ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Should I just wait for these final updates to drop before jumping in fresh or is the current game solid enough to jump into now?
Even people who are very critical of the game (some saying it's bare bones, empty, soulless and the worst of the series ) have usually played like 800 hours of the « vanilla » version.

So I think if you buy it now, and receive the massive 2.0 update in a month you'll be quite happy with the content. You can eventually buy the DLC later if the game really clicks with you but you get a little bored.

Halloween is a nice event, it would be a shame to miss it and have to wait a year.

I played non stop every day since launch and I still have some stuff to collect and I find some new recipes from time to time. I didn't time travel and play 18 hours a day though, which can explain why many people were bored in the first few months.

There will still probably be some problems with the game after the 2.0 drops (mostly QOL)
but the game was very solid from the start imo.

Aug 12, 2019
Funny to see that they delivered a lot of the things people have been whining about, and even exceeded expectations of the most cynical streamers on some points… but people are still finding things to bitch about.

Must suck to never be satisfied with anything…

It's a great update that re-introduces a ton of wanted features and some great new content, but things like no store upgrade and certain NPCs still being missing really are little things that are going to genuinely bother longtime fans of the series who love the characters. I think the fact that it's also the last major update reeks of the Super Mario Maker 2 tagline where they dropped one huge update that made the game better and then literally just released bug fixes from that point on despite there being a ton of opportunity to add smaller little things people still wanted. Animal Crossing is currently the Switch's second best selling game and one of their greatest success stories of all time, so them cutting support with so much they could still add is gonna disappoint people no matter what when there's still additional places they could add stuff. If this is the last content update, here's a few things I know long time fans will miss:
  • Dr. Shrunk not coming back despite the fact they could have tied new reactions to him and then also his night club from the 3DS version is totally missing
  • Island Tours were a big piece of content in the 3DS version that included a lot of fun minigames that added replayability and its gone
  • The museum could easily also hold Celeste's observatory from Wild World and have her be a more permanent resident of the island
  • We only have one store upgrade, when past titles had a total of 4 upgrades. It was a great constant goal to work towards.
  • Mr. Resetti still barely features in the game and they could have had a cute little option for him like they did in the 3DS with the manhole
  • Copper and Booker are completely absent despite having a role in every prior Animal Crossing game and arguably being the most tenured NPCs in the series along Nook himself
  • Blanca and April Fools was a really neat little bonus holiday for April Fools that is also entirely missing
  • Pelly and Phyllis also have no role in the game because their role was entirely replaced by a single post card stand (I've also personally hated that change, they should have had a booth in the airport or worked in the town hall)
  • While the Mario themed stuff was great, there are still a ton of really cool Nintendo themed content missing from this title and that's despite the fact that Metroid and Zelda are having huge anniversaries with new titles and the development team makes Splatoon and could have some fun with that
  • There's still several Villagers missing that may be people's favorites.
  • There's a ton of classic furniture sets we haven't seen as well
  • Numerous QoL fixes could also still be implemented.
And I'm sure I've forgot plenty of stuff too. Now I don't necessarily expect them to put everything in this game post launch, but if this is the last major content update, this means a lot of stuff will continue to be missing and other things that people love just isn't gonna show up in any form. Again, it's a great update that will re-vitalize the game for millions and that's fantastic, but people are allowed to be disappointed when certain features, characters, and items aren't showing back up or have been entirely phased out.

Jan 31, 2019
Really exciting to see that in the paid DLC you can build fences and paths in a much more efficient manner (new interface). Do we think that terraforming, as well as path and fence construction, will get this upgraded interface on the home island? Could be a game changer for me …

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Really exciting to see that in the paid DLC you can build fences and paths in a much more efficient manner (new interface). Do we think that terraforming, as well as path and fence construction, will get this upgraded interface on the home island? Could be a game changer for me …
Please god let them make changes to terraforming. That shit is a nightmare.

Jan 31, 2019

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get that. I just don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to use the same technique in the main game. Feel like it will be hard to go back to the old way after using the new design tool for paths and fences from the dlc.
The resort plots are just glorified rooms. They don't have to deal with multiple levels, having to figure out how to pause time for the whole town, having to navigate the whole thing since it's not all on one screen, having to restrict the camera, having to deal with the town square, airport, beaches, piers, etc. There's a lot they would have to do to make it work for the island, it's probably not theoretically impossible but it's not simple. Plus given how much the game can already chug on highly decorated islands it makes sense they wouldn't bother trying to impalement the home decorating tools for it.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

Lirose

May 30, 2018
Holy shit

...?!

A lot of that returning stuff or mostly new?

There's a whole bunch of returning stuff. Lots of sets that were in NL are coming back like Rococo, Ranch, Sleek, Sloppy amongst others. Then there's also stuff that was never in ACNL but was in Happy Home Designer for 3DS. But there's also a whole bunch of never seen before completely new items. Someone on Reddit compiled a list of the items from the videos and there's more that was in the Japanese website but not included here.

