• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Narag

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ya'll. Hope this is the right thread for this. I wasn't sure if this thread was just about new animes releasing this summer, or general anime OT stuff.

I have always casually enjoyed the typical cartoon network, late night anime stuff as a kid. Recently, I've started to watch more series from start to finish. I'm looking for some recommendations of what to watch next. My only specific hope is to find series that are already finished (so I can watch the whole thing in one go, don't really want to pause and wait for more seasons) and that it is available on one of the big platforms (netflix, hulu, crunchyroll, etc).

The series that I've watched from start to finish are:

Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Avatar: The Last Airbender (if that counts)
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note

I've done some research and Fullmetal Alchemist seems interesting, but I wasn't clear on which series is preferable of the two available. I'd love some other suggestions as well. I'm planning on watching Samurai Champloo at some point once I buy it on Blu Ray, but other suggestions are welcome!

I think you'd really enjoy Hunter x Hunter going by that completion list.

Oct 25, 2017
Super HxEROS Episode 1
EcGSqBvX0AAyGe3

Well cute male lead always gets me to check out an anime and super heroes, how could I not watch.
EcGQDZKXkAAVFh_
Great clothes destruction attacks hope it doesn't go away. Wish there was other male characters in the team, but oh well. One of the fem charas is one of my favorite in these types of anime so hopefully she will be fun.

Matsuouka is also doing the good work voicing all these leads this season + side characters, wow. He's great here with his little younger voice, different than his food wars and kirito one, which is great, and he even does some of the OP song, nice.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Fire Force S2 1
I'm super excited for this show to be back. Nice warm-up in the first half and the calendar stuff in the second was absolute gold. Going by the OP, it looks like we are in for quite a wild ride of a season. I just hope the Tamaki stuff is kept to an absolute minimum.
I played through the visual novel of Stein's Gate already. Do you think it would still be worth watching the anime?
Maybe. I watched the anime before the VN and completely enjoyed both. Even on rewatch, the anime is amazing, even though it'll feel like it's flying by in comparison to the pace of the VN itself. For time, it does cut out a good chunk of the side content and most of the alternate routes and endings, but it's worth a watch if you're a fan.

At least from the anime perspective, it would be worth watching episode 25 and the movie if you've only played the first VN. Have you seen or played 0? Both are actually worth it if you haven't. If you do watch the anime, watch 23b from the first season as a primer.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The Misfit of Demon King Academy E1
Ok this is kinda super dumb, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. Sometimes I am just a sucker for absolutely totally overpowered protagonists

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
JoJo Part 5 E1-21

Man, I love this. Italy is a great setting, and the gripes I had with Part 4, that it was too slice of life and the supporting cast wasnt that great are instantly fixed here. Love the whole gang, and the stakes are high. Stands are incredibly creative too, Giorno and Bucciarati stand out from the getgo. Loved how Giorno made progress with his Stand after encountering Babyface, something I missed from Josuke.

Also lol at the villain once again having a time related ability. This makes the third time in a row lmao

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

P5A getting an english dub and official U.S physical release

Yay dub.
Ideally it comes to funimation for streaming since despite what your post and the twitter post says it's not getting a physical release in the US (as far as I'm concerned as I'm not paying $100+ for persona 5 the anime lol)

er I looked it up
5V2wpl3.png

Explore the Ultimate Anime & Manga Shop | Crunchyroll Store

Explore the Crunchyroll Store's anime and manga sales, deals, and promotions this Cyber Monday! Immerse yourself in exclusive offers, limited editions, and daily mega deals, enhancing your collection with unparalleled discounts. Don't miss out on the holiday specials that make every purchase a...

yeah lol. come on streaming. I'll import it from the UK next year :P

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Aniplex has the audacity to charge 300 and say it's suggested 400.

I bought my Xbox One X with Cyberpunk 2077 at that price.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yay dub.
Ideally it comes to funimation for streaming since despite what your post and the twitter post says it's not getting a physical release in the US (as far as I'm concerned as I'm not paying $100+ for persona 5 the anime lol)

er I looked it up
5V2wpl3.png

Explore the Crunchyroll Store's anime and manga sales, deals, and promotions this Cyber Monday! Immerse yourself in exclusive offers, limited editions, and daily mega deals, enhancing your collection with unparalleled discounts. Don't miss out on the holiday specials that make every purchase a...

