• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
A lot of the new additions seem exciting but I wonder how much they will break the game design. Like what's the point of the rotating shops on the island now if you can just build permanent locations for all the vendors?

The point is, you need like 300 In-game hours and a year of playing to even get to this point and since how incredibly rare some of them popped up, at that point, you just deserve to unlock a permanent solution.
I'll bet completely expanding the whole place and unlocking everything will take another 2 months or so, so that's completely fine.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The point is, you need like 300 In-game hours and a year of playing to even get to this point and since how incredibly rare some of them popped up, at that point, you just deserve to unlock a permanent solution.
I'll bet completely expanding the whole place and unlocking everything will take another 2 months or so, so that's completely fine.

and you'd still get the nice 'wandering past' randomness of the visitors (I assume) - you have to head over to harvey for the rest which means a specific trip. Different things really.

Are the advanced decoration options (hanging lights, partitions, feature walls, pillars etc) all blocked behind the DLC? so you can't apply them to your own home or residents without the DLC?

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hm, guess none of this stuff interests me that much. I always liked the collection aspect of AC, but the more tangible stuff that there isn't a billion kinds of (like fish/fossils vs furniture). Most of these additions seem to be aesthetic and decorating focused which doesn't do much for me - my island is kind of a mess and I could never be bothered changing anything because it's not my style. So probably not enough to get me back to playing the game.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
After this update, is there any content present on New Leaf that New Horizons is still missing?
Off the top of my head, and assuming none of this is secretly in the update:
  • Characters such as Blanca, Pelly, Phyllis, Pete, Wendell, Chip, Nat, Joan, Gracie, DJ K.K. Copper and Booker
  • Nook shop upgrades
  • Police Station
  • Nightclub
  • GracieGrace and associated furniture sets
  • Museum exhibition rooms and gift shop
  • Tortimer Island, with variety of minigames
  • Happy Home Showcase (they're adding one for the DLC designs, but this one was for personal homes)
  • Various events throughout the year (e.g. April Fools Day)
  • Fruit such as Bananas, Lychees, Mangoes, Persimmons etc.
  • Perfect fruit, fertilizer and all associated mechanics
  • Tree stump designs
  • Gem ore and associated furniture customisations
  • A few bugs and fish that were never carried forward for some reason
I think the missing shops/venues and characters are the major one, really.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Any chance some of those npc characters will return to harv Island? The direct said there will be more new content in 2.0

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It all looks so flipping lovely. The free stuff is more my scene and enough to get me to pick it back up, but for artsy types the paid DLC looks substantial and well worth it. People are going to make some amazing creations.

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
Just amazing. This completely exceeded my expectations - I'm sooo happy!! COOKING!!

Also Redd at the camp area! Assuming they restock daily... that is soooo much easier! I'm also surprised we got Katrina, I figured since they added her to the phone app that was her only chance lol

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Are the advanced decoration options (hanging lights, partitions, feature walls, pillars etc) all blocked behind the DLC? so you can't apply them to your own home or residents without the DLC?
Ceiling furniture and accent walls are obtained through Nook Miles in the free update. Partitions, pillars, different lighting, ambient noises, polishing items, etc. are from the DLC.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Are we sure stuff like DLC items can't be picked up by others from friends and being traded? Maybe there's no lock on items and you just can't travel to the resort and play the DLC.

RetroHippie

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 12, 2021
It's up on the eshop (but can't preorder yet) with some new pictures not shown in the Direct. The second to last picture shows what looks to be like a "vine set" that presumably is crafted with the vines from the Kapp'n islands. Neat.

Oct 25, 2017
I really missed the town ordinance from New Leaf.
So useful when needing to visit shops late or keeping the place free of weeds.

I'm so glad it's back.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I just rewatched with my roommates, including the biggest AC fan I know IRL. We're all so dang stoked.
I can't believe how much they packed into it, and there's so many little elements that will bring so much to the game. Like accented walls and counters. Ahhh!!!! There's too much to look forward to I can't even remember half of it lmao.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
25 bucks for that kind of DLC is a tall ask. Will have to think about it real hard. The free update is baller tho.

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
Are we sure stuff like DLC items can't be picked up by others from friends and being traded? Maybe there's no lock on items and you just can't travel to the resort and play the DLC.

I would assume, if they lock it in anyway, it would be like the Sanrio items.
Those you could get from friends freely, you just couldn't order them without the cards - right?

I can't believe how much they packed into it, and there's so many little elements that will bring so much to the game. Like accented walls and counters. Ahhh!!!! There's too much to look forward to I can't even remember half of it lmao.

This is a rare time where if someone asks me what my favorite part is... I can't answer. I don't know! Usually when that happens it's because nothing good was shown - but in this case there was soooo much goodness I can't choose!

Really am looking forward to cooking though, heheh...

任天堂ファン

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
I am surprised at how many details and additions there were. I am really happy but with so many new things I kind of wish the island were bigger because to have everything would leave my island cluttered and cramped. I'll have to remove my Mario Land section to make way for a farm I think. I also wish that we had the competitive games return from New Leaf, they were fun and simple games that gave you something to do with friends.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is a rare time where if someone asks me what my favorite part is... I can't answer. I don't know! Usually when that happens it's because nothing good was shown - but in this case there was soooo much goodness I can't choose!