New ACNH Items

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I have not played the game for 6 months. Should I go back and so some stuff while I prepare for the new content?

Jan 31, 2019
The resort plots are just glorified rooms. They don't have to deal with multiple levels, having to figure out how to pause time for the whole town, having to navigate the whole thing since it's not all on one screen, having to restrict the camera, having to deal with the town square, airport, beaches, piers, etc. There's a lot they would have to do to make it work for the island, it's probably not theoretically impossible but it's not simple. Plus given how much the game can already chug on highly decorated islands it makes sense they wouldn't bother trying to impalement the home decorating tools for it.

Dream killed lol. This is the reply I didn't want but is most likely.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
It just occurred to me that with the DLC, since we can invite our neighbors to sign up for vacation homes, that should be a neat way to let your villagers move away without having to fully say goodbye. You can let them leave your town, but you'll still be able to go back and visit them on the archipelago. I'm just sad I let Butch and Marina go before this was a possibility, lol.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I just realized when I traded in my Switch for an OLED that I think just lost all progression

If you didn't do the island transfer using the specific app, then yes. Islands are tied to the Switch itself, not a save file or user profile.

However, if you had the cloud backup enabled for the game (its own specific in-game thing, not just regular cloud saves), then you should be able to contact Nintendo to get it transferred to your new Switch, I believe.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great update that re-introduces a ton of wanted features and some great new content, but things like no store upgrade and certain NPCs still being missing really are little things that are going to genuinely bother longtime fans of the series who love the characters. I think the fact that it's also the last major update reeks of the Super Mario Maker 2 tagline where they dropped one huge update that made the game better and then literally just released bug fixes from that point on despite there being a ton of opportunity to add smaller little things people still wanted. Animal Crossing is currently the Switch's second best selling game and one of their greatest success stories of all time, so them cutting support with so much they could still add is gonna disappoint people no matter what when there's still additional places they could add stuff. If this is the last content update, here's a few things I know long time fans will miss:
  • Dr. Shrunk not coming back despite the fact they could have tied new reactions to him and then also his night club from the 3DS version is totally missing
  • Island Tours were a big piece of content in the 3DS version that included a lot of fun minigames that added replayability and its gone
  • The museum could easily also hold Celeste's observatory from Wild World and have her be a more permanent resident of the island
  • We only have one store upgrade, when past titles had a total of 4 upgrades. It was a great constant goal to work towards.
  • Mr. Resetti still barely features in the game and they could have had a cute little option for him like they did in the 3DS with the manhole
  • Copper and Booker are completely absent despite having a role in every prior Animal Crossing game and arguably being the most tenured NPCs in the series along Nook himself
  • Blanca and April Fools was a really neat little bonus holiday for April Fools that is also entirely missing
  • Pelly and Phyllis also have no role in the game because their role was entirely replaced by a single post card stand (I've also personally hated that change, they should have had a booth in the airport or worked in the town hall)
  • While the Mario themed stuff was great, there are still a ton of really cool Nintendo themed content missing from this title and that's despite the fact that Metroid and Zelda are having huge anniversaries with new titles and the development team makes Splatoon and could have some fun with that
And I'm sure I've forgot plenty of stuff too. Now I don't necessarily expect them to put everything in this game post launch, but if this is the last major content update, this means a lot of stuff will continue to be missing and other things that people love just isn't gonna show up in any form. Again, it's a great update that will re-vitalize the game for millions and that's fantastic, but people are allowed to be disappointed when certain features, characters, and items aren't showing back up or have been entirely phased out.

To me, all of this just comes across as petty (nook upgrades and mini-games aside). You'll never be satisfied if you have a laundry list of things like this. There's just a point where you need to accept that these aren't and weren't going to be in this version of Animal Crossing. The devs had a completely different goal for the game which caused them to have different priorities and pick and choose what to shove into this Animal Crossing.

Oct 27, 2017

NH

New Horizons is its own game and people often forget that. There's always room to add more stuff into the game but it's not our call nor our vision. The 3DS had lots of content, but imo failed to capture the essence of Animal Crossing. The NPC's were absolutely dull. True, we don't have as many NPC's as we did back in New Leaf, but NL completely cut down all meaningful interaction/backstories with those characters: no interactions with Blathers (he's babbling even returned in this game, which was completely absent in NL), no Able Sisters back stories, etc. Even now, with the returning characters like Harriet or Brewster it looks like we're gonna learn more from them than we ever did in the past games! Even Celeste, while not having her observatory back (which was also removed in New Leaf), at least returned to her roots with the constellations! (Unlike her role in NL which was meaningless).

I'm also saddened to see that many of my favorite features were gone, like the store upgrades. But I'm not upset about it, tbh. True, there were more upgrades before, but our current store holds just as many items as the latest upgrade in the previous games. Besides, a Nookingtons kind of shop wouldn't suit the aesthetics of every island.