But it comes with ART CARDS. Loool, that authentic JP BD pricing.
qIK9VYX.png

Granted, I'd probably pay that much for Kaguya-sama season 1+2 with a dub, but that's obscene for P5A. Wish there was a cheaper Funimation release.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
But it comes with ART CARDS. Loool, that authentic JP BD pricing.
qIK9VYX.png

Granted, I'd probably pay that much for Kaguya-sama season 1+2 with a dub, but that's obscene for P5A. Wish there was a cheaper Funimation release.
I really want to own Kaguya as well, but alas that too will have to be an import because as much as I love Kaguya I can't justify spending $300 on 24 episodes of anime when I could instead spend half of that to get all the manga lol.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yay dub.

er I looked it up
5V2wpl3.png

yeah lol

i was browsing artbooks last night and was like 'damn that's expensive' but man maybe i'm saving money by streaming instead of buying blu rays of bad shows lol

god i'm so brain hurt this is actually making me think getting a copy of Half Life 2's Raising the Bar long out of print artbook for $500 could be worth it. stupid brain

I spent $200 Aus on a complete box set of the Fruits Basket manga a number of years ago and I regret nothing.

i somehow picked up an entire Full Metal Alchemist manga collection with a fancy box for like somewhere between AUD$150-200. so good.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
P5A DUB is really nice and appealing due to the game but this set does not include the two specials (Akechi and Valentine's Day).

Gonna pass on it unless there's a sale. (It's Aniplex, so never gonna happen lol.)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, madman sales don't really cut it anymore. (though i did get a really cool legend of zelda collected comic from when they first release LTTP and they had the comics in nintendo power as cross promotion or whatever)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
P5A DUB is really nice and appealing due to the game but this set does not include the two specials (Akechi and Valentine's Day).

Gonna pass on it unless there's a sale. (It's Aniplex, so never gonna happen lol.)

It says it includes 2 specials are they different specials then?
yeah, madman sales don't really cut it anymore. (though i did get a really cool legend of zelda collected comic from when they first release LTTP and they had the comics in nintendo power as cross promotion or whatever)
yeah... I haven't seen a decent sale from madman since https://www.animeherald.com/2019/02/06/aniplex-purchases-madman-entertainments-anime-division/ happened.

https://www.anime-on-line.com/3118-clearance-sale at least still has some okay sales from time to time and ships to the US.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, I'm curious as to how they take this - IIRC the manga/LN is a LOT of the MC talking to herself.

The fights are pretty unique, but the main character definitely has a 'isekai protag magic/experience system' gobbldygook combined with an LN MC taken to the extreme in terms of rambling on.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
thanks for the clarification. the release of the persona 5 anime was such a mess that it's hard to keep track lol.

The best parts of P5A are the slice of life stuff which is why the Valentine's OVA was one of the best scenes from the anime.

JP blu-rays also had limited anime-exclusive soundtrack CDs. Also not available in this English release.
Aniplex really is just selling the DUB on blu-ray for $300...

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to own Kaguya as well, but alas that too will have to be an import because as much as I love Kaguya I can't justify spending $300 on 24 episodes of anime when I could instead spend half of that to get all the manga lol.
Honestly probably the better way to go. I pretty much just get Funi Essential/Classics releases nowadays, with the occasional Sentai sale gets. Aniplex prices are madness. Only exceptions I've made were the Madoka movies and Bakemonogatari.

Oct 25, 2017
P3 movies was the best persona set aniplex did for us, still my favorite part of my collection
SAO Alicization too.

And BLue Exorcist, and DRRR...

Still waiting on a DRRR s2/3/4 collection.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly probably the better way to go. I pretty much just get Funi Essential/Classics releases nowadays, with the occasional Sentai sale gets. Aniplex prices are madness. Only exceptions I've made were the Madoka movies and Bakemonogatari.
I have plenty of aniplex sets, but they are all from the UK or Australia lol.
both seasons of nisekoi ran me $30 total
my Madoka movies ran me $5 each
magi both seasons ran me $40 total

I just put custom firmware on my ps3 and change the region to watch them.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Healin' Good Precure 14

