• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any point in breaking rocks??

If you want them to go somewhere else. If the RNG gods bless you, you might get this to happen, for example:

euETYTf.jpg

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning on terraforming and designing my island in one fell swoop.

Its gonna take a while. I'm prepping for it now and I'm wondering...

...it'd probably save me a shitload of time and effort to just cut down all of my trees and sell all of my flowers, right? As opposed to just moving them all to some other corner of the island temporarily, working around them, and then moving them again. I don't care about my flowers and I can just regrow the trees and move a few if I must once they're fully grown.
Quoting for visibility, could really use some advice here.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If you place a pattern that has at least 1 pixel of transparency on top of a path the opacity of the whole pattern is lowered and keeps the path's bumpmap:

EUx_rwlUcAYnR_1

2 is a wooden plank pattern I made atop a dirt path.

jeez this is super cool. Honestly never liked making ground patterns because of how fake they end up looking but this makes me want to play with them

really they should just let us make normal maps for our patterns though haha

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I sold most of my turnips earlier in the week as the price during the last few days, especially today, were abysmal. Made a modest profit.

Battle Born

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Today was kind of a bittersweet day at my island. KK Slider held his first concert earlier today. And one of my OG Villagers, Agnes, is moving out tomorrow. Coincidentally she decided to do so the day after I sent her a letter hoping we would share a lot of great adventures together.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess after Easter and you get all the egg recipes the finalized products can probably be sold for a decent amount?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
So when should i go to mystery islands to invite more villagers? Build the campsite and the 4th villager is coming tomorrow. Do i first need to build more houses in order to invite people?

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Today was kind of a bittersweet day at my island. KK Slider held his first concert earlier today. And one of my OG Villagers, Agnes, is moving out tomorrow. Coincidentally she decided to do so the day after I sent her a letter hoping we would share a lot of great adventures together.
I mean you can stop her from moving, they ask you.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
then I have the shittest luck, because I've been balloon farming 3+ hours today and saw zero red or blues. 90% bunny with the occasional yellow
I think one "normal" balloon spawns every 5 minutes or something? They're really common. Got like 5 recipes today and I'm not really hunting for them.
If your luck stays bad send me a message and I'll see if I have any duplicates.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think one "normal" balloon spawns every 5 minutes or something? They're really common. Got like 5 recipes today and I'm not really hunting for them.
If your luck stays bad send me a message and I'll see if I have any duplicates.

I just played around with it a bit it should be every 5-10 minutes. They also seem to spawn from the same direction everytime? Atleast they did for me. Probably changes daily or so? No clue.

Oct 25, 2017
be careful when playing if you didn't fully restart the game when daylight savings rolls back -- you can and will lose your turnips, apparently

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Apparently, if K.K. got unlocked for you today, he won't make an additional appearance this evening.

This sucks. =/
Good to know. I'm still at two stars and was wondering if I could make my island three stars today. If there's no point in hustling right now, I'll just play it chill and hope I get enough done in the next few days.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
do i need to wait until the construction is finished?

You don't have to build furniture or anything this time. You just pay 10k bells for a plot of land (which you then have to place down somewhere), and then should immediately go to islands to recruit someone for it. If you don't recruit before the next day, a random villager will probably move in instead.

Note that if you buy multiple plots at once, you can still only recruit one person per day and so will likely end up with a random villager.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
You don't have to build furniture or anything this time. You just pay 10k bells for a plot of land (which you then have to place down somewhere), and then should immediately go to islands to recruit someone for it. If you don't recruit before the next day, a random villager will probably move in instead.

Note that if you buy multiple plots at once, you can still only recruit one person per day and so will likely end up with a random villager.
Thanks!

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is there a reason to pay the final 2,4 million loan? There won't be any rooms to add after that. Do you unlock something (outside of probably a Nook Miles achievement)?

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I asked K.K. Slider to play K.K. Smoove and at the end he told me he didn't know what the fuck I was talking about and just played some random song in his repertoire. I bet he'll pull the same bullshit when I ask him to play K.K. Simmons next week...

Oct 25, 2017
Is there only so much you can do per day? I'm waiting for my house construction and museum. I've done a couple of the mystery tours to get more stuff and some fishing but it feels like I'm waiting on my house and museum to progress.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Finally done farming cherry blossom recipes!

Is there only so much you can do per day? I'm waiting for my house construction and museum. I've done a couple of the mystery tours to get more stuff and some fishing but it feels like I'm waiting on my house and museum to progress.

Yeah, at certain points there's no longer any way to do infrastructure changes for the day and you need to wait until the next day for construction to finish.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
How do you like the game so far?
I really really like it. It does what New Leaf was trying to do incredibly well, while also reconnecting with a lot of the charm and quirkiness from the older games. It feels like there's a lot to know and remember about New Horizons. In 10 years we'll all be talking about how there were balloons every 2 minutes and how villagers sometimes just sit their asses down for no reason.

As we've known since June, the presentation is absolutely phenomenal. The soundtrack and visuals are superb. I love the consistent style that the hourly themes have, while incorporating some classic sounds, like the accordion (or melodica, maybe) in 6 PM. I love the new camera option too. I use it a lot, even more than I thought I would.

Overall, 10/10. It probably outranks the original for me, but I'm already starting to feel the stress and irritation at having a relatively shitty island because I don't play as much as the people I know. Certain parts already feel really grindy (pillaging resources during generic mystery tours makes me question all of my life choices), and I hope it doesn't get worse.

Additionally, the elephant in the room: it's content light. Really, really content light. That said, I actually appreciate that it cut the special characters down so much, it feels more decisive and less like it's a slave to past games. I do hope that certain aspects, Brewster and the café especially, are added back in with content updates, but I think I'd be content if they're not. The game feels confident in what it is, and its anemia in terms of characters and events feels purposeful.

To summarize, the game is fantastic, but its longevity is completely up in the air; I have no idea what it'll look like in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.