Really am looking forward to cooking though, heheh...
I feel exactly the same way! Cooking and growing crops looks super cool though, I agree. Going to be nice to have an allotment on the island and see villagers admiring the tomatoes haha.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
A lot of the new additions seem exciting but I wonder how much they will break the game design. Like what's the point of the rotating shops on the island now if you can just build permanent locations for all the vendors?

I'm been wondering about this, too, and I am thinking there might be two possibilities here:

1. The same vendors still rotate visits to your island. When they visit, they have their full stock available. On Harv's island, they have a reduced stock. If you notice Redd's trailer on Harv's island, he is selling two pieces of artwork (compared to his usual 4 pieces) and no furniture.

2. All or at least some of the visiting NPCs are replaced by new visitors. It could make a lot of sense for Gracie, for example, to come in as a replacement for Saharah or Label.

Sadly, I think #1 is the likelier option, as if there *were* new island visitors, I see no reason why Nintendo wouldn't have just revealed that in the Direct.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I would assume, if they lock it in anyway, it would be like the Sanrio items.
Those you could get from friends freely, you just couldn't order them without the cards - right?
Yes, people can receive the Sanrio furniture, but it doesn't register in their catalog (and thus become re-orderable) unless they've scanned the cards themselves. I'd be very surprised if any DLC-exclusive furniture couldn't at least be gifted to other players.

Will the villagers in the islands stay there permanently?
They said you can go back and redecorate past houses with new options you unlock later, which implies the vacation homes stay there until you decide to tear them down. I doubt it's permanent permanent, since with only 48-49 plots and seemingly a different request for every single animal + NPC that can be scanned, it wouldn't make sense to hard limit the player to only one use per plot.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
They said you can go back and redecorate past houses with new options you unlock later, which implies the vacation homes stay there until you decide to tear them down. I doubt it's permanent permanent, since with only 48-49 plots and seemingly a different request for every single animal + NPC that can be scanned, it wouldn't make sense to hard limit the player to only one use per plot.
if it's like how Happy Home Designer worked, the plots don't get used up when you pick one. It's mainly to give you choices on the landscape and layout for the villagers, and you choose to visit them from a list rather than a map.

They might change it for this, but I kind of doubt it given how close this already is to HHD in every other way.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
if it's like how Happy Home Designer worked, the plots don't get used up when you pick one. It's mainly to give you choices on the landscape and layout for the villagers, and you choose to visit them from a list rather than a map.

They might change it for this, but I kind of doubt it given how close this already is to HHD in every other way.
At one part when they were on the map screen, it showed animal icons in a couple places, indicating those plots were in use.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
At one part when they were on the map screen, it showed animal icons in a couple places, indicating those plots were in use.
The roommate thing might throw a spanner in the works but I'd be really surprised if it's actually locking you out of those options until you evict someone.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I hope they add: Ability to put flower plants in storage. Got WAY too many flowers on my island with nowhere to store them if I want to put the upcoming new stuff on my island

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Does the happy home paradise dlc unlock a lot more furniture for the base game?
The DLC will surely give easier access to some of the new furniture, but no furniture is locked behind it, only advanced decorating options like partition walls and different lighting. Worst case scenario is you'd just have to find someone who has the DLC and get the furniture from them.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I feel exactly the same way! Cooking and growing crops looks super cool though, I agree. Going to be nice to have an allotment on the island and see villagers admiring the tomatoes haha.

I started laughing at myself when I was looking for a spot for the crops to go and got so happy when I realized I had a nice little stretch behind my house lol

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I gave 200,000 and a couple of keepsakes to my kids to hold onto and then I deleted my save, 200 hours down the drain lol.

It was scary but now starting again I remember just how awesome this game is! It feels great to have a fresh start on a really different island and I should be able to get a decent way in in 2 weeks in time for the new content! This time I'll also be avoiding turnips as I feel they break the economy in a way that's fun for 2 weeks and then you have done everything and it's less fun.

Nov 5th can't come fast enough!

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I gave 200,000 and a couple of keepsakes to my kids to hold onto and then I deleted my save, 200 hours down the drain lol.

It was scary but now starting again I remember just how awesome this game is! It feels great to have a fresh start on a really different island and I should be able to get a decent way in in 2 weeks in time for the new content! This time I'll also be avoiding turnips as I feel they break the economy in a way that's fun for 2 weeks and then you have done everything and it's less fun.

Nov 5th can't come fast enough!

Haha, are you me? I had the exact same experience when I made a new island a few days ago, remembering how much I loved the game at the start. You don't have much to do, but it just feels so peaceful and nice to kick back and take things slow? And I feel the same way about turnips and how they might have ruined the pace of the game for me so I'm avoiding them too (I do wonder with 2.0 if things'll be kind of like New Leaf with Tortimer's Island and how you can just visit a Mysterious Island with Summer climate and at night to catch all the expensive bugs).