I also love some fan favorite NPC's (personally, Gracie, who is also missing and I'm sad to say goodbye to). But Copper and Booker were pretty meh in the past games. Like, WW and CF, all they did was help you connect to your wifi and that was it. Like, I don't feel like being a staple NPC to the game is reason enough to make the cut.

Sure, many villagers are missing but also, the game holds the most villagers EVER in the series with new fan favorites. As for the furniture sets, we've already seen through the direct that many fan favorite furniture sets are returning like the rococo, ranch, sleek, convenience store, etc. The game holds the most amount of furniture in the entire series, so I'm not upset that a few sets are abstent.

NH completely transformed and included game-changing features to the game. You should understand the game for what it is, not hope for the game to become something it's not. Not only are we able to decorate outside, but re-shape our island, make paths, place fences, move our houses/villager houses, move trees, jump through rivers, cook and farm veggies/fruits, make walls/columns in our houses, etc. It's so much that they've added that it's hard for me to go back and fully enjoy previous AC.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Even people who are very critical of the game (some saying it's bare bones, empty, soulless and the worst of the series ) have usually played like 800 hours of the « vanilla » version.

So I think if you buy it now, and receive the massive 2.0 update in a month you'll be quite happy with the content. You can eventually buy the DLC later if the game really clicks with you but you get a little bored.

Halloween is a nice event, it would be a shame to miss it and have to wait a year.

I played non stop every day since launch and I still have some stuff to collect and I find some new recipes from time to time. I didn't time travel and play 18 hours a day though, which can explain why many people were bored in the first few months.

There will still probably be some problems with the game after the 2.0 drops (mostly QOL)
but the game was very solid from the start imo.

I always found it extremely bizarre when i saw people (both here and other places) so desperate every month to catch all the fishes, all the bugs, all the recipies, collect everything in such a small time. When the Redd update came there were people who time travelled to complete the art collection in fucking days. I understand and respect that people can play however they want but I do think that this tendency of "I must have everything right now" helped to burn out a lot of people. Like the game isn't perfect but I really didn't get or feel that the game lacked that much content in comparison to NL.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Do we know if the Sloppy Set is coming back after the update? That's probably the furniture set from NL that I was the saddest to see missing in NH. We have the sloppy rug, but I loved the furniture with clutter, scarves hanging off it etc.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know if the Sloppy Set is coming back after the update? That's probably the furniture set from NL that I was the saddest to see missing in NH. We have the sloppy rug, but I loved the furniture with clutter, scarves hanging off it etc.
They did Benjamin so dirty by stripping him of his sloppy set.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I think so. Halfway down on the right in this picture looks like what could be a sloppy bed.

new-furniture2-png.404177

Aug 12, 2019
To me, all of this just comes across as petty (nook upgrades and mini-games aside). You'll never be satisfied if you have a laundry list of things like this. There's just a point where you need to accept that these aren't and weren't going to be in this version of Animal Crossing. The devs had a completely different goal for the game which caused them to have different priorities and pick and choose what to shove into this Animal Crossing.

New Horizons is its own game and people often forget that. There's always room to add more stuff into the game but it's not our call nor our vision. The 3DS had lots of content, but imo failed to capture the essence of Animal Crossing. The NPC's were absolutely dull. True, we don't have as many NPC's as we did back in New Leaf, but NL completely cut down all meaningful interaction/backstories with those characters: no interactions with Blathers (he's babbling even returned in this game, which was completely absent in NL), no Able Sisters back stories, etc. Even now, with the returning characters like Harriet or Brewster it looks like we're gonna learn more from them than we ever did in the past games! Even Celeste, while not having her observatory back (which was also removed in New Leaf), at least returned to her roots with the constellations! (Unlike her role in NL which was meaningless).

I'm also saddened to see that many of my favorite features were gone, like the store upgrades. But I'm not upset about it, tbh. True, there were more upgrades before, but our current store holds just as many items as the latest upgrade in the previous games. Besides, a Nookingtons kind of shop wouldn't suit the aesthetics of every island.

I also love some fan favorite NPC's (personally, Gracie, who is also missing and I'm sad to say goodbye to). But Copper and Booker were pretty meh in the past games. Like, WW and CF, all they did was help you connect to your wifi and that was it. Like, I don't feel like being a staple NPC to the game is reason enough to make the cut.

Sure, many villagers are missing but also, the game holds the most villagers EVER in the series with new fan favorites. As for the furniture sets, we've already seen through the direct that many fan favorite furniture sets are returning like the rococo, ranch, sleek, convenience store, etc. The game holds the most amount of furniture in the entire series, so I'm not upset that a few sets are abstent.

NH completely transformed and included game-changing features to the game. You should understand the game for what it is, not hope for the game to become something it's not. Not only are we able to decorate outside, but re-shape our island, make paths, place fences, move our houses/villager houses, move trees, jump through rivers, cook and farm veggies/fruits, make walls/columns in our houses, etc. It's so much that they've added that it's hard for me to go back and fully enjoy previous AC.

I'm aware New Horizons is a different game with a lot of different focuses relative to other games in the series and is its own thing, but I was also posting a list to highlight how people might be disappointed, especially with the absence of certain series staples or content they cared about. I think a lot of people were hopeful for more updates, but a lot of them sort of petered out after fall of last year. And that was obviously in service of this 2.0 + Happy Home Paradise DLC, but I think it still bothers people they didn't add more little things peopled cared about along the way and that some beloved NPCs are not gonna make the cut since content is now winding down. Especially in the modern era of games, I think people are more eager to see more long-term support, especially for such an incredibly successful game too.

I think with 2.0 + Happy Home Paradise, the game improves substantially, but I think people really enjoyed the game for a while until they realized the more long term elements of the past titles wasn't quite as prevalent and they noticed how much charm and eccentricities had been scrubbed once the honeymoon period wore off. The game has done quite a decent job in improving on that and working on that over time, but there are still certainly areas I believe people want to see improvements still and do really miss NPCs who were streamlined right out of the game while the same game refuses to implement certain QoL features elsewhere.

And I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have hoped more of New Leaf's best elements would make it back in or that we might see more expansions to the game that added in stuff beyond this 2.0 update. I'm extremely glad we're getting all this update because I honestly had a bad feeling we might just get nothing and have to call it a day at base game plus one year of meaningful updates, so that's at least big enough for me to enjoy it, but there's just so much opportunity to continue updating and bringing back so many beloved NPCs (and some of base games baffling decisions can't really be corrected unfortunately). And I'm not saying everything has to return in every single game, but there's also plenty of stuff that absolutely could still have a meaningful place here that people would really enjoy. And yeah New Leaf made mistakes just as New Horizons did, but New Leaf also went really above and beyond with a lot of things that helped it out immensely, and I've never been quite as on board with New Horizons changes I guess which makes some of the absences sting all the more to me.

For me, the biggest things are still gonna be the lack of Store Upgrades (I know the Nook's Cranny has a lot of stuff, but extremely little is actually displayed and that's the sort of bad QoL feature in my mind that takes away from the charm when they just shove everything in one cabinet for you to pick from) because of how much it provided a great focus for end game in every single other title, the lack of Resetti (I really think they should have done more with him, he's still one of my most beloved NPCs in AC and maybe even gaming in general), Gracie (Which I did forget to mention the first time, but her functionality and just general style added to the game is sorely missed), and the Minigames/Island Tours given the replayability and variety they added to New Leaf. And then just I really thought they were gonna do more with Nintendo anniversaries given how much they could easily pull into the game from Zelda for example.

I really think it's more of the 2.0 is a fantastic update with a great piece of DLC coming to, but it also feels like there's a lot of untapped potential and people are always gonna miss their beloved prior content.

Apr 26, 2020
I always found it extremely bizarre when i saw people (both here and other places) so desperate every month to catch all the fishes, all the bugs, all the recipies, collect everything in such a small time. When the Redd update came there were people who time travelled to complete the art collection in fucking days. I understand and respect that people can play however they want but I do think that this tendency of "I must have everything right now" helped to burn out a lot of people. Like the game isn't perfect but I really didn't get or feel that the game lacked that much content in comparison to NL.

The way how you can costumize your whole island gives immidietly more to do than New Leaf for me, the only thing i miss from that game are the tetris like game and the Island survive minigame. Oh and i guess the hide and seek thing you could do with villagers

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware New Horizons is a different game with a lot of different focuses relative to other games in the series and is its own thing, but I was also posting a list to highlight how people might be disappointed, especially with the absence of certain series staples or content they cared about. I think a lot of people were hopeful for more updates, but a lot of them sort of petered out after fall of last year. And that was obviously in service of this 2.0 + Happy Home Paradise DLC, but I think it still bothers people they didn't add more little things peopled cared about along the way and that some beloved NPCs are not gonna make the cut since content is now winding down. Especially in the modern era of games, I think people are more eager to see more long-term support, especially for such an incredibly successful game too.

I think with 2.0 + Happy Home Paradise, the game improves substantially, but I think people really enjoyed the game for a while until they realized the more long term elements of the past titles wasn't quite as prevalent and they noticed how much charm and eccentricities had been scrubbed once the honeymoon period wore off. The game has done quite a decent job in improving on that and working on that over time, but there are still certainly areas I believe people want to see improvements still and do really miss NPCs who were streamlined right out of the game while the same game refuses to implement certain QoL features elsewhere.

And I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have hoped more of New Leaf's best elements would make it back in or that we might see more expansions to the game that added in stuff beyond this 2.0 update. I'm extremely glad we're getting all this update because I honestly had a bad feeling we might just get nothing and have to call it a day at base game plus one year of meaningful updates, so that's at least big enough for me to enjoy it, but there's just so much opportunity to continue updating and bringing back so many beloved NPCs (and some of base games baffling decisions can't really be corrected unfortunately). And I'm not saying everything has to return in every single game, but there's also plenty of stuff that absolutely could still have a meaningful place here that people would really enjoy. And yeah New Leaf made mistakes just as New Horizons did, but New Leaf also went really above and beyond with a lot of things that helped it out immensely, and I've never been quite as on board with New Horizons changes I guess which makes some of the absences sting all the more to me.

For me, the biggest things are still gonna be the lack of Store Upgrades (I know the Nook's Cranny has a lot of stuff, but extremely little is actually displayed and that's the sort of bad QoL feature in my mind that takes away from the charm when they just shove everything in one cabinet for you to pick from) because of how much it provided a great focus for end game in every single other title, the lack of Resetti (I really think they should have done more with him, he's still one of my most beloved NPCs in AC and maybe even gaming in general), Gracie (Which I did forget to mention the first time, but her functionality and just general style added to the game is sorely missed), and the Minigames/Island Tours given the replayability and variety they added to New Leaf. And then just I really thought they were gonna do more with Nintendo anniversaries given how much they could easily pull into the game from Zelda for example.

I really think it's more of the 2.0 is a fantastic update with a great piece of DLC coming to, but it also feels like there's a lot of untapped potential and people are always gonna miss their beloved prior content.

But again, I feel it's because people are holding on to what New Leaf was. And I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that many (if not most) of the current fan community of AC started the series with New Leaf. And tbf, NL was a big exception to the series as a whole. It added a lot in comparison to the previous titles but honestly don't see how it even compares to the amount of content that NH has given us. And I totally get that people are upset and disappointed that many of their most beloved features didn't make a return (including some NPC) but every game evolves in different ways.

Like I remember hearing people say this was an unfinished game and it lacked content and yet people were investing 1.000 hours into it, like ???

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is definitely some unrealistic standards some people have... But it's not just the AC fandom... Look at all the people still upset about Smash Bros even though it literally had every single character and a ton of new ones. The fact that it's still missing some modes will always irk some people.

To be fair, i think a lot of it is Nintendo's own fault. As far as gaming, they've always been ultra conservative with their properties. Rarely taking risks or making big changes between iterations. So people came to expect the same, but more.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I personally still can't believe that we never got the store (or at least a spot, if for God sake they don't want to add buildings) where we can officially put 3-8 items up, choose a price and have the ability for people visiting in MP (or heck, maybe even in dreams for full reachability) to purchase them. That would be so fun and good.
I haven't seen anyone mentioning this in ages, so I did now, cause I still miss this incredibly much.

Aug 12, 2019
But again, I feel it's because people are holding on to what New Leaf was. And I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that many (if not most) of the current fan community of AC started the series with New Leaf. And tbf, NL was a big exception to the series as a whole. It added a lot in comparison to the previous titles but honestly don't see how it even compares to the amount of content that NH has given us. And I totally get that people are upset and disappointed that many of their most beloved features didn't make a return (including some NPC) but every game evolves in different ways.

Like I remember hearing people say this was an unfinished game and it lacked content and yet people were investing 1.000 hours into it, like ???

Sure, New Leaf was an important and essential stepping stone for Animal Crossing to get to this point and was the on boarding for millions of fans, but I don't think its just nostalgia keeping people beholden to it. While it had missteps, I don't any AC before it had ever had such a satisfying sense of constant progression to it. You were building the town over time, re-establishing a main street with exciting new shops and store fronts and the mayoral placing of structures had a lot of weight behind it. It takes a long time to get anywhere in New Leaf really and its a steady build-up. New Horizons, unfortunately, has a huge amount of content that is suddenly front loaded and trails off the longer you play. New Horizons has a pretty fantastic set of opening hours with steady progress, but it begins to run out of steam much more quickly than other titles in the series where the long term goals could keep you playing for hours.

There's technically so much to do and work with, but a lot of those systems aren't always quite as engaging as they feel like they should be. Crafting becomes a bit of a crutch for the game content wise, and it feels like there's no real progression because of it. Working up to Gold Tools used to be special in prior games for example, but because Gold is so rare and it doesn't result in a permanent tool with special attributes, what used to be a compelling set of endgame quest lines have been reduced to novelties for collecting purposes. Island terraforming is great for the right player and does allow for the most unique towns ever in the series. I'll give credit where credit is due there. But it's also still a really clunky tool to use and it's one of those tools that feels like a ton of work went into it over maybe some of the more core stuff.

And I could probably forgive all the missteps New Horizons makes in bad decisions for the sake of innovation or streamlining NPCs into basic functions that suck the charm out if the villagers hadn't been the worst they'd ever been in the series. I think if any part of New Horizons feels unfinished, it's the absolute ton of villagers that have nothing to do or say. They're sterilized so heavily into their respective personality types that it absolutely feels like something huge is missing from the series and the fact that we're just now getting stuff like visiting their homes or having them show up is actually kind of ridiculous. It does hurt the game on a fundamental level because I still love visiting villagers in past games and seeing their unique and funny lines, while in New Horizons, it feels like a chore of seeing which phrase the RNG is going to give from this personality type's limited pool. Yes, that was generally true in past games to an extent too, but New Horizons is the worst offender of repeated dialogue and just nonsensical villager statements.

I think that's how people were able to dump so many hours into the game early on, and that was assisted by content updates that at least through the Fall of 2020 managed to keep people semi-engaged and that's also where things sort of petered out for a lot of fans as there was no more new content to engage with. And that's when cracks begin to show and people ended up seeing the game more as it actually was than how they'd been enamored with it until that point. New Horizons made such a good first impression and had a decent string of content updates to keep people busy. I think the end game is New Horizons biggest weakness, and while this certainly helps a lot with 2.0 and especially Happy Home Paradise, there's still going to be a lot of missing elements and just charm from the past games that I think New Horizons could really use as much of as possible.

JustJosh

Dec 11, 2018
Wisconsin, USA 🐮
I just got an OLED Switch, and after catching up on the Animal Crossing Direct made the decision not to transfer my island and start over. It's been over a year since I played, and I'm ready for a ....

New Horizon 😆

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I just got an OLED Switch, and after catching up on the Animal Crossing Direct made the decision not to transfer my island and start over. It's been over a year since I played, and I'm ready for a ....

New Horizon 😆
This is how I feel too. I haven't touched the game in almost a year now, and just revisiting the old thing wouldn't be fun! It would just be uncomfortable to start changing stuff.

If I'm gonna return to the game, I'll for sure start over from scratch. Then I can have a more natural progress too, with unlocking new fun things like the farming and uh, diving and whatever else I've missed.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, New Leaf was an important and essential stepping stone for Animal Crossing to get to this point and was the on boarding for millions of fans, but I don't think its just nostalgia keeping people beholden to it. While it had missteps, I don't any AC before it had ever had such a satisfying sense of constant progression to it. You were building the town over time, re-establishing a main street with exciting new shops and store fronts and the mayoral placing of structures had a lot of weight behind it. It takes a long time to get anywhere in New Leaf really and its a steady build-up. New Horizons, unfortunately, has a huge amount of content that is suddenly front loaded and trails off the longer you play. New Horizons has a pretty fantastic set of opening hours with steady progress, but it begins to run out of steam much more quickly than other titles in the series where the long term goals could keep you playing for hours.

There's technically so much to do and work with, but a lot of those systems aren't always quite as engaging as they feel like they should be. Crafting becomes a bit of a crutch for the game content wise, and it feels like there's no real progression because of it. Working up to Gold Tools used to be special in prior games for example, but because Gold is so rare and it doesn't result in a permanent tool with special attributes, what used to be a compelling set of endgame quest lines have been reduced to novelties for collecting purposes. Island terraforming is great for the right player and does allow for the most unique towns ever in the series. I'll give credit where credit is due there. But it's also still a really clunky tool to use and it's one of those tools that feels like a ton of work went into it over maybe some of the more core stuff.

And I could probably forgive all the missteps New Horizons makes in bad decisions for the sake of innovation or streamlining NPCs into basic functions that suck the charm out if the villagers hadn't been the worst they'd ever been in the series. I think if any part of New Horizons feels unfinished, it's the absolute ton of villagers that have nothing to do or say. They're sterilized so heavily into their respective personality types that it absolutely feels like something huge is missing from the series and the fact that we're just now getting stuff like visiting their homes or having them show up is actually kind of ridiculous. It does hurt the game on a fundamental level because I still love visiting villagers in past games and seeing their unique and funny lines, while in New Horizons, it feels like a chore of seeing which phrase the RNG is going to give from this personality type's limited pool. Yes, that was generally true in past games to an extent too, but New Horizons is the worst offender of repeated dialogue and just nonsensical villager statements.

I think that's how people were able to dump so many hours into the game early on, and that was assisted by content updates that at least through the Fall of 2020 managed to keep people semi-engaged and that's also where things sort of petered out for a lot of fans as there was no more new content to engage with. And that's when cracks begin to show and people ended up seeing the game more as it actually was than how they'd been enamored with it until that point. New Horizons made such a good first impression and had a decent string of content updates to keep people busy. I think the end game is New Horizons biggest weakness, and while this certainly helps a lot with 2.0 and especially Happy Home Paradise, there's still going to be a lot of missing elements and just charm from the past games that I think New Horizons could really use as much of as possible.

I think we can just agree to disagree because frankly I don't see how the other series had more in-depth long term goals than NH. Like, getting gold/silver tools in GCN/WW/CF was a thing because it was some of the very few things you could actually achieve, as the games were very limited compared to what NH is now. Like, name another long-term goal for GCN/WW/CF besides the golden/silver tools that were unique to those games. NH had a storyline, at least, with actual objectives placed as Nook Miles (which is something completely unique to the series and serves as actual short to mid-long term goals to completing the game). And while the game, imo, is not meant to be played as a completionist kinda game, it allows you to do so in many ways: tools (more than in any AC series), clothes (more than in any AC series), furniture (more than in any AC series), crafting list (unique to the series), paths (unique to the series), terraforming tools (unique to the series), etc.