Even by bland festival episode standards this was an exceptionally bland festival episode. Some decent moments with Batetemouda not wanting to be an underling, Chiyu still being the competent one, and Hinata really wanting that smartphone. That's what I call relatable. I know Nodoka is supposed to be better because she's in such a good town or whatnot, but I think she's really showing that fighting monsters weekly in life or death battles is good for ones health. At least we got some lore about the previous Cure. Now how will that come into play.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What's everyone's feeling about Great Pretender?
I've just watched the first episode and had a total blast: setting, aesthetics, music, vibes... everything is straight up my alley.
And that ending! Flexing Netflix budget's there.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
BNA: Brand New Animal

I can now say I've seen a full Studio Trigger anime series. There was some nice sakuga. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Really though, that shat the bed real hard in the last episode. As soon as
Alan revealed his true form and started monologuing I said out loud, "Okay fuck this, just give me the sakuga." At least something to that effect. I also made a joke about Alan throwing an Aryan punch when he started showing his true strength, prior to his spiel about being a pureblood, which made it all the more hilarious in hindsight. Honestly did not expect them to go there.
I felt like the show didn't know what it wanted to be until halfway through, Nazuna needed to be introduced sooner. Even if they had embraced the yuri potential between Nazuna and Michiru, I don't think that could have saved this for me.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Kaguya S2 restored my strength, what a phenomenal little comedy series.

What's that good shit for this season, besides Re:Zero 2...I've already got that on my list.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Just finished Re: Zero S1 in preparation for S2, and gosh, Subaru feels too real, damn, his ideal of love and romance is truly from a teenager, i hate it, but it just makes sense and i loved the show because of it.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Oh come on! I was on the fence going "I could probably swing $300 for this" too.

Honestly, I'm curious as to how they take this - IIRC the manga/LN is a LOT of the MC talking to herself.

The fights are pretty unique, but the main character definitely has a 'isekai protag magic/experience system' gobbldygook combined with an LN MC taken to the extreme in terms of rambling on.

I bet the cut a lot of the stats speak out and dumb it down (which would unfortunately kill it for me"

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
BNA 5
This is a top of the line one off sports episode.

It's too bad it wasn't basketball though.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching A Whisker Away. Really great feel good movie. Loved the story and it was really adorable most of the time which is something that is as good as it was due to the really beautiful and well done animation.

Highly recommend if for everybody. Especially cat lovers and people that love cute stuff.

Salamande

Oct 25, 2017
There's something about the deadpan comedic editing and timing in Fire Force that just cracks me up every time. That calendar scene shouldn't have been as funny as it was.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Digimon (2020) 5
Maybe it was because I only ever watched the US release of Digimon when I was younger, but this is turning out to be far darker and far larger in scope than that ever felt. Did like the tease of all the "ultimate" transformations and a bit of a lore dump for our digidestined.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Digimon (2020) 5
Maybe it was because I only ever watched the US release of Digimon when I was younger, but this is turning out to be far darker and far larger in scope than that ever felt. Did like the tease of all the "ultimate" transformations and a bit of a lore dump for our digidestined.

The original Adventure is very dark. Like it's a children's show that does not hold back punches with death. In that regard this show has not even made a dent in darkness. It also has a lot to say about negative traits and is not afraid to tackle the possibility of abuse in their partner setup. It probably doesn't feel as dark as it used to because Tamers completely went all in on dark and mature storyline.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The original Adventure is very dark. Like it's a children's show that does not hold back punches with death. In that regard this show has not even made a dent in darkness. It also has a lot to say about negative traits and is not afraid to tackle the possibility of abuse in their partner setup. It probably doesn't feel as dark as it used to because Tamers completely went all in on dark and mature storyline.

Yeah I have a feeling Digimon won't quite go into the direction of Tamers again (sadly).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they already did that in the 2nd movie. Maybe it's due to most people remembering of the dub of it so only thinking about ska the whole time, kind of diminished that conflict.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
really? i mean they launched nuclear weapons start of this season, i'd say its dark.

I guess it's dark in that sense of "stakes" , not sure how young me would take it. What I mean by dark is deeply personal occurrences to the children that a young viewer would need to internalize: what does it mean that a character is gone forever, why did agumon evolve into a monster? Why is there a tension in the lives of Matt and TK? Things that the viewer (a child) has to process when they happen to their stand in. Otherwise the big bad is just a big bad, I would imagine.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
March comes in like Lion 35

The bullying arc was a tough day at the office.
I get the impression the manga author was/is infatuated by the idea of the ideal teacher.
Well time to see Rei get owned by Souya i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.