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the new additions seem exciting but I wonder how much they will break the game design. Like what's the point of the rotating shops on the island now if you can just build permanent locations for all the vendors? Also, having to go through multiple loading screens and text to get to the shops sounds like a pain. The perfect solution would have been getting a request to create a shop on your island after a certain character has visited X amount of times. I guess now though the best way of going about things now though is to just keep the second part but make the shop be on another island. Either way if all this stuff just requires bells than I think the real time appeal of AC and the excitement of waiting for certain things to happen will be lost a bit.

gyroids are so cute tho <3
I think we'll still have vendors coming in our main island, regardless. As someone mentioned before, they seem to have less items to offer. Plus, I noticed that Leif's cart also has the veggie sign he uses for the store.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
25 bucks for that kind of DLC is a tall ask. Will have to think about it real hard. The free update is baller tho.

The town part of it, where you design these public buildings and assign roles to the villagers looks like it could be a fantastic way to interact with villagers. Also the idea of roommates in vacation homes is also a cool villager feature. It's a much more focused and videogamey type of Animal Crossing and it could have dozens if not hundreds of hours of playtime. Plus I think it might actually have atleast some semblance of a story, going by that scene of the Wardell and the Resident sitting on the beach with dialogue. It's a meaty one to me.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Are tarantula islands still the best way to get bells, save for getting lucky with the turnip economy? I want to fully pay off my loan before this drops, and the last upgrade I got was the right hand room, with like 820k bells left in the bank.

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, I think it's a fair amount to ask. It's a whole new game/experience (HHD in 3DS was $40). I guess it comes down to how much you like the designing aspect of the game. But I can see that DLC providing 200+ of game alone.

Oct 27, 2017
Are tarantula islands still the best way to get bells, save for getting lucky with the turnip economy? I want to fully pay off my loan before this drops, and the last upgrade I got was the right hand room, with like 820k bells left in the bank.
My best way of getting bells is through Nookazon. List the items you have and ask for bells! You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a lot of money out of it

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I played the game for about a month when it was released and I'm feeling the itch to play again. should I just continue or should I restart from scratch?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Home Paradise looks like it could easily be its own game. I sometimes experience analysis paralysis with remodeling my own island, so it might be more productive for me to remodel the vacation homes of NPCs on the archipelago, earning new items and construction permits along the way to then take back home.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I played the game for about a month when it was released and I'm feeling the itch to play again. should I just continue or should I restart from scratch?

Given how New Horizon's progresses kind of slowly, since it's based on real world days, I'd probably just continue rather than spend a week or two building back up to having access to everything.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Does the video imply that you can eventually design the houses of your island residents as well?

And to the same degree? Like can we make their houses wider inside too?

Yep, seems that after designing some houses on the archipelago that feature would unlock. It does says on the corner in the video that some features can't be applied to the houses on the island so I doubt we can make their houses bigger.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Happy Home Paradise looks like it could easily be its own game. I sometimes experience analysis paralysis with remodeling my own island, so it might be more productive for me to remodel the vacation homes of NPCs on the archipelago, earning new items and construction permits along the way to then take back home.

I mean on the 3DS it literally was. This is for the better though, especially since it won't be $40 (or worse yet, $60) like on the 3DS and can connect to your island.

If you want to restart you should do it now. The beginning takes a couple weeks to get going so if you wait to start when 2.0 hits you won't be far enough in the game to experience the new stuff.

Personally I restarted and I think it was for the better since it made me remember things I loved about the game and I appreciated the beginning of the game more.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I can't ever see myself giving up my catalog, DIY collection, and critters. The thought of re-collecting the seasonal balloon DIYs alone is so off-putting, lol.

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
I really with there was a new game+ or something where you could choose what to transfer over.

Or at least a way to rename my character/island and move the plaza!

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Funny to see that they delivered a lot of the things people have been whining about, and even exceeded expectations of the most cynical streamers on some points… but people are still finding things to bitch about.

Must suck to never be satisfied with anything…

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that none of the items in Happy Home Paradise are locked to that DLC.

Awesome news for those that don't want to buy it.

Might take time to get some of them in the free update but they'll be there.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
So I know people felt there wasn't a lot of furniture in the game so far (or at least sets). This is adding some - any sense of the volume they're adding?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I spotted Astro, machine/lab, rococo and alpine series. Also froggy chair!

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Funny to see that they delivered a lot of the things people have been whining about, and even exceeded expectations of the most cynical streamers on some points… but people are still finding things to bitch about.

I largely agree, but FWIW, most complaints I've seen have basically been people expressing disappointment that this is supposedly the game's last major update. That's just what I've observed, though.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
So I know people felt there wasn't a lot of furniture in the game so far (or at least sets). This is adding some - any sense of the volume they're adding?

Based on just the trailers there are already 200-300 new furniture that people have spotted in the backgrounds. In the Nintendo Japan website there are even more new items so guessing the full update would have at least double/triple what we've seen so far.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, you can be excited for the update while also still finding stuff you wanted (like multi-crafting and other QOL tweaks) that's missing or acknowledging that a lot of this is content that should've been in the base game. I don't consider either to be mutually exclusive.

Last edited: