause of something else, but they can still leave an impact still, a lot of stories use flashbacks when something happen that had a root in the past, and sometimes people be like "why they didn't establish it before?" , sometimes it's more convenient to group related stories together., this same series actually had a random episode that was also important later on to Haruhi in the movie too...but anyway
Since you asking what the point of the arc, i would answer that it's not JUST about Nagito, it also offers couple of things
The extent of Haruhi power, for how much she showed, that was the most terrifying thing of all things she showed, and she showed a LOT, yet to me nothing was as terrifying as creating a loop that last +15000 times.
And the loop thing, it approach it differently that it warrants itself to exist in this form, sure there are many stories about this concept in media or outside of it, some are done in way better works than Haruhi -like steins;gate and rezero to name a few in the anime scene- , but how many can actually claim to make you feel the loop itself to such an extent? Nothing ever comes to mind, Haruhi anime was the only one to even dare try this concept to such an extreme, that it actually effectively worked on viewers
and i merely talk about this after watching it like 2 years after airing , as Jexhius pointed out, the experience of actually watching it weekly for 2 MONTHS must have been something else entirely, no one knew when it would end, there was no schedule and no list of upcoming episodes names , it was basically a big prank to viewers of one of the most popular anime of it's time back then, and something that bold that can only lead to disaster and self sabotaging the whole thing, and IT'S GLORIOUS.

Oh and the payoff is weak,almost too disappointing, but also kinda works in the most terrifying way, it basically establish that this insanity that occurred over hundred of years has only happened because of the most trivial thing in existence, not some huge issue that needed a lot of work to solve and validate the insane amount of loops -as we usually see in...re zero for example- , but something that can easily be averted, yet it didn't happen until the last loop, it's almost insulting, but it also shows us how terrifying Haruhi powers are and how she affects the world around her.

in the end. it's not the most amazing thing ever and i didn't claim anything like that, in fact i can see why anyone would hate it and find the experience not fun, but i can't help but admire it still, cause the experience for me was unique and added to the series methinks.

Why are you all acting like I should know this story?
You should only know about it if you were living in Japan ,it's one of those japanese folk tales and quite popular there

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i honestly confuse every asian myth and im asian. kaguya, ascend to the heavens as a woodcutter, momotaro... only the monkey king endures (and thats because monkey king was basically a long-ass serial where someone was like "okay in this episode they... uh... they fight the demon of... uh... whatever cave, and this time monkey has to turn a rod into a hair... oh he did that six episodes ago... hmmm"

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I was around for the Endless Eight discussions while it was airing. Feel like I missed a part of history.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon (2019) 31

Meh episode. The preview for next week's episode was a lot more interesting where it seemed a lot more sad than I expected. Also according to Serebii it might be the very first episode since the whole entire Pokemon anime series started that doesn't feature Ash or Pikachu which is a neat little fact.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
i honestly confuse every asian myth and im asian. kaguya, ascend to the heavens as a woodcutter, momotaro... only the monkey king endures (and thats because monkey king was basically a long-ass serial where someone was like "okay in this episode they... uh... they fight the demon of... uh... whatever cave, and this time monkey has to turn a rod into a hair... oh he did that six episodes ago... hmmm"
I think the only one I learnt about in school was the Milky Way one and I don't even remember that properly.

I could tell you more about the Rainbow Serpent, though. Maybe.

Honestly pretty sad they didn't teach more Aboriginal Dreamtime stories at school when I was there. It might be different now.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon (2019) 31

Meh episode. The preview for next week's episode was a lot more interesting where it seemed a lot more sad than I expected. Also according to Serebii it might be the very first episode since the whole entire Pokemon anime series started that doesn't feature Ash or Pikachu which is a neat little fact.

That seems almost hard to believe lol. Surely some pokemon ranger or movie tie-in episode didn't have Ash in it?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That seems almost hard to believe lol. Surely some pokemon ranger or movie tie-in episode didn't have Ash in it?

There were specials that didn't have him but that's kind of up to you if that counts or not. I think he was trying to say just regular standard episode of the show.

Feb 12, 2019
I've always assumed you are supposed to get the sense of being trapped like Nagato. The problem with that is that it's not an enjoyable feeling and there are better ways to do it than almost the same thing 6 times in a row.

Keep in mind, yes they were 3.5 hours of your life, but for those of us that watched it when it came out it was 2 months of hoping for something better :/

we knew going in there was 14 (I think it was) new episodes of Haruhi coming after so many years, and then over half of them were wasted on endless eight :(
I hadn't thought of it before, but the idea of watching that week-to-week for two months straight sounds like its own brand of special torture.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a massive disappointment that more than half the second season is one extended middle finger to the audience, even if it's also hilarious in hindsight. That's where a lot of the "they intentionally sabotaged the second season so they wouldn't have to make a third one" conspiracy stuff comes from, I imagine. It's bad and disappointing, but at least the movie kinda washes away some of the bad taste. Still wish they did a third season though; I'm not dedicated enough to want to read the light novels.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only one I learnt about in school was the Milky Way one and I don't even remember that properly.