Why is crafting a crutch? Care to elaborate on that? Endgame quest lines, what? Since when has that been the focus of AC? Elaborate on that because I can't quite get what you mean.

I'm really surprised to read what you're saying. Like, the villagers are downgraded? How? In New Leaf literally all you did was fetch/deliver items for them and that was that. The dialogue and interactions in NH are far better than NL and very on par with the other in the series (where they basically had limited things to do). And unless there's actual proof you can show to what you're saying, I don't believe how NH dialogue is repetitive. If anything, I'm still getting new dialogue now (and I've invested over 500 hours). ALL AC games have had repetitive dialogue, because it ends eventually. NL dialogue and villager interaction (besides the hide and seek game) was garbage.

If anything, NH has brought back some of the charm from the previous (original) entries. Imo, it's the nostalgia goggles. No AC games are perfect. I've gone back to GCN and WW and they all have missteps. Even the dialogue in GCN, even though it's my favorite in the series, had tons of repetitive dialogue leaning on tutorial stuff and teaching you stuff you already know. Your take reads like someone who hasn't really played much of the original games recently, tbh.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Yeah the update really doesn't fix the core issues I had with the game. The store is still tiny, so good luck actually finding the furniture you're after, and it doesn't help you get the items tied to recipes that you never get given. They didn't say anything about villager dialogue, so they're all going to be saying the same thing over and over still. There's plenty of events and roaming NPCs who it looks like we're not gonna see. We're not getting minigames of any sort either, whereas New Leaf started with some and got some more substantial ones in its big update. When it all adds up, it makes the game feel hollow. Their focus with New Horizons has been on customisation and decoration at the expense of all else, even the DLC is basically decoration god mode. I'm hoping this is just because of issues during development and not a sign of the direction they want to take things going forwards.

It doesn't help that just as the game's being brought close to on par with the previous games they say that they're not doing any more significant updates. A regularly updated Animal Crossing sounded great, especially knowing the level of support they gave Splatoon, but instead it just resulted in the game being empty for the longest time and the updates being used to add in things we already had in other games. I know the team would have been going through a lot these past couple of years but it doesn't mean that the issues I have with the game aren't there and won't stay there.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the update really doesn't fix the core issues I had with the game. The store is still tiny, so good luck actually finding the furniture you're after, and it doesn't help you get the items tied to recipes that you never get given. They didn't say anything about villager dialogue, so they're all going to be saying the same thing over and over still. There's plenty of events and roaming NPCs who it looks like we're not gonna see. We're not getting minigames of any sort either, whereas New Leaf started with some and got some more substantial ones in its big update. When it all adds up, it makes the game feel hollow. Their focus with New Horizons has been on customisation and decoration at the expense of all else, even the DLC is basically decoration god mode. I'm hoping this is just because of issues during development and not a sign of the direction they want to take things going forwards.

It doesn't help that just as the game's being brought close to on par with the previous games they say that they're not doing any more significant updates. A regularly updated Animal Crossing sounded great, especially knowing the level of support they gave Splatoon, but instead it just resulted in the game being empty for the longest time and the updates being used to add in things we already had in other games. I know the team would have been going through a lot these past couple of years but it doesn't mean that the issues I have with the game aren't there and won't stay there.

All AC games end up with repetitive dialogue, if anything, they've added new dialogue in the updates because I'm still getting new dialogue (after 500 hours in) and talking to my villagers every day.

Any significant events that are missing? I can think of April Fools, but NH has included lots of new ones and even included updates to current events. They also went more in-depth in many of the current events.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
All AC games end up with repetitive dialogue, if anything, they've added new dialogue in the updates because I'm still getting new dialogue (after 500 hours in) and talking to my villagers every day.

Any significant events that are missing? I can think of April Fools, but NH has included lots of new ones and even included updates to current events. They also went more in-depth in many of the current events.

Even the dialogue for past few month has been about cooking or something HHP related. Cesar always talking about sailing away to some mysterious islands.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The problem with NH's dialogue specifically is that villagers are programmed to always give you some standard greeting dialogue the first time you talk to them each day and then they always make some pointless comment on whatever you did the day before. They do this literally every day and there's very little variance to it, so despite the huge amount of dialogue in the game, you're always seeing those same few quotes every day before you have a chance of seeing anything different. And if you only play for a short time each day, you're probably not wanting to bother sitting through the dialogue you KNOW will be repeats for every villager. I still can't understand why they did it this way.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
The problem with NH's dialogue specifically is that villagers are programmed to always give you some standard greeting dialogue the first time you talk to them each day and then they always make some pointless comment on whatever you did the day before. They do this literally every day and there's very little variance to it, so despite the huge amount of dialogue in the game, you're always seeing those same few quotes every day before you have a chance of seeing anything different. And if you only play for a short time each day, you're probably not wanting to bother sitting through the dialogue you KNOW will be repeats for every villager. I still can't understand why they did it this way.
I know it's been said before about past updates, but this really has been improved with the 1.11 update. I imagine a lot of people who're coming back with 2.0 will be pleasantly surprised.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I know it's been said before about past updates, but this really has been improved with the 1.11 update. I imagine a lot of people who're coming back with 2.0 will be pleasantly surprised.
Did they actually fix this? I stopped playing ages ago so I might actually talk to my villagers again in prep for the new update lol