I could tell you more about the Rainbow Serpent, though. Maybe.

Honestly pretty sad they didn't teach more Aboriginal Dreamtime stories at school when I was there. It might be different now.

I hope they have more. I also vaguely remember something about how billabongs were formed, and people turning into emus, and why the crow is black, and stuff.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I have the bluray set of Haruhi, but I only got through the first season, and then all the parody stuff. I've been meaning to rewatch the first season, but watching it broadcast order is such a hassle, so maybe I should just skip to season 2.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

See, I can't buy this because we weren't "stuck" in anything. You know what I did when it became clear that they were just going to repeat the same episode over and over? I stopped watching! After the third episode! Because I don't hate myself and I was not willing to engage in such a dumb experiment any further. And nothing of value was lost on my end.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I was around for the Endless Eight discussions while it was airing. Feel like I missed a part of history.
That's what forums are for! with a bit of digging you can still find archived impressions as it happened , the easiest to find would be on MAL, it's always a good time to read impressions of old controversial things.

I hadn't thought of it before, but the idea of watching that week-to-week for two months straight sounds like its own brand of special torture.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a massive disappointment that more than half the second season is one extended middle finger to the audience, even if it's also hilarious in hindsight. That's where a lot of the "they intentionally sabotaged the second season so they wouldn't have to make a third one" conspiracy stuff comes from, I imagine. It's bad and disappointing, but at least the movie kinda washes away some of the bad taste. Still wish they did a third season though; I'm not dedicated enough to want to read the light novels.
From my understanding, the reason we didn't get the third season was because basically the author stopped writing new material -and still is on hiatus to my knowledge- , they can't advertise new LNs with new season if they don't exist.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

It was amazing. Everyone came up with reasons for why the next episode would definitely be the last one. People were analyzing the OP frame by frame for clues lmao.

Although after episode 4, it became obvious it was going to be 8.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love LiSa but aniplex use her for everything it is repetitive and makes their openings all sound the same

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
There's a part of me that wants to drag out a quote from the other place for a hot take, but I guess I'll just try to paraphrase how I feel like nearly (over??) 10 years later.
Endless Eight is one of the greatest things ever produced for modern television and is still one of my all time highlights after all this time.
In a 2020 context, it is proof that broadcast television is a different medium than streaming television, or at least the type of streaming where an entire season is dropped at once, and did something that I'll probably never see in my lifetime.

(It is also proof that Nagato is the true main character of the franchise)

There's a movie that came out recently that everyone talked about for a hot minute, but of course it's not the same because it's just a movie.
Palm Springs. Also maybe I'll make someone mad by comparing anime to non-anime like in the good old days. lol

----

Also for another random blast to the past, I just found out that someone is trying to sub every single Monogatari commentary. They're over half-way done with like the first two seasons subbed. If you are a fan of Monogatari and don't know about the subs... get ready to experience pure joy. lol

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Digimon Adventure 01 14
Hugely packed episode. Geni makes his video call appearance, the gang builds a raft with a little help from their friends, we meet up with Whamon and Dirigimon and finally get the tags that go with the crests. I forgot all about the tags. They seem kinda redundant in the long run since the crests can be activated through your (figurative) heart. Anyway, good episode. I always liked Whamon. He's pretty cool.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You had to be there really. I still remember Summer 2009 and a sudden rebroadcast listing of Haruhi with more episodes and people speculating for days on Animesuki. Then suddenly the first episode aired and it even had a new OP. Afterwards I suffered along with everyone and at episode 4 or 5 of endless eight everyone accepted that we will see it 8 times for real and that it's not a joke of any kind.

Something like this will never happen again. :(

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Kemeko Deluxe

Years ago I watched this iDOLM@STER video of nonowa のワの which is a parody of the Kemeko Deluxe ED:
www.youtube.com

IMAS exercise

From nicovideo - find more at http://moemania.org ののワさんのプリップリン体操(再UP)sm8161519

Since then this show has been on my kind of backlog and I finally thought to check it out.

Yep, that was a really typical 00s anime. Turns out the ED is the best thing about it.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion
This movie was drugs. Not enough Kyubey murder.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
if any of you get hidive you should watch the demon girl next door. it good.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
You are gonna need to give me more....these images I am seeing are throwing all the red flags.

demon8.png

Basically this high schooler wakes up with horns and her demonic ancestor (currently trapped in a statue) tells her its her duty to kill a magical girl to restore her ancestor's powers and break the only-$400-a-month-for-living-expenses curse her family labors under. Except Yuko is an incompetent klutz and ends up making friends with the local (hilariously stoic) magical girl instead! Hijinx ensue.

My favourite part is that the magical girl is a veteran magical girl and has basically retired. Like early on someone is like "I think she saved the world like two or three years back"

Status
Not open for further replies.