Drove my nuts how they'd just keep commenting on the same things over and over

Luchadorable

Jan 14, 2018
the most frustrating thing about the dialogue for me is villagers repeating lines that my other villagers have said. it's to the point where I had villagers move in and I've not wanted to interact with them because they've said a couple lines one of my favourite villagers have said - which means it's likely that my favourite will end up saying things I've heard from the new villager

for me, I'd really benefit from having the option to have LESS villagers. more than any other the villagers in this just feel like the same personality type with a different skin

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't like about the dialogues, is that if you talk to them more than 3 times they get pissed at you, especially the Big Sis personality, I ended up hating that whole villager category.
Also the Cranky being acting like old grandpa and the other ones who won't shut up about bugs, yeah it gets VERY repetitive, I didn't remember being annoyed like that in New Leaf.

Edit : I'm talking about the French localization so there's still a chance they're not that rude in English.

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
the most frustrating thing about the dialogue for me is villagers repeating lines that my other villagers have said. it's to the point where I had villagers move in and I've not wanted to interact with them because they've said a couple lines one of my favourite villagers have said - which means it's likely that my favourite will end up saying things I've heard from the new villager

for me, I'd really benefit from having the option to have LESS villagers. more than any other the villagers in this just feel like the same personality type with a different skin
This reminds me of how sometimes they'll ask you questions about other human players but NEVER let you give an actual answer. I'd love to leave secret messages so they tell my friends if they ever talked to them.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I sort of agree that people burn through games in general way too quick, but the Redd thing was some bullshit. I went weeks without seeing him at all, and there was even a chance he could show up with all fakes :(
Really glad he can get a permanent shop with the new update

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Did they actually fix this? I stopped playing ages ago so I might actually talk to my villagers again in prep for the new update lol

Drove my nuts how they'd just keep commenting on the same things over and over
Not sure which update came with new dialogue, but I've been pleasantly surprised to have some new lines from my villagers - some quite fun.

At some point I had 3 lazy villager and 3 sporty ones - I heard a lot of stories about bugs and abs… but I've been hearing new jokes lately.

Hopefully chatting with villagers at the cafe will bring some new personality traits and little stories about the characters.

I must admit the removal of some of the abrasive comments some villagers made in the previous games probably caused the sentiment of "sterilisation " of the personalities.

Removing Resetti because children cried when he scolded them also contributed to smooth the angles at the detriment of the quirkiness. Making him optional in New leaf was a better solution. (he's the only NPC I really miss)

Can't wait to decorate his home and meet him in the cafe though.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Can't wait to decorate his home and meet him in the cafe though.
I would be pretty surprised if Resetti is available for that. I don't expect the special characters that aren't already (visibly) in the game to be modeled and programmed in just for amiibo purposes. Would be cool if I'm wrong, though.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a list of all the QoL updates ACNH has received since launch and has over previous games in the series?

My wife is someone that came to ACNH as her first in the series and has since played New Leaf, and she doesn't like New Leaf nearly as much as New Horizons. Pocket management and storage management are 2 major drawbacks for her. It makes it really hard for to get into that game for extended periods of time because of how cumbersome it feels. She also really loves decorating and not being to decorate the town is a major roadblock.

As for dialogue. There is season and holiday specific dialogue, not to mention how they comment on nearby objects. It's a lot more diverse than people give it credit for in ACNH. As someone that has played every single dat since launch, I'm still either seeing new dialogue or seeing dialogue I've forgotten.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
I sort of agree that people burn through games in general way too quick, but the Redd thing was some bullshit. I went weeks without seeing him at all, and there was even a chance he could show up with all fakes :(
Really glad he can get a permanent shop with the new update

Oh don't get me wrong I totally get that. The RNG can be shit with Redd, I'm lucky enough that i got him relatively frequently lol. Is just that I saw some people that did that like days after the update came just because they wanted the collection complete right now and not because of how infrequent and unfair he is.

Which again, people can play however they want, is just that for me that way to play it can make it so you get tired of the game quicker and also make it seems like the game has no content :p.

Oct 27, 2017
So my wife and I do the whole primary/secondary system thing with our ps4s, does this game sharing thing work the same with switch?

like could I buy the AC DLC on my account, and make her switch my primary, would she then be able to play that DLC on her system with her account and I play it on my system (the secondary) on my account while connected to the internet?

really don't want to have to pay $50 for two copies of the dlc if I don't have to. Haven't done that on Xbox and ps since 2013